• Are bees important and should we work to save them?

Hey everyone,

On 20th May it was the 2nd ever National Bee Day, to raise awareness of this great insect and their impact on the world.

Did you know (I definitely didn’t!) that bees’ pollination work has been estimated to have an economic value of roughly
    $235 billion annually worldwide and that at least ⅓ of food is pollination dependent?? But there’s been a sharp decline in the bee population over the last 10 years due to climate change, habitat loss, the use of pesticides and disease...

Name:  savethebees.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  92.6 KB

The FAO has published an interesting document about pollinators and how they contribute to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal of Zero Hunger - as well as having a key part in biodiversity and ensuring we have healthy crops (mainly fruit and veg!), “they contribute to building resilient livelihoods and creating new jobs, for poor smallholder farmers in particular, satisfying the growing demand for healthy, nutritious food as
    well as non-food products” across the world.

What can we do to #SaveTheBees and ensure that this pollinating species doesn’t die out?

With such beeautiful weather at the mo it’s a great opportunity to follow the British Beekeeping Association’s advice on how we can help the honey bee - they’ve published a top 10 list of plants that are great for bees, whether your garden is 1 hanging basket, a balcony or an allotment everyone can get involved!
    They also advise not using pesticides if possible.

Do you agree that it’s a cause worth making a buzz about?

Any tips for helping bees (and other pollinators such as butterflies!) in our gardens?

Last edited by Nataly; 21-05-19 at 16:36.
  • Hey everyone,

On 20th May it was the 2nd ever National Bee Day, to raise awareness of this great insect and their impact on the world.

Did you know (I definitely didn’t!) that bees’ pollination work has been estimated to have an economic value of roughly
    $235 billion annually worldwide and that at least ⅓ of food is pollination dependent?? But there’s been a sharp decline in the bee population over the last 10 years due to climate change, habitat loss, the use of pesticides and disease...

Name:  savethebees.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  92.6 KB

The FAO has published an interesting document about pollinators and how they contribute to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal of Zero Hunger - as well as having a key part in biodiversity and ensuring we have healthy crops (mainly fruit and veg!), “they contribute to building resilient livelihoods and creating new jobs, for poor smallholder farmers in particular, satisfying the growing demand for healthy, nutritious food as
    well as non-food products” across the world.

What can we do to #SaveTheBees and ensure that this pollinating species doesn’t die out?

With such beeautiful weather at the mo it’s a great opportunity to follow the British Beekeeping Association’s advice on how we can help the honey bee - they’ve published a top 10 list of plants that are great for bees, whether your garden is 1 hanging basket, a balcony or an allotment everyone can get involved!
    They also advise not using pesticides if possible.

Do you agree that it’s a cause worth making a buzz about?

Any tips for helping bees (and other pollinators such as butterflies!) in our gardens?

• One for you our Jonny !!!!!! 👍👍👍👍👏, adore 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝👏👏👏👏👏
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • One for you our Jonny !!!!!! 👍👍👍👍👏, adore 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝👏👏👏👏👏

WALT WHITMAN
  • Thanks bev.
    Now in the short time i have been keeping bees i have leart a lot.a number of factors is holding back the bee populaation.
    Loss of natural habitat where the bees can build a hive naturally, a swarm of bees moving into someones garden or public space and setting up home is considered a pest and they are either removed or killed. They moved there because they consider it a good location for them, just not for us.
    Farming and gardening we all love a pretty garden but is it bee frindly if it is you will have a range of plants and flowers all year round,if its warm enough bees will fly and collect pollen so make sure there is some. Let your hedge flower,let daisy grow in the grass.wild areas even if its only a small patch.
    Even the smallest garden can have a bee hive even a roof top, that flat garage roof can have a hive. There is a lot to learn but as a rule if you follow some simple steps you wont get stung or attacked. Just remember if you do have a go dont eat all the honey thats what they live on in winter.
  • Thanks bev.
    Now in the short time i have been keeping bees i have leart a lot.a number of factors is holding back the bee populaation.
    Loss of natural habitat where the bees can build a hive naturally, a swarm of bees moving into someones garden or public space and setting up home is considered a pest and they are either removed or killed. They moved there because they consider it a good location for them, just not for us.
    Farming and gardening we all love a pretty garden but is it bee frindly if it is you will have a range of plants and flowers all year round,if its warm enough bees will fly and collect pollen so make sure there is some. Let your hedge flower,let daisy grow in the grass.wild areas even if its only a small patch.
    Even the smallest garden can have a bee hive even a roof top, that flat garage roof can have a hive. There is a lot to learn but as a rule if you follow some simple steps you wont get stung or attacked. Just remember if you do have a go dont eat all the honey thats what they live on in winter.
  • Nice read Jonny 👏👏👏👏. Long live the 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝💕🍯🍯🍯

WALT WHITMAN
  • Nice read Jonny 👏👏👏👏. Long live the 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝💕🍯🍯🍯

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Just remember if you do have a go dont eat all the honey thats what they live on in winter.
    I didn't realise that!! That's a really good point.

What're the steps to avoid getting stung? That must be most peoples' biggest worry with them, so would be good to understand what to do

Apparently bees also love herbs such as mint and rosemary, not just flowers. Handy to know as different plants blossom at different times of year to also help them in Autumn not just Spring and Summer
    Just remember if you do have a go dont eat all the honey thats what they live on in winter.
    I didn't realise that!! That's a really good point.

What're the steps to avoid getting stung? That must be most peoples' biggest worry with them, so would be good to understand what to do

Apparently bees also love herbs such as mint and rosemary, not just flowers. Handy to know as different plants blossom at different times of year to also help them in Autumn not just Spring and Summer
  • Bees only sting as a defence, top tips if you find a hive
    1. Walk away.
    2. If you get curious do not block or cross the bees flight path in and out of the hive they see it as a threat. Stand behind a hive and almost certainly you wont get stung.
    3. When bees sting they leave a barb in you this barb will attract other bees as you have been marked as an enemy.walk faster.
    4. Dont annoy them and you can get this close without a bee suit or being stung. Final tip if you know your going near bees dont wear deodorants especially flower scented ones.Name:  20190523_123424.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  4.67 MB
    Last edited by Jon1; 23-05-19 at 12:41.
  • Bees only sting as a defence, top tips if you find a hive
    1. Walk away.
    2. If you get curious do not block or cross the bees flight path in and out of the hive they see it as a threat. Stand behind a hive and almost certainly you wont get stung.
    3. When bees sting they leave a barb in you this barb will attract other bees as you have been marked as an enemy.walk faster.
    4. Dont annoy them and you can get this close without a bee suit or being stung. Final tip if you know your going near bees dont wear deodorants especially flower scented ones.Name:  20190523_123424.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  4.67 MB
  • Fantastic Jon1, my hubby has always wanted to keep bees, but don't think our garden is big enough.
    I love it when bees visit our garden tho. Love to see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Thanks bev.
  • Fantastic Jon1, my hubby has always wanted to keep bees, but don't think our garden is big enough.
    Thanks bev.
  • Fab knowledge Jonny 👍👏👏👏. Thank you!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Fab knowledge Jonny 👍👏👏👏. Thank you!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Amazing pic @Jon1

Also really good advice! Thanks for that the 'walk faster' part in particular
  • Amazing pic @Jon1

Also really good advice! Thanks for that the 'walk faster' part in particular
  • First we had "snakes on a plane" im just hoping " bees in the car " is not a sequel. 🙏🐝🐝🐝Name:  20190528_124346.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  2.50 MB
  • First we had "snakes on a plane" im just hoping " bees in the car " is not a sequel. 🙏🐝🐝🐝Name:  20190528_124346.jpg
  • Let's hope you don't need to come to a sudden stop..
    Bees everywhere!
    First we had "snakes on a plane" im just hoping " bees in the car " is not a sequel. ���������������� �������Name:  20190528_124346.jpg
  • Let's hope you don't need to come to a sudden stop..
    Bees everywhere!
    First we had "snakes on a plane" im just hoping " bees in the car " is not a sequel. ���������������� �������Name:  20190528_124346.jpg
    First we had "snakes on a plane" im just hoping " bees in the car " is not a sequel. Name:  20190528_124346.jpg

What the ?!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

First we had "snakes on a plane" im just hoping " bees in the car " is not a sequel. Name:  20190528_124346.jpg

What the ?!

• Haha. Setting up a new hive, so its 20000 bees in transit. No sudden stoppping planned they sound angry enough as it is.
    Sorry officer i didnt mean to crash.
  • Haha. Setting up a new hive, so its 20000 bees in transit. No sudden stoppping planned they sound angry enough as it is.
  • 20,000?!? that's a lotta bees!

How do you set up a new hive? How many will you then have in total?
  • 20,000?!? that's a lotta bees!

How do you set up a new hive? How many will you then have in total?
  • Keep us posted Jonny 🙀. Seriously, fascinating stuff 👍👍👏👏🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

WALT WHITMAN
  • Keep us posted Jonny 🙀. Seriously, fascinating stuff 👍👍👏👏🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

WALT WHITMAN
  • hi Angela
    It might not be big enough to keep bees but you can encourage them with your lawn (a bonus if you hate weeding the lawn)
    Have a look HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    Fantastic Jon1, my hubby has always wanted to keep bees, but don't think our garden is big enough.
  • hi Angela
    It might not be big enough to keep bees but you can encourage them with your lawn (a bonus if you hate weeding the lawn)
    Have a look HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    Fantastic Jon1, my hubby has always wanted to keep bees, but don't think our garden is big enough.
  • haha, if you get stopped just say you were fed up with the wife so you replaced her with something friendlier. - Would you like to take a look officer?
    Haha. Setting up a new hive, so its 20000 bees in transit. No sudden stoppping planned they sound angry enough as it is.
  • haha, if you get stopped just say you were fed up with the wife so you replaced her with something friendlier. - Would you like to take a look officer?
    Haha. Setting up a new hive, so its 20000 bees in transit. No sudden stoppping planned they sound angry enough as it is.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    haha, if you get stopped just say you were fed up with the wife so you replaced her with something friendlier. - Would you like to take a look officer?
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 14
Size:  472.5 KB

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    haha, if you get stopped just say you were fed up with the wife so you replaced her with something friendlier. - Would you like to take a look officer?
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 14
Size:  472.5 KB