• Got solar and no gas. How to avoid standing charges?

I've installed a load of solar panels.Why should I pay standing charges when I am exporting to the grid? How do I eliminate that unnecessary charge? Thanks for any guidance. Brendan
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I've installed a load of solar panels.Why should I pay standing charges when I am exporting to the grid? How do I eliminate that unnecessary charge? Thanks for any guidance. Brendan
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi Brendanok
    No reason for you to pay if you can manage to run your house off-grid permanently you can avoid any charges by having your meter removed and supply disconnected completely, you'll likely have to pay to have that done, I'm not sure.
    Pure planet don't have a standing charge they have a membership fee, here is what it covers:
    So, what does Pure Planet’s Membership fee cover?

In this simple, monthly fee we cover all this:

Meter maintenance
    Our operating costs
    Our people costs
    Our profit margin
    VAT
    Remember, we don’t put a mark up on the cost of the fuels. So you’ll never pay more for your electricity and gas kWhs (kilowatt hours) than we buy them for on your behalf.

We also completely refreshed our website and app. It’s now even easier to get a quote, join, send meter readings and refer friends. The improved site and app have meant greater efficiencies because Members — and potential Members — are finding what they want faster.

Now even better value, we’re pleased to say that Pure Planet has always been among the cheapest providers. And our price has been designed to cost less than power that pollutes. We supply 100% renewable electricity to all our Members which is also better for our planet. And we were the first sustainable energy supplier to provide 100% carbon offset gas too.

We’d like to say a big thank you for being part of Pure Planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanok View Post
    I've installed a load of solar panels.Why should I pay standing charges when I am exporting to the grid? How do I eliminate that unnecessary charge? Thanks for any guidance. Brendan
  • hi Brendanok
    No reason for you to pay if you can manage to run your house off-grid permanently you can avoid any charges by having your meter removed and supply disconnected completely, you'll likely have to pay to have that done, I'm not sure.
    Pure planet don't have a standing charge they have a membership fee, here is what it covers:
    So, what does Pure Planet’s Membership fee cover?

In this simple, monthly fee we cover all this:

Meter maintenance
    Our operating costs
    Our people costs
    Our profit margin
    VAT
    Remember, we don’t put a mark up on the cost of the fuels. So you’ll never pay more for your electricity and gas kWhs (kilowatt hours) than we buy them for on your behalf.

We also completely refreshed our website and app. It’s now even easier to get a quote, join, send meter readings and refer friends. The improved site and app have meant greater efficiencies because Members — and potential Members — are finding what they want faster.

Now even better value, we’re pleased to say that Pure Planet has always been among the cheapest providers. And our price has been designed to cost less than power that pollutes. We supply 100% renewable electricity to all our Members which is also better for our planet. And we were the first sustainable energy supplier to provide 100% carbon offset gas too.

We’d like to say a big thank you for being part of Pure Planet.

• Best Answer

Hi there
    Bearing in mind the detailed answers already given, two simple points: you'll only be exporting to the grid some of the time; your standing charge/membership fee goes to Pure Planet, not the national grid.
    So everyone pays the standing charge regardless of their usage - it's a fee, not a proportional rate
    Hope that helps
    Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by brendanok View Post
    Hi there
    Bearing in mind the detailed answers already given, two simple points: you'll only be exporting to the grid some of the time; your standing charge/membership fee goes to Pure Planet, not the national grid.
    So everyone pays the standing charge regardless of their usage - it's a fee, not a proportional rate
    Hope that helps
    Stephen

• Hi Brendan,

Not too sure if you realise that you're not posting directly to PP (Pure Planet).......you're actually posting to the Community Forum for PP customers, people like yourself. So as this is your first post..... Welcome to the Community Forum for PP members.

To address your query regarding your standing charge (PP refer to this as a Membership Fee.....and that's how it will appear in your statements). I'm sure that when you were going through the switching process to PP, the Membership Fee and how it is constituted, was made clear. This would also have been explained in your Welcome Pack email from PP.

The Membership Fee covers many areas, including, and not limited to, meter upkeep, transportation costs of supply....etc. So I really can't see there being any reason why PP would be in a position to reduce/remove your Membership Fee.......I could be completely wrong, of course, and if I am, a fellow Community Forum member will be along to correct my assumption.

I would suggest that you address your query directly to PP, for a team member to supply you with a more concise explanation.

To do this you need to do the following:
    1. Open your App
    2. Open the drop down box....(3 lines at top right of screen)
    3. Click on HELP
    4. Open WattBot
    Now enter " message the team".....and send.
    Then enter the details of your request/query with as much information as you consider necessary.....and send.
    A PP team member will respond within 2 days (usually less) with an initial reply. A text message or email notification will be sent informing you that you have a WattBot reply for you to review.

I hope that this is of some help to you, and good luck in getting a "discount" on your MF.

Last edited by Gray4276; 25-06-19 at 01:45.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Brendan,

Not too sure if you realise that you're not posting directly to PP (Pure Planet).......you're actually posting to the Community Forum for PP customers, people like yourself. So as this is your first post..... Welcome to the Community Forum for PP members.

To address your query regarding your standing charge (PP refer to this as a Membership Fee.....and that's how it will appear in your statements). I'm sure that when you were going through the switching process to PP, the Membership Fee and how it is constituted, was made clear. This would also have been explained in your Welcome Pack email from PP.

The Membership Fee covers many areas, including, and not limited to, meter upkeep, transportation costs of supply....etc. So I really can't see there being any reason why PP would be in a position to reduce/remove your Membership Fee.......I could be completely wrong, of course, and if I am, a fellow Community Forum member will be along to correct my assumption.

I would suggest that you address your query directly to PP, for a team member to supply you with a more concise explanation.

To do this you need to do the following:
    1. Open your App
    2. Open the drop down box....(3 lines at top right of screen)
    3. Click on HELP
    4. Open WattBot
    Now enter " message the team".....and send.
    Then enter the details of your request/query with as much information as you consider necessary.....and send.
    A PP team member will respond within 2 days (usually less) with an initial reply. A text message or email notification will be sent informing you that you have a WattBot reply for you to review.

I hope that this is of some help to you, and good luck in getting a "discount" on your MF.

Gray4276

• Hey Woz.......you're up late.....
    Gray4276
  • Hey Woz.......you're up late.....
    Gray4276

• I was thinking exactly the same for you!
    New (ish) computer 2 steps forward 10 back! arghhhh bring back xp
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hey Woz.......you're up late.....
  • I was thinking exactly the same for you!
    New (ish) computer 2 steps forward 10 back! arghhhh bring back xp
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hey Woz.......you're up late.....

• Hi brendanok.
    Your question does raise a point that in time will need to be addressed. As self generation and storage tech becomes more widespread and affordable than it is now,then it will be more common for houses to become self sufficient and have no requirement to be connected to the national grid. So a time will come when off grid houses become a popular selling point. Sadly we are not there yet.
    Currently if you have a supply of gas and electric then by law you have to be charged a daily fee/membership even if you dont actually use anything. Having that supply removed is possible but will come at a cost for which you will have to pay.having no gas is easy as being all electric is simple enough, but removing the elctric supply is harder, you wont be able to export and be paid for that excess generation your panels produce. If you are self suffient and the feed in benefits financially are not required then it is an option. But other things also have to be considered.
    Things to think of are can you resell your house when its grid free and whats its value. Quirky thought will any potential buyer be able to get a mortgage on the house and will your mortgage company(if you have one) still be willing to grant that loan or will they want their cash back?
    Last edited by Jon1; 25-06-19 at 08:21.
  • Hi brendanok.
    Your question does raise a point that in time will need to be addressed. As self generation and storage tech becomes more widespread and affordable than it is now,then it will be more common for houses to become self sufficient and have no requirement to be connected to the national grid. So a time will come when off grid houses become a popular selling point. Sadly we are not there yet.
    Currently if you have a supply of gas and electric then by law you have to be charged a daily fee/membership even if you dont actually use anything. Having that supply removed is possible but will come at a cost for which you will have to pay.having no gas is easy as being all electric is simple enough, but removing the elctric supply is harder, you wont be able to export and be paid for that excess generation your panels produce. If you are self suffient and the feed in benefits financially are not required then it is an option. But other things also have to be considered.
    Things to think of are can you resell your house when its grid free and whats its value. Quirky thought will any potential buyer be able to get a mortgage on the house and will your mortgage company(if you have one) still be willing to grant that loan or will they want their cash back?

Hi @brendanok
    Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting
    Solar panel accounts are called Feed-In Tariffs (FITs). We're unable to provide FITs at the moment.
    They're independent of your property's energy supply, so you can have your energy with us and FIT with another supplier. If you switched your household supply to us, your FIT would remain with your current supplier, and they would continue to arrange the payments you receive for supplying energy back to the network.
    Hope this helps
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    Hi @brendanok
    Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting
    Solar panel accounts are called Feed-In Tariffs (FITs). We're unable to provide FITs at the moment.
    They're independent of your property's energy supply, so you can have your energy with us and FIT with another supplier. If you switched your household supply to us, your FIT would remain with your current supplier, and they would continue to arrange the payments you receive for supplying energy back to the network.
    Hope this helps
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​