Poll: Do you skim read.

• Poll - Do You Skim Read?

You have to be brutally honest answering this, if you see a lengthy block of text do you skim read it - maybe you read it more carefully after you've skimmed? Maybe you don't...
    I shall reveal my reasons for asking after some replies...
    Last edited by woz; 13-06-19 at 13:14.
  • You have to be brutally honest answering this, if you see a lengthy block of text do you skim read it - maybe you read it more carefully after you've skimmed? Maybe you don't...
    I shall reveal my reasons for asking after some replies...
  • I was scared to reply, im thinking i missed something and the end result will have this highlighted to prove the point about skim reading.
    I do skim over things and if it dont capture my interest i dont bother.
  • I was scared to reply, im thinking i missed something and the end result will have this highlighted to prove the point about skim reading.
  • haha, there was no trick involved but I have a theory....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    I was scared to reply, im thinking i missed something and the end result will have this highlighted to prove the point about skim reading.
  • haha, there was no trick involved but I have a theory....
    I was scared to reply, im thinking i missed something and the end result will have this highlighted to prove the point about skim reading.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    haha, there was no trick involved but I have a theory....
    Do we get to find out the theory?
    • The first snow of winter arrives! ⛄ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips💚🎅​​​​​​​
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations ✨​​​​​​​
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?🤔​​​​​​​ Find out in our quiz!
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    haha, there was no trick involved but I have a theory....
    • The first snow of winter arrives! ⛄ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips💚🎅​​​​​​​
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations ✨​​​​​​​
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?🤔​​​​​​​ Find out in our quiz!
  • Depends on the subject, the topic, and what I already (well think what I already), know.

Political and economic articles tend to be longer than they need to be.
    Skimming over and looking at the end paragraph for the sum up conclusion often matches the articles title.
    If it strikes a chord I'll read the entirety.

I know when a books boring when I start skimming.
  • Depends on the subject, the topic, and what I already (well think what I already), know.

Political and economic articles tend to be longer than they need to be.
    Skimming over and looking at the end paragraph for the sum up conclusion often matches the articles title.
    If it strikes a chord I'll read the entirety.

I know when a books boring when I start skimming.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Indeed Nat, come on Wozeeta, put us out of our miseries! 😴😴😴😴
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Indeed Nat, come on Wozeeta, put us out of our miseries! 😴😴😴😴

WALT WHITMAN
  • It all depends. If it's a topic that interests me and is well written I'll read it thoroughly . . . until I come across something that jars, be it an overt political message or a glaring grammatical or contextual error.

If the piece is mildly interesting I'll skim through it, and if I find an interesting passage, slow down and perhaps go back.

If it's full of hyperbole as an egg is full of meat (see what I did there?), I'll quit.

In my previous life I wrote and read a lot of reports. What is crucial is the Executive Summary. If you want anyone to read the full report the Executive Summary must grab their attention.
  • It all depends. If it's a topic that interests me and is well written I'll read it thoroughly . . . until I come across something that jars, be it an overt political message or a glaring grammatical or contextual error.

If the piece is mildly interesting I'll skim through it, and if I find an interesting passage, slow down and perhaps go back.

If it's full of hyperbole as an egg is full of meat (see what I did there?), I'll quit.

In my previous life I wrote and read a lot of reports. What is crucial is the Executive Summary. If you want anyone to read the full report the Executive Summary must grab their attention.
  • I had a timewarp day today and yesterday, and all week, everything I set out to do has gone backwards, so apologies for late reply...

OK, here is why I asked.

I spotted a trend a while back, that the longer any replies were including mine and including those referring to long winded FAQ's, it seemed to me the less response there seemed to be to them.

I like to think or at least did think that most of my posts are/were not too waffly (is that a word, waffly?.. and, a la Mandy Rice Davies, I would say that would't I, and this negates the not too waffly because it's waffly!) anyway....I decided that the variation was content agnostic and more due to length.

I started looking at how I read and how I post, having never given it that much thought before, and yes, the first thing I do when I see a big chunk of text is scan it looking for keys. Then I read it more slowly.
    I wondered if everyone did the same and scanned posts first. Then I set to thinking, was there an optimum post size, one that's long enough to get the answer across, but not so long that the reader will skim and possibly lose interest.
    I also spotted that some people (you know who you are) give naturally short replies which get to the point, and others (you also know who you are too, and I'm one....), over reply. That's not a criticism by the way, it's an interesting observation about interesting people..

So, (in this instance it's OK to start with "so" normally I wouldn't do that) I've decided based solely on the results of this completely unscientific poll that I think it's worse to over-egg the meat (see what I did there Oakbank? I'm not sure what if anything that has to do with hyperbole) and...
    ​from now on all posts will be limited to 3 lines of text (starting with this one...ooops gone over a bit...)
    Late edit, could have been worse, might have asked you about your piercings..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Indeed Nat, come on Wozeeta, put us out of our miseries! ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿ ½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½
    Last edited by woz; 20-06-19 at 23:46.
  • I had a timewarp day today and yesterday, and all week, everything I set out to do has gone backwards, so apologies for late reply...

OK, here is why I asked.

I spotted a trend a while back, that the longer any replies were including mine and including those referring to long winded FAQ's, it seemed to me the less response there seemed to be to them.

I like to think or at least did think that most of my posts are/were not too waffly (is that a word, waffly?.. and, a la Mandy Rice Davies, I would say that would't I, and this negates the not too waffly because it's waffly!) anyway....I decided that the variation was content agnostic and more due to length.

I started looking at how I read and how I post, having never given it that much thought before, and yes, the first thing I do when I see a big chunk of text is scan it looking for keys. Then I read it more slowly.
    I wondered if everyone did the same and scanned posts first. Then I set to thinking, was there an optimum post size, one that's long enough to get the answer across, but not so long that the reader will skim and possibly lose interest.
    I also spotted that some people (you know who you are) give naturally short replies which get to the point, and others (you also know who you are too, and I'm one....), over reply. That's not a criticism by the way, it's an interesting observation about interesting people..

So, (in this instance it's OK to start with "so" normally I wouldn't do that) I've decided based solely on the results of this completely unscientific poll that I think it's worse to over-egg the meat (see what I did there Oakbank? I'm not sure what if anything that has to do with hyperbole) and...
    ​from now on all posts will be limited to 3 lines of text (starting with this one...ooops gone over a bit...)
    Late edit, could have been worse, might have asked you about your piercings..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Indeed Nat, come on Wozeeta, put us out of our miseries! ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿ ½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½
  • I must admit I skimmed that
  • I must admit I skimmed that
  • Ditto 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • Ditto 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • You're lucky, you should have seen it before I edited it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    I must admit I skimmed that
  • You're lucky, you should have seen it before I edited it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    I must admit I skimmed that
  • Not sure how i can respond to this observation, i know i am a 3 line short to the point responder, i have an answer but im out of space.
  • Not sure how i can respond to this observation, i know i am a 3 line short to the point responder, i have an answer but im out of space.
  • I used to write a lot of emails to colleagues for whom English was not their first language, and frequently not even their second. To get the message across I had to simplify, to the point of being curt at times; one verb, one noun, no adjectives and no adverbs. Boring reading, but unambiguous.

Woz: At least your longer posts are split into paragraphs. In my book they are not the "lengthy blocks of text" you allude to in your initial query. Perhaps the lack of 'quality replies' is because readers aren't sure which point people, who write long "waffly" posts, are trying to get across.

waffly
    . Adjective. (comparative wafflier, superlative waffliest) Characterized by the presence of waffle (vague speech)
  • I used to write a lot of emails to colleagues for whom English was not their first language, and frequently not even their second. To get the message across I had to simplify, to the point of being curt at times; one verb, one noun, no adjectives and no adverbs. Boring reading, but unambiguous.

Woz: At least your longer posts are split into paragraphs. In my book they are not the "lengthy blocks of text" you allude to in your initial query. Perhaps the lack of 'quality replies' is because readers aren't sure which point people, who write long "waffly" posts, are trying to get across.

waffly
    . Adjective. (comparative wafflier, superlative waffliest) Characterized by the presence of waffle (vague speech)
  • What would Mr T say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eisa5AZ20W0
    ​
    Last edited by Strutt G; 21-06-19 at 09:27.
  • What would Mr T say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eisa5AZ20W0
    ​
  • Quality reply Oak!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    I used to write a lot of emails to colleagues for whom English was not their first language, and frequently not even their second. To get the message across I had to simplify, to the point of being curt at times; one verb, one noun, no adjectives and no adverbs. Boring reading, but unambiguous.

waffly
  • Quality reply Oak!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    I used to write a lot of emails to colleagues for whom English was not their first language, and frequently not even their second. To get the message across I had to simplify, to the point of being curt at times; one verb, one noun, no adjectives and no adverbs. Boring reading, but unambiguous.

waffly
  • haha..I said you knew who you were! 1.75 lines left - goforit!
    Not sure how i can respond to this observation, i know i am a 3 line short to the point responder, i have an answer but im out of space.
  • haha..I said you knew who you were! 1.75 lines left - goforit!
    Not sure how i can respond to this observation, i know i am a 3 line short to the point responder, i have an answer but im out of space.