Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• hi MrSmart
    Just donning my flak jacket and hard hat for this one.

Given the cac-handed way that the SM project has been mismanaged to the tune of £ millions of wasted taxpayers money, it's not hard to see why "The struggling image of the Smart Meter rollout" is well deserved. The press don't really need to do much to fuel it.

You may well have to give permission to the supplier, and you can audit as much as you like, but some people have concerns about where their data is going and what it's going to be used for. As far as I'm aware, and I haven't had the pleasure of reading one of the permission forms yet to see who it covers, (perhaps you have a sample?), the data first goes to the DCC which is privately run by the Capita group, before it then goes off to either Arquiva ( who run lots of TV transmitters) or Telefonica (Spanish owned mobile phones and data communications - think O2), before it reaches energy suppliers or other "authorised" parties.

As far as the every 30 minutes part is concerned, I don't really see what difference it makes to the argument as to whether they are measuring how much you use in 30 minutes or providing a reading of the previous 30 mins consumption. I agree the DM story sensationalised it, but hey, that's what you expect from the DM.

I also agree that the article didn't ask the question "What's the point of having a smart meter if you aren't going to allow the data to be used?"

I think the question that's not being addressed in the press is, having rolled out this multi-million pound project, who will benefit? (Assuming it ever works properly)
    The initial benefit is that people won't have to provide meter readings, but then they didn't have to provide them in the first place, a dodgy looking bloke (maybe there are blokesses too?) used to turn up and read the meter (or rob you depending on whether they were genuine), so perhaps a bit of a benefit there but not for the dodgy looking blokes who lost their jobs.

Beneficial tariffs based on data? Maybe...one day...

Smart meters do not provide the only data available to the grid in real-time, they just enable finer parsing of the data.

If the data were easily available to the consumer and could be integrated with IFTTT or similar, then there is a whole raft of possibilities...

So in answer to your buggedness, chill and de-bug - I don't see the project being scrapped (yet), you're safe for now.
  • hi MrSmart
    Just donning my flak jacket and hard hat for this one.

Given the cac-handed way that the SM project has been mismanaged to the tune of £ millions of wasted taxpayers money, it's not hard to see why "The struggling image of the Smart Meter rollout" is well deserved. The press don't really need to do much to fuel it.

You may well have to give permission to the supplier, and you can audit as much as you like, but some people have concerns about where their data is going and what it's going to be used for. As far as I'm aware, and I haven't had the pleasure of reading one of the permission forms yet to see who it covers, (perhaps you have a sample?), the data first goes to the DCC which is privately run by the Capita group, before it then goes off to either Arquiva ( who run lots of TV transmitters) or Telefonica (Spanish owned mobile phones and data communications - think O2), before it reaches energy suppliers or other "authorised" parties.

As far as the every 30 minutes part is concerned, I don't really see what difference it makes to the argument as to whether they are measuring how much you use in 30 minutes or providing a reading of the previous 30 mins consumption. I agree the DM story sensationalised it, but hey, that's what you expect from the DM.

I also agree that the article didn't ask the question "What's the point of having a smart meter if you aren't going to allow the data to be used?"

I think the question that's not being addressed in the press is, having rolled out this multi-million pound project, who will benefit? (Assuming it ever works properly)
    The initial benefit is that people won't have to provide meter readings, but then they didn't have to provide them in the first place, a dodgy looking bloke (maybe there are blokesses too?) used to turn up and read the meter (or rob you depending on whether they were genuine), so perhaps a bit of a benefit there but not for the dodgy looking blokes who lost their jobs.

Beneficial tariffs based on data? Maybe...one day...

Smart meters do not provide the only data available to the grid in real-time, they just enable finer parsing of the data.

If the data were easily available to the consumer and could be integrated with IFTTT or similar, then there is a whole raft of possibilities...

So in answer to your buggedness, chill and de-bug - I don't see the project being scrapped (yet), you're safe for now.