• My tariff

Today we had a call from a representative of our previous supplier (utilia), he explained to me that our smart meters are still on the prepayment tariff that utilita used and as such there is every chance we could be getting overcharged by pure planet for our energy usage.
    Can anyone throw any light on whether or not this might be the case.
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Today we had a call from a representative of our previous supplier (utilia), he explained to me that our smart meters are still on the prepayment tariff that utilita used and as such there is every chance we could be getting overcharged by pure planet for our energy usage.
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hello steve.
    Sounds like a sales tactic to me. If you were indeed on prepayment tariff when you switch then utilita should of changed meters into credit mode before you left. If you are still in the switching process then they need to do this now without fail or excuse.
    If the switch has completed then once the credit runs out the lights will go out. So it all depends how long ago you switched.if last couple of days and your meter shows your running out of top up then PP need to sort this for you.if its been a couple of weeks then its waffle from utilita.
    Last edited by Jon1; 13-06-19 at 13:00.
  • Hello steve.
    Sounds like a sales tactic to me. If you were indeed on prepayment tariff when you switch then utilita should of changed meters into credit mode before you left. If you are still in the switching process then they need to do this now without fail or excuse.
    If the switch has completed then once the credit runs out the lights will go out. So it all depends how long ago you switched.if last couple of days and your meter shows your running out of top up then PP need to sort this for you.if its been a couple of weeks then its waffle from utilita.

• Thanks, that makes sense. We switched well over twelve months ago so it should have been done.
  • Thanks, that makes sense. We switched well over twelve months ago so it should have been done.

• Quote Originally Posted by Steve 59 View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. We switched well over twelve months ago so it should have been done.
    Nice try too scare you then. I think in 12 months the credit would of run out. Haha. It may still show on the national database as a payg meter which would explain it or simply a naughty sales pitch.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Steve 59 View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. We switched well over twelve months ago so it should have been done.
    Nice try too scare you then. I think in 12 months the credit would of run out. Haha. It may still show on the national database as a payg meter which would explain it or simply a naughty sales pitch.

• hi Steve
    It's a strange sales pitch, you should have asked him to explain exactly how it worked, and then got it in writing.
    He should be reported if for no other reason than B*llsh*tting.
    Even if the meter had the wrong tariff information embedded in it (but in credit mode and btw jon1's reply is very good), the units measured would be the units measured and that's what PP would charge you for at the prevailing rate, so it's Name:  carp-r.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.5 KB from every angle that I can see.
    Maybe I've missed something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 59 View Post
    Today we had a call from a representative of our previous supplier (utilia), he explained to me that our smart meters are still on the prepayment tariff that utilita used and as such there is every chance we could be getting overcharged by pure planet for our energy usage.
  • hi Steve
    It's a strange sales pitch, you should have asked him to explain exactly how it worked, and then got it in writing.
    He should be reported if for no other reason than B*llsh*tting.
    Even if the meter had the wrong tariff information embedded in it (but in credit mode and btw jon1's reply is very good), the units measured would be the units measured and that's what PP would charge you for at the prevailing rate, so it's Name:  carp-r.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.5 KB from every angle that I can see.
    Maybe I've missed something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 59 View Post

• Just to note that the national database would no longer tell you if a meter was operating in PP mode or CR as it's just 'a smart meter' when you look there whereas for traditional meters it would have said key or card meter to indicate that it's prepayment. The only person that knows, from data they can access, that the meter is in PP mode is the consumer or by asking the meter directly (through smart functions).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
  • Just to note that the national database would no longer tell you if a meter was operating in PP mode or CR as it's just 'a smart meter' when you look there whereas for traditional meters it would have said key or card meter to indicate that it's prepayment. The only person that knows, from data they can access, that the meter is in PP mode is the consumer or by asking the meter directly (through smart functions).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post

• hi mrsmart
    or by asking the meter directly (through smart functions)
    how is that done?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    Just to note that the national database would no longer tell you if a meter was operating in PP mode or CR as it's just 'a smart meter' when you look there whereas for traditional meters it would have said key or card meter to indicate that it's prepayment. The only person that knows, from data they can access, that the meter is in PP mode is the consumer or by asking the meter directly (through smart functions).
  • hi mrsmart
    how is that done?
    Just to note that the national database would no longer tell you if a meter was operating in PP mode or CR as it's just 'a smart meter' when you look there whereas for traditional meters it would have said key or card meter to indicate that it's prepayment. The only person that knows, from data they can access, that the meter is in PP mode is the consumer or by asking the meter directly (through smart functions).

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi mrsmart
    how is that done?
    Via the DCC. The Supplier sends a service request message to the meter via the gateway connection and the meter responds with the payment mode it is operating in. Existing industry won't know and neither will the DCC themselves (it's not stored in the inventory).

The customer, of course, would also know via their IHD.
    hi mrsmart
    how is that done?
    Via the DCC. The Supplier sends a service request message to the meter via the gateway connection and the meter responds with the payment mode it is operating in. Existing industry won't know and neither will the DCC themselves (it's not stored in the inventory).

• Thanks MrSmart, is there a published list of what service functions/smart requests are available? If so where can I get one?

• Thanks MrSmart, is there a published list of what service functions/smart requests are available? If so where can I get one?

Thanks MrSmart, is there a published list of what service functions/smart requests are available? If so where can I get one?
    There is! It's part of the SEC (Smart Energy Code) which is a stunning read (2000 pages) if you have the time. It's available on the SECAS website under The DCC User Interface Specification (DUIS). That's also fairly wordy (what the DCC should do, enshrined in government legislation) but also how Users can use it, using service requests. I think you can access the SEC and DUIS without having to have special access.
    Thanks MrSmart, is there a published list of what service functions/smart requests are available? If so where can I get one?
    There is! It's part of the SEC (Smart Energy Code) which is a stunning read (2000 pages) if you have the time. It's available on the SECAS website under The DCC User Interface Specification (DUIS). That's also fairly wordy (what the DCC should do, enshrined in government legislation) but also how Users can use it, using service requests. I think you can access the SEC and DUIS without having to have special access.

• Thanks, 2328 pages! That should help me get off to sleep...

Last edited by woz; 16-06-19 at 00:28.
  • Thanks, 2328 pages! That should help me get off to sleep...

• Hi woz.

Once you have come out of tthe induced coma that read will cause, then i have another one for you. I think its right up your alley and quite interesting to boot.
    Goto BP.COM and have a read of the BP statistical review of global enery.
  • Hi woz.

Once you have come out of tthe induced coma that read will cause, then i have another one for you. I think its right up your alley and quite interesting to boot.
    Goto BP.COM and have a read of the BP statistical review of global enery.

Thanks, 2328 pages! That should help me get off to sleep...
    Just wondering woz, did you skim read it
    Thanks, 2328 pages! That should help me get off to sleep...
    Just wondering woz, did you skim read it

• Surely Woz is not sleeping..only us mortals have to sleep
  • Surely Woz is not sleeping..only us mortals have to sleep

• Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Surely Woz is not sleeping..only us mortals have to sleep
    I think hes on the vampire scale and only comes out dusk to dawn. . .
    🦇
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Surely Woz is not sleeping..only us mortals have to sleep
    I think hes on the vampire scale and only comes out dusk to dawn. . .
    🦇

• haha, My guess is no one has read it all, most of it is unfathomable jargon and lots of white space, but hey, it keeps people in work.. The DUIS part which incidentally isn't even included in the 2328 pages, and is a separate document, is actually quite interesting if you're a techie nerd. Having arisen from my coffin and wiped the blood from my lips, I can now admit I did skim read and don't understand most of it...
    What's that song from the Wizard of Oz... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauLgZISozs

I'm hoping that eventually there will be a way for us to interrogate our meters even if we can't write to them it would be nice to find out what's going on inside.
  • haha, My guess is no one has read it all, most of it is unfathomable jargon and lots of white space, but hey, it keeps people in work.. The DUIS part which incidentally isn't even included in the 2328 pages, and is a separate document, is actually quite interesting if you're a techie nerd. Having arisen from my coffin and wiped the blood from my lips, I can now admit I did skim read and don't understand most of it...
    What's that song from the Wizard of Oz... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauLgZISozs

I'm hoping that eventually there will be a way for us to interrogate our meters even if we can't write to them it would be nice to find out what's going on inside.