• How do you say it? (the great British scone debate)

Hi everyone,

Here in the PP office we frequently debate whether we're based in 'Barth' or 'Bath' and it got me thinking...

How would you say these words? Is there a right way or a wrong way?

Scone as in gone or scone as in bone? (plus while we're on the subject of scones, is it cream then jam, or jam then cream?!)

What do you wear to bed - pajamas or pyjamas?

Do you like your coffee with 2 shots of expresso or espresso?

What other words are up for debate? Or should there be no debate at all!

Name:  cream-tea-2258336_1920.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  593.8 KB
  • Hi everyone,

Here in the PP office we frequently debate whether we're based in 'Barth' or 'Bath' and it got me thinking...

How would you say these words? Is there a right way or a wrong way?

Scone as in gone or scone as in bone? (plus while we're on the subject of scones, is it cream then jam, or jam then cream?!)

What other words are up for debate? Or should there be no debate at all!

Name:  cream-tea-2258336_1920.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  593.8 KB
  • Scone as in gone, cream then jam

Wear in bed. Nothing

Coffee. Instant, can't be fussed with all different coffees, it's a nightmare if I go in a coffee shop with my daughter, the staff just look at me when I ask for a coffee with water and a bit of milk

Then there is the shop Lidl, I pronounce it lid-l not lie-dl
  • Scone as in gone, cream then jam

Wear in bed. Nothing

Coffee. Instant, can't be fussed with all different coffees, it's a nightmare if I go in a coffee shop with my daughter, the staff just look at me when I ask for a coffee with water and a bit of milk

• Barf, espresso, scone not fussed which gets pasted first as longs as theres no shortage of the finest clotted cream.
    I like tomato you like tomata.....
    Last edited by Strutt G; 13-05-19 at 19:00.
  • Barf, espresso, scone not fussed which gets pasted first as longs as theres no shortage of the finest clotted cream.
    I like tomato you like tomata.....
  • Deffo scone as in bone.

Bath not Barth!

espresso 👍☕️

Pretty sure it should be cream followed by the Jam but don’t eat so not fussed 🍮😂

Deffo pyjamas or PJs

Agree Duppy, most certainly Lidl as in LID.

Great debate, Nat 👍👍👍👏👏👏😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Deffo scone as in bone.

Bath not Barth!

espresso 👍☕️

Pretty sure it should be cream followed by the Jam but don’t eat so not fussed 🍮😂

Deffo pyjamas or PJs

Agree Duppy, most certainly Lidl as in LID.

Great debate, Nat 👍👍👍👏👏👏😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • A few I can think of, are :

Hummus or Who Mus (I say Who mus and think that’s correct 👍👏🙃)

Foot stool, is it a POOF or PUFF 😂😂😂 (steady!). I say Poof, rhyming with hoof

Nougat - Is it Nugget or New Gar? Nugget, right?

Finally Aunt Fanny. Is it Aren’t or Ant? Most definitely Aren’t 👍👍👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • A few I can think of, are :

Hummus or Who Mus (I say Who mus and think that’s correct 👍👏🙃)

Foot stool, is it a POOF or PUFF 😂😂😂 (steady!). I say Poof, rhyming with hoof

Finally Aunt Fanny. Is it Aren’t or Ant? Most definitely Aren’t 👍👍👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    Good one! I didn't even know there were different ways of saying Lidl yes definitely Lid-l for me too!

Aah see @Bev I reckon it's scone as in gone... agree with espresso and Bath though

I say who-mus too but then IMO it's defo new-gar!
    I'm just loving imagining if those words were really spelt that way
  • Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    Good one! I didn't even know there were different ways of saying Lidl yes definitely Lid-l for me too!

Aah see @Bev I reckon it's scone as in gone... agree with espresso and Bath though

I say who-mus too but then IMO it's defo new-gar!
    I'm just loving imagining if those words were really spelt that way
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Here in the PP office we frequently debate whether we're based in 'Barth' or 'Bath' and it got me thinking...How would you say these words? Is there a right way or a wrong way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Scone as in 'bone,' Jam then cream - it's an easier spread for the jam - waits for the screams of 'sacrilege'.
    T-shirt PJs - hold the Duncan. Original usage was pyjama (although the word we got it from is payjama.)
    Depends: The guy on Wikipedia pronounces it 'expresso' - which is from the French, not the Italian. The inventor was Italian, there's no 'x' in the Italian alphabet, so personally, I'd say 'espresso' somewhere along the line I guess we mixed the French and Italian words. [
    Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    ​It's 'Lid-l' if it were 'Lie-dl' then you could not get 'a Lid-l more for a Lid-l less' it would not make sense. There's a song about the place, but as it contains 'Irish Swearing' you can find it yourselves. ​
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    A few I can think of, are :
    Hummus or Who Mus (I say Who mus and think that’s correct ���������������� �)
    Who Mus
    Foot stool, is it a POOF or PUFF ���������������� � (steady!). I say Poof, rhyming with hoof
    Poof
    New Gar
    Finally Aunt Fanny. Is it Aren’t or Ant? Most definitely Aren’t ���������������� �

And My contribution to the discussion:

Aldi - is it Al-di or All-di?
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 05-06-19 at 00:07. Reason: Why do I have 2 'originally quoted by Nataly' and 2 'originally quoted by Bev' when there's only 1 [quote=][/quote] for each of those, not 2
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Here in the PP office we frequently debate whether we're based in 'Barth' or 'Bath' and it got me thinking...How would you say these words? Is there a right way or a wrong way?
    Scone as in 'bone,' Jam then cream - it's an easier spread for the jam - waits for the screams of 'sacrilege'.
    T-shirt PJs - hold the Duncan. Original usage was pyjama (although the word we got it from is payjama.)
    Depends: The guy on Wikipedia pronounces it 'expresso' - which is from the French, not the Italian. The inventor was Italian, there's no 'x' in the Italian alphabet, so personally, I'd say 'espresso' somewhere along the line I guess we mixed the French and Italian words. [
    Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    ​It's 'Lid-l' if it were 'Lie-dl' then you could not get 'a Lid-l more for a Lid-l less' it would not make sense. There's a song about the place, but as it contains 'Irish Swearing' you can find it yourselves. ​
    A few I can think of, are :
    Hummus or Who Mus (I say Who mus and think that’s correct ���������������� �)
    Who Mus
    Foot stool, is it a POOF or PUFF ���������������� � (steady!). I say Poof, rhyming with hoof
    Poof
    New Gar
    Finally Aunt Fanny. Is it Aren’t or Ant? Most definitely Aren’t ���������������� �

And My contribution to the discussion:

Aldi - is it Al-di or All-di?
  • Scone as in gone.
    jam first then cream...much easier.

puffy not poof....That's the Geordie in me!

​ant for aunt.
  • Scone as in gone.

​ant for aunt.
  • I had to go for 'poof,' although arguably from what I recall, in the Welsh accent, or at least the Amman Valley's one' it's not really like that, it was just the nearest of the two - it was probably more like 'pwf-ay'

However, I'm going by memory from how my parents used to pronounce it in the 1970s/80s

Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    Scone as in gone.

​ant for aunt.
  • I had to go for 'poof,' although arguably from what I recall, in the Welsh accent, or at least the Amman Valley's one' it's not really like that, it was just the nearest of the two - it was probably more like 'pwf-ay'

However, I'm going by memory from how my parents used to pronounce it in the 1970s/80s

Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    Scone as in gone.

​ant for aunt.