• A gallon of petrol in 1971 cost 34.25p. In today’s money that equals to about £4.75. As opposed to about £5.86 today. Not as big a difference as many believe. As incomes then were an awful lot lower fuel was more expensive as a proportion of income. Many think things were a lot cheaper “when I was a lad” but they weren’t. My income when I started to work was £3 per week which equates to £1.50 per hour now. In July 1984 my quarter’s electricity bill was £69.21. Today that equates to £220.62. My last PP bill for May 2019 charged me £49.79 for electricity for one month which equates to £150 per quarter, less than I was paying in 1984. We tend to think things were cheaper but they were not and incomes were lower.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the Goblin Teasmaid. The electric drink machine I mean! An add on extra in a deluxe hotel room courtesy of the management! They were noisy!
    Richard
  • A gallon of petrol in 1971 cost 34.25p. In today’s money that equals to about £4.75. As opposed to about £5.86 today. Not as big a difference as many believe. As incomes then were an awful lot lower fuel was more expensive as a proportion of income. Many think things were a lot cheaper “when I was a lad” but they weren’t. My income when I started to work was £3 per week which equates to £1.50 per hour now. In July 1984 my quarter’s electricity bill was £69.21. Today that equates to £220.62. My last PP bill for May 2019 charged me £49.79 for electricity for one month which equates to £150 per quarter, less than I was paying in 1984. We tend to think things were cheaper but they were not and incomes were lower.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the Goblin Teasmaid. The electric drink machine I mean! An add on extra in a deluxe hotel room courtesy of the management! They were noisy!
    Richard
  • As a kid i remember watching a kids saturday morning show called "space 1999" and thinking my god i will never live till then.
    Name:  61FQH4tTUZL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  15.9 KB
  • As a kid i remember watching a kids saturday morning show called "space 1999" and thinking my god i will never live till then.
    Name:  61FQH4tTUZL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  15.9 KB
  • Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    A gallon of petrol in 1971 cost 34.25p. In today’s money that equals to about £4.75. As opposed to about £5.86 today. Not as big a difference as many believe. As incomes then were an awful lot lower fuel was more expensive as a proportion of income. Many think things were a lot cheaper “when I was a lad” but they weren’t. My income when I started to work was £3 per week which equates to £1.50 per hour now. In July 1984 my quarter’s electricity bill was £69.21. Today that equates to £220.62. My last PP bill for May 2019 charged me £49.79 for electricity for one month which equates to £150 per quarter, less than I was paying in 1984. We tend to think things were cheaper but they were not and incomes were lower.

- - - Updated - - -
    Really good point!

Though the money equivalent website I looked at says 34p in 1971 is about £3.36 now, or about 75p a litre?

Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    A gallon of petrol in 1971 cost 34.25p. In today’s money that equals to about £4.75. As opposed to about £5.86 today. Not as big a difference as many believe. As incomes then were an awful lot lower fuel was more expensive as a proportion of income. Many think things were a lot cheaper “when I was a lad” but they weren’t. My income when I started to work was £3 per week which equates to £1.50 per hour now. In July 1984 my quarter’s electricity bill was £69.21. Today that equates to £220.62. My last PP bill for May 2019 charged me £49.79 for electricity for one month which equates to £150 per quarter, less than I was paying in 1984. We tend to think things were cheaper but they were not and incomes were lower.

- - - Updated - - -
    Really good point!

Though the money equivalent website I looked at says 34p in 1971 is about £3.36 now, or about 75p a litre?

Stephen
  • I can remember when the Scotland national football team could (fairly regularly) qualify for the World Cup......... I can also remember when Scotland were the first team to beat the World Champions (England) .........in my mind that meant that Scotland were the new World Champions............ps I've had a lot of treatment since then and hopefully, one day I'll make a full recovery.
    Gray4276
  • I can remember when the Scotland national football team could (fairly regularly) qualify for the World Cup......... I can also remember when Scotland were the first team to beat the World Champions (England) .........in my mind that meant that Scotland were the new World Champions............ps I've had a lot of treatment since then and hopefully, one day I'll make a full recovery.
    Gray4276
  • I see why I love these forums now - I feel so young *ducks*

For me it's when I started using the same phrases my parents used when I'm talking to my kids.
    And these days when I look in the mirror I keep seeing my Dad looking back at me. That's not a bad thing though - miss the old fella.
  • I see why I love these forums now - I feel so young *ducks*

For me it's when I started using the same phrases my parents used when I'm talking to my kids.
    And these days when I look in the mirror I keep seeing my Dad looking back at me. That's not a bad thing though - miss the old fella.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    when I look in the mirror I keep seeing my Dad looking back at me. That's not a bad thing though - miss the old fella.
    Nice post @Jowl
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    when I look in the mirror I keep seeing my Dad looking back at me. That's not a bad thing though - miss the old fella.
    Nice post @Jowl
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• You know your getting old when breakfast includes Glucosamide and supper includes Statins.

When your grandchildren are studying 'The Falklands conflict' in history lessons.

When people rush over to help you after a fall instead of laughing. This is known as 'having a fall' rather than falling over.
  • You know your getting old when breakfast includes Glucosamide and supper includes Statins.

When your grandchildren are studying 'The Falklands conflict' in history lessons.

When people rush over to help you after a fall instead of laughing. This is known as 'having a fall' rather than falling over.