• Dumb meter turning Smart

Hi,

I have a Chameleon (dumb meter) installed by my previous supplier. As per the information listed here on the community, I will not be getting a new smart meter installed by PP. As the old dumb meters, are supposedly turning smart.

On this post listed here:
    Will you support my 1st generation SMETS1 smart meter?
    https://community.purepla.net/conten...eter#ckb_start

It states certain brands and dates as to when they are turning smart again. There however is no reference to my brand of Smart meter. When is this likely to be updated, will it ever be updated or will I now be rolled out a new smart meter as this brand is not listed here?

Cheers
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi,

I have a Chameleon (dumb meter) installed by my previous supplier. As per the information listed here on the community, I will not be getting a new smart meter installed by PP. As the old dumb meters, are supposedly turning smart.

It states certain brands and dates as to when they are turning smart again. There however is no reference to my brand of Smart meter. When is this likely to be updated, will it ever be updated or will I now be rolled out a new smart meter as this brand is not listed here?

Cheers
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi Omegajb
    I suspect the Chameleon is the In Home Display, not the actual meter which is some other manufacturer, maybe Siemens? Have a look at the actual meter.
    I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegajb View Post
    Hi,

Cheers
  • hi Omegajb
    I suspect the Chameleon is the In Home Display, not the actual meter which is some other manufacturer, maybe Siemens? Have a look at the actual meter.
    I may be wrong.

Hi,

Cheers

• Hey Woz,

The only other thing that could relate to a manufacturer is "Zigbee" which again isn't listed on the post above. I did a quick search for "EDF" prior to posting and a couple other members also stated "Chameleon". So I presumed that was the manufacturer. Maybe its "Zigbee".
  • Hey Woz,

The only other thing that could relate to a manufacturer is "Zigbee" which again isn't listed on the post above. I did a quick search for "EDF" prior to posting and a couple other members also stated "Chameleon". So I presumed that was the manufacturer. Maybe its "Zigbee".

• hi Ωjb
    ​no..Zigbee is the communication protocol.
    Go to the actual meter and take a look at it, post a photo if not sure
    Hey Woz,

• hi Ωjb
    ​no..Zigbee is the communication protocol.
    Go to the actual meter and take a look at it, post a photo if not sure
    Hey Woz,

• Haha I feel silly now Woz, I thought the display was the meter itself. I didnt realise the meter was the part in the cupboard! It's an Aclara so by the forum post late July it seems.

Thanks for your help!
  • Haha I feel silly now Woz, I thought the display was the meter itself. I didnt realise the meter was the part in the cupboard! It's an Aclara so by the forum post late July it seems.

Thanks for your help!

• Hey @Marc,

Apologies for Hi-Jacking this thread........I've just checked out the link that was included in the initial post. According to that, my make of meters (Secure), are due to start their software upgrade in Sept 19. With regards to the PP installation schedule.........does this look to be a possibility. If not can you estimate the possible approximate start date ??
    Gray4276
  • Hey @Marc,

Apologies for Hi-Jacking this thread........I've just checked out the link that was included in the initial post. According to that, my make of meters (Secure), are due to start their software upgrade in Sept 19. With regards to the PP installation schedule.........does this look to be a possibility. If not can you estimate the possible approximate start date ??
    Gray4276

• ha -you're very welcome, it's a common mistake no need to feel silly!
    Haha I feel silly now Woz, I thought the display was the meter itself. I didnt realise the meter was the part in the cupboard! It's an Aclara so by the forum post late July it seems.

Thanks for your help!
  • ha -you're very welcome, it's a common mistake no need to feel silly!
    Haha I feel silly now Woz, I thought the display was the meter itself. I didnt realise the meter was the part in the cupboard! It's an Aclara so by the forum post late July it seems.

Thanks for your help!

• Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hey @Marc,

Hi @Gray4276
    If you've got a SMETS1 which is on the timetable for an upgrade, there won't be a SMETS2 installation.
    Does that answer your question? Sorry I'm a little confused (not for the first time!) by it.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    Hey @Marc,

Hi @Gray4276
    If you've got a SMETS1 which is on the timetable for an upgrade, there won't be a SMETS2 installation.
    Does that answer your question? Sorry I'm a little confused (not for the first time!) by it.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Hi Marc,

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Gray4276
    The link that was included within Omegajb 's initial post is a commentary from DCC which quoted that a programme of software upgrade to "un-dumb" the existing Smet1 that have gone "dumb" following a switch of supplier.......This is a software upgrade and is obviously separate from the physical installation process. I'm fully aware that my 1st gen meter will not be replaced by a new 2nd gen smart meter. I was just inquiring if PP knows when they may/can get involved with this software upgrade.
    I hope this has clarified my original quesquestion. If you open the link......I think my question becomes a little more understandable.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Marc,

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Gray4276
    The link that was included within Omegajb 's initial post is a commentary from DCC which quoted that a programme of software upgrade to "un-dumb" the existing Smet1 that have gone "dumb" following a switch of supplier.......This is a software upgrade and is obviously separate from the physical installation process. I'm fully aware that my 1st gen meter will not be replaced by a new 2nd gen smart meter. I was just inquiring if PP knows when they may/can get involved with this software upgrade.
    I hope this has clarified my original quesquestion. If you open the link......I think my question becomes a little more understandable.
    Gray4276

Hi Marc,

Hi @Gray4276
    Ah, yes we're moreoreless on the same page here!
    All we now right now is that the DCC plans to start these software (or is it 'firmware'?) upgrades. The dates in the FAQ have already been changed by the DCC a few times. When I say 'change' I mean of course 'delayed'
    The DCC has also advised that these dates are for the start of the upgrade. Which they may decide to do in batches, possibly by region. We're really waiting to hear more detail, and we want them to start this upgrade ASAP.
    I'm sure there will also be a 'pilot'/testing phase to begin with, too.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    Hi Marc,

Hi @Gray4276
    Ah, yes we're moreoreless on the same page here!
    All we now right now is that the DCC plans to start these software (or is it 'firmware'?) upgrades. The dates in the FAQ have already been changed by the DCC a few times. When I say 'change' I mean of course 'delayed'
    The DCC has also advised that these dates are for the start of the upgrade. Which they may decide to do in batches, possibly by region. We're really waiting to hear more detail, and we want them to start this upgrade ASAP.
    I'm sure there will also be a 'pilot'/testing phase to begin with, too.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Cheers @Marc,

I will just sit back and wait for notification from PP as to when this upgrade will take place. I know it's not up to PP to instigate this, and I'm confident that it will happen, once DCC have got their act together, and contacted all the suppliers.

Thanks for your responses to my (badly presented) query. 😎 🤔 👍
    Gray4276
  • Cheers @Marc,

I will just sit back and wait for notification from PP as to when this upgrade will take place. I know it's not up to PP to instigate this, and I'm confident that it will happen, once DCC have got their act together, and contacted all the suppliers.

Thanks for your responses to my (badly presented) query. 😎 🤔 👍
    Gray4276

• There isn't much that PP actually have to 'do' for these to start functioning as smart again. If they're enrolled into the DCC infrastructure, as PP are already a live DCC User (as they're actively installing SMETS2 meters) they will be enrolled and just 'wake up' whenever the DCC start their enrolment process.

As @Marc says, this is already delayed but should start happening before the end of this year. It will, however, take around 2 years to enrol all SMETS1s that are capable of being operated via the DCC.
  • There isn't much that PP actually have to 'do' for these to start functioning as smart again. If they're enrolled into the DCC infrastructure, as PP are already a live DCC User (as they're actively installing SMETS2 meters) they will be enrolled and just 'wake up' whenever the DCC start their enrolment process.

As @Marc says, this is already delayed but should start happening before the end of this year. It will, however, take around 2 years to enrol all SMETS1s that are capable of being operated via the DCC.

• hi MrSmart
    ​are you saying that the Smets1 meters won't require a firmware upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    There isn't much that PP actually have to 'do' for these to start functioning as smart again. If they're enrolled into the DCC infrastructure, as PP are already a live DCC User (as they're actively installing SMETS2 meters) they will be enrolled and just 'wake up' whenever the DCC start their enrolment process.

• hi MrSmart
    ​are you saying that the Smets1 meters won't require a firmware upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    There isn't much that PP actually have to 'do' for these to start functioning as smart again. If they're enrolled into the DCC infrastructure, as PP are already a live DCC User (as they're actively installing SMETS2 meters) they will be enrolled and just 'wake up' whenever the DCC start their enrolment process.

• Some will but that should already have happened. The installing supplier (BG, E.On, whoever) had a task prior to DCC doing their work to understand what the requirements for enrolment were to upgrade all of their installed assets to a version of firmware that is 'SMETS1 Compliant' rather than 'SMETS1 Capable' (if they're just capable they're not going to be enrolled).

By now, anything that is going to be enrolled is on the correct version and it will form part of the Eligible Product Combination List (EPCL) published by...SECAS, I think...which will detail which meters are eligible to be enrolled and with what firmware version.
  • Some will but that should already have happened. The installing supplier (BG, E.On, whoever) had a task prior to DCC doing their work to understand what the requirements for enrolment were to upgrade all of their installed assets to a version of firmware that is 'SMETS1 Compliant' rather than 'SMETS1 Capable' (if they're just capable they're not going to be enrolled).

By now, anything that is going to be enrolled is on the correct version and it will form part of the Eligible Product Combination List (EPCL) published by...SECAS, I think...which will detail which meters are eligible to be enrolled and with what firmware version.