• Induction Hobs---------What's your opinion ? Good tech or not ??

Hey everybody,

As the subject title suggests, I've been wondering if these IndInduction Hobs are a good idea or not.

1. Anyone got one ?
    2. Are they cheaper to run than my current Gas Hob ?
    3. Are they easy enough to use ?
    4. Do you think they are worth the effort ?

Can't wait to read some informed responses.
    Gray4276
  • Hey everybody,

As the subject title suggests, I've been wondering if these IndInduction Hobs are a good idea or not.

1. Anyone got one ?

Gray4276
  • Hello gray.
    Now as far as i know if used correctly they are more efficent but im sure i read somewhere certain types of saucepan work better than others and makes a huge differance to the efficiency of them.
    Research is good as i always find the bobajob salesboy is more interested in their sales bonus than giving good advice.
    Myself ive had one before and frankly i hated it,which turned out to be a good thing as i started grilling and baking meals to avoid using it.
  • Hello gray.
    Now as far as i know if used correctly they are more efficent but im sure i read somewhere certain types of saucepan work better than others and makes a huge differance to the efficiency of them.
    Research is good as i always find the bobajob salesboy is more interested in their sales bonus than giving good advice.
    Myself ive had one before and frankly i hated it,which turned out to be a good thing as i started grilling and baking meals to avoid using it.
  • How many restaurants use induction, how many use gas?
  • How many restaurants use induction, how many use gas?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hey everybody,

1. Anyone got one ?

Hi Gray
    We had to replace our range oven, and we opted for an induction hob to replace gas burners.
    1. We have solar panels
    2. They're incredibly easy to clean
    3. It has a power option that boils water for cooking veg in less than a minute, faster than our kettle.
    4. No flame or direct heat

Downside - we had to replace all our pans for ones with a magnetic base. They also tend to be more expensive to buy.

Here's some comments from Which:
    A hob powered by electricity won’t give you the same ease of temperature control you get from a gas hob, unless you go for induction - (true, very sensitive temperature control, you can even melt chocolate directly in a pan.)

Induction hobs create a magnetic field between the induction element in the hob and the pan. This means that only the pan heats up, rather than the cooking surface.

Induction hobs are quicker than other types of hob, and are cheaper to run because they use only the precise amount of energy you need.

Induction hobs are quick, safe and efficient - so it's no wonder they are taking over everyone's kitchens.

The British Heart Foundation (BHF) recommends – based on academic findings – that people with a pacemaker should get no closer than 60cm from an induction hob.

The electromagnetic field that’s generated when an induction hob is being used may, according to the BHF, interfere with pacemaker settings.

I love ours. Hope that helps!
    Stephen
    Hey everybody,

1. Anyone got one ?

Hi Gray
    We had to replace our range oven, and we opted for an induction hob to replace gas burners.
    1. We have solar panels
    2. They're incredibly easy to clean
    3. It has a power option that boils water for cooking veg in less than a minute, faster than our kettle.
    4. No flame or direct heat

Downside - we had to replace all our pans for ones with a magnetic base. They also tend to be more expensive to buy.

Here's some comments from Which:
    A hob powered by electricity won’t give you the same ease of temperature control you get from a gas hob, unless you go for induction - (true, very sensitive temperature control, you can even melt chocolate directly in a pan.)

Induction hobs create a magnetic field between the induction element in the hob and the pan. This means that only the pan heats up, rather than the cooking surface.

Induction hobs are quicker than other types of hob, and are cheaper to run because they use only the precise amount of energy you need.

Induction hobs are quick, safe and efficient - so it's no wonder they are taking over everyone's kitchens.

The British Heart Foundation (BHF) recommends – based on academic findings – that people with a pacemaker should get no closer than 60cm from an induction hob.

The electromagnetic field that’s generated when an induction hob is being used may, according to the BHF, interfere with pacemaker settings.

I love ours. Hope that helps!
    Stephen
  • hi Gray
    There are lot's of advantages of induction, most of which Stephen has mentioned, but running costs is not one of them, yes they are more efficient than ceramic (glass) hobs, as heat is lost in the interface between the glass and the pan, but even if they were 100% efficient, which they aren't, a gas hob would be much cheaper to run. It may not matter unless you do a lot of cooking - hours every day.

In an average home I don't think it makes sense to base your decision on running costs.

The installation and infrastructure costs will likely play a much larger part in the decision if you have to have a supply installed and change all your pans to induction friendly ones.
  • hi Gray
    There are lot's of advantages of induction, most of which Stephen has mentioned, but running costs is not one of them, yes they are more efficient than ceramic (glass) hobs, as heat is lost in the interface between the glass and the pan, but even if they were 100% efficient, which they aren't, a gas hob would be much cheaper to run. It may not matter unless you do a lot of cooking - hours every day.

In an average home I don't think it makes sense to base your decision on running costs.

The installation and infrastructure costs will likely play a much larger part in the decision if you have to have a supply installed and change all your pans to induction friendly ones.
  • It's a different use case in a restaurant, a gas range is for example much more robust than an induction hob.
    The difference in running costs is also much more relevant because of the amount of time it's used.
    ​Both of those things are less important in a home.
    I doubt you would find a professional chef who want to work with an induction hob.
    Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    How many restaurants use induction, how many use gas?
  • It's a different use case in a restaurant, a gas range is for example much more robust than an induction hob.
    The difference in running costs is also much more relevant because of the amount of time it's used.
    ​Both of those things are less important in a home.
    I doubt you would find a professional chef who want to work with an induction hob.
    Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
  • "gas hobs are much cheaper to run than electric hobs. In recent years electric induction hobs have been introduced which offer much more heating control and are also more energy efficient than standard electric hobs. However induction hobs can cost up to £ 200 or more to purchase than a standard electric hob although savings on your electric bill will only be in the region of £ 10 per year."
    https://www.confusedaboutenergy.co.u...rs/118-cookers

Stephen
    Last edited by stephenrand; 25-05-19 at 21:57.
  • "gas hobs are much cheaper to run than electric hobs. In recent years electric induction hobs have been introduced which offer much more heating control and are also more energy efficient than standard electric hobs. However induction hobs can cost up to £ 200 or more to purchase than a standard electric hob although savings on your electric bill will only be in the region of £ 10 per year."
    https://www.confusedaboutenergy.co.u...rs/118-cookers

Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    Hi Talldave..... Rhetorical question??
    I don't know the answer to that..... That's why I'm asking for opinions.
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    Gray4276
    Kind of!! Gas every time for me (even though some of my plans are induction compatible). Instantaneous control with visual/audible feedback.

However, that's a totally biased view based on never having tried induction and never will, because every other type of electric hob has put me off electric for life.
    Kind of!! Gas every time for me (even though some of my plans are induction compatible). Instantaneous control with visual/audible feedback.

However, that's a totally biased view based on never having tried induction and never will, because every other type of electric hob has put me off electric for life.
  • Hi Talldave,
    Now that's the kind of response I was looking for..... Constructive and informative.
    Cheers m8
    Gray4276
  • Hi Talldave,
    Now that's the kind of response I was looking for..... Constructive and informative.
    Cheers m8
    Gray4276
  • Who will be the main user?
  • Who will be the main user?
  • Induction hobs have greatly improved and are being installed into some commercial kitchens including a mix of both.
    Its not just the method of use it also that induction reduces the heat in the kitchen that gas burners produce.
    You can purchase single plate etc plugin induction at a reasonable cost which are used for pop up restaurants.

Commercial aside but its valid to above as in the mix of appliances.
    The induction hob also provides a lower even temperature assisting slow and gentle cooking.

I don't think its a matter of which is good, its what best suits and preferred.
    Its hard to beat looking at and controlling the gas flame.
    I have gas, and at some point I would like a mix of both.
    If you like a slick and seamless kitchen look then I guess the designers will plan for electric
    Last edited by Strutt G; 26-05-19 at 17:41.
  • Induction hobs have greatly improved and are being installed into some commercial kitchens including a mix of both.
    Its not just the method of use it also that induction reduces the heat in the kitchen that gas burners produce.
    You can purchase single plate etc plugin induction at a reasonable cost which are used for pop up restaurants.

Commercial aside but its valid to above as in the mix of appliances.
    The induction hob also provides a lower even temperature assisting slow and gentle cooking.

I don't think its a matter of which is good, its what best suits and preferred.
    Its hard to beat looking at and controlling the gas flame.
    I have gas, and at some point I would like a mix of both.
    If you like a slick and seamless kitchen look then I guess the designers will plan for electric
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Who will be the main user?
    Sorry Woz..... Not even going to answer an obviously "sexist" question. The wife might be monitoring my posts... LOL
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Who will be the main user?
    Sorry Woz..... Not even going to answer an obviously "sexist" question. The wife might be monitoring my posts... LOL
    Gray4276
  • The question isn't remotely "sexist", my point was that the main user's preferences would carry more weight in the decision, whether they are right or completely right or always right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
  • The question isn't remotely "sexist", my point was that the main user's preferences would carry more weight in the decision, whether they are right or completely right or always right.
  • Hey Woz.....
    Oops.... I was only joking when I said that your question was "sexist".... I'll get me coat....
    Gray4276
  • Hey Woz.....
    Oops.... I was only joking when I said that your question was "sexist".... I'll get me coat....
    Gray4276
  • no need, - you obviously took no notice of the last line...
    best left there in case these posts are monitored....
    Hey Woz.....
  • no need, - you obviously took no notice of the last line...
    Hey Woz.....
  • Too clever/subtle for me......

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    no need, - you obviously took no notice of the last line...
    Gray4276
  • Too clever/subtle for me......

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    no need, - you obviously took no notice of the last line...
    Gray4276
  • We have induction, for the level of cooking we do, standard family fare, they are great.

Saucepans don't have to be stupidly expensive, check out the IKEA 365 range (Not the cheaper non-365 versions which are thinner and pretty poor).

If you have young kids about, induction is safer. Accidents can happen from time to time.

My Mum recently bought an induction hob, just as she was getting a pacemaker. I mentioned about the potential for needing to be careful near the hob, but she spoke to the manufacturer who indicated there was no issue with their hobs. Each manufacturer should be asked about the particular hob in question if you do have a pace maker.
  • We have induction, for the level of cooking we do, standard family fare, they are great.

Saucepans don't have to be stupidly expensive, check out the IKEA 365 range (Not the cheaper non-365 versions which are thinner and pretty poor).

If you have young kids about, induction is safer. Accidents can happen from time to time.

My Mum recently bought an induction hob, just as she was getting a pacemaker. I mentioned about the potential for needing to be careful near the hob, but she spoke to the manufacturer who indicated there was no issue with their hobs. Each manufacturer should be asked about the particular hob in question if you do have a pace maker.
  • I've had two induction hobs for about 10 years now. First was a single hob Kenwood which you plug into a standard 13 Amp socket (I still have it, just in case the main one dies). Second is a 4 hob Stoves I Love them - Kate would probably say they aren't as good as gas, but with 10 heat levels, including a 'fast boil' - I've had no issues. Pan wise, I've had pans from John Lewis, Ikea, and Judge Horwood all of which work on them - currently I'm using Judge Horwood Vista range pans which I bought because the have two small handles rather than one long handle. My wok and my frying pan are both from Ikea. ​

Gas is not an option for me, as the gas supply stops approximately 150 metres away.
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 04-06-19 at 21:37.
  • I've had two induction hobs for about 10 years now. First was a single hob Kenwood which you plug into a standard 13 Amp socket (I still have it, just in case the main one dies). Second is a 4 hob Stoves I Love them - Kate would probably say they aren't as good as gas, but with 10 heat levels, including a 'fast boil' - I've had no issues. Pan wise, I've had pans from John Lewis, Ikea, and Judge Horwood all of which work on them - currently I'm using Judge Horwood Vista range pans which I bought because the have two small handles rather than one long handle. My wok and my frying pan are both from Ikea. ​

Gas is not an option for me, as the gas supply stops approximately 150 metres away.