• Pure Planet Community Q&A all about solar power

Hi everyone

We recently went on a visit to a solar farm in Devon which supplies clean renewable energy to Pure Planet.

Community member @Lenny joined us and BP Lightsource on a trip to Blatchworthy Farm near Tiverton. We got the chance to question them on how the solar panels work, the impact on nearby land, maximum kWh output, and more.

We reckon other Members will also have questions about solar power, and renewable energy generally, so we’re running a community Q&A.

Post your questions in this thread and PP staffer @Pedal will reply, with help from Lightsource BP, one of our energy suppliers.

Like other community Q&As here (including one held recently with two members of our tech and product team) we’ll leave this thread open for questions for about a week.

Then we’ll close the questions and answer them a few days later in a new community post.

Over to you.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi everyone

We recently went on a visit to a solar farm in Devon which supplies clean renewable energy to Pure Planet.

Community member @Lenny joined us and BP Lightsource on a trip to Blatchworthy Farm near Tiverton. We got the chance to question them on how the solar panels work, the impact on nearby land, maximum kWh output, and more.

We reckon other Members will also have questions about solar power, and renewable energy generally, so we’re running a community Q&A.

Post your questions in this thread and PP staffer @Pedal will reply, with help from Lightsource BP, one of our energy suppliers.

Like other community Q&As here (including one held recently with two members of our tech and product team) we’ll leave this thread open for questions for about a week.

Then we’ll close the questions and answer them a few days later in a new community post.

Over to you.

• One question I meant to ask when I was on the trip was 'Do they get paid for not supplying electricity when there is over capacity?'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-switch-power/
  • One question I meant to ask when I was on the trip was 'Do they get paid for not supplying electricity when there is over capacity?'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-switch-power/
  • This is a biggie about residential solar panels:
    Now that the Feed In Tariffs (FIT) have been ended, is it true that it would effectively take 25 years or more (the further north you are, the longer it takes) before the cost of installation finally pays itself off?

Follow up query:
    If the above is true and it drives down residential solar panel take up, will there be any effect on the solar power market as a whole?
  • This is a biggie about residential solar panels:
    Now that the Feed In Tariffs (FIT) have been ended, is it true that it would effectively take 25 years or more (the further north you are, the longer it takes) before the cost of installation finally pays itself off?

Follow up query:
    If the above is true and it drives down residential solar panel take up, will there be any effect on the solar power market as a whole?
  • Did anyone ask whether there was any storage capacity built into the system?

The solution to the switching off is to either find a way of storing the excess energy, or increase the demand on the grid (export, furnaces etc.) The best solution would be to find a way to throttle the fossil powered stations back sufficiently, without taking them offline, but probably not possible as I'm sure they would do it rather than having to pay for forced downtime. It seems ridiculous to have to continue to burn fossil fuels when there is a low to no emission alternative.
    Just goes to show what a very long way we have to go...and just how precarious the grid is.
  • Did anyone ask whether there was any storage capacity built into the system?

The solution to the switching off is to either find a way of storing the excess energy, or increase the demand on the grid (export, furnaces etc.) The best solution would be to find a way to throttle the fossil powered stations back sufficiently, without taking them offline, but probably not possible as I'm sure they would do it rather than having to pay for forced downtime. It seems ridiculous to have to continue to burn fossil fuels when there is a low to no emission alternative.
    Just goes to show what a very long way we have to go...and just how precarious the grid is.
  • I'm totally lost on the Feed in Tariff etc and the anove is a good question - how long until until it pays for itself. Is it better to rent (your roof) or purchase them outright = for residential

Interested in storage too - the Tesla powerwall looks intersting - do the solar farms using something on a larger commercial scale?

I really want to get into solar but it seems a large initial cost and I've no confidence in the government that they'll promote / help with this anytime soon
  • I'm totally lost on the Feed in Tariff etc and the anove is a good question - how long until until it pays for itself. Is it better to rent (your roof) or purchase them outright = for residential

Interested in storage too - the Tesla powerwall looks intersting - do the solar farms using something on a larger commercial scale?

I really want to get into solar but it seems a large initial cost and I've no confidence in the government that they'll promote / help with this anytime soon
  • With the effency of solar panels being approx 40% of capacity are there plans to introduce storage to some solar sites to even out distribution at night.

How do you mitigate the way in which planning rules are interpreted by differant councils across the country. And do you have a preferance for the type of land suitable for mass installation.do you purchase your own land for some installs or is it all leased.
  • With the effency of solar panels being approx 40% of capacity are there plans to introduce storage to some solar sites to even out distribution at night.

How do you mitigate the way in which planning rules are interpreted by differant councils across the country. And do you have a preferance for the type of land suitable for mass installation.do you purchase your own land for some installs or is it all leased.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post

I'm with you on this Jowl....... The initial outlay is really prohibitive (for me anyway) and now that the Government has taken away the incentives for people to contemplate using Solar Panels, then the costs will only go up. Unfortunately I feel that I am too old for this to make financial sense for my family. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is what it is.
    Gray4276

I'm with you on this Jowl....... The initial outlay is really prohibitive (for me anyway) and now that the Government has taken away the incentives for people to contemplate using Solar Panels, then the costs will only go up. Unfortunately I feel that I am too old for this to make financial sense for my family. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is what it is.
    Gray4276
  • How it's decided as to what is chosen to provide power to the grid; have a read of THIS, it's absolutely fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Did anyone ask whether there was any storage capacity built into the system?

• How it's decided as to what is chosen to provide power to the grid; have a read of THIS, it's absolutely fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Did anyone ask whether there was any storage capacity built into the system?

• Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Indeed. if payback was 25 years that just about talks me to retirement age (as if I could ever afford that lol). But there will be so much development over the next few years that I don't want to commit now at that price.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Indeed. if payback was 25 years that just about talks me to retirement age (as if I could ever afford that lol). But there will be so much development over the next few years that I don't want to commit now at that price.
    Hey Jowl,

In 25yrs I'll be pushing up the daisies..... "the best daisies in the world.... Probably" Where's my Carlsberg??
    Gray4276
    Hey Jowl,

In 25yrs I'll be pushing up the daisies..... "the best daisies in the world.... Probably" Where's my Carlsberg??
    Gray4276
  • My recent quote (May 2019) for 14 PV panels + battery storage (why export excess electricity at zero pence per kWh), came to £8600. Greetland MIGHT get 3300 KWh per year out of the system. At 13 pence per kWh, this gives me a 41 year payback time. So so sad that its a non - starter.

- - - Updated - - -

This simple lecture just gets me screaming that some things should NOT be left to free market forces. Liquid Metal Batteries MIGHT be a solution, and in trying them 'big scale', an even better answer might be developed; but we have to try! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRrvxjrJ1U
  • My recent quote (May 2019) for 14 PV panels + battery storage (why export excess electricity at zero pence per kWh), came to £8600. Greetland MIGHT get 3300 KWh per year out of the system. At 13 pence per kWh, this gives me a 41 year payback time. So so sad that its a non - starter.

- - - Updated - - -

This simple lecture just gets me screaming that some things should NOT be left to free market forces. Liquid Metal Batteries MIGHT be a solution, and in trying them 'big scale', an even better answer might be developed; but we have to try! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRrvxjrJ1U
  • Never mind eh..when they ban gas fired boilers and electricity is 50p a kWh, it may look more attractive...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffM View Post
    My recent quote (May 2019) for 14 PV panels + battery storage (why export excess electricity at zero pence per kWh), came to £8600. Greetland MIGHT get 3300 KWh per year out of the system. At 13 pence per kWh, this gives me a 41 year payback time. So so sad that its a non - starter.

- - - Updated - - -

• Never mind eh..when they ban gas fired boilers and electricity is 50p a kWh, it may look more attractive...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffM View Post
    My recent quote (May 2019) for 14 PV panels + battery storage (why export excess electricity at zero pence per kWh), came to £8600. Greetland MIGHT get 3300 KWh per year out of the system. At 13 pence per kWh, this gives me a 41 year payback time. So so sad that its a non - starter.

- - - Updated - - -

• Thanks everyone for asking some great questions!
    I'm closing this thread now and we'll be posting all the answers in a new community thread soon!
    Thanks again

• Thanks everyone for asking some great questions!
    I'm closing this thread now and we'll be posting all the answers in a new community thread soon!
    Thanks again

• Hi all
    Here's a link to a post with the replies.
    Thanks again for taking part in this Q&A. Some really interesting questions

• Hi all
    Here's a link to a post with the replies.
    Thanks again for taking part in this Q&A. Some really interesting questions