• ha - You'll never be able to find anything again if you tidy it!!!
    Emojis should place where the cursor is, sometimes it throws a formatting wobbly, there is a remove format button second in from lhs, highlight section and remove formatting may help (or not...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    No such thing as a stupid question in my book @woz, so definitely no apologies needed. In fact I'll have to ask Tom because I don't know how he did it either! I'll message him and get back to you.

For the record, I still don't know how @Bev gets her emojis in-line - when I tried it came out at the beginning of the text!

In the meantime I'm off to tidy the garage and post a photo so I can pretend it's always like that...

:-)
  • ha - You'll never be able to find anything again if you tidy it!!!
    Emojis should place where the cursor is, sometimes it throws a formatting wobbly, there is a remove format button second in from lhs, highlight section and remove formatting may help (or not...)
    No such thing as a stupid question in my book @woz, so definitely no apologies needed. In fact I'll have to ask Tom because I don't know how he did it either! I'll message him and get back to you.

For the record, I still don't know how @Bev gets her emojis in-line - when I tried it came out at the beginning of the text!

In the meantime I'm off to tidy the garage and post a photo so I can pretend it's always like that...

:-)
  • hmmm, I wondered about that, it looked like the replacement piece overlapped which is why I asked. I can only assume that the excess is cut out with the welding torch?
    I've never done welding, (have done lots of soldering though) it's one of a list of jobs where I'd probably kill myself inadvertently, like chainsawing and riding a motorcycle (not at the same time...mind you that sounds like the germ of an idea...)
    As I said, not at all stupid as I had to ask myself, so here beginneth the welding lesson from Tom. The diagramme below shows the various types of welding join. Tom uses butt welds for body panels so they can be ground smooth. It's best if you can reach the other side and repeat. Then you can grind down excess weld on both sides and shape further with hammer and dolly. However, this is often not possible due to access problems. Finally filler and a lot of patience is required!
  • hmmm, I wondered about that, it looked like the replacement piece overlapped which is why I asked. I can only assume that the excess is cut out with the welding torch?
    I've never done welding, (have done lots of soldering though) it's one of a list of jobs where I'd probably kill myself inadvertently, like chainsawing and riding a motorcycle (not at the same time...mind you that sounds like the germ of an idea...)
    As I said, not at all stupid as I had to ask myself, so here beginneth the welding lesson from Tom. The diagramme below shows the various types of welding join. Tom uses butt welds for body panels so they can be ground smooth. It's best if you can reach the other side and repeat. Then you can grind down excess weld on both sides and shape further with hammer and dolly. However, this is often not possible due to access problems. Finally filler and a lot of patience is required!
  • And here's one of me trying to take credit for all Tom's hard work. I am SO proud of his skill, ingenuity, patience and perseverance!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  • And here's one of me trying to take credit for all Tom's hard work. I am SO proud of his skill, ingenuity, patience and perseverance!
  • Look - no engine - (yet)!
  • Look - no engine - (yet)!
  • Fascinating project Lenny.

Being steel (& filler) it'll be a pretty heavy EV vehicle. What are the plans re. batteries and powertrain donor car? Tesla or Leaf?
  • Fascinating project Lenny.

Being steel (& filler) it'll be a pretty heavy EV vehicle. What are the plans re. batteries and powertrain donor car? Tesla or Leaf?
  • I had the opportunity to meet a company that converts classic cars at the recent Fully Charged Live show. I had a look at their web site before attending and it appeared the major components needed (electric motor, controller, wiring loom, dashboard gauge and ex-Tesla batteries) could be had for around £8,000. They also seemed prepared to supply individuals wishing to do their own conversions.

However, when I spoke to them at the show, they were now quoting £25,000 for a complete set of parts for a Karmann Ghia and were reluctant (for understandable safety reasons) to supply to individuals.

This is clearly not a realistic cost, so I will have to put this project on hold until there is greater competition in the classic car conversion market and prices drop considerably.

On the plus side, I did tidy the garage to a state that even @woz would approve!
  • I had the opportunity to meet a company that converts classic cars at the recent Fully Charged Live show. I had a look at their web site before attending and it appeared the major components needed (electric motor, controller, wiring loom, dashboard gauge and ex-Tesla batteries) could be had for around £8,000. They also seemed prepared to supply individuals wishing to do their own conversions.

However, when I spoke to them at the show, they were now quoting £25,000 for a complete set of parts for a Karmann Ghia and were reluctant (for understandable safety reasons) to supply to individuals.

This is clearly not a realistic cost, so I will have to put this project on hold until there is greater competition in the classic car conversion market and prices drop considerably.

On the plus side, I did tidy the garage to a state that even @woz would approve!
  • hi Lenny
    haha, me and my mouth again... You do realise that having tidied it you'll never be able to find anything you need...
    well...
    that's a blow, at those sort of prices it's a no go, but opportunity will come as more vehicles become available, and lets face it you could almost buy a new small electric vehicle for that sort of money. I wonder what happens to crashed or write-off vehicles.
    I'm thinking the scrapheap challenge approach may well be needed here, on the other hand, have you seen THIS late edit and THIS

I had the opportunity to meet a company that converts classic cars at the recent Fully Charged Live show. I had a look at their web site before attending and it appeared the major components needed (electric motor, controller, wiring loom, dashboard gauge and ex-Tesla batteries) could be had for around £8,000. They also seemed prepared to supply individuals wishing to do their own conversions.

Last edited by woz; 19-06-19 at 22:39. Reason: and another thing..
  • hi Lenny
    haha, me and my mouth again... You do realise that having tidied it you'll never be able to find anything you need...
    well...
    that's a blow, at those sort of prices it's a no go, but opportunity will come as more vehicles become available, and lets face it you could almost buy a new small electric vehicle for that sort of money. I wonder what happens to crashed or write-off vehicles.
    I'm thinking the scrapheap challenge approach may well be needed here, on the other hand, have you seen THIS late edit and THIS

I had the opportunity to meet a company that converts classic cars at the recent Fully Charged Live show. I had a look at their web site before attending and it appeared the major components needed (electric motor, controller, wiring loom, dashboard gauge and ex-Tesla batteries) could be had for around £8,000. They also seemed prepared to supply individuals wishing to do their own conversions.

• Hello @woz,

You are right about the price of a new EV. I test drove a Smart ForFour recently and really liked it. OTR price was £18,000 and they even had a pre-registered car for £16,000. Makes no sense whatsoever of the prices I was quoted at the show for a very basic kit of parts. Competition will bring prices down, along with an increasing number of EV's that will be scrapped in the future. It's just a waiting game for now.

In the meantime everything has a place and everything is in its place (for now anyway)!
  • Hello @woz,

You are right about the price of a new EV. I test drove a Smart ForFour recently and really liked it. OTR price was £18,000 and they even had a pre-registered car for £16,000. Makes no sense whatsoever of the prices I was quoted at the show for a very basic kit of parts. Competition will bring prices down, along with an increasing number of EV's that will be scrapped in the future. It's just a waiting game for now.

In the meantime everything has a place and everything is in its place (for now anyway)!
  • Impressive!
    ​Did you look at the links?
    Also a question, presumably when converted to an EV itmust then run on a dual voltage system, high V for the drivetrain and 12V for the legacy bits lighting, wipers etc. Does that mean you need 2 inverters? If you retained a 12V battery (aka large capacitor) you'd need to charge it.
  • Impressive!
    Also a question, presumably when converted to an EV itmust then run on a dual voltage system, high V for the drivetrain and 12V for the legacy bits lighting, wipers etc. Does that mean you need 2 inverters? If you retained a 12V battery (aka large capacitor) you'd need to charge it.
  • Wowsa! Impressively tidy Lenny! 🙀👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Wowsa! Impressively tidy Lenny! 🙀👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Impressive!

Thanks for the links @woz - I'd seen the company in Somerset, but not the one in the USA. Interesting that we are still at the stage where there is a debate about whether AC or DC motors are best. When you also consider the range of charging arrangements and myriad of apps you need to have just to re-charge, it all feels a bit like the VHS/Betamax days (and I had Video 2000 recorder - who remembers that format?).

I'm content to let the dust settle a bit before making such a major investment.

On a slightly different note I have also been looking at the Nissan e-NV200 van as a possible campervan conversion. It also has a separate 12v battery for the legacy items, so it's not just the conversions that have this arrangement. The 12v battery is kept topped up from the main motor battery, so there must be some sort of conversion to enable this to happen.
    Last edited by Lenny; 20-06-19 at 14:40.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Impressive!

Thanks for the links @woz - I'd seen the company in Somerset, but not the one in the USA. Interesting that we are still at the stage where there is a debate about whether AC or DC motors are best. When you also consider the range of charging arrangements and myriad of apps you need to have just to re-charge, it all feels a bit like the VHS/Betamax days (and I had Video 2000 recorder - who remembers that format?).

I'm content to let the dust settle a bit before making such a major investment.

On a slightly different note I have also been looking at the Nissan e-NV200 van as a possible campervan conversion. It also has a separate 12v battery for the legacy items, so it's not just the conversions that have this arrangement. The 12v battery is kept topped up from the main motor battery, so there must be some sort of conversion to enable this to happen.