• IHD the best set up?

OK, so I've had my smart meter for just over a month and I've had a good play with the IHD, so what is my set up?

I don't like the energy now display as it always lags behind and the traffic lights are always red for anything above 190w, so I use the total today display as my home screen.

By setting a decent budget amount and not using the seasonal adjustment I hopefully end up with two green dots if the dots aren't green I have a quick look at the Kwh total so far to check I'm not too much over budget. Most time things catch up and I see two green dots by the end of the day.

Well that's my set up and I have now unpluged my old system and save 5w.

Is this the best setup?

X Driver
  • OK, so I've had my smart meter for just over a month and I've had a good play with the IHD, so what is my set up?

I don't like the energy now display as it always lags behind and the traffic lights are always red for anything above 190w, so I use the total today display as my home screen.

By setting a decent budget amount and not using the seasonal adjustment I hopefully end up with two green dots if the dots aren't green I have a quick look at the Kwh total so far to check I'm not too much over budget. Most time things catch up and I see two green dots by the end of the day.

Is this the best setup?

X Driver

• hi X driver (do you drive an X?)
    ​Forgetting the 5W for the moment, are you saying that having the SM has actually caused you to change your behaviour?!
    There is no best at the moment but your post is useful for others, (and irritating for those who have problems!).
    Quote Originally Posted by X Driver View Post
    OK, so I've had my smart meter for just over a month and I've had a good play with the IHD, so what is my set up?

Is this the best setup?

X Driver
  • hi X driver (do you drive an X?)
    ​Forgetting the 5W for the moment, are you saying that having the SM has actually caused you to change your behaviour?!
    There is no best at the moment but your post is useful for others, (and irritating for those who have problems!).

Is this the best setup?

X Driver

• Hi X Driver
    Glad you posted as I'm struggling with my IHD which also is in the red when over £0.02/hour and totals are also usually in the red despite entering budget details. I'm waiting for PP to come up with an explanation and a fix. I admire your attempts to get some sense out of your IHD but PP need to fix this problem which makes IHD useless! A friend has an IHD which works exactly as it should - soo annoying
  • Hi X Driver
    Glad you posted as I'm struggling with my IHD which also is in the red when over £0.02/hour and totals are also usually in the red despite entering budget details. I'm waiting for PP to come up with an explanation and a fix. I admire your attempts to get some sense out of your IHD but PP need to fix this problem which makes IHD useless! A friend has an IHD which works exactly as it should - soo annoying

• Quote Originally Posted by PaulRob View Post
    Hi X Driver

Hi PaulRob,

I had to set my budget but knock off seasonal adjustment to make it better. Even now I find that the budget averages out over the whole day so if you are temporarily ahead of average it shows as amber or red. My budget for electricity works out at about 9 units a day, when we put the washing machine on in the morning we always end up ahead and an evening meal on the cooker doesn't have as much effect as the Sunday lunch.

As for the gas, at 7am we have usually have 0.00Kwh for a value of £0.00 and predicted to be over budget!!! it's always back into the green by about 10am.

I use the dots as a quick visual reference guide and if needed have a closer look at the Kwhs.

As for fixes, I'd like the usage LED set differently as red appears to be set at a very low 190w. The problem the is you get used to ignoring the red LED when something could be drawing a lot of current, of course I could switch to the "speedo" screen but I like to keep the one screen on. As for the history screens I want to know the amounts I used yesterday, last week and last year, the bar chart whilst pretty doesn't provide the totals I need for my spread sheet.

I don't know if it is a PP setup fault or the one size fits all policy which makes it too complicated for what most people want/need and not enough information for the geeks, nerds or tight fisted people like me.

What I really want is the same display and information on the Trio 2 that I could get on my Geo Minim+ display and the totals via other menus.

I think what I am really saying is have a good play with your IHD and try and make the best of a bad job.

HTH
    X Driver

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi X driver (do you drive an X?)
    Hi Woz,

Yes, I do drive X.

The smart meter hasn't really changed my behaviour with regards to gas and electricity consumption as I've always been a tight git when it comes to spending money.

What changes are there? I can get my meter readings without opening the meter cupboard (but it won't do away with my need for a spreadsheet for analysis) and I don't have to take a second set of readings for PP (as my PP account day is not at the end of the month).

I'll still continue to play with various screens and settings and treat it as a sort of Beta test.

X Driver
  • Quote Originally Posted by PaulRob View Post
    Hi X Driver

Hi PaulRob,

I had to set my budget but knock off seasonal adjustment to make it better. Even now I find that the budget averages out over the whole day so if you are temporarily ahead of average it shows as amber or red. My budget for electricity works out at about 9 units a day, when we put the washing machine on in the morning we always end up ahead and an evening meal on the cooker doesn't have as much effect as the Sunday lunch.

As for the gas, at 7am we have usually have 0.00Kwh for a value of £0.00 and predicted to be over budget!!! it's always back into the green by about 10am.

I use the dots as a quick visual reference guide and if needed have a closer look at the Kwhs.

As for fixes, I'd like the usage LED set differently as red appears to be set at a very low 190w. The problem the is you get used to ignoring the red LED when something could be drawing a lot of current, of course I could switch to the "speedo" screen but I like to keep the one screen on. As for the history screens I want to know the amounts I used yesterday, last week and last year, the bar chart whilst pretty doesn't provide the totals I need for my spread sheet.

I don't know if it is a PP setup fault or the one size fits all policy which makes it too complicated for what most people want/need and not enough information for the geeks, nerds or tight fisted people like me.

What I really want is the same display and information on the Trio 2 that I could get on my Geo Minim+ display and the totals via other menus.

I think what I am really saying is have a good play with your IHD and try and make the best of a bad job.

HTH
    X Driver

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi X driver (do you drive an X?)
    Hi Woz,

Yes, I do drive X.

The smart meter hasn't really changed my behaviour with regards to gas and electricity consumption as I've always been a tight git when it comes to spending money.

What changes are there? I can get my meter readings without opening the meter cupboard (but it won't do away with my need for a spreadsheet for analysis) and I don't have to take a second set of readings for PP (as my PP account day is not at the end of the month).

I'll still continue to play with various screens and settings and treat it as a sort of Beta test.

X Driver

• hi Driver x
    I've already noted the (ridiculous) situation of having no option but PP setting the use thresholds which in some cases appear to be wrong anyway.I like you would like to see access to the data and more ability for manual intervention by the user. There are others on here with similar views about the data. The dumbing down to **** to minimise the number of issues that those who are either not tech savvy or simply don't care is, I agree intensely irritating to those who want more control. (The combination of tightness and nerdyness doesn't sit well with this scenario. Unfortunately you're one of those unreasonable consumers who expect technology to do what you reasonably expect it to do in other words you only have yourself to blame - that was firmly tongue in cheek by the way!)
    A point which hasn't been raised by anyone yet is whether the energy co's are even obliged to provide IHD's. (That's one for a future post)

My guess is it won't ever be possible to do what you wan't unless you can find some way of hacking the trio firmware.

I see no need for PP to set the use thresholds or at least it should be over-rideable for those who want to do their own thing. In it's current state even if you could set them the options are limited anyway.
    PP are looking at the possibility of the optional wifi module which may help some but given the current status of the trial and comms and other issues I wouldn't hold your breath....
    ​If smets2 is standard why hasn't an enterprising manufacturer produced a universal IHD yet?
    Looking on the bright side if it (smart metering) causes some consumers to question the way they use energy I suppose it has a plus side.
    Keep us informed as you play, thanks!
    Hi PaulRob,

HTH
    X Driver

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Woz,

Yes, I do drive X.

X Driver
  • hi Driver x
    I've already noted the (ridiculous) situation of having no option but PP setting the use thresholds which in some cases appear to be wrong anyway.I like you would like to see access to the data and more ability for manual intervention by the user. There are others on here with similar views about the data. The dumbing down to **** to minimise the number of issues that those who are either not tech savvy or simply don't care is, I agree intensely irritating to those who want more control. (The combination of tightness and nerdyness doesn't sit well with this scenario. Unfortunately you're one of those unreasonable consumers who expect technology to do what you reasonably expect it to do in other words you only have yourself to blame - that was firmly tongue in cheek by the way!)
    A point which hasn't been raised by anyone yet is whether the energy co's are even obliged to provide IHD's. (That's one for a future post)

My guess is it won't ever be possible to do what you wan't unless you can find some way of hacking the trio firmware.

I see no need for PP to set the use thresholds or at least it should be over-rideable for those who want to do their own thing. In it's current state even if you could set them the options are limited anyway.
    PP are looking at the possibility of the optional wifi module which may help some but given the current status of the trial and comms and other issues I wouldn't hold your breath....
    ​If smets2 is standard why hasn't an enterprising manufacturer produced a universal IHD yet?
    Looking on the bright side if it (smart metering) causes some consumers to question the way they use energy I suppose it has a plus side.
    Keep us informed as you play, thanks!
    Hi PaulRob,

HTH
    X Driver

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Woz,

Yes, I do drive X.

X Driver

• Hi woz.

The ins and outs of what can and cant be set on the IHD is a mystery to me,once i get one it will proberly be useless due to the distance from meter to where i want the IHD to be placed so that those who use but dont pay for the leccy can see it.

On the point does PP have to supply them the answer is yes PP have to supply an IHD under the terms of their license, even if they know it will end up in the skip.
  • Hi woz.

The ins and outs of what can and cant be set on the IHD is a mystery to me,once i get one it will proberly be useless due to the distance from meter to where i want the IHD to be placed so that those who use but dont pay for the leccy can see it.

On the point does PP have to supply them the answer is yes PP have to supply an IHD under the terms of their license, even if they know it will end up in the skip.

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hi woz.

Hi Jon,

As a test out the street, my IHD lost the network connection at about 100ft, I had to get near home for it to pick up the network again once I had the network I could connect to my meters at least 50ft away. So the answer maybe to have it near your meters to allow the network to connect and move it quickly to where you finally want it as it's possible the network connection is maintained for a short while by a capacitor.

It may be useful to get the fitting engineer to set up your IHD where you eventually want it and don't let them leave if it's not working.

HTH

X Driver
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hi woz.

Hi Jon,

As a test out the street, my IHD lost the network connection at about 100ft, I had to get near home for it to pick up the network again once I had the network I could connect to my meters at least 50ft away. So the answer maybe to have it near your meters to allow the network to connect and move it quickly to where you finally want it as it's possible the network connection is maintained for a short while by a capacitor.

It may be useful to get the fitting engineer to set up your IHD where you eventually want it and don't let them leave if it's not working.

HTH

X Driver