• Best British summer holiday spots?

Hey everyone,

With the current heatwave and sunshine in the UK, I was wondering what some of the best UK summer destinations are and what your top recommendations would be?

I went to Falmouth last summer and absolutely loved it. It'd be great to start doing more 'staycations' and seeing the beautiful things the UK has to offer, especially when the sun is shining whether that's beaches, historical sites or long walks, anything goes!

Name:  fal.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.43 MB

My boat trip in Falmouth last summer
  • Hey everyone,

With the current heatwave and sunshine in the UK, I was wondering what some of the best UK summer destinations are and what your top recommendations would be?

I went to Falmouth last summer and absolutely loved it. It'd be great to start doing more 'staycations' and seeing the beautiful things the UK has to offer, especially when the sun is shining whether that's beaches, historical sites or long walks, anything goes!

Name:  fal.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.43 MB

My boat trip in Falmouth last summer
  • Long weekend, I like Scarborough - it's a couple of hours from where I live and on the east coast. Picturesque enough, stuff to do and not as tacky as Skegness

For a longer stay. I love North Devon. We stopped in a newly converted barn last few times, on a working farm which the kids loved. And the hot tub. half an hour to bude beach, barnstaple or wollacombe.

But I often find it's better value to go abroad.
  • Long weekend, I like Scarborough - it's a couple of hours from where I live and on the east coast. Picturesque enough, stuff to do and not as tacky as Skegness

For a longer stay. I love North Devon. We stopped in a newly converted barn last few times, on a working farm which the kids loved. And the hot tub. half an hour to bude beach, barnstaple or wollacombe.

But I often find it's better value to go abroad.
  • I don’t think you can beat Bournemouth, for the lovely beach and sea anyway. Divine. 🏖

Also love Paignton, altho tad tacky and chavvy now 👎sadly, but thru 80s loved holidaying there at my grandparents bungalow, five mins from sea front. Delightful memories💕💕💕.

Best memories tho, are those 1970s childhood 💕holidays, when a six week school summer holiday meant six weeks of absolute heatwave☀️😎, and two weeks holiday camps to either Rhyl, Great Yarmouth or Skegness 😂😂😂😂. Fantastic holiday chalets or caravans, and such great family fun. Beautiful lifelong memories.

Todays scorcher has been beyond divine 🙀☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️😎😎😎😎 😅😅😅😅😅, sat out in it all afternoon. Wonderful to get those Vitamin D rays naturally!
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I don’t think you can beat Bournemouth, for the lovely beach and sea anyway. Divine. 🏖

Also love Paignton, altho tad tacky and chavvy now 👎sadly, but thru 80s loved holidaying there at my grandparents bungalow, five mins from sea front. Delightful memories💕💕💕.

Best memories tho, are those 1970s childhood 💕holidays, when a six week school summer holiday meant six weeks of absolute heatwave☀️😎, and two weeks holiday camps to either Rhyl, Great Yarmouth or Skegness 😂😂😂😂. Fantastic holiday chalets or caravans, and such great family fun. Beautiful lifelong memories.

Todays scorcher has been beyond divine 🙀☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️😎😎😎😎 😅😅😅😅😅, sat out in it all afternoon. Wonderful to get those Vitamin D rays naturally!

WALT WHITMAN
  • British holidays hmmmm only ones of those ive had were the ones i got dragged too by me mother. Skegness in a caravan sounds idealistic to some but we only lived in boston all of 20 miles away.my god she was cheap. Was never really a holiday when you went most weekends for a quid on the train with ya mates.
    Sad to say after that life experiance if i could not afford a foreign holiday then i didnt have one.
  • British holidays hmmmm only ones of those ive had were the ones i got dragged too by me mother. Skegness in a caravan sounds idealistic to some but we only lived in boston all of 20 miles away.my god she was cheap. Was never really a holiday when you went most weekends for a quid on the train with ya mates.
    Sad to say after that life experiance if i could not afford a foreign holiday then i didnt have one.
  • Did make me larf Jonny 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • Did make me larf Jonny 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • Unless you have teenagers in tow, quiet places are the best places. When our kids were young we camped or caravanned on Forestry Commision campsites or small, working farm campsites. We found the more 'entertainment' a place had to offer the quicker the kids got bored. Take them to a place which had nothing, then their imagination took over and they would play outside all day.

Parts of the UK we visited and enjoyed: North and south Wales, Norfolk, Kirkcudbrightshire, Northumberland.
    Places we visited and did not enjoy: Devon & Cornwall (roads too busy), Lake District (undoubtedly pretty, but mobbed and expensive campsites)

​We're off tomorrow. Heading for Shropshire.
  • Unless you have teenagers in tow, quiet places are the best places. When our kids were young we camped or caravanned on Forestry Commision campsites or small, working farm campsites. We found the more 'entertainment' a place had to offer the quicker the kids got bored. Take them to a place which had nothing, then their imagination took over and they would play outside all day.

Parts of the UK we visited and enjoyed: North and south Wales, Norfolk, Kirkcudbrightshire, Northumberland.
    Places we visited and did not enjoy: Devon & Cornwall (roads too busy), Lake District (undoubtedly pretty, but mobbed and expensive campsites)

• Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Unless you have teenagers in tow, quiet places are the best places. When our kids were young we camped or caravanned on Forestry Commision campsites or small, working farm campsites. We found the more 'entertainment' a place had to offer the quicker the kids got bored. Take them to a place which had nothing, then their imagination took over and they would play outside all day.

Ha, I love the lake district - we know a great little B&B in Grasmere. Fair to say not flash but homely and run by the nicest people ever.

We did go to North Wales though in a static caravan - loved that. They had a swimming pool onsite where we swam every day
  • Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Unless you have teenagers in tow, quiet places are the best places. When our kids were young we camped or caravanned on Forestry Commision campsites or small, working farm campsites. We found the more 'entertainment' a place had to offer the quicker the kids got bored. Take them to a place which had nothing, then their imagination took over and they would play outside all day.

Ha, I love the lake district - we know a great little B&B in Grasmere. Fair to say not flash but homely and run by the nicest people ever.

We did go to North Wales though in a static caravan - loved that. They had a swimming pool onsite where we swam every day
  • If you like sand, sea and surf ( and not to commercial) Gower coastline is a perfect venue. 🌞🌞
  • If you like sand, sea and surf ( and not to commercial) Gower coastline is a perfect venue. 🌞🌞
  • Quote Originally Posted by David j View Post
    If you like sand, sea and surf ( and not to commercial) Gower coastline is a perfect venue.
    Hmmmm good tip @David j
    I've just booked a week off for the end of September. Anywhere along in the Gower in particular you'd recommend? For about 3 nights.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

If you like sand, sea and surf ( and not to commercial) Gower coastline is a perfect venue.
    Hmmmm good tip @David j
    I've just booked a week off for the end of September. Anywhere along in the Gower in particular you'd recommend? For about 3 nights.

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hmmmm good tip @David j
    Hi Marc, what type of ‘short break’ are you looking for, e.g. walking, biking, surfing, chill out, etc, you are obviously not expecting heat at the end of September.
    Regards,
    ​Dai
    Hmmmm good tip @David j
    Hi Marc, what type of ‘short break’ are you looking for, e.g. walking, biking, surfing, chill out, etc, you are obviously not expecting heat at the end of September.
    Regards,
    ​Dai
    Regards,
    ​Dai
    Chilling. A bit of walking on the beach (well, meandering......!)

Regards,
    ​Dai

​😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
    ​😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
    Morning Marc, just about to leave for a day with the grandchildren 😄🌞. Regarding the “big chill” your looking for, Mumbles would be a great base to explore Gower - it’s a small coastal village on the edge of Gower with a coastal path that meanders to Caswell & Langland beaches first. However, if your looking for a “challenge”, you can walk the coast line all day deeper into Gower (or you can sit and watch the world go by on Langland beach, with a beverage of your choice).
    Bye for now,
    ​D 👍👍
    Morning Marc, just about to leave for a day with the grandchildren 😄🌞. Regarding the “big chill” your looking for, Mumbles would be a great base to explore Gower - it’s a small coastal village on the edge of Gower with a coastal path that meanders to Caswell & Langland beaches first. However, if your looking for a “challenge”, you can walk the coast line all day deeper into Gower (or you can sit and watch the world go by on Langland beach, with a beverage of your choice).
    Bye for now,
    ​D 👍👍
    Morning Marc, just about to leave for a day with the grandchildren ������������. Regarding the “big chill” your looking for, Mumbles would be a great base to explore Gower - it’s a small coastal village on the edge of Gower with a coastal path that meanders to Caswell & Langland beaches first. However, if your looking for a “challenge”, you can walk the coast line all day deeper into Gower (or you can sit and watch the world go by on Langland beach, with a beverage of your choice).
    Bye for now,
    ​D
    Thanks @David j
    I'll check that out. I've heard of Mumbles.
    Have a wonderful day with the grandchildren! Looks like another scorcher!

Morning Marc, just about to leave for a day with the grandchildren ������������. Regarding the “big chill” your looking for, Mumbles would be a great base to explore Gower - it’s a small coastal village on the edge of Gower with a coastal path that meanders to Caswell & Langland beaches first. However, if your looking for a “challenge”, you can walk the coast line all day deeper into Gower (or you can sit and watch the world go by on Langland beach, with a beverage of your choice).
    Bye for now,
    ​D
    Thanks @David j
    I'll check that out. I've heard of Mumbles.
    Have a wonderful day with the grandchildren! Looks like another scorcher!

• Enjoy Dai 👍👏, beautiful weather 😎☀️🍦

WALT WHITMAN
  • Enjoy Dai 👍👏, beautiful weather 😎☀️🍦

WALT WHITMAN
  • I'm looking to go surfing - just found out our favourite (and the cheapest) campsite in North Devon has been changed and it's now only electric pitches or expensive surf cabins

Going a bit further south towards Cornwall or going across to Wales, probably Pembrokeshire way, is looking likely now!

Unless anyone knows of any good campsites for pitching up a tent in/around Woolacombe/Ilfracombe/Croyde?

Agreed with @Oakbank it can get reeeally busy around that area though. Last time I went we found a route through millions of backstreet country lanes to avoid the traffic and ended up stuck behind a tractor instead
  • I'm looking to go surfing - just found out our favourite (and the cheapest) campsite in North Devon has been changed and it's now only electric pitches or expensive surf cabins

Going a bit further south towards Cornwall or going across to Wales, probably Pembrokeshire way, is looking likely now!

Unless anyone knows of any good campsites for pitching up a tent in/around Woolacombe/Ilfracombe/Croyde?

Agreed with @Oakbank it can get reeeally busy around that area though. Last time I went we found a route through millions of backstreet country lanes to avoid the traffic and ended up stuck behind a tractor instead
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Enjoy Dai ������������, beautiful weather ������☀️������
    Hi Bev, I will have to restrict my Wimbledon coverage to the highlights programme later tonight - have a great sunny day 😄🌞
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Enjoy Dai ������������, beautiful weather ������☀️������
    Hi Bev, I will have to restrict my Wimbledon coverage to the highlights programme later tonight - have a great sunny day 😄🌞
  • Llyn peninsula in North Wales especially Aberdaron. Super bakery, lovely beach. Area seems to its own microclimate. Also same area Whistling Sands highly recommended, great area for exploring rock pools with my children when younger. Happy days.
  • Llyn peninsula in North Wales especially Aberdaron. Super bakery, lovely beach. Area seems to its own microclimate. Also same area Whistling Sands highly recommended, great area for exploring rock pools with my children when younger. Happy days.
  • @Daspy Whistling Sands looks beautiful also some good surf round there apparently. Does anyone ever grow out of rock-pooling really? Still love it

I find the main issue with booking a UK holiday (if you want to be by the sea, in a tent) is that you can't bank on the weather being good... pitching a tent in the rain is not so much fun
  • @Daspy Whistling Sands looks beautiful also some good surf round there apparently. Does anyone ever grow out of rock-pooling really? Still love it

I find the main issue with booking a UK holiday (if you want to be by the sea, in a tent) is that you can't bank on the weather being good... pitching a tent in the rain is not so much fun
  • Provided the forecast stays OK (fingers and toes crossed!) I think we're going to camp in North Devon at the start of August.

Anyone know of any pretty walks or places to go around the North Devon coast?
    Want to do some day trips between surfing
  • Provided the forecast stays OK (fingers and toes crossed!) I think we're going to camp in North Devon at the start of August.

Anyone know of any pretty walks or places to go around the North Devon coast?
    Want to do some day trips between surfing