Poll: Do you prefer Apple or Google (Android) phones?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  • Question Do you prefer Apple or Google (Android) phones - and why?

Hi folks

I'm toying with the idea of making my next phone purchase a Google (Android) phone.

I've been an Apple user for about three years, but I watched some of the Google 'keynote' from their I/O conference the other day and I have to say it's amazing stuff.

The updates and speed coming to Google Assistant looks amazing! Also the live subtitles on videos, augmented reality arrows in Google Maps, ability to use the camera to visualise a dish from a restaurant's food menu, machines making your appointments.

Whereas Apple seems to be a bit preoccupied with Hollywood and fashion. And their stuff is also a bit expensive I find!

Does anyone have a preference? I've created a poll to go along with this thread, but I'd be really interested to hear why you may prefer one over another.
    Last edited by Marc; 14-05-19 at 13:56.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi folks

I'm toying with the idea of making my next phone purchase a Google (Android) phone.

I've been an Apple user for about three years, but I watched some of the Google 'keynote' from their I/O conference the other day and I have to say it's amazing stuff.

The updates and speed coming to Google Assistant looks amazing! Also the live subtitles on videos, augmented reality arrows in Google Maps, ability to use the camera to visualise a dish from a restaurant's food menu, machines making your appointments.

Whereas Apple seems to be a bit preoccupied with Hollywood and fashion. And their stuff is also a bit expensive I find!

Does anyone have a preference? I've created a poll to go along with this thread, but I'd be really interested to hear why you may prefer one over another.

• If you've already invested heavily in 1 'system' then you might as well stay there, unless you can afford to change everything. For example, if you have an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, bought lots on iTunes etc then you may as well stay with Apple.

Conversely, the same applies if you've invested in a load of Android devices/apps already however at least here you can change manufacturer easily enough and the sheer number of Android based devices available is phenomenal. Plus you don't have to pay full on premium prices to get all/most of the features that a top of the range Samsung/Apple device might offer.

In our house we have 3 Android phones, 4 Android tablets, various kit that works easily with free (or cheap) Android Apps. With the Android Family library you can link various accounts together and only pay once for the App, yet have it on multiple devices configured for different people. (No clue whether Apple does this or not).

Where you don't have that level of buy in, you can change to whatever you like, whenever you like, and know you can change as your finances allow.

(Android all the way!!)
  • If you've already invested heavily in 1 'system' then you might as well stay there, unless you can afford to change everything. For example, if you have an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, bought lots on iTunes etc then you may as well stay with Apple.

Conversely, the same applies if you've invested in a load of Android devices/apps already however at least here you can change manufacturer easily enough and the sheer number of Android based devices available is phenomenal. Plus you don't have to pay full on premium prices to get all/most of the features that a top of the range Samsung/Apple device might offer.

In our house we have 3 Android phones, 4 Android tablets, various kit that works easily with free (or cheap) Android Apps. With the Android Family library you can link various accounts together and only pay once for the App, yet have it on multiple devices configured for different people. (No clue whether Apple does this or not).

Where you don't have that level of buy in, you can change to whatever you like, whenever you like, and know you can change as your finances allow.

(Android all the way!!)
  • I have been using an android phone almost since smartphones came out.
    Unlike Apple, android phones come from numerous manufacturers, and you don't have to pay premium prices to own one. My current phone, a Moto G5s was bought new last year for about Β£150, and while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Samsung, I wouldn't use all those features anyway..
    If you know what features you want, and you are not a brand snob, you can research and get a phone for a reasonable price
    Last edited by Duppy; 14-05-19 at 15:05.
  • I have been using an android phone almost since smartphones came out.
    Unlike Apple, android phones come from numerous manufacturers, and you don't have to pay premium prices to own one. My current phone, a Moto G5s was bought new last year for about Β£150, and while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Samsung, I wouldn't use all those features anyway..
    If you know what features you want, and you are not a brand snob, you can research and get a phone for a reasonable price
  • Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    I have been using an android phone almost since smartphones came out.
    Β£150! @Duppy that's what I like to hear.
    I did have a bit of an attempt to use a Pixel 3 earlier this year. A small fault meant a week of hassle with Google's support team. And that's the so-called 'flagship' Android device.

What's also made me get interested again is the 3a they also announced.

• Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    I have been using an android phone almost since smartphones came out.
    Β£150! @Duppy that's what I like to hear.
    I did have a bit of an attempt to use a Pixel 3 earlier this year. A small fault meant a week of hassle with Google's support team. And that's the so-called 'flagship' Android device.

What's also made me get interested again is the 3a they also announced.

• Moto G phones are a great shout. We have been through the original G, then G3 and G5. I wonder if one of the G7 variants is on the card next

I also like the Honor phones at present too....
  • Moto G phones are a great shout. We have been through the original G, then G3 and G5. I wonder if one of the G7 variants is on the card next

I also like the Honor phones at present too....
  • Never invested in phones and will use what ever is it hand and turn off all the smart stuff.
    We have 2 iPads and a Mac Pro all classed as antique.
    I preferred the Apple Mac to PC, its more slick and top customer support with far less updates.

However I'm interested on which android tablet to consider v investing in another iPad.
    Hardly use iTunes,

Interesting posts and sorry my need is out of kilter with the thread
  • Never invested in phones and will use what ever is it hand and turn off all the smart stuff.
    I preferred the Apple Mac to PC, its more slick and top customer support with far less updates.

However I'm interested on which android tablet to consider v investing in another iPad.
    Hardly use iTunes,

• Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Never invested in phones and will use what ever is it hand and turn off all the smart stuff.

Hardly use iTunes,

If you are in any way into Amazon, especially with Prime, Kindle, Audible etc, then the Amazon Fire HD 8 or 10 tablets are worth looking at. Even though Google Play (AppStore) is not on them by default, you can get it added quite easily. To be honest they are worth a look even if you are not that into Amazon.

At the premium end of Android tablets are the Samsung Galaxy Tab's.

And again, tons of other brands in between.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Never invested in phones and will use what ever is it hand and turn off all the smart stuff.

Hardly use iTunes,

If you are in any way into Amazon, especially with Prime, Kindle, Audible etc, then the Amazon Fire HD 8 or 10 tablets are worth looking at. Even though Google Play (AppStore) is not on them by default, you can get it added quite easily. To be honest they are worth a look even if you are not that into Amazon.

At the premium end of Android tablets are the Samsung Galaxy Tab's.

And again, tons of other brands in between.
  • Thanks Jenam93,

Funny thing we have an old apple tv box we never used, cos we purchased a TV with internet access.
    The amazon prime offer seemed a good idea so we now use apple tv for that and Netflix.

I will check out the Samsung Tablets and do some tablet research.

Cheers!
  • Thanks Jenam93,

Funny thing we have an old apple tv box we never used, cos we purchased a TV with internet access.
    The amazon prime offer seemed a good idea so we now use apple tv for that and Netflix.

I will check out the Samsung Tablets and do some tablet research.

Cheers!
  • Apple for me - from way back when it was cool to like Apple, rather cool to slate them.

My computer hardware last years and, barring my battery only lasting 2 hours instead of the original 7 or 8 after six years heavy use, I'm still using it and it's as fast as day one. Well faster, I have an SSD now. I'm tempted by a new one but this just work. The fact the software works smoothly with my phone in the ecosystem is a massive plus. Sending iMessage etc via my laptop is so convenient when I'm working. And as it's based around UNIX there are some under the hood comamands that can make life easy for a geek too.

for the iPhone I bought in from day one, well at least when the 3G came out. I want a phone that I don't have to hack / adjust every single settings (weird for me that, being a geek) and the App Store works very very well. I also feel it's a more secure system being a walled garden approach.

The things I don't use Apple for is Home smart/voice control - they've missed the boat on that IMO. ALexa and Google are ahead by miles and even if the hardware of Apple is better, people want low cost multiple devices. certainly the masses do, myself included.

Be interesting to see where they go with AppleTV and TV content/streaming service. They have infrastructure there but again, Alexa/google are already built in to many TV's now and can be voice controlled easily.
  • Apple for me - from way back when it was cool to like Apple, rather cool to slate them.

My computer hardware last years and, barring my battery only lasting 2 hours instead of the original 7 or 8 after six years heavy use, I'm still using it and it's as fast as day one. Well faster, I have an SSD now. I'm tempted by a new one but this just work. The fact the software works smoothly with my phone in the ecosystem is a massive plus. Sending iMessage etc via my laptop is so convenient when I'm working. And as it's based around UNIX there are some under the hood comamands that can make life easy for a geek too.

for the iPhone I bought in from day one, well at least when the 3G came out. I want a phone that I don't have to hack / adjust every single settings (weird for me that, being a geek) and the App Store works very very well. I also feel it's a more secure system being a walled garden approach.

The things I don't use Apple for is Home smart/voice control - they've missed the boat on that IMO. ALexa and Google are ahead by miles and even if the hardware of Apple is better, people want low cost multiple devices. certainly the masses do, myself included.

Be interesting to see where they go with AppleTV and TV content/streaming service. They have infrastructure there but again, Alexa/google are already built in to many TV's now and can be voice controlled easily.
  • I bought my iPad around five years ago I think, and adore 🍏. Tried other tablets and Samsung smartphones, didn’t like after 🍏. Tried a Huwei smartphone. Didn’t like. So deffo, my next phone sometime very soon, is the iphone XR πŸ‘. Like the iPad, I know it’ll be reliable and long lasting πŸ™πŸ‘
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I bought my iPad around five years ago I think, and adore 🍏. Tried other tablets and Samsung smartphones, didn’t like after 🍏. Tried a Huwei smartphone. Didn’t like. So deffo, my next phone sometime very soon, is the iphone XR πŸ‘. Like the iPad, I know it’ll be reliable and long lasting πŸ™πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Im just a tight arse so to me apple everything is too expensive. My samsung sends texts,emails and makes phone calls why do i need to pay more for something that does the same.πŸ˜πŸ€”πŸ€˜
  • Im just a tight arse so to me apple everything is too expensive. My samsung sends texts,emails and makes phone calls why do i need to pay more for something that does the same.πŸ˜πŸ€”πŸ€˜
  • I've always been a Samsung Girl
  • I've always been a Samsung Girl
  • Hmmm some really interesting replies so far!
    I had assumed most people would be iPhone..... so far it looks like I was wrong

• Hmmm some really interesting replies so far!
    I had assumed most people would be iPhone..... so far it looks like I was wrong

• Currently using Samsung Ace it's all the boom - A2

Sometimes use Nokia 3310 because I like the cool look (joking but true) and only accepts simple text
    Last edited by Strutt G; 16-05-19 at 10:09.
  • Currently using Samsung Ace it's all the boom - A2

Sometimes use Nokia 3310 because I like the cool look (joking but true) and only accepts simple text
  • Bought parents two yellow Nokia 3310 as technophobes. Both love em to bits! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • Bought parents two yellow Nokia 3310 as technophobes. Both love em to bits! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Bought parents two yellow Nokia 3310 as technophobes. Both love em to bits!
    Ha! Yep my folks have got Alcatel phones
    But my mum has been talking about getting a smartphone as her friends have got Whatsapp and she's feeling left out.

• Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Bought parents two yellow Nokia 3310 as technophobes. Both love em to bits!
    Ha! Yep my folks have got Alcatel phones
    But my mum has been talking about getting a smartphone as her friends have got Whatsapp and she's feeling left out.

• My partner's Apple, I'm Android. As an electronic engineer I see Apple as design over function and refuse to be controlled into doing things the Apple aay. I can plug my phone into my computer or my car or my TV and copy/play files without any constraints and no need for iTunes/iCloud rubbish.

If you're concerned about privacy then the whole iCloud/iMessage thing is a major weakness and there are plenty of dark web purveyors of tracking/monitoring service for iPhones.

I bought my S9 for Β£399 as a "refurb" - as far as I could tell there was just a scratch on the box!
  • My partner's Apple, I'm Android. As an electronic engineer I see Apple as design over function and refuse to be controlled into doing things the Apple aay. I can plug my phone into my computer or my car or my TV and copy/play files without any constraints and no need for iTunes/iCloud rubbish.

If you're concerned about privacy then the whole iCloud/iMessage thing is a major weakness and there are plenty of dark web purveyors of tracking/monitoring service for iPhones.

I bought my S9 for Β£399 as a "refurb" - as far as I could tell there was just a scratch on the box!
  • Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    That bit is absolute tosh! Android has so many security weeknesses and google are the all seeing eye who store EVERYTHING about you - consent or not.
  • Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    That bit is absolute tosh! Android has so many security weeknesses and google are the all seeing eye who store EVERYTHING about you - consent or not.
  • Not so long ago I attended a training session devoted to data security. The leader of the session was from a background where such issues are dealt with as part of the employer’s main function and thus well experienced. We were advised that an Android device is the weakest. Apple is the strongest. I am an Apple user. Used to be a PC user until about 12 to 14 years ago. Gone went all those every security updates. Viruses stopped appearing and no more blue screens when you must log out and then back in again. I need one Microsoft device to run a piece of software that won’t run on Apple. I use a Surface Go. Whilst the constant need to log out and in again has gone the daily need to update is frightening. I am sure that Google and others have many tools, apps and software that may not be available on a Mac but how often do we really need them? Most of us I bet use the same software day after to day.
    Richard
  • Not so long ago I attended a training session devoted to data security. The leader of the session was from a background where such issues are dealt with as part of the employer’s main function and thus well experienced. We were advised that an Android device is the weakest. Apple is the strongest. I am an Apple user. Used to be a PC user until about 12 to 14 years ago. Gone went all those every security updates. Viruses stopped appearing and no more blue screens when you must log out and then back in again. I need one Microsoft device to run a piece of software that won’t run on Apple. I use a Surface Go. Whilst the constant need to log out and in again has gone the daily need to update is frightening. I am sure that Google and others have many tools, apps and software that may not be available on a Mac but how often do we really need them? Most of us I bet use the same software day after to day.
    Richard
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    My text messages don't go via a Google server, do they?

I'm not saying Android phones are somehow magically more secure than any other device. And I'm not worrying about Google. I'm talking about malicious stalkers getting access to iPhone data through iCloud hacking. I speak from first hand experience as one of my partner's supposed friends monitors the iPhones of everyone in her peer group; spending a vast amount of money in the process. It's very illegal but apparently a trait of generation X is you don't grass your mates.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    My text messages don't go via a Google server, do they?

I'm not saying Android phones are somehow magically more secure than any other device. And I'm not worrying about Google. I'm talking about malicious stalkers getting access to iPhone data through iCloud hacking. I speak from first hand experience as one of my partner's supposed friends monitors the iPhones of everyone in her peer group; spending a vast amount of money in the process. It's very illegal but apparently a trait of generation X is you don't grass your mates.