• Carbon offsetting . How much should i pay.?

Whenever i take a flight historically i would just see how much the airlines website would charge me to carbon offset my ticket. Then once all booked and paid for go to the woodlands trust website and round up the cost and buy the required amount of trees. However next year im planning on going to tokyo via dubai flying with emirates airline. They may have a similar programme to say the cost of offsetting but ive not found it yet.
    So across several websites the general consensus is that i will incur 5t of carbon. Again using various websites the cost to offset this varies from £30 to £180. So im wondering does anybody have a actual clue as to what i should pay and whats best to spend it on. Is there an industry set level of cost to carbon? Or do charities and associated companies simply make it up in order to get my cash.
  • Whenever i take a flight historically i would just see how much the airlines website would charge me to carbon offset my ticket. Then once all booked and paid for go to the woodlands trust website and round up the cost and buy the required amount of trees. However next year im planning on going to tokyo via dubai flying with emirates airline. They may have a similar programme to say the cost of offsetting but ive not found it yet.
    So across several websites the general consensus is that i will incur 5t of carbon. Again using various websites the cost to offset this varies from £30 to £180. So im wondering does anybody have a actual clue as to what i should pay and whats best to spend it on. Is there an industry set level of cost to carbon? Or do charities and associated companies simply make it up in order to get my cash.
  • Don’t forget to wear your PP tee shirt in Tokyo, Jonny 🤪😂😂😂😂😂😂. I digress.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Don’t forget to wear your PP tee shirt in Tokyo, Jonny 🤪😂😂😂😂😂😂. I digress.

WALT WHITMAN
  • That's a really good idea @Jon1, I'd never thought of investing the relevant amount in the tree planting scheme.

The difference between £30 and £180 is massive! Makes you really question how it's calculated by airlines
    Th Common Wanderer blog has done quite an interesting post about this, making the point that the calculation involves "using a multitude of factors including aircraft type, class of travel, yield, cargo and route specific data such as wind conditions" but surely that means the carbon impact could only really be calculated on the day of the flight??
  • That's a really good idea @Jon1, I'd never thought of investing the relevant amount in the tree planting scheme.

The difference between £30 and £180 is massive! Makes you really question how it's calculated by airlines
    Th Common Wanderer blog has done quite an interesting post about this, making the point that the calculation involves "using a multitude of factors including aircraft type, class of travel, yield, cargo and route specific data such as wind conditions" but surely that means the carbon impact could only really be calculated on the day of the flight??
  • Hi Jon,

I recently did some research about carbon offsetting for my mileage I do for my commute, there isn’t a lot of good information out there or places to buy carbon offsets without feeling you don’t know where the money is going!

I ended up doing the same as you working out an amount and then donating to the woodland trust, carbonfootprint.com has a good calculator but I didn’t feel comfortable with buying offset from them as there wasn’t enough information.

Helen
  • Hi Jon,

I recently did some research about carbon offsetting for my mileage I do for my commute, there isn’t a lot of good information out there or places to buy carbon offsets without feeling you don’t know where the money is going!

I ended up doing the same as you working out an amount and then donating to the woodland trust, carbonfootprint.com has a good calculator but I didn’t feel comfortable with buying offset from them as there wasn’t enough information.

Helen
  • Hi helen.
    I have always offset my flights, lord knows how many trees i technically own. I am a firm believer that things like flights should all have a compulsory carbon offset charge of 125% yes people will moan and complain but they will still fly to disneyland or wherever but then at least all flights that land or leave any uk airport will be carbon positive. 2050 is not that far away.
  • Hi helen.
    I have always offset my flights, lord knows how many trees i technically own. I am a firm believer that things like flights should all have a compulsory carbon offset charge of 125% yes people will moan and complain but they will still fly to disneyland or wherever but then at least all flights that land or leave any uk airport will be carbon positive. 2050 is not that far away.
  • Article about this in the BBC today - https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48657582

Interesting to see it's becoming more 'mainstream' now, though from reading through that article it seems like most people don't know how exactly they should be offsetting their flights and the best way to do it
  • Article about this in the BBC today - https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48657582

Interesting to see it's becoming more 'mainstream' now, though from reading through that article it seems like most people don't know how exactly they should be offsetting their flights and the best way to do it
  • Well today after some more searching i came across BPTARGETNEUTRAL. A non profit part of BP OIL where you give over the details of what needs carbon offsetting they give you a price based upon the carbon produced and you simply pay that amount. Which in then used to fund projects around the world all of which are listed with full details of work being carried out. A bonus is that bp pay all the running expenses of the company so every penny paid by folks like me goes to the projects currently being worked on.
    So just got a new car put in my reg plate and declared my 5000 miles per annum and paid my dues.
    Next up will be the holiday flights.

Name:  Screenshot_20190718-224429_Drive.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  234.5 KB
  • Well today after some more searching i came across BPTARGETNEUTRAL. A non profit part of BP OIL where you give over the details of what needs carbon offsetting they give you a price based upon the carbon produced and you simply pay that amount. Which in then used to fund projects around the world all of which are listed with full details of work being carried out. A bonus is that bp pay all the running expenses of the company so every penny paid by folks like me goes to the projects currently being worked on.
    So just got a new car put in my reg plate and declared my 5000 miles per annum and paid my dues.
    Next up will be the holiday flights.

Name:  Screenshot_20190718-224429_Drive.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  234.5 KB
  • Great post @Jon1

I never knew how much of a difference there was between different airlines when it comes to how polluting they are. There's a great graphic that shows this here. It's also sad to see that some airlines' emissions are set to increase in 2020

Either way, a nice way to pay less for offsetting would be to just fly with a less polluting airline!
  • Great post @Jon1

I never knew how much of a difference there was between different airlines when it comes to how polluting they are. There's a great graphic that shows this here. It's also sad to see that some airlines' emissions are set to increase in 2020

Either way, a nice way to pay less for offsetting would be to just fly with a less polluting airline!
  • hi Sam
    oh that it was so simple...in order to gain efficiency there are several factors, the main ones being:
    The type of aircraft which has to be chosen according to the route length and
    The load factor (which is more a case of pollution per person)

Changing the aircraft to a more efficient model has in itself a huge carbon overhead.
    The amount of carbon which is down to you also depends on the load factor of the airline, if the 'plane is half full or half empty (depending on whether you're a 'plane half empty or 'plane half full person) then your share of carbon would I suppose nearly double (it would also use less fuel taking off so it's not quite half).
    Still, all said people aren't going to stop flying or driving.
    As much as I like flying for cheap prices I'd still like to see the budget airlines apply a carbon offset tax which was used to plant forests and build renewable energy farms (I'd still moan about the prices though)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Donoghue View Post
    Great post @Jon1

• hi Sam
    oh that it was so simple...in order to gain efficiency there are several factors, the main ones being:
    The type of aircraft which has to be chosen according to the route length and
    The load factor (which is more a case of pollution per person)

Changing the aircraft to a more efficient model has in itself a huge carbon overhead.
    The amount of carbon which is down to you also depends on the load factor of the airline, if the 'plane is half full or half empty (depending on whether you're a 'plane half empty or 'plane half full person) then your share of carbon would I suppose nearly double (it would also use less fuel taking off so it's not quite half).
    Still, all said people aren't going to stop flying or driving.
    As much as I like flying for cheap prices I'd still like to see the budget airlines apply a carbon offset tax which was used to plant forests and build renewable energy farms (I'd still moan about the prices though)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Donoghue View Post
    Great post @Jon1

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Looks like a tax could be coming sooner rather than later...
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
  • ha...be careful what you wish for...(prediction: The implementation will be a disaster)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
  • ha...be careful what you wish for...(prediction: The implementation will be a disaster)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
  • Really like the suggestion of planting trees @Jon1, and yes, possibly a tax could be the solution. i always try to fly only when strictly necessary but it's still making such a big impact. can't help but feel rather guilty about it.
  • Really like the suggestion of planting trees @Jon1, and yes, possibly a tax could be the solution. i always try to fly only when strictly necessary but it's still making such a big impact. can't help but feel rather guilty about it.
  • One of the PP team spotted this when searching flights the other day on skyscanner.

Looks like the 'green' credentials of flights really are becoming a mainstream worry?

Name:  carbon offsetting.png
Views: 386
Size:  46.1 KB

I wonder if that'll actually encourage people to choose the greener option, and how it figures out it emits less CO2?
  • One of the PP team spotted this when searching flights the other day on skyscanner.

Looks like the 'green' credentials of flights really are becoming a mainstream worry?

Name:  carbon offsetting.png
Views: 386
Size:  46.1 KB

I wonder if that'll actually encourage people to choose the greener option, and how it figures out it emits less CO2?
  • There was a discussion on this at start of This Morning today, very interesting 👍👍👍👏

WALT WHITMAN
  • There was a discussion on this at start of This Morning today, very interesting 👍👍👍👏

WALT WHITMAN
  • Hey bev

I saw that also, i think there should be a price set fot the price of carbon and luxury items should be made to be offset. Not a perfect answer but it helps. People will never give up flying until a viable alternative becomes available.
    Speaking of which my holiday flights a now a little bit greener.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jon1; 21-08-19 at 21:57.
  • Hey bev

I saw that also, i think there should be a price set fot the price of carbon and luxury items should be made to be offset. Not a perfect answer but it helps. People will never give up flying until a viable alternative becomes available.
    Speaking of which my holiday flights a now a little bit greener.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    There was a discussion on this at start of This Morning today, very interesting
    What was the opinion given about it on This Morning?
    It's interesting how it really seems to have taken off this summer! (excuse the pun...)
    @Jon1 nice one! Did you input how much you wanted to offset, it did it calculate it for you?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    There was a discussion on this at start of This Morning today, very interesting
    What was the opinion given about it on This Morning?
    It's interesting how it really seems to have taken off this summer! (excuse the pun...)
    @Jon1 nice one! Did you input how much you wanted to offset, it did it calculate it for you?
  • Well the presenters always stay neutral, of course, but they invited their regular travel journalist guy on, Simon Calder, and a lady who had recently joined the Green Party, I think, can’t remember, who wanted to voice her opinions on trying to fly with a budget airline, or holidaying without flying. She was saying always fly economy class, in other words cramped tightly rather than business class all spread out with huge leg room. She also suggested train around Europe, not air. They did agree on a lot of things tho, it was a friendly and respectful discussion, and concluded that less planes in the skies was only the start, but if everyone did their little bit, etc. All stemmed from the Harry Megan private jets to Elton’s pad.
    Last edited by Bev; 22-08-19 at 13:11. Reason: Little skiddies

WALT WHITMAN
  • Well the presenters always stay neutral, of course, but they invited their regular travel journalist guy on, Simon Calder, and a lady who had recently joined the Green Party, I think, can’t remember, who wanted to voice her opinions on trying to fly with a budget airline, or holidaying without flying. She was saying always fly economy class, in other words cramped tightly rather than business class all spread out with huge leg room. She also suggested train around Europe, not air. They did agree on a lot of things tho, it was a friendly and respectful discussion, and concluded that less planes in the skies was only the start, but if everyone did their little bit, etc. All stemmed from the Harry Megan private jets to Elton’s pad.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Hi nataly.
    The bp site works it all out for you, car travel just tap in your reg plate and how many miles a year you do.
    For flights just show flight details from / to and number of flights again it works out how much.
    The price is worked out based at approx $5 per tonne of carbon. One flight was as much as a years mileage in my car,
  • Hi nataly.
    The bp site works it all out for you, car travel just tap in your reg plate and how many miles a year you do.
    For flights just show flight details from / to and number of flights again it works out how much.
    The price is worked out based at approx $5 per tonne of carbon. One flight was as much as a years mileage in my car,
  • A recent YouGov survey has shown that two-thirds of Britons support limiting their air travel, to help address the climate crisis

It's worth noting that 2000 people took part, so not masses, but still a promising sign of changing attitudes
  • A recent YouGov survey has shown that two-thirds of Britons support limiting their air travel, to help address the climate crisis

It's worth noting that 2000 people took part, so not masses, but still a promising sign of changing attitudes