• A gallon of petrol in 1971 cost 34.25p. In today’s money that equals to about £4.75. As opposed to about £5.86 today. Not as big a difference as many believe. As incomes then were an awful lot lower fuel was more expensive as a proportion of income. Many think things were a lot cheaper “when I was a lad” but they weren’t. My income when I started to work was £3 per week which equates to £1.50 per hour now. In July 1984 my quarter’s electricity bill was £69.21. Today that equates to £220.62. My last PP bill for May 2019 charged me £49.79 for electricity for one month which equates to £150 per quarter, less than I was paying in 1984. We tend to think things were cheaper but they were not and incomes were lower.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the Goblin Teasmaid. The electric drink machine I mean! An add on extra in a deluxe hotel room courtesy of the management! They were noisy!
    Richard
  • A gallon of petrol in 1971 cost 34.25p. In today’s money that equals to about £4.75. As opposed to about £5.86 today. Not as big a difference as many believe. As incomes then were an awful lot lower fuel was more expensive as a proportion of income. Many think things were a lot cheaper “when I was a lad” but they weren’t. My income when I started to work was £3 per week which equates to £1.50 per hour now. In July 1984 my quarter’s electricity bill was £69.21. Today that equates to £220.62. My last PP bill for May 2019 charged me £49.79 for electricity for one month which equates to £150 per quarter, less than I was paying in 1984. We tend to think things were cheaper but they were not and incomes were lower.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the Goblin Teasmaid. The electric drink machine I mean! An add on extra in a deluxe hotel room courtesy of the management! They were noisy!
    Richard
  • As a kid i remember watching a kids saturday morning show called "space 1999" and thinking my god i will never live till then.
    Name:  61FQH4tTUZL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  15.9 KB
  • As a kid i remember watching a kids saturday morning show called "space 1999" and thinking my god i will never live till then.
  • Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    A gallon of petrol in 1971 cost 34.25p. In today’s money that equals to about £4.75. As opposed to about £5.86 today. Not as big a difference as many believe. As incomes then were an awful lot lower fuel was more expensive as a proportion of income. Many think things were a lot cheaper “when I was a lad” but they weren’t. My income when I started to work was £3 per week which equates to £1.50 per hour now. In July 1984 my quarter’s electricity bill was £69.21. Today that equates to £220.62. My last PP bill for May 2019 charged me £49.79 for electricity for one month which equates to £150 per quarter, less than I was paying in 1984. We tend to think things were cheaper but they were not and incomes were lower.

- - - Updated - - -
    Really good point!

Though the money equivalent website I looked at says 34p in 1971 is about £3.36 now, or about 75p a litre?

Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    A gallon of petrol in 1971 cost 34.25p. In today’s money that equals to about £4.75. As opposed to about £5.86 today. Not as big a difference as many believe. As incomes then were an awful lot lower fuel was more expensive as a proportion of income. Many think things were a lot cheaper “when I was a lad” but they weren’t. My income when I started to work was £3 per week which equates to £1.50 per hour now. In July 1984 my quarter’s electricity bill was £69.21. Today that equates to £220.62. My last PP bill for May 2019 charged me £49.79 for electricity for one month which equates to £150 per quarter, less than I was paying in 1984. We tend to think things were cheaper but they were not and incomes were lower.

- - - Updated - - -
    Really good point!

Though the money equivalent website I looked at says 34p in 1971 is about £3.36 now, or about 75p a litre?

Stephen
  • I can remember when the Scotland national football team could (fairly regularly) qualify for the World Cup......... I can also remember when Scotland were the first team to beat the World Champions (England) .........in my mind that meant that Scotland were the new World Champions............ps I've had a lot of treatment since then and hopefully, one day I'll make a full recovery.
    Gray4276
  • I can remember when the Scotland national football team could (fairly regularly) qualify for the World Cup......... I can also remember when Scotland were the first team to beat the World Champions (England) .........in my mind that meant that Scotland were the new World Champions............ps I've had a lot of treatment since then and hopefully, one day I'll make a full recovery.
    Gray4276
  • I see why I love these forums now - I feel so young *ducks*

For me it's when I started using the same phrases my parents used when I'm talking to my kids.
    And these days when I look in the mirror I keep seeing my Dad looking back at me. That's not a bad thing though - miss the old fella.
  • I see why I love these forums now - I feel so young *ducks*

For me it's when I started using the same phrases my parents used when I'm talking to my kids.
    And these days when I look in the mirror I keep seeing my Dad looking back at me. That's not a bad thing though - miss the old fella.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    when I look in the mirror I keep seeing my Dad looking back at me. That's not a bad thing though - miss the old fella.
    Nice post @Jowl
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    when I look in the mirror I keep seeing my Dad looking back at me. That's not a bad thing though - miss the old fella.
    Nice post @Jowl
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• You know your getting old when breakfast includes Glucosamide and supper includes Statins.

When your grandchildren are studying 'The Falklands conflict' in history lessons.

When people rush over to help you after a fall instead of laughing. This is known as 'having a fall' rather than falling over.
  • You know your getting old when breakfast includes Glucosamide and supper includes Statins.

When your grandchildren are studying 'The Falklands conflict' in history lessons.

When people rush over to help you after a fall instead of laughing. This is known as 'having a fall' rather than falling over.
  • Priceless Oakey 😂😂😂😂👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 👏
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Priceless Oakey 😂😂😂😂👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 👏

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I was about to post a comment about a Goblin Teasmade, but I'll probably get banned so I wont.
    Ha ha Woz, good one. Love the light relief, fnar fnar!

Also a sign of my age using fnar!

- - - Updated - - -

When I realise I've got shoes older than the new teaching assistant at my daughters' primary school.

Also, explaining the childhood game of Kerby to my daughters knowing full well they'll never be able to play it as there are three times as many cars on the road today!
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I was about to post a comment about a Goblin Teasmade, but I'll probably get banned so I wont.
    Ha ha Woz, good one. Love the light relief, fnar fnar!

Also a sign of my age using fnar!

- - - Updated - - -

When I realise I've got shoes older than the new teaching assistant at my daughters' primary school.

Also, explaining the childhood game of Kerby to my daughters knowing full well they'll never be able to play it as there are three times as many cars on the road today!
  • You know you're getting old when...... You keep repeating yourself.......... You know you're getting old when....... You keep repeating yourself....... You know you're getting old when....... You keep repeating yourself.......
    Gray4276
  • You know you're getting old when...... You keep repeating yourself.......... You know you're getting old when....... You keep repeating yourself....... You know you're getting old when....... You keep repeating yourself.......
    Gray4276
  • LOL Gray 😂😂😂😂👍, and spot on re Kerby Ange, spot on 👍👍👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • LOL Gray 😂😂😂😂👍, and spot on re Kerby Ange, spot on 👍👍👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    You know you're getting old when...... You keep repeating yourself.......... You know you're getting old when....... You keep repeating yourself....... You know you're getting old when....... You keep repeating yourself.......
    I find it's more like when you have forgotten what you were going to say
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    You know you're getting old when...... You keep repeating yourself.......... You know you're getting old when....... You keep repeating yourself....... You know you're getting old when....... You keep repeating yourself.......
  • Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    I was gonna say that !!!
    I think??
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    I was gonna say that !!!
    I think??
    Gray4276
  • Or you go onto google, like I did last night, get distracted for literally 30 seconds, look back down at your iPad and think what the hell was I gonna look for?! 😂😂😂🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🤪

WALT WHITMAN
  • Or you go onto google, like I did last night, get distracted for literally 30 seconds, look back down at your iPad and think what the hell was I gonna look for?! 😂😂😂🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🤪

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Or you go onto google, like I did last night, get distracted for literally 30 seconds, look back down at your iPad and think what the hell was I gonna look for?! ���������������� ���������������� ���������������� ����������
    It's not just me then
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Or you go onto google, like I did last night, get distracted for literally 30 seconds, look back down at your iPad and think what the hell was I gonna look for?! ���������������� ���������������� ���������������� ����������
    It's not just me then
  • The school thing is an interesting one. Part of my job is Providing IT support to Primary schools - and I've been doing it for nearly 20 years. The teachers have gone from being 'old' to me having trouble telling who is the teacher and who is a pupil in Year 6

Even some of the heads are younger than me!
  • The school thing is an interesting one. Part of my job is Providing IT support to Primary schools - and I've been doing it for nearly 20 years. The teachers have gone from being 'old' to me having trouble telling who is the teacher and who is a pupil in Year 6

Even some of the heads are younger than me!
  • When you look at the window and think 'ooohhh, great drying weather'. I swear I've turned into my Grandmother.
  • When you look at the window and think 'ooohhh, great drying weather'. I swear I've turned into my Grandmother.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    As a kid i remember watching a kids saturday morning show called "space 1999" and thinking my god i will never live till then.
    @Jon1, you have brought memories flooding back, we loved that show. Especially the woman with the funky eyebrows (name escapes me, age and all that). I also remember watching The Fall Guy.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    As a kid i remember watching a kids saturday morning show called "space 1999" and thinking my god i will never live till then.
    @Jon1, you have brought memories flooding back, we loved that show. Especially the woman with the funky eyebrows (name escapes me, age and all that). I also remember watching The Fall Guy.
  • ha - no wonder you couldn't remember her name...that's a sign of normality.
    ​Zienia Merton, played by Sandra Benes, I woudn't have know even if I knew, which I didn't
    Quote Originally Posted by NannyOgg View Post
  • ha - no wonder you couldn't remember her name...that's a sign of normality.
    ​Zienia Merton, played by Sandra Benes, I woudn't have know even if I knew, which I didn't
    Quote Originally Posted by NannyOgg View Post
  • A big one as a teacher, when I scan the staffroom in briefing and feel I must be in there with several sixth formers. And informing others of yesteryear prices eg bus fare in early 1980s got change from 10p. Discussing ZX81 as the 'big' breakthrough in home computing. Clive Sinclair and his DelBoy cart the C5!!! I could go on
  • A big one as a teacher, when I scan the staffroom in briefing and feel I must be in there with several sixth formers. And informing others of yesteryear prices eg bus fare in early 1980s got change from 10p. Discussing ZX81 as the 'big' breakthrough in home computing. Clive Sinclair and his DelBoy cart the C5!!! I could go on