• How can I check the effectiveness of my Cavity Wall Insulation

Hi everyone,

We had Cavity Wall Insulation installed into our 1970's 3 bedroom detached house about 20 years ago. It was a "blown in fibre material" which was injected at numerous points around the outside wall. I have no idea if the work was done effectively......there was no way to review the installation.

I was wondering if there is an agency/company that could investigate the quality of my insulation, with a view to recommending an upgrade (if necessary).

My reasoning behind this is, as this is a large house, I want to maximise the effectiveness of my central heating system, to help reduce my gas running costs. I have an efficient boiler and am running TRV's, and I am running the system as effectively as is humanly possible.

I also have very good loft insulation installed, so it is only really the efficiency of my Cavity Wall Insulation that it the "undefined" element, that I would like to get a handle on.

Anyone got any ideas........Cheers 🙏 🤔 🖖 ☕
    Tap below to see the best answer
    Gray4276
  • Hi everyone,

We had Cavity Wall Insulation installed into our 1970's 3 bedroom detached house about 20 years ago. It was a "blown in fibre material" which was injected at numerous points around the outside wall. I have no idea if the work was done effectively......there was no way to review the installation.

I was wondering if there is an agency/company that could investigate the quality of my insulation, with a view to recommending an upgrade (if necessary).

My reasoning behind this is, as this is a large house, I want to maximise the effectiveness of my central heating system, to help reduce my gas running costs. I have an efficient boiler and am running TRV's, and I am running the system as effectively as is humanly possible.

I also have very good loft insulation installed, so it is only really the efficiency of my Cavity Wall Insulation that it the "undefined" element, that I would like to get a handle on.

Anyone got any ideas........Cheers 🙏 🤔 🖖 ☕
    Tap below to see the best answer
    Gray4276

• Best Answer

Hi Gray,
    I have no experience in this area, but here are some suggestions which I hope may get you a step closer.

The energy saving trust trust may be able to point you in the right direction. They have some excellent publications but you need to use google to get to them as their own online search is not very good.

I’d give them a ring and see if can help by putting you in touch with someone who can offer some useful advice. Or, if you come across a relevant/ recent EST publication dealing with your type of CWI, look for a name/contact details of a contributing consultant, find their details online or get it from the EST and reach out to the consultant.

Alternatively contact a local installer and ask if they can assess whether your 20 year-old insulation is still any good, and perhaps they have the appropriate methodology/skills.

Lastly, there are a number of cavity wall insulation installer associations. They could perhaps offer advice because I assume they may have a list of consultants who do assessments on properties’ CWI on the association’s behalf as part of dealing with legacy claims dating back to when CWI wasn’t done to today’s standard.

Here is a guide with some contact details on the last pages:
    http://www.carltd.com/sites/carwebsi...y%20Primer.pdf

Hope any of these suggestions will help. Best of luck and keep us posted how you get on!
    Last edited by DutchCaerleon; 13-06-19 at 10:02.
  • Hi Gray,
    I have no experience in this area, but here are some suggestions which I hope may get you a step closer.

The energy saving trust trust may be able to point you in the right direction. They have some excellent publications but you need to use google to get to them as their own online search is not very good.

I’d give them a ring and see if can help by putting you in touch with someone who can offer some useful advice. Or, if you come across a relevant/ recent EST publication dealing with your type of CWI, look for a name/contact details of a contributing consultant, find their details online or get it from the EST and reach out to the consultant.

Alternatively contact a local installer and ask if they can assess whether your 20 year-old insulation is still any good, and perhaps they have the appropriate methodology/skills.

Lastly, there are a number of cavity wall insulation installer associations. They could perhaps offer advice because I assume they may have a list of consultants who do assessments on properties’ CWI on the association’s behalf as part of dealing with legacy claims dating back to when CWI wasn’t done to today’s standard.

Here is a guide with some contact details on the last pages:
    http://www.carltd.com/sites/carwebsi...y%20Primer.pdf

Hope any of these suggestions will help. Best of luck and keep us posted how you get on!

• I do know of someone who gave a donation to the local fire brigade and they came round and used their house as a training exercise with their heat seaking equipment. It may help if you know a senior fireman.
  • I do know of someone who gave a donation to the local fire brigade and they came round and used their house as a training exercise with their heat seaking equipment. It may help if you know a senior fireman.

• Calculate the theoretical U value from the construction?
    Hire someone with an infra-red camera? I'd love one but they cost lots so I can't justify it
    More to the point what are you going to do if it isn't very good? (you could it triple glazing? although it won't help the walls)
    Last edited by woz; 12-06-19 at 18:14.
  • Calculate the theoretical U value from the construction?
    Hire someone with an infra-red camera? I'd love one but they cost lots so I can't justify it
    More to the point what are you going to do if it isn't very good? (you could it triple glazing? although it won't help the walls)

• Hi Woz,

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Calculate the theoretical U value from the construction?
    I could install triple glazing......but as you say that's not going to improve my CW insulation. And as it's the efficiency of my CW insulation that I would like to determine. I realise that an Infra Red camera is probably the best tool for the job. But who do I approach to get an assessment done.
    The method of installing my CW insulation, leaves me suspecting that I'm likely to have small piles of material in a few places.....and piles of "nothing" in other areas. For example when I drilled through the wall to install satellite cable, no insulation material was evident.
    I suppose I could ask an installer to "review" my property.......with the subsequent "hard sell" tactic to follow.

I was hoping that maybe someone would know of an organization that could assist.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Woz,

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Calculate the theoretical U value from the construction?
    I could install triple glazing......but as you say that's not going to improve my CW insulation. And as it's the efficiency of my CW insulation that I would like to determine. I realise that an Infra Red camera is probably the best tool for the job. But who do I approach to get an assessment done.
    The method of installing my CW insulation, leaves me suspecting that I'm likely to have small piles of material in a few places.....and piles of "nothing" in other areas. For example when I drilled through the wall to install satellite cable, no insulation material was evident.
    I suppose I could ask an installer to "review" my property.......with the subsequent "hard sell" tactic to follow.

I was hoping that maybe someone would know of an organization that could assist.
    Gray4276

• Cheers Dutch,

That's just the sort of help that I was hoping for.
    Gray4276
  • Cheers Dutch,

That's just the sort of help that I was hoping for.
    Gray4276

• I don't know from personal experience because I have not sold my house since the requirement to do an energy report on a house to get a house sellers Energy Performance Certificate came in to effect.

However presumably they do a survey in order to give your house a rating for such a report. Whether this is purely a visual audit or whether they actually would do an IR thermal test I don't know.

You could therefore consider getting an EPC as if you were going to sell your house.

My current house is too old to have cavity walls so I cannot go that route myself. I have fitted double glazing, I am considering in some places replacing the current very old plaster with insulated plaster board but even the thinnest and even by not using batons and directly 'gluing' to the bricks these may be too thick for an existing property.
    Last edited by jelockwood; 03-07-19 at 11:35.
  • I don't know from personal experience because I have not sold my house since the requirement to do an energy report on a house to get a house sellers Energy Performance Certificate came in to effect.

However presumably they do a survey in order to give your house a rating for such a report. Whether this is purely a visual audit or whether they actually would do an IR thermal test I don't know.

You could therefore consider getting an EPC as if you were going to sell your house.

My current house is too old to have cavity walls so I cannot go that route myself. I have fitted double glazing, I am considering in some places replacing the current very old plaster with insulated plaster board but even the thinnest and even by not using batons and directly 'gluing' to the bricks these may be too thick for an existing property.

• Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post

Hi jelockwood,

An EPC is a good idea..... but I suspect that it would be a visual inspection. I would imagine that a thermal imaging EPC would be cost prohibitive for my requirements.
    Good idea though.... Thanks
    Last edited by Gray4276; 03-07-19 at 10:26.
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post

Hi jelockwood,

An EPC is a good idea..... but I suspect that it would be a visual inspection. I would imagine that a thermal imaging EPC would be cost prohibitive for my requirements.
    Good idea though.... Thanks
    Gray4276

• An EPC assessor might not even taken CWI into account unless there is visual evidence of holes from blowing it in or receipts. Many cheap ones are just “drive by” and based on limited assumptions.

- - - Updated - - -

If you like gadgets you can buy a smartphone add on IR camera for about £200. Depending on where you are in the country, local community energy groups sometimes have cameras and can do an energy survey.
  • An EPC assessor might not even taken CWI into account unless there is visual evidence of holes from blowing it in or receipts. Many cheap ones are just “drive by” and based on limited assumptions.

- - - Updated - - -

If you like gadgets you can buy a smartphone add on IR camera for about £200. Depending on where you are in the country, local community energy groups sometimes have cameras and can do an energy survey.