• Solar panels

Home solar panel installations fall by 94% as subsidies cut - Guardian article.

The opposition said data showed the scrapping of home panel subsidies from April caused new solar power capacity to fall from 79MW in March to only 5MW last month.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...-subsidies-cut

Stephen
  • Home solar panel installations fall by 94% as subsidies cut - Guardian article.

The opposition said data showed the scrapping of home panel subsidies from April caused new solar power capacity to fall from 79MW in March to only 5MW last month.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...-subsidies-cut

Stephen
  • Ive always wanted to have solar panels but missed the boat with the govt incentive.
    Too expensive to buy and fit yourself.
  • Ive always wanted to have solar panels but missed the boat with the govt incentive.
    Too expensive to buy and fit yourself.
  • There doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to put PV on a house any longer. But what about off-grid? My friend has a narrowboat and is thinking about putting a couple of panels on the roof.
    I'm kind of sceptical given the cost of the gear: panels start at around £40 per 100Wp then there's the controller and batteries (I guess the batteries are there already).

Given that the alternatives are running the engine or a small generator it's obviously a greener option but I do wonder how long it'll be before there's anything approaching financial break-even.
  • There doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to put PV on a house any longer. But what about off-grid? My friend has a narrowboat and is thinking about putting a couple of panels on the roof.
    I'm kind of sceptical given the cost of the gear: panels start at around £40 per 100Wp then there's the controller and batteries (I guess the batteries are there already).

Given that the alternatives are running the engine or a small generator it's obviously a greener option but I do wonder how long it'll be before there's anything approaching financial break-even.
  • hi Tim
    ​I think it's a no-brainer (although I hate that phrase), it's not just about £ break even, but even if it was you would, to be fair, have to factor in all the extra time/effort/emissions/money spent for providing energy by alternative means.
    I wonder if you can get electric motor conversions for narrowboats...
    Sadly it's not a no-brainer for houses any longer..
    Quote Originally Posted by timpin View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to put PV on a house any longer. But what about off-grid? My friend has a narrowboat and is thinking about putting a couple of panels on the roof.

• hi Tim
    ​I think it's a no-brainer (although I hate that phrase), it's not just about £ break even, but even if it was you would, to be fair, have to factor in all the extra time/effort/emissions/money spent for providing energy by alternative means.
    I wonder if you can get electric motor conversions for narrowboats...
    Sadly it's not a no-brainer for houses any longer..
    Quote Originally Posted by timpin View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to put PV on a house any longer. But what about off-grid? My friend has a narrowboat and is thinking about putting a couple of panels on the roof.

• There certainly are electric driven narrowboats but I don't think you'd be able to run one from solar even if you covered the whole boat.
    I've seen a couple - one is normally charged from the mains but has an engine to run a generator if the charge level got too low, the other has a small diesel generator but everything on board is electric. I know a little bit more about the second one since I actually got a brief guided tour - they reckoned to use half the diesel of their previous boat as the genny is run only at peak efficiency and when the motor's not working it's not turning (unlike a typical narrowboat which probably spends 60% of the time running at tickover).
  • There certainly are electric driven narrowboats but I don't think you'd be able to run one from solar even if you covered the whole boat.
    I've seen a couple - one is normally charged from the mains but has an engine to run a generator if the charge level got too low, the other has a small diesel generator but everything on board is electric. I know a little bit more about the second one since I actually got a brief guided tour - they reckoned to use half the diesel of their previous boat as the genny is run only at peak efficiency and when the motor's not working it's not turning (unlike a typical narrowboat which probably spends 60% of the time running at tickover).