• I'm sorry, this really gets on my nerves.

https://community.purepla.net/conten...mean#ckb_start

'You receive a monthly statement on the anniversary of your switch date.'

'Anniversary' means 'annually' so you also received 'monthly statements' on the other months which aren't the 'anniversary of your switch date'

Now I know, 'luniversary' and 'monthiversary' never caught on, but that still doesn't make this correct.

• https://community.purepla.net/conten...mean#ckb_start

'You receive a monthly statement on the anniversary of your switch date.'

'Anniversary' means 'annually' so you also received 'monthly statements' on the other months which aren't the 'anniversary of your switch date'

Now I know, 'luniversary' and 'monthiversary' never caught on, but that still doesn't make this correct.

• Hi @Gwyndy
    Haha this is an interesting post!
    I've moved it to our 'off topic' section. Can you suggest a different/better word?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi @Gwyndy
    Haha this is an interesting post!
    I've moved it to our 'off topic' section. Can you suggest a different/better word?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• I'm working on it, the problem is, so far as I'm aware, there's no 'accepted' term - which considering how many things are on monthly statements/contracts is a bit odd.

My current thinking is could be changed to something like:
    'You receive a statement on the monthly recurrence of your switch date.'

or

'You receive a statement each month on the repetition of your switch date'
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 03-06-19 at 13:39.
  • I'm working on it, the problem is, so far as I'm aware, there's no 'accepted' term - which considering how many things are on monthly statements/contracts is a bit odd.

My current thinking is could be changed to something like:
    'You receive a statement on the monthly recurrence of your switch date.'

or

'You receive a statement each month on the repetition of your switch date'
  • Good point Gwyndy
    @Marc, I'm now very confused. Should I have received some sort of different statement a year after I joined? (I just looked and I can't see any difference compared to previous statements on the statement received at that time. Am I missing an Anniversary statement?
    If not then what is the purpose of the sentence?
    Can you clarify what it's supposed to convey?

I assumed the original sentence implied that the monthly statement received at the Anniversary of my switching date would always tell me if I was on track or needed to review my payments for the year. Since there were no changes to mine, and I had received a "review" email about 2 weeks previously I was surprised that there was no annual review on the statement but accepted that as all was well it wasn't necessary

Before I submit a sentence (I can't say I'm keen on either of the suggestions so far - sorry), I'd like to know what the intention of the original sentence is.
    Last edited by woz; 03-06-19 at 14:40.
  • Good point Gwyndy
    @Marc, I'm now very confused. Should I have received some sort of different statement a year after I joined? (I just looked and I can't see any difference compared to previous statements on the statement received at that time. Am I missing an Anniversary statement?
    If not then what is the purpose of the sentence?
    Can you clarify what it's supposed to convey?

I assumed the original sentence implied that the monthly statement received at the Anniversary of my switching date would always tell me if I was on track or needed to review my payments for the year. Since there were no changes to mine, and I had received a "review" email about 2 weeks previously I was surprised that there was no annual review on the statement but accepted that as all was well it wasn't necessary

Before I submit a sentence (I can't say I'm keen on either of the suggestions so far - sorry), I'd like to know what the intention of the original sentence is.
  • It’s to let you know that the date you receive your monthly statement on, matches the date on which you joined. Simples.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • It’s to let you know that the date you receive your monthly statement on, matches the date on which you joined. Simples.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Well I wasn't confused before, I just thought I'd receive a monthly statement at the the anniversary of my switch date, and that's what happened.
    Superfluous, but as asked, what was the intent of the sentence? There must be a further intent to do with the annual review, my understanding was that at the one year point the DD figure would be reviewed and where necessary, amendments made.
  • Well I wasn't confused before, I just thought I'd receive a monthly statement at the the anniversary of my switch date, and that's what happened.
    Superfluous, but as asked, what was the intent of the sentence? There must be a further intent to do with the annual review, my understanding was that at the one year point the DD figure would be reviewed and where necessary, amendments made.
  • Think you’re overthinking it our Wozeeta.

Yes the word anniversary confuses it, but it’s purely meaning you’ll get a monthly statement on the same monthly date as the date you joined.

So you and I joined on 1st so our monthly statement thereafter, will always be on the first of every month 👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • Think you’re overthinking it our Wozeeta.

Yes the word anniversary confuses it, but it’s purely meaning you’ll get a monthly statement on the same monthly date as the date you joined.

So you and I joined on 1st so our monthly statement thereafter, will always be on the first of every month 👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • I shouldn't have brought it up.
  • I shouldn't have brought it up.
  • That’s what our cat says after eating grass, but she’s out of the bag now ....
    Actually putting aside the anniversary point you have made a good point, the sentence is there for a reason.

How about “The monthly statement you receive at the anniversary of your joining date may update your direct debit if we think it’s necessary.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post
    I shouldn't have brought it up.
  • That’s what our cat says after eating grass, but she’s out of the bag now ....
    Actually putting aside the anniversary point you have made a good point, the sentence is there for a reason.

How about “The monthly statement you receive at the anniversary of your joining date may update your direct debit if we think it’s necessary.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post
    I shouldn't have brought it up.
  • Possibly but not convinced yet..
    my 🧠 hurts

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Think you’re overthinking it our Wozeeta.

So you and I joined on 1st so our monthly statement thereafter, will always be on the first of every month ������
  • Possibly but not convinced yet..
    my 🧠 hurts

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Think you’re overthinking it our Wozeeta.

So you and I joined on 1st so our monthly statement thereafter, will always be on the first of every month ������