• Usage PA

I need to know my usage PA. Surely this can provided in Excel format on an official yearly statement?
    Not have a contact phone number, or the ability to send Emails, or chat directly with Pure Planet staff is ridiculous, and unprofessional.
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I need to know my usage PA. Surely this can provided in Excel format on an official yearly statement?
    Not have a contact phone number, or the ability to send Emails, or chat directly with Pure Planet staff is ridiculous, and unprofessional.
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hello sirmalcolm.
    Your yearly estimate is provided on your monthly statement. Also with in the usage section of the app its easy to calculate using past readings once you been with PP a year, or else its only year to date.
    PP make no secret of being digital only, with no call centre. Wattbot is available for chat granted its not live chat but more than ample.
  • Hello sirmalcolm.
    Your yearly estimate is provided on your monthly statement. Also with in the usage section of the app its easy to calculate using past readings once you been with PP a year, or else its only year to date.
    PP make no secret of being digital only, with no call centre. Wattbot is available for chat granted its not live chat but more than ample.

• Good afternoon SirMalcolmF,

Welcome to the community a forum set up by PP so that we can assist each with our accounts.
    PP is an APP based company providing clean cost energy with no "mark up" on the energy we use.
    As an APP based company there is no call centre saving on an energy sucking cost draining call centre!
    Its not unprofessional and I'm a bit confused how you did not know this before you joined up?
    Lots of info on the blog/homepage, the FaQ's and within this forum.

Anyway even though PP monitor and manage this forum you need to contact PP direct via the APP as the account was set up to operate.
    Or as they say back in the day, as advertised PP provides the service noted on on the tin.

If you need to contact PP then proceed to the APP, open Help, open ask wattBot and make sure your first type "Message the Team" and then post your question. Takes up 2 days for a response and often sooner, but factor in the approaching weekend. If you forget to look back in the APP for PP's response then you will get a text as a reminder.

Please note your emailed monthly statement provides adjusted annual forecasted usage and costs based on your time with PP.
    When you joined PP the first bill advising these states was based on industry TP (out of PP's control) analyse which then alters (averages out) as your continue with PP. The APP provides month on month usage and costs.

Keep posting back for more feedback or advice as lots of interested members like ourselves waiting to chip in.

Have a great day
    Last edited by Strutt G; 13-06-19 at 15:59.
  • Good afternoon SirMalcolmF,

Welcome to the community a forum set up by PP so that we can assist each with our accounts.
    PP is an APP based company providing clean cost energy with no "mark up" on the energy we use.
    As an APP based company there is no call centre saving on an energy sucking cost draining call centre!
    Its not unprofessional and I'm a bit confused how you did not know this before you joined up?
    Lots of info on the blog/homepage, the FaQ's and within this forum.

Anyway even though PP monitor and manage this forum you need to contact PP direct via the APP as the account was set up to operate.
    Or as they say back in the day, as advertised PP provides the service noted on on the tin.

If you need to contact PP then proceed to the APP, open Help, open ask wattBot and make sure your first type "Message the Team" and then post your question. Takes up 2 days for a response and often sooner, but factor in the approaching weekend. If you forget to look back in the APP for PP's response then you will get a text as a reminder.

Please note your emailed monthly statement provides adjusted annual forecasted usage and costs based on your time with PP.
    When you joined PP the first bill advising these states was based on industry TP (out of PP's control) analyse which then alters (averages out) as your continue with PP. The APP provides month on month usage and costs.

Keep posting back for more feedback or advice as lots of interested members like ourselves waiting to chip in.

Have a great day

• hi sirmalcom (I hope the name isn't indicative of delusions of adequacy? )

Although there are figures on the statement for Annual cost, they need to be taken with a pinch of salt. The ones for annual consumption lower down under "Renewable electricity" and "Carbon offset gas" are also iffy.
    The algorithm used to produce them is errr...for want of a better word, wrong...(in my opinion)
    If like most people you use gas for heating and electric for all else, you'll find the monthly variation on electric fairly small as your usage is fairly constant, but gas will vary a lot depending on the particular month.
    I shall be posting about this elsewhere
    If you want to calculate your usage don't forget to subtract the monthly charge x 12, (less discount if dual fuel)
    What's left divide by your unit price.=how many units used, but they are shown lower down as said.

I'm sure PP will be only too pleased to provide you with a cumulative figure, but as said easy enough to add the figures shown in the app.

Your comment re professionalism is in my opinion both incorrect and unfair. It's quite clear that PP don't have call centres, communication is via wattbot (type "message the team" for a non-bot response). Replies not instant, a day or 2.

If you consider PP to be unprofessional and ridiculous there is no penalty for switching to a more professional and less "ridiculous" provider.
    I and many others are very happy with PP, but then we read and accepted what sort of company we'd signed up to.(A very professional but friendly human company)

I don't work for PP.
    Last edited by woz; 13-06-19 at 18:20.
  • hi sirmalcom (I hope the name isn't indicative of delusions of adequacy? )

Although there are figures on the statement for Annual cost, they need to be taken with a pinch of salt. The ones for annual consumption lower down under "Renewable electricity" and "Carbon offset gas" are also iffy.
    The algorithm used to produce them is errr...for want of a better word, wrong...(in my opinion)
    If like most people you use gas for heating and electric for all else, you'll find the monthly variation on electric fairly small as your usage is fairly constant, but gas will vary a lot depending on the particular month.
    I shall be posting about this elsewhere
    If you want to calculate your usage don't forget to subtract the monthly charge x 12, (less discount if dual fuel)
    What's left divide by your unit price.=how many units used, but they are shown lower down as said.

I'm sure PP will be only too pleased to provide you with a cumulative figure, but as said easy enough to add the figures shown in the app.

Your comment re professionalism is in my opinion both incorrect and unfair. It's quite clear that PP don't have call centres, communication is via wattbot (type "message the team" for a non-bot response). Replies not instant, a day or 2.

If you consider PP to be unprofessional and ridiculous there is no penalty for switching to a more professional and less "ridiculous" provider.
    I and many others are very happy with PP, but then we read and accepted what sort of company we'd signed up to.(A very professional but friendly human company)

I don't work for PP.

• Hi SirMalcolmF,

Welcome to the Community Forum for PP members.

I agree with the comments made by my fellow PP Community Forum members, (who are PP customers and not PP employees).
    PP are very open about the "style" of service supplied to customers, especially regarding things like: App based.....No call centres
    (saving in overheads and thus minimising costs for their customers).....No penalties for leaving....etc

The App is a rich source of information.....How to guides.....and FAQ's which cover virtually all aspects of being a PP customer.
    However, if you feel strongly that the PP methodology does not suit your expectancies of an energy supplier......they will not charge you a penalty for switching away to another supplier.
    Gray4276
  • Hi SirMalcolmF,

Welcome to the Community Forum for PP members.

I agree with the comments made by my fellow PP Community Forum members, (who are PP customers and not PP employees).
    PP are very open about the "style" of service supplied to customers, especially regarding things like: App based.....No call centres
    (saving in overheads and thus minimising costs for their customers).....No penalties for leaving....etc

The App is a rich source of information.....How to guides.....and FAQ's which cover virtually all aspects of being a PP customer.
    However, if you feel strongly that the PP methodology does not suit your expectancies of an energy supplier......they will not charge you a penalty for switching away to another supplier.
    Gray4276

• SirMalcolmF,
    welcome to PP! Like the other respondents I am a user trying to help other users.

I would love the idea of receiving everything from PP in the format I want so I could process it further in a spreadsheet. But I don’t want it annually, I want it daily, or even hourly, or real time... And having hopped regularly between providers, I have yet to find one that provides those figures in Excel.

If you are a long-term PP customer you would have received monthly statements that show your forecasted annual usage and monthly consumption etc, and you could create your own spreadsheet in whatever format you desire as many community members do.

It’s not clear from your post why you need the usage PA in excel. Is it because you don’t want to process the data in the monthly statements yourself? Or do you have a very specific need for it to be an official statement? And in terms of content/data, is it just the annual kWh figures or all monthly sub totals you’re after?

If you are after the annual statement that utility providers send to customers, there have been some changes recently in what suppliers are required to provide..

Ofgem, the energy regulator, has what’s called the ‘Domestic supplier-customer communications rulebook’ which used to describe in prescriptive narrow terms what energy suppliers must communicate to their customers as part of the standard licence conditions.

In May 2018 Ofgem started a stakeholder consultation on how reforms it wanted to make to the rule book, and make it less prescriptive and more principle-oriented.

On Annual Statements - as that resembles what you’re asking for - , Ofgem proposed scrapping them as they found that annual statements serve limited purpose and do little for customers to change suppliers. so Ofgem proposed to replace certain prescriptive requirements as to annual statements with a requirement for suppliers to provide similar information contained in such a statement to consumers at key engagement points and throughout each year in a format that the supplier could decide upon. It basically gave suppliers a bit more freedom.

Ofgem concluded by stating that the Annual Statement could still be a useful tool, and didn’t wish to dissuade suppliers from continuing to issue annual statements if they wanted to. However, they felt their proposals would give suppliers more flexibility to decide on the most effective timing and way to provide the information, in order to deliver the outcomes it wanted to see.

In Dec 2018 Ofgem published its final decision, which included the removal of the requirement for suppliers to provide Annual Statements altogether.

This means that energy suppliers are no longer legally required by the regulator under the standard licence conditions and the ‘Domestic supplier-customer communications rulebook’ to provide you with an Annual Statement (but a supplier could still do so if it wanted)

Having established that that suppliers are not required to provide annual statements (and ignoring the option of creating annual consumption figures from the monthly statements) if a supplier doesn’t want to give the info you want because it feels it’s no longer required to provide such data following the scrapping of the requirement to provide an annual statement, you could always take the GDPR route and submit a subject access request, which will require any company to turn over all the data it has collected on you within 30 days. That data will enable you to create the annual consumption in the format you need.

Anyway, I hope this helps to explain why annual statements no longer are a regulatory requirement. if your remark is intended to suggest that some customers prefer data in a spreadsheet for processing, I am sure there are community members who agree...

Quote Originally Posted by SirMalcolmF View Post
    I need to know my usage PA. Surely this can provided in Excel format on an official yearly statement?
  • SirMalcolmF,
    welcome to PP! Like the other respondents I am a user trying to help other users.

I would love the idea of receiving everything from PP in the format I want so I could process it further in a spreadsheet. But I don’t want it annually, I want it daily, or even hourly, or real time... And having hopped regularly between providers, I have yet to find one that provides those figures in Excel.

If you are a long-term PP customer you would have received monthly statements that show your forecasted annual usage and monthly consumption etc, and you could create your own spreadsheet in whatever format you desire as many community members do.

It’s not clear from your post why you need the usage PA in excel. Is it because you don’t want to process the data in the monthly statements yourself? Or do you have a very specific need for it to be an official statement? And in terms of content/data, is it just the annual kWh figures or all monthly sub totals you’re after?

If you are after the annual statement that utility providers send to customers, there have been some changes recently in what suppliers are required to provide..

Ofgem, the energy regulator, has what’s called the ‘Domestic supplier-customer communications rulebook’ which used to describe in prescriptive narrow terms what energy suppliers must communicate to their customers as part of the standard licence conditions.

In May 2018 Ofgem started a stakeholder consultation on how reforms it wanted to make to the rule book, and make it less prescriptive and more principle-oriented.

On Annual Statements - as that resembles what you’re asking for - , Ofgem proposed scrapping them as they found that annual statements serve limited purpose and do little for customers to change suppliers. so Ofgem proposed to replace certain prescriptive requirements as to annual statements with a requirement for suppliers to provide similar information contained in such a statement to consumers at key engagement points and throughout each year in a format that the supplier could decide upon. It basically gave suppliers a bit more freedom.

Ofgem concluded by stating that the Annual Statement could still be a useful tool, and didn’t wish to dissuade suppliers from continuing to issue annual statements if they wanted to. However, they felt their proposals would give suppliers more flexibility to decide on the most effective timing and way to provide the information, in order to deliver the outcomes it wanted to see.

In Dec 2018 Ofgem published its final decision, which included the removal of the requirement for suppliers to provide Annual Statements altogether.

This means that energy suppliers are no longer legally required by the regulator under the standard licence conditions and the ‘Domestic supplier-customer communications rulebook’ to provide you with an Annual Statement (but a supplier could still do so if it wanted)

Having established that that suppliers are not required to provide annual statements (and ignoring the option of creating annual consumption figures from the monthly statements) if a supplier doesn’t want to give the info you want because it feels it’s no longer required to provide such data following the scrapping of the requirement to provide an annual statement, you could always take the GDPR route and submit a subject access request, which will require any company to turn over all the data it has collected on you within 30 days. That data will enable you to create the annual consumption in the format you need.

Anyway, I hope this helps to explain why annual statements no longer are a regulatory requirement. if your remark is intended to suggest that some customers prefer data in a spreadsheet for processing, I am sure there are community members who agree...

Quote Originally Posted by SirMalcolmF View Post

• ooops, apologies sirmalcom - I was so busy addressing the comments I forgot to mention the excel part, I meant to ask, do you get excel data from all your utility providers, water, telecoms, etc?
  • ooops, apologies sirmalcom - I was so busy addressing the comments I forgot to mention the excel part, I meant to ask, do you get excel data from all your utility providers, water, telecoms, etc?

• A very thorough reply Dutch.
    How difficult is it to enter 12 (or 24) readings in a spreadsheet? 30 seconds once a month?
    (I'm excluding this large granularity approach in your case as you want a data logging approach, so maybe just a few more than 24 in your case).

I would suggest that there is sufficient data in the statements to produce a perfectly usable spreadsheet.

My water company, telecom provider, some banks, tesco, etc. don't provide excel data, yes I agree it would be nice to have the option, and I would use it but I disagree that there are lots of people who really want it, I suspect we are in a small minority.

​I'm more focussed on getting the algorithm for projected annual use fixed...
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchCaerleon View Post
    SirMalcolmF,

• A very thorough reply Dutch.
    How difficult is it to enter 12 (or 24) readings in a spreadsheet? 30 seconds once a month?
    (I'm excluding this large granularity approach in your case as you want a data logging approach, so maybe just a few more than 24 in your case).

I would suggest that there is sufficient data in the statements to produce a perfectly usable spreadsheet.

My water company, telecom provider, some banks, tesco, etc. don't provide excel data, yes I agree it would be nice to have the option, and I would use it but I disagree that there are lots of people who really want it, I suspect we are in a small minority.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchCaerleon View Post
    SirMalcolmF,

• 6 months in my annual projected costs and usage shown on my latest statement has panned out close to my original quotation, which I set only slightly higher when joining. My current credit balance is less then half of the warmer DD and will build up to be above the winter DD from October. I forecast that will place me at a similar point when I joined PP. Obviousy the weather has not been too disruptive and my usage has not been affected by my at home pattern v original prediction.

Currently it's working fine an dandy.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 14-06-19 at 08:43.
  • 6 months in my annual projected costs and usage shown on my latest statement has panned out close to my original quotation, which I set only slightly higher when joining. My current credit balance is less then half of the warmer DD and will build up to be above the winter DD from October. I forecast that will place me at a similar point when I joined PP. Obviousy the weather has not been too disruptive and my usage has not been affected by my at home pattern v original prediction.

Currently it's working fine an dandy.

• Hi again SirMalcolmF,

As you can see, the Community members are a real "font of knowledge and useful intentions".........this Community is full of members who are only too willing to offer advice and assistance to anyone, all you need to do is ask.
    I think that we have provided some useful and "in depth" responses to your initial comments, and that you now have a better understanding on the Community of PP customers, and also the "thinking" behind the PP business philosophy. I hope that you stay a PP customer and a Community Forum member long enough to appreciate what is available for you.
    Gray4276
  • Hi again SirMalcolmF,

As you can see, the Community members are a real "font of knowledge and useful intentions".........this Community is full of members who are only too willing to offer advice and assistance to anyone, all you need to do is ask.
    I think that we have provided some useful and "in depth" responses to your initial comments, and that you now have a better understanding on the Community of PP customers, and also the "thinking" behind the PP business philosophy. I hope that you stay a PP customer and a Community Forum member long enough to appreciate what is available for you.
    Gray4276

• Hi Woz,
    You’re right, us amateur statisticians are in a minority...

I’m only 8 months into my first year with PP, but I started to notice that the correlation between the estimated annual usage on the energy statement and the actual monthly usage was weak, so I started keeping track PP estimated annual usage each time the statement arrives.

My own annual estimate is that I may end up using 5K less gas kWh this year - around 25% of last year’s annual usage. Corrected for ambient temperature I calculated a 31% gas usage reduction YTD compared to last year, which I contribute to the Tado smart thermostat system and draught proofing my property). PP’s estimated annual usage however has only just started to move downwards. This doesn’t make a lot of sense as statistically over the next three-four months we use the least amount of gas per month as the heating’s off..

Here are some graphs from my spreadsheet..

The top one shows monthly usage per month and the middle one shows YTD cumulative usage. The dots to the right of the middle graph show last year’s annual usage, and show that trend ytd gas usage will end up far below last year’s usage. The bottom graph tracks how PP annual estimated usage changes per monthly statement and why I have my doubts about its accuracy...
    Name:  C355ECF5-3F62-4315-90AC-C4216E144239.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  232.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    A very thorough reply Dutch.

• Hi Woz,
    You’re right, us amateur statisticians are in a minority...

I’m only 8 months into my first year with PP, but I started to notice that the correlation between the estimated annual usage on the energy statement and the actual monthly usage was weak, so I started keeping track PP estimated annual usage each time the statement arrives.

My own annual estimate is that I may end up using 5K less gas kWh this year - around 25% of last year’s annual usage. Corrected for ambient temperature I calculated a 31% gas usage reduction YTD compared to last year, which I contribute to the Tado smart thermostat system and draught proofing my property). PP’s estimated annual usage however has only just started to move downwards. This doesn’t make a lot of sense as statistically over the next three-four months we use the least amount of gas per month as the heating’s off..

Here are some graphs from my spreadsheet..

The top one shows monthly usage per month and the middle one shows YTD cumulative usage. The dots to the right of the middle graph show last year’s annual usage, and show that trend ytd gas usage will end up far below last year’s usage. The bottom graph tracks how PP annual estimated usage changes per monthly statement and why I have my doubts about its accuracy...
    Name:  C355ECF5-3F62-4315-90AC-C4216E144239.jpeg
Views: 46
Size:  232.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    A very thorough reply Dutch.

• Impressive! 🙀🙀🙀🙀👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Impressive! 🙀🙀🙀🙀👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

• Very impressive indeed.
    In my situation i started with a very very low annual estimate, gowever this slowly crept upwards and now after 11 months is pretty much spot on to actual usage.
    So im guessing inital estimates are based on wholly innaccurate historical readings but once you been with PP for a full 12 month cycle they have/will become fairly accurate. Provided you dont increase/decrease actual usage much versus lsst year.
  • Very impressive indeed.
    In my situation i started with a very very low annual estimate, gowever this slowly crept upwards and now after 11 months is pretty much spot on to actual usage.
    So im guessing inital estimates are based on wholly innaccurate historical readings but once you been with PP for a full 12 month cycle they have/will become fairly accurate. Provided you dont increase/decrease actual usage much versus lsst year.

• Hi Jon,
    thanks for your comment. I would simply like the annual estimate to be more accurate, and I would (perhaps incorrectly) assume that a supplier has access to data that can do forecasting with a degree of accuracy.

I picked up from woz’s post that he too spotted an issue with the annual usage forecast. This is why I shared my observation to see if this is a common issue or an isolated one.

I obviously don’t know how PP calculates the annual estimate, but it seems odd to have to be with a supplier for a year before the usage estimate approaches something that’s accurate.

I haven’t looked into it but I thought energy suppliers had access to a database of meter readings of a customer’s property that predates a customer joining the company. If that’s correct, it would make sense to use that data to create a more accurate forecast.

Even if they didn’t have a customer’s historical data, surely there are ways to model annual usage and adjust annual usage forecast after each meter reading, taking into considering heating/weather/daylight factors/time of year etc.

But of course, I have no knowledge of how an energy supplier works. Perhaps Marc could persuade someone from a relevant department to do an Ask Me Anything session with the community? That would strengthen engagement..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Very impressive indeed.
  • Hi Jon,
    thanks for your comment. I would simply like the annual estimate to be more accurate, and I would (perhaps incorrectly) assume that a supplier has access to data that can do forecasting with a degree of accuracy.

I picked up from woz’s post that he too spotted an issue with the annual usage forecast. This is why I shared my observation to see if this is a common issue or an isolated one.

I obviously don’t know how PP calculates the annual estimate, but it seems odd to have to be with a supplier for a year before the usage estimate approaches something that’s accurate.

I haven’t looked into it but I thought energy suppliers had access to a database of meter readings of a customer’s property that predates a customer joining the company. If that’s correct, it would make sense to use that data to create a more accurate forecast.

Even if they didn’t have a customer’s historical data, surely there are ways to model annual usage and adjust annual usage forecast after each meter reading, taking into considering heating/weather/daylight factors/time of year etc.

But of course, I have no knowledge of how an energy supplier works. Perhaps Marc could persuade someone from a relevant department to do an Ask Me Anything session with the community? That would strengthen engagement..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Very impressive indeed.

• HI Dutch and jon
    I suspect, looking at the figures on my statement that the annual use seems to be weighted by the last reading. I can't explain the skewing yet, but as you say more info on how it's derived might help. I'm impressed by your graphs!
    I've posted in the ideas section about this, hopefully it will be looked at at some point.
    Later edit, I forgot to ask Dutch, what method or source are you using to allow for gas use linked to weather/temperature?
    Have you seen THIS

​Jon1, if I'm correct the skewing is related to variations in use, if your usage is reasonably constant month to month, it will be reasonably accurate/consistent. My electric annual varies much less than the gas (do you heat with electric or oil? I seem to remember you saying you didn't have gas?)
    Last edited by woz; 14-06-19 at 13:42.
  • HI Dutch and jon
    I suspect, looking at the figures on my statement that the annual use seems to be weighted by the last reading. I can't explain the skewing yet, but as you say more info on how it's derived might help. I'm impressed by your graphs!
    I've posted in the ideas section about this, hopefully it will be looked at at some point.
    Later edit, I forgot to ask Dutch, what method or source are you using to allow for gas use linked to weather/temperature?
    Have you seen THIS

​Jon1, if I'm correct the skewing is related to variations in use, if your usage is reasonably constant month to month, it will be reasonably accurate/consistent. My electric annual varies much less than the gas (do you heat with electric or oil? I seem to remember you saying you didn't have gas?)