• Your top 3 favourite films

Sometimes there’s nothing better than settling down with a good film to whisk you away for a few hours.

What would be your top 3 favourite films and why? Which of those is an absolute must-see?
    Maybe you can convert other Community members into fans of your fav's

Name:  cinema-food-movie-theater-33129.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  2.96 MB

And, vital to watching any film, what’s the best movie night snack?
  • Sometimes there’s nothing better than settling down with a good film to whisk you away for a few hours.

What would be your top 3 favourite films and why? Which of those is an absolute must-see?
    Maybe you can convert other Community members into fans of your fav's

Name:  cinema-food-movie-theater-33129.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  2.96 MB

And, vital to watching any film, what’s the best movie night snack?
  • In no particular order ;

Hand that Rocks the Cradle - can watch this superb film numerous times and still it keeps me on the edge of my seat. For me, a film has to be gripping from the start, else I soon start drifting away and doing something else. This has me gripped every time, absolutely fantastic film, and still makes me jump out my skin 👍👏👏👏👏👏🙀.

Whistle Down The Wind - for me, Hayley Mills is an absolute legend 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏, adore all her films, but especially those she made as a child. She followed in her father, Johns, shoes soooo naturally, and this particular film (based on a novel written by her mum) has to be my fave of hers 👍👍👍. The wonderful childhood innocence throughout is just heart warming. A gorgeous, charming B and W 🎬to sit down to on a rainy cold afternoon 💕👍📺

(You know what’s coming 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂)...The Railway Children - the original 1970 with the wonderful Jenny Agutter as Roberta, and Sally Thomsett as Phylis. Bernard Cribbins is beyond adorable in this. This is my ultimate idyllic film to watch again and again and again. It truly captures idyllic childhood and English countryside back in Edwardian times and brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye every single time.

I want to include Haatchi 🐾🐕💕😢😢😢😢, Chitty, Wizard of Oz, and soooo many cosy classics, but can only choose three, so went with the above 👍👏🎬.

Snacks with a film, no. That’s why loathe the cinema 🙄🙄🙄🍿🍿🍿🍫🍫🍫🍡🍦, all the rustling and chomping 🤫🤫🤫🤫😡😡😡😡🙄🙄🙄😂!

Great thread, Nat 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • In no particular order ;

Hand that Rocks the Cradle - can watch this superb film numerous times and still it keeps me on the edge of my seat. For me, a film has to be gripping from the start, else I soon start drifting away and doing something else. This has me gripped every time, absolutely fantastic film, and still makes me jump out my skin 👍👏👏👏👏👏🙀.

Whistle Down The Wind - for me, Hayley Mills is an absolute legend 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏, adore all her films, but especially those she made as a child. She followed in her father, Johns, shoes soooo naturally, and this particular film (based on a novel written by her mum) has to be my fave of hers 👍👍👍. The wonderful childhood innocence throughout is just heart warming. A gorgeous, charming B and W 🎬to sit down to on a rainy cold afternoon 💕👍📺

(You know what’s coming 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂)...The Railway Children - the original 1970 with the wonderful Jenny Agutter as Roberta, and Sally Thomsett as Phylis. Bernard Cribbins is beyond adorable in this. This is my ultimate idyllic film to watch again and again and again. It truly captures idyllic childhood and English countryside back in Edwardian times and brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye every single time.

I want to include Haatchi 🐾🐕💕😢😢😢😢, Chitty, Wizard of Oz, and soooo many cosy classics, but can only choose three, so went with the above 👍👏🎬.

Snacks with a film, no. That’s why loathe the cinema 🙄🙄🙄🍿🍿🍿🍫🍫🍫🍡🍦, all the rustling and chomping 🤫🤫🤫🤫😡😡😡😡🙄🙄🙄😂!

Great thread, Nat 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • One Flew over the cookoo's nest
    Outlaw Josie wales
    Napoleon Dynamite
  • One Flew over the cookoo's nest
    Outlaw Josie wales
    Napoleon Dynamite
  • Only 3?

Not fair, how am I supposed to narrow it to 3?

Okay, I'll give it a go, although you may find some 'close seconds'

1: 'Late Spring' - (Close second: 'An Autumn Afternoon')
    I suppose you are either into Japanese post-war movies, or you aren't. I am, and in particular, I love pretty much anything by Yasujiro Ozu - he has such a wonderful way of looking at how post-war Japan was changing.

2: 'Akira' - (Close second: 'Koyaanisqatsi')
    The post Apocalyptic world, as imaged by Japan's illustrators.

How we're really going to get there if we don't start changing things for the better, 'Koyaanisqatsi' is worth watching just for Phillip Glass' haunting soundtrack.

3: 'The Infernal Affairs' series (in particular, I'm talking about the box set where they put it in chronological order).

Martin Scorsese remade this (badly in my opinion) and won an Oscar for the trouble.

There you go.
    Me.

• Only 3?

Not fair, how am I supposed to narrow it to 3?

Okay, I'll give it a go, although you may find some 'close seconds'

1: 'Late Spring' - (Close second: 'An Autumn Afternoon')
    I suppose you are either into Japanese post-war movies, or you aren't. I am, and in particular, I love pretty much anything by Yasujiro Ozu - he has such a wonderful way of looking at how post-war Japan was changing.

2: 'Akira' - (Close second: 'Koyaanisqatsi')
    The post Apocalyptic world, as imaged by Japan's illustrators.

How we're really going to get there if we don't start changing things for the better, 'Koyaanisqatsi' is worth watching just for Phillip Glass' haunting soundtrack.

3: 'The Infernal Affairs' series (in particular, I'm talking about the box set where they put it in chronological order).

Martin Scorsese remade this (badly in my opinion) and won an Oscar for the trouble.

There you go.
    Me.

• 1. Star Wars
    2. The Empire Strikes back
    3. Return of the Jedi

Anyone who disagrees with be force choked and / or cut in half 😂
  • 1. Star Wars
    3. Return of the Jedi

Anyone who disagrees with be force choked and / or cut in half 😂
  • That's a deal then, it would be preferable to having to watch them...
    ​(HaHa - Sorry that was uncalled for - I just don't get Star Wars)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    1. Star Wars
    3. Return of the Jedi

Anyone who disagrees with be force choked and / or cut in half ������
  • That's a deal then, it would be preferable to having to watch them...
    1. Star Wars
    3. Return of the Jedi

Anyone who disagrees with be force choked and / or cut in half ������
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    That's a deal then, it would be preferable to having to watch them...
    I find youe lack of faith disturbing....

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    That's a deal then, it would be preferable to having to watch them...

• haha, me too..(although it's not lacking just displaced...)

• haha, me too..(although it's not lacking just displaced...)

• Favourites (not objectively best, just my personal faves)

1. Star Wars IV: A New Hope - Released a few years before I was born, but saw this as a kid and thought it just about had everything a space adventure needed, and then some. Then to realise over the course of my teens that it was effectively the downtrodden vs. the Space Nazis, lent itself to my personal politics quite well.

2. American Beauty - A sublime modern parable for the futility of both the American Dream and American normalcy. Sad, happy, tragic, beautiful. Perfect acting, perfect writing, perfect narrative, damn near-perfect film.

3. Arrival - Denis Villeneuve is a master, frankly. Probably my favourite Director currently working. He made a quiet film about life and love and time and language and trust and unity and aliens, and made it perfect. Actually perfect.
  • Favourites (not objectively best, just my personal faves)

1. Star Wars IV: A New Hope - Released a few years before I was born, but saw this as a kid and thought it just about had everything a space adventure needed, and then some. Then to realise over the course of my teens that it was effectively the downtrodden vs. the Space Nazis, lent itself to my personal politics quite well.

2. American Beauty - A sublime modern parable for the futility of both the American Dream and American normalcy. Sad, happy, tragic, beautiful. Perfect acting, perfect writing, perfect narrative, damn near-perfect film.

3. Arrival - Denis Villeneuve is a master, frankly. Probably my favourite Director currently working. He made a quiet film about life and love and time and language and trust and unity and aliens, and made it perfect. Actually perfect.
  • Sleepers.
    A dark and grafic story of growing up in hells kitchen,

Bourne trilogy.
    Matt demon as the action hero who just wants his life back and to live in peace and quiet.

Star trek movies.
    New ones by JJ. We all dream of a life in space.
  • Sleepers.
    A dark and grafic story of growing up in hells kitchen,

Bourne trilogy.
    Matt demon as the action hero who just wants his life back and to live in peace and quiet.

Star trek movies.
    New ones by JJ. We all dream of a life in space.
  • sleepers - dark indeed!
  • sleepers - dark indeed!
  • Yes "dark" is one way to describe it. Without going into details as im sure some would be horrified. But is it a true story??? i always felt it must be afterall new york state went to great lengths to deny it ever happened.
  • Yes "dark" is one way to describe it. Without going into details as im sure some would be horrified. But is it a true story??? i always felt it must be afterall new york state went to great lengths to deny it ever happened.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Yes "dark" is one way to describe it. Without going into details as im sure some would be horrified. But is it a true story, i always feel it must be afterall new york state have denied it ever happened.
    I'm not sure I could watch it these days. It was a long time ago I saw it
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Yes "dark" is one way to describe it. Without going into details as im sure some would be horrified. But is it a true story, i always feel it must be afterall new york state have denied it ever happened.
    I'm not sure I could watch it these days. It was a long time ago I saw it
  • Truly a film which was and still is disturbing due to the story line, however within the current hollywood climate i dont think its a film that would be made now for fear of reprissal and allergations.
  • Truly a film which was and still is disturbing due to the story line, however within the current hollywood climate i dont think its a film that would be made now for fear of reprissal and allergations.
  • Off the top of my head right now:

Shawshank
    Usual Suspects
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s nest

I will probably change my mind in ten minutes 😂😂😂😂
  • Off the top of my head right now:

Shawshank
    Usual Suspects
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s nest

I will probably change my mind in ten minutes 😂😂😂😂
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    1. Star Wars 2. The Empire Strikes back 3. Return of the Jedi Anyone who disagrees with be force choked and / or cut in half 😂
    for anyone who doesn't know Vader, that probs sounds pretty scary....

I have the same issue as @David j - my 'favourites' change all the time.

Think mine would be (for now...)

1) The Return of the King (or any LOTR, really). I went through a phase when I watched this at least once a month. Great memories of doing a LOTR marathon with friends, watching (extended edition) all three films in one go - that was about 11 1/2 hours.

2) A Knight's Tale - I don't want to even think how many times I've watched this film. A great one for when you want to smile and not take the world too seriously - and of course starring the late Heath Ledger

3) A Beautiful Mind. Straight up amazing acting, only watch it one in a while so it doesn't lose the magic.

There are a tonne of films I've seen a ridiculous number of times though - mostly silly ones, like Anchorman, Zoolander and any romcom you can think of. The films my friends and I always go back to

Interesting to see some Star Wars vs Star Trek film favourites appear...
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    1. Star Wars 2. The Empire Strikes back 3. Return of the Jedi Anyone who disagrees with be force choked and / or cut in half 😂

1) The Return of the King (or any LOTR, really). I went through a phase when I watched this at least once a month. Great memories of doing a LOTR marathon with friends, watching (extended edition) all three films in one go - that was about 11 1/2 hours.

2) A Knight's Tale - I don't want to even think how many times I've watched this film. A great one for when you want to smile and not take the world too seriously - and of course starring the late Heath Ledger

3) A Beautiful Mind. Straight up amazing acting, only watch it one in a while so it doesn't lose the magic.

There are a tonne of films I've seen a ridiculous number of times though - mostly silly ones, like Anchorman, Zoolander and any romcom you can think of. The films my friends and I always go back to

• You’ll probably enjoy The Fisher King and Cinema Paradiso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post

• You’ll probably enjoy The Fisher King and Cinema Paradiso.

• Funny you should say that...
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    You’ll probably enjoy The Fisher King and Cinema Paradiso.
    Ho studiato 'Cinema Paradiso' all'università (come parte della mia laurea in lingue straniere). Quindi buona raccomandazione @woz!

If you're a fan of foreign language films I'd also really recommend Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish). I find it quite creepy to this day but it's a great tale.
    (not a film) but I also really recommend Money Heist (also known as La Casa De Papel) on Netflix - amazing, clever show with more twists and turns than imaginable!
  • Funny you should say that...
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    You’ll probably enjoy The Fisher King and Cinema Paradiso.
    Ho studiato 'Cinema Paradiso' all'università (come parte della mia laurea in lingue straniere). Quindi buona raccomandazione @woz!

If you're a fan of foreign language films I'd also really recommend Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish). I find it quite creepy to this day but it's a great tale.
    (not a film) but I also really recommend Money Heist (also known as La Casa De Papel) on Netflix - amazing, clever show with more twists and turns than imaginable!
  • Bella scelta!
    ​Spero che ti sia piaciuto come un film prima di portarlo al "operativo teatro " (scusa il gioco di parole)

ha -not sure the pun translates well...

Funny you should say that...

• Bella scelta!
    ​Spero che ti sia piaciuto come un film prima di portarlo al "operativo teatro " (scusa il gioco di parole)

ha -not sure the pun translates well...

Funny you should say that...

• 1) Dracula with Gary Old man
    2) Dracula Untold with Luke Evans
    3) Dracula 2000 with Gerard Butler.

I think there's a theme going here!

I have so many favourite films it's hard to name only 3, but any vampire film I love.
  • 1) Dracula with Gary Old man
    2) Dracula Untold with Luke Evans
    3) Dracula 2000 with Gerard Butler.

I think there's a theme going here!

I have so many favourite films it's hard to name only 3, but any vampire film I love.