Poll: Do you prefer Apple or Google (Android) phones?

• You mean encrypted iMessages (not sms) that optionally can be stored in the cloud?

While google openly admit to reading your e mails

There’s many things you can accuse Apple of. But low security and in particular privacy are not one of them.
  • You mean encrypted iMessages (not sms) that optionally can be stored in the cloud?

There’s many things you can accuse Apple of. But low security and in particular privacy are not one of them.
  • Don't ask me, I'm positively anti single 'eco-system'.

My Desktop computer's a Windows 10 PC from Overclockers.

My Tablet's an iPad 4

My phone's a OnePlus 3

Oddly, Kate's got a Google Nexus Tablet, and an iPhone SE.

Personally, If you are leaving Apple, I would heartily recommend OnePlus, or if you want to save some money and are happy to buy from Carphone Warehouse - their 'stablemate' Oppo.

Sadly OnePlus isn't quite the 'giant-killer' it used to be.

One thing I would ask.

How long do you tend to keep your phone?

Apple tends to provide iOS updates for 4-5 years.

Andriod tends to only be 3 years, although you can root some manufacturers if so inclined.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    So far as I understand it, they didn't admit to 'reading' them, they admitted to keyword scanning them - not quite the same thing, an algorithm picking up keywords, upon which google bases your ads, does not understand the contents of your whole email.

It would be a bit like scanning this thread for 'keywords' and only see the result, not the original post, they'd know you said something - but not the context.

To be fair, their keyword scanning, at least based on the ads I've received, both before they removed the keyword scanning, and since they stopped the practice in 2017, must be fairly useless, in the years I've been with google, I've very rarely had an advert that actually interests me.

Unlike Facebook, which after a period of offering me ads for things I have no interest in, are now following my every move - the link between what I search for at Argos, and what I get as Amazon ads on Facebook is frightening.

Last edited by Gwyndy; 20-05-19 at 11:42.
  • Don't ask me, I'm positively anti single 'eco-system'.

My Desktop computer's a Windows 10 PC from Overclockers.

My Tablet's an iPad 4

My phone's a OnePlus 3

Oddly, Kate's got a Google Nexus Tablet, and an iPhone SE.

Personally, If you are leaving Apple, I would heartily recommend OnePlus, or if you want to save some money and are happy to buy from Carphone Warehouse - their 'stablemate' Oppo.

Sadly OnePlus isn't quite the 'giant-killer' it used to be.

One thing I would ask.

How long do you tend to keep your phone?

Apple tends to provide iOS updates for 4-5 years.

Andriod tends to only be 3 years, although you can root some manufacturers if so inclined.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    So far as I understand it, they didn't admit to 'reading' them, they admitted to keyword scanning them - not quite the same thing, an algorithm picking up keywords, upon which google bases your ads, does not understand the contents of your whole email.

It would be a bit like scanning this thread for 'keywords' and only see the result, not the original post, they'd know you said something - but not the context.

To be fair, their keyword scanning, at least based on the ads I've received, both before they removed the keyword scanning, and since they stopped the practice in 2017, must be fairly useless, in the years I've been with google, I've very rarely had an advert that actually interests me.

Unlike Facebook, which after a period of offering me ads for things I have no interest in, are now following my every move - the link between what I search for at Argos, and what I get as Amazon ads on Facebook is frightening.

• Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post

Agree @Gwyndy I had the 'original' OnePlus One many many years ago! That's what I used before an iPhone. It was OK, brill to start with but got a bit buggy after a year. Had to restart it a lot.
    I'm sure they're more reliable these days. They're on version 7 now?
    One phone I think I'll be avoiding right now is a Huawei. What is going on there?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post

Agree @Gwyndy I had the 'original' OnePlus One many many years ago! That's what I used before an iPhone. It was OK, brill to start with but got a bit buggy after a year. Had to restart it a lot.
    One phone I think I'll be avoiding right now is a Huawei. What is going on there?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• I think there's an ecosystem lesson for us all in the hoowhey (feel free to correct that) story and Google being forced to remove Android support. Not sure quite what the lesson is other than as once you commit to an ecosystem your life is in their hands.
    As Gwyndy says diversity is the answer, but the trade off is convenience and system integration (to which I begrudgingly admit Apple are the best)
    It's interesting to note (insofar as I understand it) that the same applies to some home automation apps (e.g. eWelink/Sonoff) you rely on a server (somewhere in China) to provide an ongoing service. I'm amazed that it doesn't seem to bother most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
  • I think there's an ecosystem lesson for us all in the hoowhey (feel free to correct that) story and Google being forced to remove Android support. Not sure quite what the lesson is other than as once you commit to an ecosystem your life is in their hands.
    As Gwyndy says diversity is the answer, but the trade off is convenience and system integration (to which I begrudgingly admit Apple are the best)
    It's interesting to note (insofar as I understand it) that the same applies to some home automation apps (e.g. eWelink/Sonoff) you rely on a server (somewhere in China) to provide an ongoing service. I'm amazed that it doesn't seem to bother most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
  • Said it before and I’ll say it again, 🍏 all the way! Never did like those Huewei phones 👎💩
    Last edited by Bev; 20-05-19 at 15:21. Reason: Itchy coconuts
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Said it before and I’ll say it again, 🍏 all the way! Never did like those Huewei phones 👎💩
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Ha Ha Huewei phone, had one for free a few years ago, weird thing and that made me go back to my old Nokia.
  • Ha Ha Huewei phone, had one for free a few years ago, weird thing and that made me go back to my old Nokia.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I've had a OnePlus 3 since 2016, the only 'issue' I've had with it is that the fingerprint sensor doesn't always read my fingerprint.
    It's been more reliable, so far, than the LG G3 it replaced, or any of the Samsung mobiles I've owned.
    The 7 was announced last week,however it's a lot more expensive £600 - £750 depending on version , I think.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I've had a OnePlus 3 since 2016, the only 'issue' I've had with it is that the fingerprint sensor doesn't always read my fingerprint.
    It's been more reliable, so far, than the LG G3 it replaced, or any of the Samsung mobiles I've owned.
    The 7 was announced last week,however it's a lot more expensive £600 - £750 depending on version , I think.