• Are EV charging cables a ridiculous price for what they are? Also Nissan Leaf question.

Am I unrealistic or are most EV charging cables a ridiculous price for what they are?

I've just been looking at some of the simpler cables and adapters, the ones without any electronics built in, and compared to other electrical items of similar heft and complexity they seem to be overpriced by a factor or 2 to 3 times.

After all how much would you expect to pay for 2 connectors and a piece of wire - a lot less than £120 to £150

Is my understanding correct in that the pre 2018 Leaf uses a Type 1 cable?
    If so does it come with a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter?
    Do all charging stations accommodate the pre 2018 leaf?
  • Am I unrealistic or are most EV charging cables a ridiculous price for what they are?

I've just been looking at some of the simpler cables and adapters, the ones without any electronics built in, and compared to other electrical items of similar heft and complexity they seem to be overpriced by a factor or 2 to 3 times.

After all how much would you expect to pay for 2 connectors and a piece of wire - a lot less than £120 to £150

Is my understanding correct in that the pre 2018 Leaf uses a Type 1 cable?
    If so does it come with a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter?
    Do all charging stations accommodate the pre 2018 leaf?
  • Hi @woz
    Yes the pre-2018 Leaf uses a Type 1.
    I'm not sure if one would come with a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter. I guess it depends on who's selling it. My feeling is that you'd need to pay extra for that.
    I had a quick look at Zap Map's filter function to show me a map of the UK with Type 1 charging points selected:

Looks like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	type 1 charging stations.PNG 
Views:	49 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	2308

And type 2 looks like this.

Name:	type 2 charging stations.PNG 
Views:	53 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	2309

Way more type 2 charging points, so you'd need that adapter I reckon.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi @woz
    Yes the pre-2018 Leaf uses a Type 1.
    I'm not sure if one would come with a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter. I guess it depends on who's selling it. My feeling is that you'd need to pay extra for that.
    I had a quick look at Zap Map's filter function to show me a map of the UK with Type 1 charging points selected:

Looks like this

Name:	type 1 charging stations.PNG 
Views:	49 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	2308

And type 2 looks like this.

Name:	type 2 charging stations.PNG 
Views:	53 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	2309

Way more type 2 charging points, so you'd need that adapter I reckon.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​