• Magnum utilities - No smart meter if Solar Panels in place

One disappointed customer writing this. Received a text message from Pure Planet stating 'Magnum Utilities' will be in my area and can install smart meter at my property.

I called them promptly and at the end of the conversation and booking a date for installation I just happened to mention I have solar panels.

They immediately cancelled the installation stating 'technology is yet to catch up for smart meters to work with solar panels '

Come on guys it is 'SMETS2' the latest generation smart meters and they are not compatible with solar panels and FiT...!!!

It looks like solar panel owners are being penalised for generating their own power.

Can anyone share their own experiences and could Pure Planet clarify what is the truth please?
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • One disappointed customer writing this. Received a text message from Pure Planet stating 'Magnum Utilities' will be in my area and can install smart meter at my property.

I called them promptly and at the end of the conversation and booking a date for installation I just happened to mention I have solar panels.

They immediately cancelled the installation stating 'technology is yet to catch up for smart meters to work with solar panels '

Come on guys it is 'SMETS2' the latest generation smart meters and they are not compatible with solar panels and FiT...!!!

It looks like solar panel owners are being penalised for generating their own power.

Can anyone share their own experiences and could Pure Planet clarify what is the truth please?
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi brajchan
    Sadly I'm afraid the person who told you is correct - much to the chagrin of both PP themselves and customers.
    There is some clarification HERE and a relevant thread HERE
    ridiculous I know...
    ​that said you aren't being penalised (unless you are only getting a deemed FIT amount?) , but disadvantaged perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by brajchan View Post
    One disappointed customer writing this. Received a text message from Pure Planet stating 'Magnum Utilities' will be in my area and can install smart meter at my property.

• hi brajchan
    Sadly I'm afraid the person who told you is correct - much to the chagrin of both PP themselves and customers.
    There is some clarification HERE and a relevant thread HERE
    ridiculous I know...
    ​that said you aren't being penalised (unless you are only getting a deemed FIT amount?) , but disadvantaged perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by brajchan View Post

• Exactly my experience this week. Booked for late August and the final question was about solar. Job cancelled. Boohoo!
  • Exactly my experience this week. Booked for late August and the final question was about solar. Job cancelled. Boohoo!

• Just had exactly the same experience - how banal to ask the solar panel question having gone through the whole engineer booking process??? Someone with some common sense needs to change the script to ask that question upfront rather than as a last question at the end of the call. Come on guys wise up!
  • Just had exactly the same experience - how banal to ask the solar panel question having gone through the whole engineer booking process??? Someone with some common sense needs to change the script to ask that question upfront rather than as a last question at the end of the call. Come on guys wise up!

• Add another to the pile - got my call today, booked it in, and *then* she asked about microgeneration. Appointment promptly cancelled as above.

The irony is that it's nonsense if you're on "deemed export" - the meter only has to measure import, in which case it's just like every other meter out there.

Sigh. Back of the queue it is, then...
  • Add another to the pile - got my call today, booked it in, and *then* she asked about microgeneration. Appointment promptly cancelled as above.

The irony is that it's nonsense if you're on "deemed export" - the meter only has to measure import, in which case it's just like every other meter out there.

• I feel your pain...arghhhh...but it's not PP's fault, it's cover-all policies to apply individual circumstances that don't fit.
    ​(The computer says no)
    The fitting of the SM should depend on the individual wiring and not that you have microgeneration, but sadly i doesn't.
    Same problem with E7.
    Another bl**dy government IT fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Yaffle View Post
    Add another to the pile - got my call today, booked it in, and *then* she asked about microgeneration. Appointment promptly cancelled as above.

• I feel your pain...arghhhh...but it's not PP's fault, it's cover-all policies to apply individual circumstances that don't fit.
    ​(The computer says no)
    The fitting of the SM should depend on the individual wiring and not that you have microgeneration, but sadly i doesn't.
    Same problem with E7.
    Another bl**dy government IT fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Yaffle View Post
    Add another to the pile - got my call today, booked it in, and *then* she asked about microgeneration. Appointment promptly cancelled as above.