• Faulty Electricity Meter

I have just taken my usual monthly meter readings and was horrified to find that my electricity reading was approx 550 units consumed rather than the standard 240 -250 units summer or winter. This in spite of the fact the House was unoccupied for 10 days whilst I and my wife were on holiday. My gas metre was correct and reflected the low usage I would expect for a summer month and the house being unoccupied for 10 days.

If we continue to consume this rate of electricity on an ongoing basis it would add £500 per year to my fuel costs!

I am curious as to wether amyone else has experienced what seems to be a faulty metre and what can be done to rectify the problem!
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I have just taken my usual monthly meter readings and was horrified to find that my electricity reading was approx 550 units consumed rather than the standard 240 -250 units summer or winter. This in spite of the fact the House was unoccupied for 10 days whilst I and my wife were on holiday. My gas metre was correct and reflected the low usage I would expect for a summer month and the house being unoccupied for 10 days.

If we continue to consume this rate of electricity on an ongoing basis it would add £500 per year to my fuel costs!

I am curious as to wether amyone else has experienced what seems to be a faulty metre and what can be done to rectify the problem!
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hi Jon - thanks or your reply. I was really mystified why our usage was so unusually high. After further investigation I discovered that an electric heater had been inadvertently left on in our loft room (which had not been used for a while) for a prolonged period of time! by prolonged I mean at least 3 weeks! We suspect one of our grandchildren may have been the culprit! So no faulty meter which is a relief but a very costly oversight on our part!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Nataly but the reason for our high meter reasons was not by way of a faulty meter it transpired!
    Please see my reply to Jon1.
  • Hi Jon - thanks or your reply. I was really mystified why our usage was so unusually high. After further investigation I discovered that an electric heater had been inadvertently left on in our loft room (which had not been used for a while) for a prolonged period of time! by prolonged I mean at least 3 weeks! We suspect one of our grandchildren may have been the culprit! So no faulty meter which is a relief but a very costly oversight on our part!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Nataly but the reason for our high meter reasons was not by way of a faulty meter it transpired!
    Please see my reply to Jon1.

• Hi Gazza

Certainly looks like something may have gone wrong. When people post something like this, the usual advice is to first check the meter yourself as much as you can. Can you switch everything off and check it is not recording anything?

I'm sure others will respond with more advice...

Stephen
  • Hi Gazza

Certainly looks like something may have gone wrong. When people post something like this, the usual advice is to first check the meter yourself as much as you can. Can you switch everything off and check it is not recording anything?

Stephen

• Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi Gazza

Stephen
    Thanks Stephen
    Yes took a reading before retiring last night when all appliances were switched off and then again this morning and the meter had moved 10 units! Our average daily consumption is 8/9 units per day so yes meter appears to be faulty. Have reported it now and am awaiting a response from the Pure Planet customer relations team. I am keeping a photo log of daily readings now to assist how they might investigate and test the meter,

Thanks for your reply once again
  • Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi Gazza

Stephen
    Thanks Stephen
    Yes took a reading before retiring last night when all appliances were switched off and then again this morning and the meter had moved 10 units! Our average daily consumption is 8/9 units per day so yes meter appears to be faulty. Have reported it now and am awaiting a response from the Pure Planet customer relations team. I am keeping a photo log of daily readings now to assist how they might investigate and test the meter,

Thanks for your reply once again

• Hello gazza19.
    That indeed points towards something being faulty. Might also be worth cheaking some of the things that were not switched off overnight. Just to rule out it being a faulty appliance, freezers, immersion heater, that sort of thing.
  • Hello gazza19.
    That indeed points towards something being faulty. Might also be worth cheaking some of the things that were not switched off overnight. Just to rule out it being a faulty appliance, freezers, immersion heater, that sort of thing.

• Hey @Gazza19

Is your meter still showing signs of being faulty?

Good suggestion by @Jon1
  • Hey @Gazza19

Is your meter still showing signs of being faulty?

Good suggestion by @Jon1

• Hi gazza19.
    Kids ha but you gotta love em.
    Looking on the bright side, if you had not checked and got a sparky out who found the cause it would of cost an extra 250 notes.
    Glad your all sorted and thanks for letting the community know.
    We are a weird bunch but we care.
  • Hi gazza19.
    Kids ha but you gotta love em.
    Looking on the bright side, if you had not checked and got a sparky out who found the cause it would of cost an extra 250 notes.
    Glad your all sorted and thanks for letting the community know.
    We are a weird bunch but we care.