• Hi @Marc @Stephen. PLEASE HELP! Having waited for several months on the waiting list for smart meter installation, I am pleased to advise that I received a text saying I am due to get smart meter installed for both gas and electricity and that I should contact magnum utilities to arrange installation. This was arranged successfully over the phone for laster this month. Happy days. However the smart meter joy was cut short when the company rang me back to say they would have to cancel because I have a economy 7 electric meter (day and night reading/cost). Surely this should not be a problem as I have people that previously use economy 7 and now have smart meters swapped over and installed for them with no issue. Even if this should be the case, which I doubt, at least it should only affect electricity and not gas? Magnum Utilities said they would contact you to check if they can install it for me and will call me back. Still no call back! Please can you help look into this as I want my original appointment reinstated for later this month and not cancelled. I am in Daventry NN11. I will be happy to forgo the night tariff to get smart meter as my bills are rocket high at the moment and I want to be able to monitor what I use so as to reduce bills going forward. Please confirm. Thanks
  • Hi @Marc @Stephen. PLEASE HELP! Having waited for several months on the waiting list for smart meter installation, I am pleased to advise that I received a text saying I am due to get smart meter installed for both gas and electricity and that I should contact magnum utilities to arrange installation. This was arranged successfully over the phone for laster this month. Happy days. However the smart meter joy was cut short when the company rang me back to say they would have to cancel because I have a economy 7 electric meter (day and night reading/cost). Surely this should not be a problem as I have people that previously use economy 7 and now have smart meters swapped over and installed for them with no issue. Even if this should be the case, which I doubt, at least it should only affect electricity and not gas? Magnum Utilities said they would contact you to check if they can install it for me and will call me back. Still no call back! Please can you help look into this as I want my original appointment reinstated for later this month and not cancelled. I am in Daventry NN11. I will be happy to forgo the night tariff to get smart meter as my bills are rocket high at the moment and I want to be able to monitor what I use so as to reduce bills going forward. Please confirm. Thanks

• Hi @Marc PLEASE HELP! Having waited for several months on the waiting list for smart meter installation, I am pleased to advise that I received a text saying I am due to get smart meter installed for both gas and electricity and that I should contact magnum utilities to arrange installation. This was arranged successfully over the phone for laster this month. Happy days. However the smart meter joy was cut short when the company rang me back to say they would have to cancel because I have a economy 7 electric meter (day and night reading/cost). Surely this should not be a problem as I have people that previously use economy 7 and now have smart meters swapped over and installed for them with no issue. Even if this should be the case, which I doubt, at least it should only affect electricity and not gas? Magnum Utilities said they would contact you to check if they can install it for me and will call me back. Still no call back! Please can you help look into this as I want my original appointment reinstated for later this month and not cancelled. I am in Daventry NN11. I will be happy to forgo the night tariff to get smart meter as my bills are rocket high at the moment and I want to be able to monitor what I use so as to reduce bills going forward. Please confirm. Thanks
  • Hi @Marc PLEASE HELP! Having waited for several months on the waiting list for smart meter installation, I am pleased to advise that I received a text saying I am due to get smart meter installed for both gas and electricity and that I should contact magnum utilities to arrange installation. This was arranged successfully over the phone for laster this month. Happy days. However the smart meter joy was cut short when the company rang me back to say they would have to cancel because I have a economy 7 electric meter (day and night reading/cost). Surely this should not be a problem as I have people that previously use economy 7 and now have smart meters swapped over and installed for them with no issue. Even if this should be the case, which I doubt, at least it should only affect electricity and not gas? Magnum Utilities said they would contact you to check if they can install it for me and will call me back. Still no call back! Please can you help look into this as I want my original appointment reinstated for later this month and not cancelled. I am in Daventry NN11. I will be happy to forgo the night tariff to get smart meter as my bills are rocket high at the moment and I want to be able to monitor what I use so as to reduce bills going forward. Please confirm. Thanks

• Hi there
    Judging by the various threads on the topic here, a number of people are waiting for clarity about smart meters and economy 7 functionality.
    I would only add, are you sure you need a smart meter to help you work out how to reduce your energy usage? I guess it might help identify a rogue item that is using more energy than it should, but in general there is loads of advice about how to reduce your energy bills that is not dependent on a smart meter.
    Just a thought
    Stephen
  • Hi there
    Judging by the various threads on the topic here, a number of people are waiting for clarity about smart meters and economy 7 functionality.
    I would only add, are you sure you need a smart meter to help you work out how to reduce your energy usage? I guess it might help identify a rogue item that is using more energy than it should, but in general there is loads of advice about how to reduce your energy bills that is not dependent on a smart meter.
    Just a thought
    Stephen

• Hi sincerity.
    This issue has popped up more than once. Being on an E7 tariff should make no differance to the ability of having a smet2 meter fitted.

However i have a differant theory. And it is only my theory.
    Being as you currently have a smet1 smart meter, depending on make and model then at some point it will be upgraded to be smet2 compatible and therefore become smart again. As this is an ongoing upgrade programme then there is no need to rip it out and put a new one in.
    So if this is the case then maybe this explains why your not getting a new meter but that the reason behind it needs better explanation.
  • Hi sincerity.
    This issue has popped up more than once. Being on an E7 tariff should make no differance to the ability of having a smet2 meter fitted.

However i have a differant theory. And it is only my theory.
    Being as you currently have a smet1 smart meter, depending on make and model then at some point it will be upgraded to be smet2 compatible and therefore become smart again. As this is an ongoing upgrade programme then there is no need to rip it out and put a new one in.
    So if this is the case then maybe this explains why your not getting a new meter but that the reason behind it needs better explanation.

• Hi @Maexchen @Sincerity
    I've moved your posts about SMETS2 installations and Economy 7 meters to this existing thread on the same subject.
    Check out this post from by a few days ago by @Nataly
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi @Maexchen @Sincerity
    I've moved your posts about SMETS2 installations and Economy 7 meters to this existing thread on the same subject.
    Check out this post from by a few days ago by @Nataly
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi there
    Just a thought
    Stephen
    its not really about being able to reduce energy consumption in my case. It’s more about laziness, as in not having to read and submit usage. Particularly as my meter is in an inconvenient place.

I still think they should be able to install one here. I don’t even mind if I loose the E7 functionality. I’m not using it, and I doubt I ever will.
  • Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi there
    Just a thought
    Stephen
    its not really about being able to reduce energy consumption in my case. It’s more about laziness, as in not having to read and submit usage. Particularly as my meter is in an inconvenient place.

I still think they should be able to install one here. I don’t even mind if I loose the E7 functionality. I’m not using it, and I doubt I ever will.

• Hi Maexchen,

Did you click on the links provided including the one advised above by Marc as in this link
    https://community.purepla.net/thread...ll=1#post30782

​All the best
  • Hi Maexchen,

Did you click on the links provided including the one advised above by Marc as in this link
    https://community.purepla.net/thread...ll=1#post30782

​All the best

• For info, My SM is now booked for early August. Thanks to the PP team for sorting it out.
  • For info, My SM is now booked for early August. Thanks to the PP team for sorting it out.

• As I understand it Pureplanet have a single tariff and are in effect claiming this is so competitive that they don't have to charge different rates. (This maybe true.)

One of the purported benefits of smart meters - not yet available was the concept of micro tariffing whereby rather than the current day and night tariffs much smaller time slots each at different rates would be possible and this would then be also linked to realtime country wide usage demand so when demand on the national grid is very high the cost is higher and conversely when demand is low the cost would be lower. This is so far away from existing it is not yet on any ones horizon.

The whole point of Economy7 is not to necessarily provide a way for consumers to save money - although that obviously is an intent but more to even out demand between day and night.

Again one of the purported benefits of smart meters was to allow a smart home to automatically turn devices on and off at the cheapest times, for example one could run the washing machine overnight rather than during the day. This is theoretically possible now but currently tariffs do not make it worth while - especially if your with Pureplanet it seems.

On a related topic apparently the government is going to make it a requirement that all new home EV charging points have the ability to be forced to only charge overnight.
  • As I understand it Pureplanet have a single tariff and are in effect claiming this is so competitive that they don't have to charge different rates. (This maybe true.)

One of the purported benefits of smart meters - not yet available was the concept of micro tariffing whereby rather than the current day and night tariffs much smaller time slots each at different rates would be possible and this would then be also linked to realtime country wide usage demand so when demand on the national grid is very high the cost is higher and conversely when demand is low the cost would be lower. This is so far away from existing it is not yet on any ones horizon.

The whole point of Economy7 is not to necessarily provide a way for consumers to save money - although that obviously is an intent but more to even out demand between day and night.

Again one of the purported benefits of smart meters was to allow a smart home to automatically turn devices on and off at the cheapest times, for example one could run the washing machine overnight rather than during the day. This is theoretically possible now but currently tariffs do not make it worth while - especially if your with Pureplanet it seems.

On a related topic apparently the government is going to make it a requirement that all new home EV charging points have the ability to be forced to only charge overnight.