• How eco-friendly are you? 12 steps to help the planet

The Times recently published a Do’s and Don’ts list of eco-living - which of these do you already do? What’re the top tips to make these changes easier (the easier it is to live ‘greener’, the more people will do it!)

12 small steps on the journey to an eco-friendly life...

Fashion

1. wear everything at least 30 times
    2. wash clothes less - each laundry cycle releases plastics into our waterways
    3. share/trade your clothes

Name:  close-up-equipment-hand-1321725.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1.55 MB

Food

4. give up meat (or at least, eat less red meat, go 'flexitarian')

5. keep chocolate as a treat - cocoa plantations drive deforestation
    6. go palm-oil free - this includes ingredients palmitoyl, stearyl, lauryl and glyceryl
    7. use up leftovers and freeze extra food to eat at a later date
    8. eat less avocado! A harder one for all the brunch-lovers out there..

Name:  avocado-delicious-diet-1321942.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  2.51 MB

Plastic

9. use refillable coffee cups and water bottles
    10. buy canned pet food, as pouches can fuse 9 different plastics and make them difficult to recycle
    11. ensure you recycle as much as poss (and so avoid black plastic)
    12. look out for ‘unwrapped’ fruit and veg in supermarkets

Name:  bottles-container-daylight-802221.jpg
Size:  798.6 KB

What other steps should be included?

There’s plenty of helpful content here on the Community too - including conversation on
    what kind of plastic can you recycle?, tips on being energy-efficient and a great thread started by @NannyOgg with a range of environmentally friendly companies, including clothing, shaving and cleaning products!
    Last edited by Nataly; 09-05-19 at 14:21.
  • The Times recently published a Do’s and Don’ts list of eco-living - which of these do you already do? What’re the top tips to make these changes easier (the easier it is to live ‘greener’, the more people will do it!)

12 small steps on the journey to an eco-friendly life...

Fashion

Name:  close-up-equipment-hand-1321725.jpg
Size:  1.55 MB

Food

4. give up meat (or at least, eat less red meat, go 'flexitarian')

5. keep chocolate as a treat - cocoa plantations drive deforestation
    6. go palm-oil free - this includes ingredients palmitoyl, stearyl, lauryl and glyceryl
    7. use up leftovers and freeze extra food to eat at a later date
    8. eat less avocado! A harder one for all the brunch-lovers out there..

Name:  avocado-delicious-diet-1321942.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  2.51 MB

Plastic

9. use refillable coffee cups and water bottles
    10. buy canned pet food, as pouches can fuse 9 different plastics and make them difficult to recycle
    11. ensure you recycle as much as poss (and so avoid black plastic)
    12. look out for ‘unwrapped’ fruit and veg in supermarkets

Name:  bottles-container-daylight-802221.jpg
Size:  798.6 KB

What other steps should be included?

There’s plenty of helpful content here on the Community too - including conversation on
    what kind of plastic can you recycle?, tips on being energy-efficient and a great thread started by @NannyOgg with a range of environmentally friendly companies, including clothing, shaving and cleaning products!
  • Brilliant post @Nataly.
  • Brilliant post @Nataly.
  • Agree Nanny Ogg 👍👏
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Agree Nanny Ogg 👍👏

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    The Times recently published a Do’s and Don’ts list of eco-living - which of these do you already do? What’re the top tips to make these changes easier (the easier it is to live ‘greener’, the more people will do it!) 12 small steps on the journey to an eco-friendly life... Fashion 1. wear everything at least 30 times 2. wash clothes less - each laundry cycle releases plastics into our waterways 3. share/trade your clothes
    I read '1' and '2' together, and thought they were talking about wearing something 30 times before washing it. The concept of wearing something less than 30 times, unless it's a suit, or deliberately disposable, seems very odd to me - must be my age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Food 4. give up meat (or at least, eat less red meat, go 'flexitarian') 5. keep chocolate as a treat - cocoa plantations drive deforestation 6. go palm-oil free - this includes ingredients palmitoyl, stearyl, lauryl and glyceryl 7. use up leftovers and freeze extra food to eat at a later date 8. eat less avocado! A harder one for all the brunch-lovers out there..
    4: Trying, but have you seen how many 'Vegan' alternatives have gluten in? It's a nightmare. 5: You will have to pry my 70% cocoa from my 'cold dead hands' 8: Seriously - Marmite! Need I say more?
    Plastic 9. use refillable coffee cups and water bottles 10. buy canned pet food, as pouches can fuse 9 different plastics and make them difficult to recycle 11. ensure you recycle as much as poss (and so avoid black plastic) 12. look out for ‘unwrapped’ fruit and veg in supermarkets
    1o: This is my biggest sin, but for the life of me I cannot get my eldest cat to eat anything other than Felix 'Extra Gravy' and even then, he only licks up the ruddy gravy. What I need is someone to sell tinned, or even bottled 'cat food gravy'. 11: Surely the object should be to have less to recycle in the first place? To be honest, I didn't even realize I could put the pouches out for recycling afterwards.
    What other steps should be included? There’s plenty of helpful content here on the Community too - including conversation on what kind of plastic can you recycle?, tips on being energy-efficient and a great thread started by @NannyOgg with a range of environmentally friendly companies, including clothing, shaving and cleaning products!
    I would like to see a Japanese style system, where waste is weighed, and charged for/refunded based on the amount of rubbish/recycling you have. ​
    Last edited by Gwyndy; 10-05-19 at 01:37.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    The Times recently published a Do’s and Don’ts list of eco-living - which of these do you already do? What’re the top tips to make these changes easier (the easier it is to live ‘greener’, the more people will do it!) 12 small steps on the journey to an eco-friendly life... Fashion 1. wear everything at least 30 times 2. wash clothes less - each laundry cycle releases plastics into our waterways 3. share/trade your clothes
    I read '1' and '2' together, and thought they were talking about wearing something 30 times before washing it. The concept of wearing something less than 30 times, unless it's a suit, or deliberately disposable, seems very odd to me - must be my age.
    Food 4. give up meat (or at least, eat less red meat, go 'flexitarian') 5. keep chocolate as a treat - cocoa plantations drive deforestation 6. go palm-oil free - this includes ingredients palmitoyl, stearyl, lauryl and glyceryl 7. use up leftovers and freeze extra food to eat at a later date 8. eat less avocado! A harder one for all the brunch-lovers out there..
    4: Trying, but have you seen how many 'Vegan' alternatives have gluten in? It's a nightmare. 5: You will have to pry my 70% cocoa from my 'cold dead hands' 8: Seriously - Marmite! Need I say more?
    Plastic 9. use refillable coffee cups and water bottles 10. buy canned pet food, as pouches can fuse 9 different plastics and make them difficult to recycle 11. ensure you recycle as much as poss (and so avoid black plastic) 12. look out for ‘unwrapped’ fruit and veg in supermarkets
    1o: This is my biggest sin, but for the life of me I cannot get my eldest cat to eat anything other than Felix 'Extra Gravy' and even then, he only licks up the ruddy gravy. What I need is someone to sell tinned, or even bottled 'cat food gravy'. 11: Surely the object should be to have less to recycle in the first place? To be honest, I didn't even realize I could put the pouches out for recycling afterwards.
    What other steps should be included? There’s plenty of helpful content here on the Community too - including conversation on what kind of plastic can you recycle?, tips on being energy-efficient and a great thread started by @NannyOgg with a range of environmentally friendly companies, including clothing, shaving and cleaning products!
    I would like to see a Japanese style system, where waste is weighed, and charged for/refunded based on the amount of rubbish/recycling you have. ​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post

Ha, I thought the same thing @Gwyndy
    I do have a tuxedo that I bought for a posh work do a few years ago. So it's been worn..... once. In hindsight I should have rented it.
    Another thing that The Times article mentioned was not to buy or wear fleeces. As least not if you plan to wash it, as doing so releases loads of plastic microfibres into the water system > ending up in the oceans etc.
    (Also the article said we should ditch the fleece for "sartorial" reasons too! )
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndy View Post

Ha, I thought the same thing @Gwyndy
    I do have a tuxedo that I bought for a posh work do a few years ago. So it's been worn..... once. In hindsight I should have rented it.
    Another thing that The Times article mentioned was not to buy or wear fleeces. As least not if you plan to wash it, as doing so releases loads of plastic microfibres into the water system > ending up in the oceans etc.
    (Also the article said we should ditch the fleece for "sartorial" reasons too! )
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Thank the Lord it wasn't just me who thought that @Gwyndy and @Marc. I wasn't sure if I had lost the plot or my blue hair was having an adverse affect on my reading skills lol!!
  • Thank the Lord it wasn't just me who thought that @Gwyndy and @Marc. I wasn't sure if I had lost the plot or my blue hair was having an adverse affect on my reading skills lol!!
  • I've popped this info onto the Links to Ethical companies but thought it worth popping on here too. Brita do recycling via certain stores.

https://www.recyclenow.com/what-to-d...ater-filters-1
  • I've popped this info onto the Links to Ethical companies but thought it worth popping on here too. Brita do recycling via certain stores.

https://www.recyclenow.com/what-to-d...ater-filters-1
  • That's great @NannyOgg thanks how do you find so many links?!

Fashion

​There were Extinction Rebellion protests in Bristol recently - one of the main focuses was fashion waste, with lots of second-hand clothing to swap or give away to people as they passed by.
    They also wanted people to sign up to not buy any new clothes for 1 year.

Would you be able to avoid buying clothes for that long, and up-cycle instead?
  • That's great @NannyOgg thanks how do you find so many links?!

Fashion

​There were Extinction Rebellion protests in Bristol recently - one of the main focuses was fashion waste, with lots of second-hand clothing to swap or give away to people as they passed by.
    They also wanted people to sign up to not buy any new clothes for 1 year.

Would you be able to avoid buying clothes for that long, and up-cycle instead?
  • Absolutely LOVE giving clothes to charity and those in need, but not sure I could avoid buying new clothes for one year. Prob could if tried hard, but lots of my clothes I donate are like new. If I didn’t buy new, I’d have less to donate so ......

WALT WHITMAN
  • Absolutely LOVE giving clothes to charity and those in need, but not sure I could avoid buying new clothes for one year. Prob could if tried hard, but lots of my clothes I donate are like new. If I didn’t buy new, I’d have less to donate so ......

WALT WHITMAN