• Understanding readings and usage

Hi,

New here, but been with PP for 9 months, so have a considerable amount of data. I am trying to understand how my given meter readings are converted in kWh and in turn into £. I have compared my usage with the previous energy supplier and PP is costing me worryingly more (and I was with First Utility). My first instinct, there must be some sort of mistake, especially when I see in Account Balance transaction history PP charged me £71.96 in May, but then credited those back in June, but before I run into conclusions, I'd like to understand how it all works.

My opening readings back in October for electricity were 3006 and latest was 4785 amounting to 1779 units of electricity used in 9 months.
    Similarly for gas, opening was 1418 and latest was 2769, totals to 1351 units used.

When I look at monthly usage breakdown for electricity it comes down to 1779.9 kWh, but for gas it's 14962.9 kWh. My first question is, how does gas get calculated from units to kWh here?

In addition, I've compared my gas usage at previous supplier and for the same period it was 12441 kWh (1121 units). So PP is costing us roughly £135 more. And we are not even home during office hours compared to last year when I was on maternity leave. Something doesn't add up. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Tap below to see the best answer
    Last edited by Rouze; 29-06-19 at 05:42. Reason: Mistake in text
  • Hi,

New here, but been with PP for 9 months, so have a considerable amount of data. I am trying to understand how my given meter readings are converted in kWh and in turn into £. I have compared my usage with the previous energy supplier and PP is costing me worryingly more (and I was with First Utility). My first instinct, there must be some sort of mistake, especially when I see in Account Balance transaction history PP charged me £71.96 in May, but then credited those back in June, but before I run into conclusions, I'd like to understand how it all works.

My opening readings back in October for electricity were 3006 and latest was 4785 amounting to 1779 units of electricity used in 9 months.
    Similarly for gas, opening was 1418 and latest was 2769, totals to 1351 units used.

When I look at monthly usage breakdown for electricity it comes down to 1779.9 kWh, but for gas it's 14962.9 kWh. My first question is, how does gas get calculated from units to kWh here?

In addition, I've compared my gas usage at previous supplier and for the same period it was 12441 kWh (1121 units). So PP is costing us roughly £135 more. And we are not even home during office hours compared to last year when I was on maternity leave. Something doesn't add up. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hello Rouze.
    Welcome to the community.
    Electric is easy so we can start there. The meter measures in kwh so a direct comparison to statement is simple.
    1779 units = 1779 kwh charge on statement

Gas is a biy harder.
    Usually gas meter will measure in M3 this then gets converted into KWH and shows on your statement as such.so 1121 units is 12441kwh (is all about calorific value google will give you the maths)charge on statement.

As for extra 135 in charges . Simply put you have used more gas and leccy so you have to pay more, but remember the weather last year was a long and hot spring and summer where as this year the sun finally made an apperance on tuesday, so i would of expected more heat and hot water would of been used this year compared to last.and i would presume gas and leccy is more expensive now than it was 12 months ago so that has to be factored in also.
    Last edited by Jon1; 29-06-19 at 05:41.
  • Hello Rouze.
    Electric is easy so we can start there. The meter measures in kwh so a direct comparison to statement is simple.

Gas is a biy harder.
    Usually gas meter will measure in M3 this then gets converted into KWH and shows on your statement as such.so 1121 units is 12441kwh (is all about calorific value google will give you the maths)charge on statement.

As for extra 135 in charges . Simply put you have used more gas and leccy so you have to pay more, but remember the weather last year was a long and hot spring and summer where as this year the sun finally made an apperance on tuesday, so i would of expected more heat and hot water would of been used this year compared to last.and i would presume gas and leccy is more expensive now than it was 12 months ago so that has to be factored in also.

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hello Rouze.

Gas is a biy harder.

Thank you John for explanation. I found a rough online calculator and the conversion seems alright. So perhaps you're right, we simply used up more gas this year, whole month's worth of gas, even though we weren't heating the house during the day, but probably increasing the temperature much more during the evenings and nights
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hello Rouze.

Gas is a biy harder.

Thank you John for explanation. I found a rough online calculator and the conversion seems alright. So perhaps you're right, we simply used up more gas this year, whole month's worth of gas, even though we weren't heating the house during the day, but probably increasing the temperature much more during the evenings and nights

• Hi Rouze,

If you look on your statement from PP...... ON The right hand side, you will find the calculations that PP have used for your gas conversion from m3 to kWh
    Gray4276
  • Hi Rouze,

If you look on your statement from PP...... ON The right hand side, you will find the calculations that PP have used for your gas conversion from m3 to kWh
    Gray4276

• Units x Correction Factor x Calorific Value x Metric Conversion x Conversion Factor / Tariff wth VAT Total kWt
    5.00 1.02264 *39.200 2.83 3.6 3.3810 31.51321973
    5.1132 200.43744 567.2379552 157.57 532.73 £ 5.33
    100 x 2.83 x 1.02264 x *39.2 ÷ 3.6 = 3151.3 KW

*Monthly calorific value subject to change as noted on your monthly statement
    Tariff based on my region
    Red denotes unit to kWt
    Last edited by Strutt G; 29-06-19 at 12:15.

• Units x Correction Factor x Calorific Value x Metric Conversion x Conversion Factor / Tariff wth VAT Total kWt
    5.00 1.02264 *39.200 2.83 3.6 3.3810 31.51321973
    5.1132 200.43744 567.2379552 157.57 532.73 £ 5.33
    100 x 2.83 x 1.02264 x *39.2 ÷ 3.6 = 3151.3 KW

*Monthly calorific value subject to change as noted on your monthly statement
    Tariff based on my region
    Red denotes unit to kWt

• Pheww glad i aint got gas.
  • Pheww glad i aint got gas.

• Feeling hot J1
  • Feeling hot J1

• Name:  gasgone.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  25.6 KB
    ​just in case...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Pheww glad i aint got gas.
  • Name:  gasgone.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  25.6 KB
    ​just in case...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Pheww glad i aint got gas.

• Just an extreme example from my single glazed cottage (read fridge). I take weekly readings and this last week of hot weather has seen the lowest gas consumption of the last 11 months. Back during the coldest week of winter the consumption was 14x more, so subtle variations in temperature year on year will have an impact on your consumption.
  • Just an extreme example from my single glazed cottage (read fridge). I take weekly readings and this last week of hot weather has seen the lowest gas consumption of the last 11 months. Back during the coldest week of winter the consumption was 14x more, so subtle variations in temperature year on year will have an impact on your consumption.

• Hey @StruttG,

Am I missing something.......?? Is/was it an "in-joke" that I'm not aware of......??

​Sorry if I'm being a bit thick !!
    Gray4276
  • Hey @StruttG,

Am I missing something.......?? Is/was it an "in-joke" that I'm not aware of......??

Gray4276

• yes...Strutty's taste in music...
    ​(no value judgement implied...move along...nothing to see here..)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hey @StruttG,

• yes...Strutty's taste in music...
    ​(no value judgement implied...move along...nothing to see here..)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hey @StruttG,

• Have you considered secondary double glazing?
    Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    Just an extreme example from my single glazed cottage (read fridge). I take weekly readings and this last week of hot weather has seen the lowest gas consumption of the last 11 months. Back during the coldest week of winter the consumption was 14x more, so subtle variations in temperature year on year will have an impact on your consumption.
  • Have you considered secondary double glazing?
    Just an extreme example from my single glazed cottage (read fridge). I take weekly readings and this last week of hot weather has seen the lowest gas consumption of the last 11 months. Back during the coldest week of winter the consumption was 14x more, so subtle variations in temperature year on year will have an impact on your consumption.

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Have you considered secondary double glazing?
    Lol no. It's a rented property and the landlord is scrooge. We're actually moving at the end of the month because we've had enough of the tight landlord and incompetent letting agents. It took 3 months for them to get the heating working correctly when we moved in and only then after I withheld the rent - and I found out from the guy who did the work that he'd undercut other quotes by £100. So for the sake of a £100 saving whilst scrooge scoured the northern hemisphere for the cheapest heating engineer, we froze. It's taken 7 months to get the bathroom door fixed so it closes properly (3 months of that without a door knob because it sheared off struggling to close the warped door), and when sewage started seeping out from a manhole it took 2 weeks to get someone out!!

All other maintenance I've done myself to avoid endless waits, but there comes a point where enough is enough. The next place we're renting looks to be the total opposite, a landlord who takes pride his house - e.g. a kitchen heaving with Neff appliances, unlike the Howden's crap we've had at the current place. So happier times ahead and hopefully lower bills, maybe I'll be back to PP too,
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Have you considered secondary double glazing?
    Lol no. It's a rented property and the landlord is scrooge. We're actually moving at the end of the month because we've had enough of the tight landlord and incompetent letting agents. It took 3 months for them to get the heating working correctly when we moved in and only then after I withheld the rent - and I found out from the guy who did the work that he'd undercut other quotes by £100. So for the sake of a £100 saving whilst scrooge scoured the northern hemisphere for the cheapest heating engineer, we froze. It's taken 7 months to get the bathroom door fixed so it closes properly (3 months of that without a door knob because it sheared off struggling to close the warped door), and when sewage started seeping out from a manhole it took 2 weeks to get someone out!!

All other maintenance I've done myself to avoid endless waits, but there comes a point where enough is enough. The next place we're renting looks to be the total opposite, a landlord who takes pride his house - e.g. a kitchen heaving with Neff appliances, unlike the Howden's crap we've had at the current place. So happier times ahead and hopefully lower bills, maybe I'll be back to PP too,

• Hey Dave,

So glad to hear that your accommodation issues are getting sorted out 🙏 It sounds like it was a bit of a nightmare. It's a pity there's not a Trust Pilot type App to rate your current landlord.

​Come back to PP.......you know it makes sense 😎 🖖

Gray4276
  • Hey Dave,

So glad to hear that your accommodation issues are getting sorted out 🙏 It sounds like it was a bit of a nightmare. It's a pity there's not a Trust Pilot type App to rate your current landlord.

​Come back to PP.......you know it makes sense 😎 🖖

Gray4276

• I did larf Dave, but what an absolute nightmare 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀👎👎👎👎👎
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I did larf Dave, but what an absolute nightmare 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀👎👎👎👎👎
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

• oohhh, I'm laughing, but only because the last thing you want to hear about is double glazing... what's that well known phrase
    ​"When you're up to your ar*e in alligators it's difficult to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp."
    I hope it all works out OK for you

• oohhh, I'm laughing, but only because the last thing you want to hear about is double glazing... what's that well known phrase
    ​"When you're up to your ar*e in alligators it's difficult to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp."
    I hope it all works out OK for you