• Smart meter advice

Just moved house, really want to stay with Pure Planet but the meter in new property is extremely awkward to reach. It already had a smart meter with Scottish Power, is there anyway we can keep this for readings etc and stay with Pure Planet?
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Just moved house, really want to stay with Pure Planet but the meter in new property is extremely awkward to reach. It already had a smart meter with Scottish Power, is there anyway we can keep this for readings etc and stay with Pure Planet?
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

If the meter is 1st gen smart meter, then yes you can keep it with PP, it will just revert to a normal, take meter readings and submit, meter.
  • If the meter is 1st gen smart meter, then yes you can keep it with PP, it will just revert to a normal, take meter readings and submit, meter.

• If it is a smets1 meter there are plans to upgrade them to work with Pure Planet, but the timing is out of Pure's hands as it is the DCC that is responsible for the upgrades
  • If it is a smets1 meter there are plans to upgrade them to work with Pure Planet, but the timing is out of Pure's hands as it is the DCC that is responsible for the upgrades

• hi Nic
    not at first, it may take quite a while before PP get round to changing or updating it so that it's sending readings.
    You'll only need initial readings and once a month thereafter. Also no big deal if you miss the odd one.
    Can you reach the button and perhaps place your phone near it and get a reading?
    Failing that if you are physically unable to get readings there is always the Priority Services Register in the app for those who are unable to read the meter for accessibility reasons, although the intention is to cover those cases where a physical or metal impairment precludes the customer from getting a reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic Davis View Post
    Just moved house, really want to stay with Pure Planet but the meter in new property is extremely awkward to reach. It already had a smart meter with Scottish Power, is there anyway we can keep this for readings etc and stay with Pure Planet?
  • hi Nic
    not at first, it may take quite a while before PP get round to changing or updating it so that it's sending readings.
    You'll only need initial readings and once a month thereafter. Also no big deal if you miss the odd one.
    Can you reach the button and perhaps place your phone near it and get a reading?
    Failing that if you are physically unable to get readings there is always the Priority Services Register in the app for those who are unable to read the meter for accessibility reasons, although the intention is to cover those cases where a physical or metal impairment precludes the customer from getting a reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic Davis View Post

• Hey @Nic Davis

Just FYI I've moved this to our Smart Meters section where you'll find lots of great advice

May be worth reading some of our FAQs on whether PP can support your SMETS 1 meter or whether your SMETS 2 will work with PP.

You can absolutely stay with PP with a smart meter, it just may be in 'dumb' mode for now. As @woz said after your first reading you'd only need to submit them once a month (or every other month if you didn't mind your statements sometimes being based on estimated usage).

​hope that helps?
  • Hey @Nic Davis

Just FYI I've moved this to our Smart Meters section where you'll find lots of great advice

May be worth reading some of our FAQs on whether PP can support your SMETS 1 meter or whether your SMETS 2 will work with PP.

You can absolutely stay with PP with a smart meter, it just may be in 'dumb' mode for now. As @woz said after your first reading you'd only need to submit them once a month (or every other month if you didn't mind your statements sometimes being based on estimated usage).

​hope that helps?

• My smets1 meter installed by SSE is not currently smart, but the in home display still gives daily consumption for gas and electricity. If you navigate to meter info the current meter readings are shown - saves me going out in the rain to read the gas meter or crawl into the electric meter cupboard. Possibly other display units may retain similar features. Only the cost is not shown, just the daily Kwh readings and the current meter readings. Makes monthly readings a piece of cake😀
  • My smets1 meter installed by SSE is not currently smart, but the in home display still gives daily consumption for gas and electricity. If you navigate to meter info the current meter readings are shown - saves me going out in the rain to read the gas meter or crawl into the electric meter cupboard. Possibly other display units may retain similar features. Only the cost is not shown, just the daily Kwh readings and the current meter readings. Makes monthly readings a piece of cake😀

• hi Dadioglasgow
    a couple of points,
    You can't rely on the figures on the IHD for meter readings, they might be OK, most of the time when people switch they don't work at all, , maybe some continue to work? I wouldn't rely on them though.
    and
    ​You cant take the gas reading off the IHD because it needs to be submitted in cubic metres not in kWh. That need to come from the meter so you may as well read both..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadioglasgow View Post
    My smets1 meter installed by SSE is not currently smart, but the in home display still gives daily consumption for gas and electricity. If you navigate to meter info the current meter readings are shown - saves me going out in the rain to read the gas meter or crawl into the electric meter cupboard. Possibly other display units may retain similar features. Only the cost is not shown, just the daily Kwh readings and the current meter readings. Makes monthly readings a piece of cake������
  • hi Dadioglasgow
    a couple of points,
    You can't rely on the figures on the IHD for meter readings, they might be OK, most of the time when people switch they don't work at all, , maybe some continue to work? I wouldn't rely on them though.
    and
    ​You cant take the gas reading off the IHD because it needs to be submitted in cubic metres not in kWh. That need to come from the meter so you may as well read both..
    My smets1 meter installed by SSE is not currently smart, but the in home display still gives daily consumption for gas and electricity. If you navigate to meter info the current meter readings are shown - saves me going out in the rain to read the gas meter or crawl into the electric meter cupboard. Possibly other display units may retain similar features. Only the cost is not shown, just the daily Kwh readings and the current meter readings. Makes monthly readings a piece of cake������

• Just to clarify a couple of points... I have checked the readings on the IHD against the meter on several occasions and they have always agreed exactly. In my case, the electricity reading is updated every 7 minutes and the gas every half hour. Although the main display shows usage in Kwh for both gas and electricity, the 'meter info' section gives electricity in Kwh and gas in m3 - the conversion to Kwh for gas is done by the energy company on the basis of the Calorific value and conversion factor.

I had initially assumed that my IHD was pretty useless, but it does give quite a lot of info - I can get daily, weekly, monthly Kwh consumption figures as well as readings. Maybe I am lucky, but it might be worth others with 'dumb' smart meters checking if their IHD still gives useful info.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as a follow-up to my last post, attached some photos of what the display is still capable of... Hopefully of use to others.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
  • Just to clarify a couple of points... I have checked the readings on the IHD against the meter on several occasions and they have always agreed exactly. In my case, the electricity reading is updated every 7 minutes and the gas every half hour. Although the main display shows usage in Kwh for both gas and electricity, the 'meter info' section gives electricity in Kwh and gas in m3 - the conversion to Kwh for gas is done by the energy company on the basis of the Calorific value and conversion factor.

I had initially assumed that my IHD was pretty useless, but it does give quite a lot of info - I can get daily, weekly, monthly Kwh consumption figures as well as readings. Maybe I am lucky, but it might be worth others with 'dumb' smart meters checking if their IHD still gives useful info.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as a follow-up to my last post, attached some photos of what the display is still capable of... Hopefully of use to others.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

• hi Dadioglasgow
    Apologies for my incorrect advice in your case, and thanks for clarifying, I suspect there are more that don't work than do, but if it works then fine.
    There were some instances of people submitting kWh from their IHDS's for gas which is why I made the point of saying it should be in cu.m. and I'm not sure if all IHD's give cu.m readings, although I can't see why they shouldn't.
    I don't have a smart meter I was just going by my previous experience in the community.
    Just to clarify a couple of points... I have checked the readings on the IHD against the meter on several occasions and they have always agreed exactly. In my case, the electricity reading is updated every 7 minutes and the gas every half hour. Although the main display shows usage in Kwh for both gas and electricity, the 'meter info' section gives electricity in Kwh and gas in m3 - the conversion to Kwh for gas is done by the energy company on the basis of the Calorific value and conversion factor.

- - - Updated - - -

• hi Dadioglasgow
    Apologies for my incorrect advice in your case, and thanks for clarifying, I suspect there are more that don't work than do, but if it works then fine.
    There were some instances of people submitting kWh from their IHDS's for gas which is why I made the point of saying it should be in cu.m. and I'm not sure if all IHD's give cu.m readings, although I can't see why they shouldn't.
    I don't have a smart meter I was just going by my previous experience in the community.
    Just to clarify a couple of points... I have checked the readings on the IHD against the meter on several occasions and they have always agreed exactly. In my case, the electricity reading is updated every 7 minutes and the gas every half hour. Although the main display shows usage in Kwh for both gas and electricity, the 'meter info' section gives electricity in Kwh and gas in m3 - the conversion to Kwh for gas is done by the energy company on the basis of the Calorific value and conversion factor.

- - - Updated - - -

• Hi Dadioglasgow,

Wow.....that's a really great IHD unit that you have there

I also have a 1st gen smart meter fitted.....however my IHD is not as advanced as the one that you have, and only ever gave "basic" information. Definitely no meter readings available via the IHD. Just goes to show the difference in quality that you get, dependent on who supplies/fits the Smart Meters. I wonder if the IHD's will be "upgraded" when the gen 1 meters receive their software upgrade. Somehow I doubt it.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Dadioglasgow,

Wow.....that's a really great IHD unit that you have there

I also have a 1st gen smart meter fitted.....however my IHD is not as advanced as the one that you have, and only ever gave "basic" information. Definitely no meter readings available via the IHD. Just goes to show the difference in quality that you get, dependent on who supplies/fits the Smart Meters. I wonder if the IHD's will be "upgraded" when the gen 1 meters receive their software upgrade. Somehow I doubt it.
    Gray4276