• Smart meter fitting and location

I was wondering how flexible/cooperative the smart meter installers might be.

My current (dumb) meters are in a cupboard under the stairs. The gas and electricity supplies come up through the floor to the meters on the back wall of this cupboard.

I would want and be happy for the new meters to be in the same locations but have a question about the electricity cable. Unlike the gas pipe this currently comes up several inches from the wall and then leans over to the wall to enter the bottom of the electricity meter. I would like for this cable to be adjusted so it comes up much nearer to the wall so as to intrude less in to the cupboard.

So, how likely are the fitters to be able to do this at the same time? (Probably not at all I sadly suspect.)

Note: The house is over 130 years old and the main electricity cable looks almost as old.
  • I was wondering how flexible/cooperative the smart meter installers might be.

My current (dumb) meters are in a cupboard under the stairs. The gas and electricity supplies come up through the floor to the meters on the back wall of this cupboard.

I would want and be happy for the new meters to be in the same locations but have a question about the electricity cable. Unlike the gas pipe this currently comes up several inches from the wall and then leans over to the wall to enter the bottom of the electricity meter. I would like for this cable to be adjusted so it comes up much nearer to the wall so as to intrude less in to the cupboard.

So, how likely are the fitters to be able to do this at the same time? (Probably not at all I sadly suspect.)

Note: The house is over 130 years old and the main electricity cable looks almost as old.

• hi je
    I guess you can but ask on the day, an almost hot cup of tea (thermos?) and a packet of choc digestives/kitkat might help unless you get a grumpy one (but I'm sure they're all very nice!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post

• hi je
    I guess you can but ask on the day, an almost hot cup of tea (thermos?) and a packet of choc digestives/kitkat might help unless you get a grumpy one (but I'm sure they're all very nice!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post