Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  • Mental Health Awareness Week

Hey everyone, you may not know it but this week is Mental Health Awareness Week. This year’s focus is body image (#BeBodyKind).

The
    Mental Health Foundation’s surveys have shown that 1 in 5 adults felt shame about their body image in the last year, over a third of UK adults have felt anxious due to body image concerns, and just over 1 in 5 adults (and 40% of teenagers!) said social media images caused them to worry about their body image.

At Pure Planet we recently sent 2 members of our team on a course to become Mental Health First Aiders.

Following their training they presented about their experience to the rest of the PP team and discussed that if anyone has any issues, they can approach them in total confidentiality to be pointed in the right direction for support depending on their needs.

As well as this, policies such as dress code are particularly helpful in terms of body image. Here at PP we can (to a certain extent) wear whatever we’re comfortable with to the office, whether that’s jeans and a hoody or smart trousers and a shirt, there’s no judgement.
    This really helps us to focus on work and not be worrying about whether today’s outfit is ‘smart’ enough, or not be boiling to death in a suit when it’s lovely and sunny outside.

One of the studies carried out showed that 8% of women would avoid going to work if they felt badly about their appearance, which makes a relaxed dress code policy seem even more relevant to promoting positivity in the workplace.

Does your office have similar policies in place?

I once went to a job interview for which I had to wear a suit - I was so uncomfortable in it I spent half the time fidgeting to get comfy and half the time questioning if I looked smart enough/ if my shirt was crinkled/ if I should've worn heels or not (that's another thing... I cannot imagine 'having' to walk around all day in heels!!). Purely because I felt so uneasy it really impacted my concentration on the actual interview. Versus in the PP office with the more relaxed approach to work-wear I can dress practically for my day with no worries - trainers for my commute, jumpers if it's cold and dresses if it's warm!

Anyone else agree or disagree? What do you think we can do in the UK to improve mental health awareness and body image positivity?

Name:  adult-blur-close-up-736842.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  3.15 MB
    • The first snow of winter arrives! ⛄ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips💚🎅​​​​​​​
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations​​​​​​​
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?🤔​​​​​​​ Find out in our quiz!
  • Hey everyone, you may not know it but this week is Mental Health Awareness Week. This year’s focus is body image (#BeBodyKind).

The
    Mental Health Foundation’s surveys have shown that 1 in 5 adults felt shame about their body image in the last year, over a third of UK adults have felt anxious due to body image concerns, and just over 1 in 5 adults (and 40% of teenagers!) said social media images caused them to worry about their body image.

At Pure Planet we recently sent 2 members of our team on a course to become Mental Health First Aiders.

Following their training they presented about their experience to the rest of the PP team and discussed that if anyone has any issues, they can approach them in total confidentiality to be pointed in the right direction for support depending on their needs.

As well as this, policies such as dress code are particularly helpful in terms of body image. Here at PP we can (to a certain extent) wear whatever we’re comfortable with to the office, whether that’s jeans and a hoody or smart trousers and a shirt, there’s no judgement.
    This really helps us to focus on work and not be worrying about whether today’s outfit is ‘smart’ enough, or not be boiling to death in a suit when it’s lovely and sunny outside.

One of the studies carried out showed that 8% of women would avoid going to work if they felt badly about their appearance, which makes a relaxed dress code policy seem even more relevant to promoting positivity in the workplace.

Does your office have similar policies in place?

I once went to a job interview for which I had to wear a suit - I was so uncomfortable in it I spent half the time fidgeting to get comfy and half the time questioning if I looked smart enough/ if my shirt was crinkled/ if I should've worn heels or not (that's another thing... I cannot imagine 'having' to walk around all day in heels!!). Purely because I felt so uneasy it really impacted my concentration on the actual interview. Versus in the PP office with the more relaxed approach to work-wear I can dress practically for my day with no worries - trainers for my commute, jumpers if it's cold and dresses if it's warm!

Anyone else agree or disagree? What do you think we can do in the UK to improve mental health awareness and body image positivity?

Name:  adult-blur-close-up-736842.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  3.15 MB
    • The first snow of winter arrives! ⛄ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips💚🎅​​​​​​​
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations​​​​​​​
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?🤔​​​​​​​ Find out in our quiz!