• Economy 7 Metre - Members Feedback

Hi E7's

My nephew moved into his first flat last year and I went round there last week.
    He's on an E7 tariff fixed to late 2020 and no gas supply.
    I'm going to assess the best way forward which potentially will be PP.

The meter has one set of digits and changes from day to night.
    He has no storage heaters but has recently added time switches to all the rads.
    His annual energy projection is approx 4000kWh of which 87% is charged at the higher day rate.
    And the remaining 13% charged on the lower night rate so its a bad deal.

The current statement lacks detail.
    Does not provide the day or night tariff rates, just the equalisation of the two and two sets units used.
    I've ask him to call the supplier as I've noted in their blurb that you can move to a single tariff.
    I'm waiting for the image of the meter and will get confirmation from the supplier about a single variable tariff option.

I'm thinking is it worth finding out how much it would cost to change the meter.
    Its inside his purchased flat by the front door.
    Plus consider the property management terms in this regard.
    Is the above worth the bother at all..probably not

In simple terms, keep the meter, hopefully be able to move to a single tariff, to ease the process forward stay with the current supplier until the single variable tariff is in place.
    Then switch approx a month later.
    In the scheme of things a penalty is the lesser problem but that will be put into question!

When on a single tariff I guess you still have to submit the day and night reads which will just be added together x the same tariff.

I eventually found the suppliers spreads doc with many sheets when I trawled through their website.
    Plus confirmed via a switch site.

I think I'm going in the right direction but any feed back would be welcome.

Much appreciated
    Tap below to see the best answer
    Last edited by Strutt G; 19-05-19 at 13:11.
  • Hi E7's

My nephew moved into his first flat last year and I went round there last week.
    He's on an E7 tariff fixed to late 2020 and no gas supply.
    I'm going to assess the best way forward which potentially will be PP.

The meter has one set of digits and changes from day to night.
    He has no storage heaters but has recently added time switches to all the rads.
    His annual energy projection is approx 4000kWh of which 87% is charged at the higher day rate.
    And the remaining 13% charged on the lower night rate so its a bad deal.

The current statement lacks detail.
    Does not provide the day or night tariff rates, just the equalisation of the two and two sets units used.
    I've ask him to call the supplier as I've noted in their blurb that you can move to a single tariff.
    I'm waiting for the image of the meter and will get confirmation from the supplier about a single variable tariff option.

I'm thinking is it worth finding out how much it would cost to change the meter.
    Its inside his purchased flat by the front door.
    Plus consider the property management terms in this regard.
    Is the above worth the bother at all..probably not

In simple terms, keep the meter, hopefully be able to move to a single tariff, to ease the process forward stay with the current supplier until the single variable tariff is in place.
    Then switch approx a month later.
    In the scheme of things a penalty is the lesser problem but that will be put into question!

When on a single tariff I guess you still have to submit the day and night reads which will just be added together x the same tariff.

I eventually found the suppliers spreads doc with many sheets when I trawled through their website.
    Plus confirmed via a switch site.

I think I'm going in the right direction but any feed back would be welcome.

Much appreciated
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi G, Strutt G, Strutt, Strutty, (don't ask)

I'm on E7
    This is a dilemma.
    If he moves away from an E7 *meter you won't have the choice of any future E7 tariffs with anyone.
    Suppliers fall into 2 categories with E7, those that will allow you to only take an E7 tariff, and those who will allow you to be on a single tarff but submit the 2 readings. A fair while ago I was on a Sainsburys Energy (part of BG) tariff. I'll come back to that in a sec...

His night/day ratio is very low, it's likely that if it stays that way there will be very few if any E7 tariffs which will benefit him at those percentages. I created a spreadsheet which allows you to put the figures in for both and the percentage used at night, and works out which is cheaper, but, and referring back to the above, it makes no difference if the supplier won't allow you to take a non-E7 tariff. I think BG and associated will, many others won't, you'd have to enquire with the individual companies.

However as PP stand at the moment, the rates are the same, so he could have the benefit of leaving the meter as it is, and moving to PP, which in the interim will give him the best of both, and he can always change it later or tweak his lifestyle to increase the night ratio (much harder in practice I know)

Alternatively you could do two comparisons on say MSE cheap energy club, use 2 email addresses, make 1of them E7 and the other non E7, and if you find a non-E7 tariff that you think is viable, contact the supplier and ask if they are prepared to take both readings on a single tariff.

1). Meter. A device for measuring the quantity or degree of something.
    2). Metre: A fundamental SI unit of length

3). Meter: if you are American then the same as (2)
    Last edited by woz; 19-05-19 at 11:42.
  • hi G, Strutt G, Strutt, Strutty, (don't ask)

I'm on E7
    This is a dilemma.
    If he moves away from an E7 *meter you won't have the choice of any future E7 tariffs with anyone.
    Suppliers fall into 2 categories with E7, those that will allow you to only take an E7 tariff, and those who will allow you to be on a single tarff but submit the 2 readings. A fair while ago I was on a Sainsburys Energy (part of BG) tariff. I'll come back to that in a sec...

His night/day ratio is very low, it's likely that if it stays that way there will be very few if any E7 tariffs which will benefit him at those percentages. I created a spreadsheet which allows you to put the figures in for both and the percentage used at night, and works out which is cheaper, but, and referring back to the above, it makes no difference if the supplier won't allow you to take a non-E7 tariff. I think BG and associated will, many others won't, you'd have to enquire with the individual companies.

However as PP stand at the moment, the rates are the same, so he could have the benefit of leaving the meter as it is, and moving to PP, which in the interim will give him the best of both, and he can always change it later or tweak his lifestyle to increase the night ratio (much harder in practice I know)

Alternatively you could do two comparisons on say MSE cheap energy club, use 2 email addresses, make 1of them E7 and the other non E7, and if you find a non-E7 tariff that you think is viable, contact the supplier and ask if they are prepared to take both readings on a single tariff.

1). Meter. A device for measuring the quantity or degree of something.
    2). Metre: A fundamental SI unit of length

3). Meter: if you are American then the same as (2)

• Thanks Woz I new you'd be on it!

Makes me feel more confident in my understanding and direction.
    Especially when you are giving advice to people you know and suggesting they should switch.

I've only just started the process so I will be doing the all the comparison stuff.
    I'm also going to knock up a spreadsheet, do the analysis because as you say theres all the ifs and buts to be considered.

PP could be a sound option, hopefully more than the interim.....small question mark?

Yo the small print:
    I've edited my metre to meter to keep up the high standard expected by the community and so that I'm not expelled or banned for a month.

• Thanks Woz I new you'd be on it!

Especially when you are giving advice to people you know and suggesting they should switch.

I've only just started the process so I will be doing the all the comparison stuff.
    I'm also going to knock up a spreadsheet, do the analysis because as you say theres all the ifs and buts to be considered.

PP could be a sound option, hopefully more than the interim.....small question mark?

Yo the small print:
    I've edited my metre to meter to keep up the high standard expected by the community and so that I'm not expelled or banned for a month.

• you're welcome
    let us know how you get on with the spreadsheet, you're welcome to mine if all else fails but it's a catch-all and overly complicated, so I'd need to simplify before passing it on and cba/busy at the moment.
    The MSE website is usually spot on.

​haha...the meter vs metre..
    perhaps I should be banned for mentioning it

Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Thanks Woz I new you'd be on it!

Yo the small print:

• you're welcome
    let us know how you get on with the spreadsheet, you're welcome to mine if all else fails but it's a catch-all and overly complicated, so I'd need to simplify before passing it on and cba/busy at the moment.
    The MSE website is usually spot on.

​haha...the meter vs metre..
    perhaps I should be banned for mentioning it

Thanks Woz I new you'd be on it!

Yo the small print:

• Banned no!

Its taken that you will find fault/solutions in the specifics and the non specifics, you cant help yourself your driven!

Cheers again... and one day I would love to check out one of your spread sheets.
  • Banned no!

Its taken that you will find fault/solutions in the specifics and the non specifics, you cant help yourself your driven!

Cheers again... and one day I would love to check out one of your spread sheets.

• Quick Strutt! Change your “new” to “knew” before Wozeeta notices 😂😂😂😂😉
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quick Strutt! Change your “new” to “knew” before Wozeeta notices 😂😂😂😂😉
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

• Thanks Bev and sorry you missed it Woz.

I can rely on Y'all flagging up my poor command of the english language.
    All part of the community's cultural revolution and re education programme.
    Who is our chairman.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 19-05-19 at 19:36.
  • Thanks Bev and sorry you missed it Woz.

I can rely on Y'all flagging up my poor command of the english language.
    All part of the community's cultural revolution and re education programme.
    Who is our chairman.

• I second that, but if Who doesn't want the job, we'll have to find someone else...

Thanks Bev and sorry you missed it Woz.

I can rely on Y'all flagging up my poor command of the English language.
    All part of the community's cultural revolution and re-education programme.
    Who is our chairman.
  • I second that, but if Who doesn't want the job, we'll have to find someone else...

Thanks Bev and sorry you missed it Woz.

I can rely on Y'all flagging up my poor command of the English language.
    All part of the community's cultural revolution and re-education programme.
    Who is our chairman.

• Many years ago, the break even point on E7 tariffs was around 30-35% night time use. Nowadays you can find a tariff with 15.5% break even. But at 13% single rate is probably going to be the best option. Many suppliers, PP included, are ok using two readings for a single rate tariff.
  • Many years ago, the break even point on E7 tariffs was around 30-35% night time use. Nowadays you can find a tariff with 15.5% break even. But at 13% single rate is probably going to be the best option. Many suppliers, PP included, are ok using two readings for a single rate tariff.