• Pure Planet Community Gardening Club

Are you a keen gardener? Or someone who enjoys nature and the beautiful range of plants, flowers and animals around?

I was thinking it’d be great to have a place to share gardening hints, tips & tricks, as well as any photos of gardening achievements and your favourite plants (how annoying is it when you manage to grow some beautiful flowers but no one actually gets to see them!).

Name:  bloom-blooming-blossom-462118.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  3.91 MB

Gardening can also be a great way to help the environment and encourage biodiversity by including elements such as bug hotels (see the RSPB’s guide on how to build a bug hotel here), bee friendly plants and grass, and bird baths or feeders (a natural protector vs slugs instead of slug pellets!). Any tips for how to do these and/or encourage nature in our gardens?

Name:  tit-4000399_1920.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  420.5 KB

• Are you a keen gardener? Or someone who enjoys nature and the beautiful range of plants, flowers and animals around?

I was thinking it’d be great to have a place to share gardening hints, tips & tricks, as well as any photos of gardening achievements and your favourite plants (how annoying is it when you manage to grow some beautiful flowers but no one actually gets to see them!).

Name:  bloom-blooming-blossom-462118.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  3.91 MB

Gardening can also be a great way to help the environment and encourage biodiversity by including elements such as bug hotels (see the RSPB’s guide on how to build a bug hotel here), bee friendly plants and grass, and bird baths or feeders (a natural protector vs slugs instead of slug pellets!). Any tips for how to do these and/or encourage nature in our gardens?

Name:  tit-4000399_1920.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  420.5 KB

• When its time to do some tiding up but somebody has other ideas.Name:  20190516_091018.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  2.26 MB
  • When its time to do some tiding up but somebody has other ideas.Name:  20190516_091018.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  2.26 MB
  • Lovely thread Nat, especially as we’re enjoying watching a lovely week of the Chelsea πŸ‘πŸŒΊπŸŒΈπŸŒΉπŸŒ·πŸ₯€on tv right now.

​Great shot Jon πŸ¦πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Lovely thread Nat, especially as we’re enjoying watching a lovely week of the Chelsea πŸ‘πŸŒΊπŸŒΈπŸŒΉπŸŒ·πŸ₯€on tv right now.

​Great shot Jon πŸ¦πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • This is a bug hotel at our country park, it’s called a β€œBee and Bee” πŸπŸœπŸžπŸ¦—πŸ•·, great idea and school children on the trips there love it πŸ‘

Name:  D5C139FB-0D1B-4947-8F41-510AF611985C.jpeg
Views: 107
Size:  2.40 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • This is a bug hotel at our country park, it’s called a β€œBee and Bee” πŸπŸœπŸžπŸ¦—πŸ•·, great idea and school children on the trips there love it πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • If you want to see an amazing colour on your flowers have a look at Lychnis coronaria.
    Photos don't (actually they are technically unable to) show the vibrancy.​

​I planted some and it died, only to find it growing wild around a tree a few hundred yards from where I live..
  • If you want to see an amazing colour on your flowers have a look at Lychnis coronaria.
    Photos don't (actually they are technically unable to) show the vibrancy.​

​I planted some and it died, only to find it growing wild around a tree a few hundred yards from where I live..
  • Just this second watched my lovely blackbird taking full bath πŸ›in smaller of two water bowls. I was in armchair and on life got soaked from all the splashing πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦but beyond idyllic and didn’t dare move! Slowly lifted iPad to get pic when he turned, water all up windows on life πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•. Magical that was! πŸ™πŸ’•πŸ‘

Name:  F9958AE9-E8E8-4CA0-9B00-A42918920FF4.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  535.2 KB

WALT WHITMAN
  • Just this second watched my lovely blackbird taking full bath πŸ›in smaller of two water bowls. I was in armchair and on life got soaked from all the splashing πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦but beyond idyllic and didn’t dare move! Slowly lifted iPad to get pic when he turned, water all up windows on life πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•. Magical that was! πŸ™πŸ’•πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Looks more like Bughingham Palace than a Bee and Bee to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    This is a bug hotel at our country park, it’s called a β€œBee and Bee” οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½, great idea and school children on the trips there love it οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½

​
  • Looks more like Bughingham Palace than a Bee and Bee to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    This is a bug hotel at our country park, it’s called a β€œBee and Bee” οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½, great idea and school children on the trips there love it οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½

​
  • Hee hee, very good Nat πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ‘.

I’ve booked in for the bank holiday weekend πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, sharing with a 🐞and a πŸœπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

​Gets the kiddies interested tho, and it’s surrounded by little tree stumps they sit on πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Hee hee, very good Nat πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ‘.

I’ve booked in for the bank holiday weekend πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, sharing with a 🐞and a πŸœπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

​Gets the kiddies interested tho, and it’s surrounded by little tree stumps they sit on πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Our little "air bee n bee" is very popular today in the sunshine. Many rooms now taken
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  • Our little "air bee n bee" is very popular today in the sunshine. Many rooms now taken
  • Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  402.1 KBInspired by all these posts to add to our garden.
    My partner is the gardener, I'm the lawn mower, heavy labour, bag up and sift the composter x 3 bod!
    The composter really make a difference on how things grow and not having to bin stuff.
    Guess it will be another month or so before we see full blooms.

Lots of birds even though not a wide range of species, good to see sparrows recovering over the last few years.
    Purchased another bird feeder a few weeks ago and the birds went no where near it.
    I thought the perches were to small so extended by slotting rawl plugs over the top, still no luck even when it was full up and the other feeders empty. So filled it up with meal worm/shrimp stuff and within a few seconds the starlings arrived in a frenzy.. plus some smaller birds that never bothered before. Once empty, refilled with seeds and once again they go no where near it.
    Think it must the light green colour not registering.. accept when it smells of food.
    Weird.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 28-05-19 at 13:57.
  • Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  402.1 KBInspired by all these posts to add to our garden.
    My partner is the gardener, I'm the lawn mower, heavy labour, bag up and sift the composter x 3 bod!
    The composter really make a difference on how things grow and not having to bin stuff.
    Guess it will be another month or so before we see full blooms.

Lots of birds even though not a wide range of species, good to see sparrows recovering over the last few years.
    Purchased another bird feeder a few weeks ago and the birds went no where near it.
    I thought the perches were to small so extended by slotting rawl plugs over the top, still no luck even when it was full up and the other feeders empty. So filled it up with meal worm/shrimp stuff and within a few seconds the starlings arrived in a frenzy.. plus some smaller birds that never bothered before. Once empty, refilled with seeds and once again they go no where near it.
    Think it must the light green colour not registering.. accept when it smells of food.
    Weird.
  • Beautiful photo Strutt! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Beautiful photo Strutt! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    The composter really make a difference on how things grow and not having to bin stuff. Guess it will be another month or so before we see full blooms.
    Do you use coffee grounds? Apparently they're great for composting because they provide a source of nitrogen.
    Also a great way to use them up instead of just throwing them out...

How strange the birds don't go to the feeder!
    Have squirrels discovered it yet? You see them clambering up bird feeders.....

​aaaand falling back down!
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    The composter really make a difference on how things grow and not having to bin stuff. Guess it will be another month or so before we see full blooms.
    Do you use coffee grounds? Apparently they're great for composting because they provide a source of nitrogen.

• We get loads of 🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿, soooooooo agile! Fascinating to watch em!

WALT WHITMAN
  • We get loads of 🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿, soooooooo agile! Fascinating to watch em!

WALT WHITMAN
  • My project this summer - getting our newly planted parsley as large as our (crazy) mint plant!

Herbs are so expensive to buy in shops and go off really quickly in the fridge if you buy a little packet.

I found tomatoes quite a lot of work to grow but actually herbs aren't so difficult so long as you get some good weather and seem worth it in the long-run.
    Any other tips for growing herbs? Or fruit/veg for that matter?

Name:  parsley.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  190.8 KB

Name:  herbs.jpg
Size:  231.1 KB

(ps spot the incredibly pretty 'litter tray' garden feature in the background)
  • My project this summer - getting our newly planted parsley as large as our (crazy) mint plant!

Herbs are so expensive to buy in shops and go off really quickly in the fridge if you buy a little packet.

I found tomatoes quite a lot of work to grow but actually herbs aren't so difficult so long as you get some good weather and seem worth it in the long-run.
    Any other tips for growing herbs? Or fruit/veg for that matter?

Name:  parsley.jpg
Size:  190.8 KB

Name:  herbs.jpg
Size:  231.1 KB

(ps spot the incredibly pretty 'litter tray' garden feature in the background)
  • Gorge Nat πŸ‘πŸ‘and couldnt agree more re packs of herbs from supermarkets πŸ‘Ž. I buy loads, and quite expensive. I do tend to use all in one go for the very reason they go off too swift. If I don’t use all, especially basil, I put it in a sealed Tupperware with drop of water and it keeps it fresh for day or two but not long.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Gorge Nat πŸ‘πŸ‘and couldnt agree more re packs of herbs from supermarkets πŸ‘Ž. I buy loads, and quite expensive. I do tend to use all in one go for the very reason they go off too swift. If I don’t use all, especially basil, I put it in a sealed Tupperware with drop of water and it keeps it fresh for day or two but not long.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    If I don’t use all, especially basil, I put it in a sealed Tupperware with drop of water and it keeps it fresh for day or two but not long.
    That's such a good tip, I've never heard of that one!

Sometimes I cut the herbs fresh and put them in the freezer, but somehow still doesn't lock in the flavour so well.

Have you ever tried growing your own?
    If I don’t use all, especially basil, I put it in a sealed Tupperware with drop of water and it keeps it fresh for day or two but not long.
    That's such a good tip, I've never heard of that one!

Sometimes I cut the herbs fresh and put them in the freezer, but somehow still doesn't lock in the flavour so well.

Have you ever tried growing your own?
  • Once Nat, tried 🌢🌢🌢🌢🌢🌢🌢. Let’s just say, Monty Don has nothing to fear πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • Once Nat, tried 🌢🌢🌢🌢🌢🌢🌢. Let’s just say, Monty Don has nothing to fear πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • Can anyone help identify this plant, it has grown rather quickly,and now over 2 metres high
  • Can anyone help identify this plant, it has grown rather quickly,and now over 2 metres high
    Just this second watched my lovely blackbird taking full bath πŸ›in smaller of two water bowls. I was in armchair and on life got soaked from all the splashing πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦but beyond idyllic and didn’t dare move! Slowly lifted iPad to get pic when he turned, water all up windows on life πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•. Magical that was! πŸ™πŸ’•πŸ‘

Ah I love blackbirds. There's one that waits for me every morning when I put the food out, she's quite tame. πŸ’•
    Just this second watched my lovely blackbird taking full bath πŸ›in smaller of two water bowls. I was in armchair and on life got soaked from all the splashing πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦but beyond idyllic and didn’t dare move! Slowly lifted iPad to get pic when he turned, water all up windows on life πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•. Magical that was! πŸ™πŸ’•πŸ‘

Ah I love blackbirds. There's one that waits for me every morning when I put the food out, she's quite tame. πŸ’•
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post

Ha ha, this made me laugh!!
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post

Ha ha, this made me laugh!!