Hey I have received my statement by email which says I am in credit by £60
    do i recieve this money back?
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hey I have received my statement by email which says I am in credit by £60
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hello emily.
    You should in a perfect world always be in credit by one months payment, as its taken in advance.
    Also payments are spread out over a year so balance will go up and down monthly this is normal.
  • Hello emily.
    You should in a perfect world always be in credit by one months payment, as its taken in advance.
    Also payments are spread out over a year so balance will go up and down monthly this is normal.

• Hi Emily,

Welcome to the community forum set up by PP with supporting information - including the FaQ's

Remember your welcome pack, advising the seasonal DD arrangements and your first in advance payment during the joining process?
    So in essence the advance payment (day 1) was so that PP can purchase our clean energy at cost price with no mark up, rolls along. This means our accounts (as set up from day 1) should always hold some credit. So working back to the start is a good example because that first payment was based on your quotation and the figures PP was provided with.
    Its worth noting that PP carry out reviews of our accounts at least twice a year and then adjust our DD's if there is a need to do so.

Customers with excessive credits/debits should and do contact PP directly and ask for a review rather than wait.
    My account is in credit, but a little lower than my original first payment, but credit will build up towards the colder months when the DD is seasonally adjusted from October - account always remaining in credit.
    Its not a perfect science because all our energy usage patterns change and are subject to various conditions.

As I said look at your welcome pack as a reminder.

Hope this assists, have a great day and revet back as needed
    Last edited by Strutt G; 18-06-19 at 13:51.
  • Hi Emily,

Welcome to the community forum set up by PP with supporting information - including the FaQ's

Remember your welcome pack, advising the seasonal DD arrangements and your first in advance payment during the joining process?
    So in essence the advance payment (day 1) was so that PP can purchase our clean energy at cost price with no mark up, rolls along. This means our accounts (as set up from day 1) should always hold some credit. So working back to the start is a good example because that first payment was based on your quotation and the figures PP was provided with.
    Its worth noting that PP carry out reviews of our accounts at least twice a year and then adjust our DD's if there is a need to do so.

Customers with excessive credits/debits should and do contact PP directly and ask for a review rather than wait.
    My account is in credit, but a little lower than my original first payment, but credit will build up towards the colder months when the DD is seasonally adjusted from October - account always remaining in credit.
    Its not a perfect science because all our energy usage patterns change and are subject to various conditions.

As I said look at your welcome pack as a reminder.

Hope this assists, have a great day and revet back as needed

• I have quite a substantial credit at mo built up gradually, but deff better to be in credit. I look at it as its saving me spending it if back in account lol and at somepoint will have a month 'free' as already paid. As stated above better to be in credit by one months payment.
  • I have quite a substantial credit at mo built up gradually, but deff better to be in credit. I look at it as its saving me spending it if back in account lol and at somepoint will have a month 'free' as already paid. As stated above better to be in credit by one months payment.

• hi Emilycousins001
    Look at this in a slightly different way. When you pay your direct debit (assuming you haven't changed the date of the direct debit) it's paid in advance of the energy you're going to use for that month.

So if your usage is approximately on track, when you get to the end of that month you'll have used the energy you paid for with the direct debit at the start, then you start again next month.
    So if you see £60 in the account just after you paid the dd, that's going to pay for the energy you use.

The balance on your statement will fluctuate quite a lot month to month depending on the weather etc. You can't really make a call on whether you're paying too much or too little until you've been through a year, unless your payments are way off track ad it will show earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by ;31534
  • hi Emilycousins001
    Look at this in a slightly different way. When you pay your direct debit (assuming you haven't changed the date of the direct debit) it's paid in advance of the energy you're going to use for that month.

So if your usage is approximately on track, when you get to the end of that month you'll have used the energy you paid for with the direct debit at the start, then you start again next month.
    So if you see £60 in the account just after you paid the dd, that's going to pay for the energy you use.

The balance on your statement will fluctuate quite a lot month to month depending on the weather etc. You can't really make a call on whether you're paying too much or too little until you've been through a year, unless your payments are way off track ad it will show earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by ;31534

• Hi Emily,

Reading between the lines......I'm assuming that you've not been with PP for a very long time.
    ​If you are in credit by "only" £60, then without knowing what your DD payment schedule is, I can only assume that the current level of credit is close to being, "more or less", approximately, 1 months payment.
    ​As our accounts are operated with the DD payment being made "in advance" then our accounts should, in a perfect world, be in credit by 1 month.

My advice is to let your account stabilise for a few months, then decide if your DD schedule is on course to reconcile your original estimated annual usage figures, that you supplied to PP during your switching process.
    Last edited by Gray4276; 20-06-19 at 18:14.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Emily,

Reading between the lines......I'm assuming that you've not been with PP for a very long time.
    ​If you are in credit by "only" £60, then without knowing what your DD payment schedule is, I can only assume that the current level of credit is close to being, "more or less", approximately, 1 months payment.
    ​As our accounts are operated with the DD payment being made "in advance" then our accounts should, in a perfect world, be in credit by 1 month.

My advice is to let your account stabilise for a few months, then decide if your DD schedule is on course to reconcile your original estimated annual usage figures, that you supplied to PP during your switching process.
    Gray4276

• I'd love to be in credit by £60 - but for some reason after being with PP for 9 months, our balance is -£792
    I've just had to ask them to massively increase my DD to cut this back

only 2 of us in a 4 bed house with a £200 per month bill, something doesn't feel right!
  • I'd love to be in credit by £60 - but for some reason after being with PP for 9 months, our balance is -£792

only 2 of us in a 4 bed house with a £200 per month bill, something doesn't feel right!

• Quote Originally Posted by Jambophoto View Post
    I'd love to be in credit by £60 - but for some reason after being with PP for 9 months, our balance is -£792

Hi Jambophoto,

You are right to be concerned by that amount of debit on your account. This indicates that you are underpaying by almost £90 per month.
    I can only assume that the figures that you used during your switching process were wildly inaccurate in comparison with your "actual" usage.
    You are definitely right to ask PP to increase your DD payments. You should also ask them to review your current usage figures for future adjustment of your DD payment schedule.
    The only other possibility is that, somehow you have something permanently switched on, that you don't know about.
    However I suspect that it's your original figures that were inaccurate.
    Last edited by Gray4276; 22-06-19 at 20:44.
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jambophoto View Post
    I'd love to be in credit by £60 - but for some reason after being with PP for 9 months, our balance is -£792

Hi Jambophoto,

You are right to be concerned by that amount of debit on your account. This indicates that you are underpaying by almost £90 per month.
    I can only assume that the figures that you used during your switching process were wildly inaccurate in comparison with your "actual" usage.
    You are definitely right to ask PP to increase your DD payments. You should also ask them to review your current usage figures for future adjustment of your DD payment schedule.
    The only other possibility is that, somehow you have something permanently switched on, that you don't know about.
    Gray4276

• Hi Jambophoto (cool name by the way)

Welcome to the community.

I think you need to retrace your steps from from your original quote when joining up.
    From your quote PP would of worked out your direct debit structure as advised in your welcome pack.

How have you been monitoring your monthly usage?
    A silly question - have you assessed your meter submissions shown on the statements and recorded in the APP?
    I guess you have dual fuel?
    Check the meters when nothing is turned on or little power is being used as you need to ascertain a time frame of usage... ?

I had a faulty meter once and it was churning out units even when the gas mains was off...but this may be a long shot.
    Your consumption costs do not sound right to me, approx double what I'm paying for 2, in a three bed house requiring double glazing.

Listen out for more feedback as this needs more input
  • Hi Jambophoto (cool name by the way)

Welcome to the community.

I think you need to retrace your steps from from your original quote when joining up.
    From your quote PP would of worked out your direct debit structure as advised in your welcome pack.

How have you been monitoring your monthly usage?
    A silly question - have you assessed your meter submissions shown on the statements and recorded in the APP?
    I guess you have dual fuel?
    Check the meters when nothing is turned on or little power is being used as you need to ascertain a time frame of usage... ?

I had a faulty meter once and it was churning out units even when the gas mains was off...but this may be a long shot.
    Your consumption costs do not sound right to me, approx double what I'm paying for 2, in a three bed house requiring double glazing.

Listen out for more feedback as this needs more input

• It indicates underpayment by more than £90, probably over £100 as the a/c should be 1 ave. payment in credit
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi Jambophoto,

• It indicates underpayment by more than £90, probably over £100 as the a/c should be 1 ave. payment in credit
    Hi Jambophoto,

• hi Jambophoto
    That's a very substantial underpayment of over £100 a month so clearly something is very wrong, either with the annual quote or the statement or your usage.

Do you want the community to help you figure out the reason?
    If you do, post back.

A few questions:
    Has the debt built up by about the same amount every month or did you start with debt when you switched over?
    Are you submitting readings once a month, and are they appearing on the statement?
    How much is your monthly payment at the moment?
    Can you give us some real readings and the dates they were taken?
    Finally can you read both meters twice a day at about the same time for a week (morning and before bed) and keep a note of the readings?
    Is the £200 after the DD was adjusted or before and if it's after what was it to start with?

​Or you could contact PP through the app,(type "message the team" and ask, but it's probably easier to do some detective work first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambophoto View Post

• hi Jambophoto
    That's a very substantial underpayment of over £100 a month so clearly something is very wrong, either with the annual quote or the statement or your usage.

Do you want the community to help you figure out the reason?
    If you do, post back.

A few questions:
    Has the debt built up by about the same amount every month or did you start with debt when you switched over?
    Are you submitting readings once a month, and are they appearing on the statement?
    How much is your monthly payment at the moment?
    Can you give us some real readings and the dates they were taken?
    Finally can you read both meters twice a day at about the same time for a week (morning and before bed) and keep a note of the readings?
    Is the £200 after the DD was adjusted or before and if it's after what was it to start with?

​Or you could contact PP through the app,(type "message the team" and ask, but it's probably easier to do some detective work first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambophoto View Post

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    It indicates underpayment by more than £90, probably over £100 as the a/c should be 1 ave. payment in credit
    Hey Woz,

It was just an approximation....
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    It indicates underpayment by more than £90, probably over £100 as the a/c should be 1 ave. payment in credit
    Hey Woz,

Gray4276

• haha I wasn't trying to be a smartalec, I knew that, but then so was mine!...
    Hey Woz,

• haha I wasn't trying to be a smartalec, I knew that, but then so was mine!...
    Hey Woz,