Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• Smart meter removal

Good morning
    Has anyone ever managed to get their smart meter removed on health grounds? Since mine was fitted in 2014 I have suffered from insomnia and tinnitus and have recently learnt that it is highly likely it is being caused by my smart meter. In addition as it was fitted by Eon and we were only with them for a year it has not been in use for 4 of the 5 years I have had it.
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Good morning
    Has anyone ever managed to get their smart meter removed on health grounds? Since mine was fitted in 2014 I have suffered from insomnia and tinnitus and have recently learnt that it is highly likely it is being caused by my smart meter. In addition as it was fitted by Eon and we were only with them for a year it has not been in use for 4 of the 5 years I have had it.
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Hi Suzy,
    Welcome to PP community. I am truly sorry to hear you’ve been suffering from insomniaand tinnitus. Insomnia is not great.

There is absolutely no requirement to have a smart meter, and if you have one you can ask/arrange for it to be removed - although there may be a charge for that. You don’t even have to give a reason.See this article.
    The spokesperson from Smart Energy is fairly dismissive of the notion that anyone should want to have their meter removed, but then again the purpose for his organisation is to deliver the roll-out. The important point is that customers do have the option to have it removed or deactivated.

I recently read this article on the bbc, which offers some tips on how to improve your wellbeing with regards to sleep:

Here is an article that aims to explain that insomnia may not be related to smart meters.

I hope you find a way to tackle your insomnia. Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyC View Post
    Good morning
  • Hi Suzy,
    Welcome to PP community. I am truly sorry to hear you’ve been suffering from insomniaand tinnitus. Insomnia is not great.

There is absolutely no requirement to have a smart meter, and if you have one you can ask/arrange for it to be removed - although there may be a charge for that. You don’t even have to give a reason.See this article.
    The spokesperson from Smart Energy is fairly dismissive of the notion that anyone should want to have their meter removed, but then again the purpose for his organisation is to deliver the roll-out. The important point is that customers do have the option to have it removed or deactivated.

I recently read this article on the bbc, which offers some tips on how to improve your wellbeing with regards to sleep:

Here is an article that aims to explain that insomnia may not be related to smart meters.

I hope you find a way to tackle your insomnia. Best of luck!
    Good morning

• Hi SuzyC,I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from insomnia and tinnitus.
    I have suffered from tinnitus for nearly twenty years, and know how debilitating it can be, I also believe that the two are linked.
    Once you settle in bed and all is quiet, your tinnitus takes over and the " noises " in your head cause your brain to try to make sense of these sounds, causing difficulty in getting to sleep, if you wake, again the tinnitus can prevent you from getting back to sleep.
    I don't know if the two are related to smart meters, I hope not as they have just been fitted. Have you done any research about noise generators which can help mask the sounds, some people have success with these but not everyone. You can download various white noise apps to your phone and give it a try before spending on a noise generator.
    I hope you get more help from the community, and let us know how you get on
  • Hi SuzyC,I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from insomnia and tinnitus.
    I have suffered from tinnitus for nearly twenty years, and know how debilitating it can be, I also believe that the two are linked.
    Once you settle in bed and all is quiet, your tinnitus takes over and the " noises " in your head cause your brain to try to make sense of these sounds, causing difficulty in getting to sleep, if you wake, again the tinnitus can prevent you from getting back to sleep.
    I don't know if the two are related to smart meters, I hope not as they have just been fitted. Have you done any research about noise generators which can help mask the sounds, some people have success with these but not everyone. You can download various white noise apps to your phone and give it a try before spending on a noise generator.
    I hope you get more help from the community, and let us know how you get on

• hi Suzy
    Have a read of THIS thread.
    Have you considered having it encased in thich aluminium foil (also known as a faraday cage), that will prevent radiation.
    Do you have the same problems when you sleep somewhere else, for example a hotel or have you not done so?

​My commiserations about the tinnitus, masking it with headphones and BBC world service (or some relaxing music of your choice) is highly recommended.
  • hi Suzy
    Have a read of THIS thread.
    Have you considered having it encased in thich aluminium foil (also known as a faraday cage), that will prevent radiation.
    Do you have the same problems when you sleep somewhere else, for example a hotel or have you not done so?

​My commiserations about the tinnitus, masking it with headphones and BBC world service (or some relaxing music of your choice) is highly recommended.

• When I away from home the tinnitus is nowhere near as bad.

- - - Updated - - -

My smart meter was fitted 5 years ago, but was only ‘smart’ for 1 of those years. I contacted Eon, who fitted it and they told me to contact my current supplier about getting it removed. As it is not transmitting it is pointless, and even in the 1st year when it was ‘live’ the screen thing that tells you how much energy you are using failed, so the ‘big sell’ for having it didn’t live up to its promise. There is nothing Smart about my Smart meter!
  • When I away from home the tinnitus is nowhere near as bad.

- - - Updated - - -

My smart meter was fitted 5 years ago, but was only ‘smart’ for 1 of those years. I contacted Eon, who fitted it and they told me to contact my current supplier about getting it removed. As it is not transmitting it is pointless, and even in the 1st year when it was ‘live’ the screen thing that tells you how much energy you are using failed, so the ‘big sell’ for having it didn’t live up to its promise. There is nothing Smart about my Smart meter!

• hi suzy
    ​How do you know it's not transmitting, and if it isn't (I think it will be) what do you think is causing your problems?
    When I away from home the tinnitus is nowhere near as bad.

- - - Updated - - -

• hi suzy
    ​How do you know it's not transmitting, and if it isn't (I think it will be) what do you think is causing your problems?
    When I away from home the tinnitus is nowhere near as bad.

- - - Updated - - -

• Hi woz, it probably is but the the reading is going into a black hole as I haven’t been with Eon for the last 4 years! That’s the problem, where’s the point of having a Smart meter with its well documented possible health implications if it’s not doing the job you were told it would when you agreed to it’s installation?
  • Hi woz, it probably is but the the reading is going into a black hole as I haven’t been with Eon for the last 4 years! That’s the problem, where’s the point of having a Smart meter with its well documented possible health implications if it’s not doing the job you were told it would when you agreed to it’s installation?

• hi suzyc
    I thought your original question was predicated on the possibility that the meter was causing your health issues. You then said it wasn't transmitting which is why I answered in the way I did. Have you considered the faraday cage idea?
    Hi woz, it probably is but the the reading is going into a black hole as I haven’t been with Eon for the last 4 years! That’s the problem, where’s the point of having a Smart meter with its well documented possible health implications if it’s not doing the job you were told it would when you agreed to it’s installation?
  • hi suzyc
    I thought your original question was predicated on the possibility that the meter was causing your health issues. You then said it wasn't transmitting which is why I answered in the way I did. Have you considered the faraday cage idea?
    Hi woz, it probably is but the the reading is going into a black hole as I haven’t been with Eon for the last 4 years! That’s the problem, where’s the point of having a Smart meter with its well documented possible health implications if it’s not doing the job you were told it would when you agreed to it’s installation?

• Best Answer

Hi SuzyC,

Welcome to the community and sorry about your tinnitus.

The original smart meters (Smets1) was a stupid premature roll out meaning as soon as you changed suppliers the meters became dumb. This will not apply to the current roll out of Smets 2 being trialled by PP and being installed. Those with Smets1 have been advised that there will be software upgrades for these original smart meters some time in the future.....
    There is a list of Smets1 meters that can be upgraded and if its not software compliant then a Smets2 option will be available across industry and not supplier specific - lots of info via this link.
    https://community.purepla.net/conten...re_1#ckb_start

If you go to the FaQ's lots of stuff about meters if your that way inclined.

Heres a link to the lates posts:
    https://community.purepla.net/thread...tions-in-south

Personally I'm just gonna sit back and watch the whole game happen and see no reason for one until I'm dragged to the party.

However, I can fully understand the reason for some peeps that need them for all sorts of reasons.
    But saving money I think will be at most minimal for most people.
    I guess at least it will be fascianting to watch how much it costs to make a cup of tea - "nice and relaxing".

Anyway I've said too much and listen out for more feedback from the smart meter geeks
    Last edited by Strutt G; 14-06-19 at 21:49.
  • Hi SuzyC,

Welcome to the community and sorry about your tinnitus.

The original smart meters (Smets1) was a stupid premature roll out meaning as soon as you changed suppliers the meters became dumb. This will not apply to the current roll out of Smets 2 being trialled by PP and being installed. Those with Smets1 have been advised that there will be software upgrades for these original smart meters some time in the future.....
    There is a list of Smets1 meters that can be upgraded and if its not software compliant then a Smets2 option will be available across industry and not supplier specific - lots of info via this link.
    https://community.purepla.net/conten...re_1#ckb_start

If you go to the FaQ's lots of stuff about meters if your that way inclined.

Heres a link to the lates posts:
    https://community.purepla.net/thread...tions-in-south

Personally I'm just gonna sit back and watch the whole game happen and see no reason for one until I'm dragged to the party.

However, I can fully understand the reason for some peeps that need them for all sorts of reasons.
    But saving money I think will be at most minimal for most people.
    I guess at least it will be fascianting to watch how much it costs to make a cup of tea - "nice and relaxing".

Anyway I've said too much and listen out for more feedback from the smart meter geeks

• Hi Strutt G, knowing how much your cuppa was costing was part of the ‘big sell’ but I like many of us only use the electricity I need to. Your very sensible to wait! It won’t save you money because you use what you need to use. It’s a bit like 5g, you don’t know of the potential danger until it’s to late!
  • Hi Strutt G, knowing how much your cuppa was costing was part of the ‘big sell’ but I like many of us only use the electricity I need to. Your very sensible to wait! It won’t save you money because you use what you need to use. It’s a bit like 5g, you don’t know of the potential danger until it’s to late!

• Get your drift SuzyC we live in fast moving world with untold consequences.
    I guess its always been that way, its just getting faster... might have something todo with the universe expanding, but thats just a wild thought.

NB: Sorry just noticed your earlier post and members responses...
    Last edited by Strutt G; 14-06-19 at 23:11.
  • Get your drift SuzyC we live in fast moving world with untold consequences.
    I guess its always been that way, its just getting faster... might have something todo with the universe expanding, but thats just a wild thought.

NB: Sorry just noticed your earlier post and members responses...