• Nearly a third of UK drivers want to switch to EVs - new survey

Almost one in three UK drivers has switched or wants to switch to an electric vehicle.

But range anxiety and lack of public charging points is putting some people off. More than three quarters of people asked said the lack of public chargers on their daily commute was the reason they had held off switching to an EV.

The findings come from a survey by BP of 685 people.

Name:  Results of BP poll about EVs.PNG
Views: 27
Size:  456.6 KB

BP (which has a 24% stake in Pure Planet) last year bought Chargemaster, the UK’s biggest EV charging network.

Would you make the switch to an EV if there were more public charging points?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Almost one in three UK drivers has switched or wants to switch to an electric vehicle.

But range anxiety and lack of public charging points is putting some people off. More than three quarters of people asked said the lack of public chargers on their daily commute was the reason they had held off switching to an EV.

The findings come from a survey by BP of 685 people.

Name:  Results of BP poll about EVs.PNG
Views: 27
Size:  456.6 KB

BP (which has a 24% stake in Pure Planet) last year bought Chargemaster, the UK’s biggest EV charging network.

Would you make the switch to an EV if there were more public charging points?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Before you buy one this winter try Googling what happens when you switch the heater on you lose up to half you range
  • Before you buy one this winter try Googling what happens when you switch the heater on you lose up to half you range
  • Of course you will lose some range but, if you can charge it at home, you can pre-heat while it's still plugged in.
    Not sure where you got the 50% from though, it seems a bit random/extreme.
    You just have to factor it in if it's extremely cold I guess.

My petrol vehicle uses 30% more fuel on short journeys in the Winter compared to when it's warm, even worse if you leave it idling to warm up before you get into it. Worse still it pollutes.

Quote Originally Posted by dondrury View Post
    Before you buy one this winter try Googling what happens when you switch the heater on you lose up to half you range
  • Of course you will lose some range but, if you can charge it at home, you can pre-heat while it's still plugged in.
    Not sure where you got the 50% from though, it seems a bit random/extreme.
    You just have to factor it in if it's extremely cold I guess.

My petrol vehicle uses 30% more fuel on short journeys in the Winter compared to when it's warm, even worse if you leave it idling to warm up before you get into it. Worse still it pollutes.

Quote Originally Posted by dondrury View Post
    Before you buy one this winter try Googling what happens when you switch the heater on you lose up to half you range
  • Quote Originally Posted by dondrury View Post
    Hi there
    I did Google it - found interesting comparisons between electric and petrol engines in cold weather. And you do lose up to half your range... but only because 'up to' covers 1 - 50%.

I found this table

Outside temp e-Golf range (heating/AC ON) e-Golf range (heating/AC OFF)
    -10° 88 miles 139 miles
    -5° 100 miles 149 miles
    0° 115 miles 157 miles
    5° 133 miles 165 miles
    10° 153 miles 173 miles
    15° 173 miles 181 miles
    20° 186 miles 188 miles

So at -10 you do get down to 50%. But then I haven't often driven my car at -10, mainly because where we live it gets that cold on average about once a year, and that's in the middle of the night.

It's certainly an interesting dimension of the EV debate
  • Quote Originally Posted by dondrury View Post
    Hi there
    I did Google it - found interesting comparisons between electric and petrol engines in cold weather. And you do lose up to half your range... but only because 'up to' covers 1 - 50%.

I found this table

Outside temp e-Golf range (heating/AC ON) e-Golf range (heating/AC OFF)
    -10° 88 miles 139 miles
    -5° 100 miles 149 miles
    0° 115 miles 157 miles
    5° 133 miles 165 miles
    10° 153 miles 173 miles
    15° 173 miles 181 miles
    20° 186 miles 188 miles

So at -10 you do get down to 50%. But then I haven't often driven my car at -10, mainly because where we live it gets that cold on average about once a year, and that's in the middle of the night.

It's certainly an interesting dimension of the EV debate