Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• Meter reading

Hi guys, when I first moved into this flat my meter reading was 13327.5 it is now reading 25803.5 am I being charged correctly, my move in date was 14.01.19 , I'm asking because I'm £600 in arrears and it seems expensive
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi guys, when I first moved into this flat my meter reading was 13327.5 it is now reading 25803.5 am I being charged correctly, my move in date was 14.01.19 , I'm asking because I'm £600 in arrears and it seems expensive
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Tel thats a lot of (assuming) electricity you are using and needs to be sorted out.
    Have you done any analysis as advised in the communities previous responses, read Woz's advice?

https://community.purepla.net/threads/5972-Cost
    Last edited by Strutt G; 25-06-19 at 16:59.
  • Tel thats a lot of (assuming) electricity you are using and needs to be sorted out.
    Have you done any analysis as advised in the communities previous responses, read Woz's advice?

https://community.purepla.net/threads/5972-Cost

• The flat is all electric so no gas. Dont take long hot electric showers just bathe daily so maybe being all electric its correct but it just seems expensive for one person after owning a house and 5 people living there and it being cheaper
  • The flat is all electric so no gas. Dont take long hot electric showers just bathe daily so maybe being all electric its correct but it just seems expensive for one person after owning a house and 5 people living there and it being cheaper

• hi tel
    ​Are there 5 of you in the flat all using hot water? Have you had the heating on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    The flat is all electric so no gas. Dont take long hot electric showers just bathe daily so maybe being all electric its correct but it just seems expensive for one person after owning a house and 5 people living there and it being cheaper
  • hi tel
    ​Are there 5 of you in the flat all using hot water? Have you had the heating on?
    The flat is all electric so no gas. Dont take long hot electric showers just bathe daily so maybe being all electric its correct but it just seems expensive for one person after owning a house and 5 people living there and it being cheaper

• There is just me living in the flat and haven't used the heating since probably February, it's one bath a day one sometimes 2 washing machine loads a week and the usual daily cooking
  • There is just me living in the flat and haven't used the heating since probably February, it's one bath a day one sometimes 2 washing machine loads a week and the usual daily cooking

• Hmmm. Indeed further investigation is needed as your usage does not seem as high as your readings suggest. Various ways to do this but daily readings is a start. I would expect 10 -15 units a day as being normal.
    There is just me living in the flat and haven't used the heating since probably February, it's one bath a day one sometimes 2 washing machine loads a week and the usual daily cooking
  • Hmmm. Indeed further investigation is needed as your usage does not seem as high as your readings suggest. Various ways to do this but daily readings is a start. I would expect 10 -15 units a day as being normal.
    There is just me living in the flat and haven't used the heating since probably February, it's one bath a day one sometimes 2 washing machine loads a week and the usual daily cooking

• Hi Tel.
    Is that gas or electric?
    I presume electric and if so that is one hell of a usage you got going on there. If electric then you need to investigate fast if you have something big turned on all the time, immersion or heater would be the obvious guesses.
    If its gas then im thinking you are reading the wrong figures.
    Are these readings actually or just estimates on statement.
  • Hi Tel.
    Is that gas or electric?
    I presume electric and if so that is one hell of a usage you got going on there. If electric then you need to investigate fast if you have something big turned on all the time, immersion or heater would be the obvious guesses.
    If its gas then im thinking you are reading the wrong figures.
    Are these readings actually or just estimates on statement.

• hi Tel
    In answer to your question if the meter readings are correct then its likely you are being charged correctly, but...
    just checking you are reading the actual meter and that's kWh for electric?
    You aren't reading kwh for gas are you?
    and as jon1's reply, if that's electric 12500 in 5.5 months call it 23 weeks about 550 units a week, or over £70 a week!!
    No wonder you're £600 in arrears
    100kWh would be generous and for one person and 60 to 70 (unless you take long electric showers) would be nearer as a guess.
    So...something is wrong, is the meter actually in your flat and wired only to your flat or could it be measuring for someone else?
    If you had an immersion I doubt reach those figures unless you were running off very hot water for a long time.
    There aren't any halogen security lights on constantly are there?
    Turn everything off at the fuse board (consumer unit) and see if the meter is still reading..
    If not then one breaker at a time and see what happens.
    It's always possible that the meter is broken, but you need to do some tests at your end before assuming that or you'll get charged if they test it and it's OK
    If the meter is registering correctly you need to figure out where the energy is being used.
    Hi guys, when I first moved into this flat my meter reading was 13327.5 it is now reading 25803.5 am I being charged correctly, my move in date was 14.01.19 , I'm asking because I'm £600 in arrears and it seems expensive
  • hi Tel
    In answer to your question if the meter readings are correct then its likely you are being charged correctly, but...
    just checking you are reading the actual meter and that's kWh for electric?
    You aren't reading kwh for gas are you?
    and as jon1's reply, if that's electric 12500 in 5.5 months call it 23 weeks about 550 units a week, or over £70 a week!!
    No wonder you're £600 in arrears
    100kWh would be generous and for one person and 60 to 70 (unless you take long electric showers) would be nearer as a guess.
    So...something is wrong, is the meter actually in your flat and wired only to your flat or could it be measuring for someone else?
    If you had an immersion I doubt reach those figures unless you were running off very hot water for a long time.
    There aren't any halogen security lights on constantly are there?
    Turn everything off at the fuse board (consumer unit) and see if the meter is still reading..
    If not then one breaker at a time and see what happens.
    It's always possible that the meter is broken, but you need to do some tests at your end before assuming that or you'll get charged if they test it and it's OK
    If the meter is registering correctly you need to figure out where the energy is being used.

• Hello again.
    If you are genuinely using that much electric then its an annual bill in the 4 grand range. To me thats double what i would be happy with. It all comes down to detail, is the immersion on 24/7 what heating to you have on and for how long a faulty heater can rack big bills (from experiance)
    I would look at my consumption at least daily and do some tests to make sure ive no faulty goods, dodgy meter or someone is nicking your juice.
    Maybe a photo of readings on meter may shed some light.
  • Hello again.
    If you are genuinely using that much electric then its an annual bill in the 4 grand range. To me thats double what i would be happy with. It all comes down to detail, is the immersion on 24/7 what heating to you have on and for how long a faulty heater can rack big bills (from experiance)
    I would look at my consumption at least daily and do some tests to make sure ive no faulty goods, dodgy meter or someone is nicking your juice.
    Maybe a photo of readings on meter may shed some light.

• Hi Tel,

Something is definitely going wrong, as my fellow Community Forum friends have said.
    As soon as is practical for you, you need to carry out a consumption check and photo shoot of your meter.
    My advice is to switch off everything at your fusebox/consumer unit (and I mean everything). Take a pic of the meter reading. Then take another pic every 3 hours (to show if there is any usage). I would do this for 24hrs (if feasible). Finishing with a last pic..... this will confirm if it's your usage or possibly a faulty meter or whether someone is pinching your electricity.
    If your meter reading hasn't changed, then you need to switch in each circuit individually for about an hour or so to determine if you have 1 circuit which is eating your electricity supply.
    If you can determine that one circuit is the culprit, then you should be able to work out which (if any) item is the problem...... Please make sure that you have alternative storage for your freezer /fridge contents during your investigation.

You can post back here with some pics (if possible) and my Community Forum friends will be only too happy to help.

Good luck Tel.
    Last edited by Gray4276; 26-06-19 at 12:27.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Tel,

Something is definitely going wrong, as my fellow Community Forum friends have said.
    As soon as is practical for you, you need to carry out a consumption check and photo shoot of your meter.
    My advice is to switch off everything at your fusebox/consumer unit (and I mean everything). Take a pic of the meter reading. Then take another pic every 3 hours (to show if there is any usage). I would do this for 24hrs (if feasible). Finishing with a last pic..... this will confirm if it's your usage or possibly a faulty meter or whether someone is pinching your electricity.
    If your meter reading hasn't changed, then you need to switch in each circuit individually for about an hour or so to determine if you have 1 circuit which is eating your electricity supply.
    If you can determine that one circuit is the culprit, then you should be able to work out which (if any) item is the problem...... Please make sure that you have alternative storage for your freezer /fridge contents during your investigation.

You can post back here with some pics (if possible) and my Community Forum friends will be only too happy to help.

Good luck Tel.
    Gray4276

• Hi Tel,

Your pix....if they are for a 24hr period (as you have stated) shows a "daily" usage of aprox 10 units per day, which is not a high reading. This however would not produce the level of usage that you originally indicated as your concern.
    Are you sure that your originally quoted figures are correct.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Tel,

Your pix....if they are for a 24hr period (as you have stated) shows a "daily" usage of aprox 10 units per day, which is not a high reading. This however would not produce the level of usage that you originally indicated as your concern.
    Are you sure that your originally quoted figures are correct.
    Gray4276

• Can you post an E1 and E2 reading over the (or a) same 24 hrs?
    If the original readings you quoted were E1 only then it's even worse...
    I think E1 is the night reading, if so you've used just over 10 kWH over the night period.
    ​Your wiring doesn't go to the other flats too does it? Is it a house that's been converted into flats?
  • Can you post an E1 and E2 reading over the (or a) same 24 hrs?
    If the original readings you quoted were E1 only then it's even worse...
    I think E1 is the night reading, if so you've used just over 10 kWH over the night period.
    ​Your wiring doesn't go to the other flats too does it? Is it a house that's been converted into flats?

• Hmmmmmm,

Curiouser and Curiouser......

"Watson, I think I'm going to need a little chemical help, with this one"
    Gray4276
  • Hmmmmmm,

Curiouser and Curiouser......

"Watson, I think I'm going to need a little chemical help, with this one"
    Gray4276