• Madonna is 60! Share your music icons!

Madonna celebrates her 60th, yes SIXTIETH!!!!!!!!, birthday this Thursday! Hard to believe isn’t it?!

I, for one, have always been a huge huge huge Madge fan from day one, back in early 1980s. Less so now, but still have to admit I’m a massive fan.

Thought be a good time to ask, what are your memories of music icons growing up?

So, who did you love to bop to, or play full blast in your bedroom?

Are you still a fan now? Are they still going strong now, even?!

Were you lucky enough to see them perform live?

I shall start by saying my absolute favourites through my teenage years in the 80s were :

Madonna - Queen of pop herself. Bought every 7”, 12”, lots of her picture discs (this will mean nothing to those under 30 )

Yes still a fan now of course, but she’s sometimes bordering on cringe, and should prob now call it a day, having almost reached the big six oh! She’s way way way proved herself.

Saw her live 5 times, thrice Wembley, twice Cardiff. Ultra superb every time. Mind blowing. Don’t think anyone will come close, so treasure those gig memories for life .

T’Pau - my very very very first gig with 6th form friends. 1987, aged 17. Small intimate venue, edge of Birmingham. Special because my first time ever seeing a live performance. China In Your Hand still remains one of my all time favourite records

Wham! - with regard to bopping in bedroom, these were the guys. My bedroom walls AND ceiling were totally covered in their posters! There was not a single bit of wallpaper showing! I beyond ADORED these two, but especially George . My biggest regret was not seeing “The Final” their farewell gig at Wembley in 1986. I cried when my mum said no. My friends were all 17 and I was still 16. To this day, she says she feels sad she said no, but at the time she felt it was too far to go without adults. My friends filled me in, but I’ll always regret not being able to go myself.

Music was absolutely MASSIVE back then. With technology and streaming etc, it’s changed an awful lot, and I don’t think music, the charts, the radio, any of that, will ever have the impact it had back then. I feel lucky and blessed to have had the childhood in the era I did.

Share your music memories!
    Last edited by Bev; 11-08-18 at 11:29. Reason: Need to move to OFF TOPIC - sorry Marc, can you do it for me?
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Madonna celebrates her 60th, yes SIXTIETH!!!!!!!!, birthday this Thursday! Hard to believe isn’t it?!

I, for one, have always been a huge huge huge Madge fan from day one, back in early 1980s. Less so now, but still have to admit I’m a massive fan.

Thought be a good time to ask, what are your memories of music icons growing up?

So, who did you love to bop to, or play full blast in your bedroom?

Are you still a fan now? Are they still going strong now, even?!

Were you lucky enough to see them perform live?

I shall start by saying my absolute favourites through my teenage years in the 80s were :

Madonna - Queen of pop herself. Bought every 7”, 12”, lots of her picture discs (this will mean nothing to those under 30 )

Yes still a fan now of course, but she’s sometimes bordering on cringe, and should prob now call it a day, having almost reached the big six oh! She’s way way way proved herself.

Saw her live 5 times, thrice Wembley, twice Cardiff. Ultra superb every time. Mind blowing. Don’t think anyone will come close, so treasure those gig memories for life .

T’Pau - my very very very first gig with 6th form friends. 1987, aged 17. Small intimate venue, edge of Birmingham. Special because my first time ever seeing a live performance. China In Your Hand still remains one of my all time favourite records

Wham! - with regard to bopping in bedroom, these were the guys. My bedroom walls AND ceiling were totally covered in their posters! There was not a single bit of wallpaper showing! I beyond ADORED these two, but especially George . My biggest regret was not seeing “The Final” their farewell gig at Wembley in 1986. I cried when my mum said no. My friends were all 17 and I was still 16. To this day, she says she feels sad she said no, but at the time she felt it was too far to go without adults. My friends filled me in, but I’ll always regret not being able to go myself.

Music was absolutely MASSIVE back then. With technology and streaming etc, it’s changed an awful lot, and I don’t think music, the charts, the radio, any of that, will ever have the impact it had back then. I feel lucky and blessed to have had the childhood in the era I did.

Share your music memories!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Madonna is 60?! Now I really am starting to feel old....
    I owned True Blue (on a cassette tape!!)

I was also into A-ha, Curiosity Killed the Cat, Beastie Boys, Michael Jackson of course...

And then Guns n Roses came along and changed everything for me Rock n Roll!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	200 
Size:	350.7 KB 
ID:	1040
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Madonna is 60?! Now I really am starting to feel old....
    I owned True Blue (on a cassette tape!!)

I was also into A-ha, Curiosity Killed the Cat, Beastie Boys, Michael Jackson of course...

And then Guns n Roses came along and changed everything for me Rock n Roll!!

Views:	200 
Size:	350.7 KB 
ID:	1040

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • I don’t care for your GIFs much LOL , that’s giving me a right headache just watching it!!!

Other than Guns n Roses tho, the rest were all in my singles and albums collections too, Marc

WALT WHITMAN
  • I don’t care for your GIFs much LOL , that’s giving me a right headache just watching it!!!

Other than Guns n Roses tho, the rest were all in my singles and albums collections too, Marc

WALT WHITMAN
  • Did you see the film Desperately Seeking Susan?

Views:	157 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1047

It came out in..... 1985

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Did you see the film Desperately Seeking Susan?

Views:	157 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1047

It came out in..... 1985

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • I adore this film sooooooooooo much! Watched it sooooooooooo many times! Into The Groove is still one of my all time fave Madonna tracks, and she was how every 16 year old schoolgirl tried to look back in 85! Lacey gloves and headbands! Memories!

WALT WHITMAN
  • I adore this film sooooooooooo much! Watched it sooooooooooo many times! Into The Groove is still one of my all time fave Madonna tracks, and she was how every 16 year old schoolgirl tried to look back in 85! Lacey gloves and headbands! Memories!

WALT WHITMAN
  • HAHA 1985 MY FIRST WEMBLEY CONCERT.
    now yes by now madonna was out there and getting noticed. I do love madonna and seen her live shows on 4 occasions however springsteen has to be my all time fav. Now july 4th 1985 not only sticks in my memory as my first wembley concert paid with by my first pay cheque at my first real job. Yes it was a springsteen concert which as a almost 17yr old mother insisted i had to go with my eldest brother and a couple of his mates.just to be safe
    In those days drinking too much was allowed at wembley and after the concert walking back to the tube station brendon was accosted by some Scouser flogging crappy t-shirts,slightly drunk this didnt go down too well so he head butted him at which point frank,russ and i scooped up all his shirts and headed for the train to a degree of applause by the now watching crowd.spent the next hour walking the length of the tube back to watford handing out the said t-shirts.
    Yes MUM had a great time no problems at all. It was some years before we confessed.
    Last edited by Jon1; 15-08-18 at 20:33.
  • HAHA 1985 MY FIRST WEMBLEY CONCERT.
    now yes by now madonna was out there and getting noticed. I do love madonna and seen her live shows on 4 occasions however springsteen has to be my all time fav. Now july 4th 1985 not only sticks in my memory as my first wembley concert paid with by my first pay cheque at my first real job. Yes it was a springsteen concert which as a almost 17yr old mother insisted i had to go with my eldest brother and a couple of his mates.just to be safe
    In those days drinking too much was allowed at wembley and after the concert walking back to the tube station brendon was accosted by some Scouser flogging crappy t-shirts,slightly drunk this didnt go down too well so he head butted him at which point frank,russ and i scooped up all his shirts and headed for the train to a degree of applause by the now watching crowd.spent the next hour walking the length of the tube back to watford handing out the said t-shirts.
    Yes MUM had a great time no problems at all. It was some years before we confessed.
  • Great story Jon!

And who can forget LIVE AID of course! Same year, 13th July! OMG, Madonna was awesome, performing live from Philadelphia, with satellite link ups back then. Never forget that date, and the amazing event it was for Ethiopia Famine , by the legend Bob Geldof.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Great story Jon!

And who can forget LIVE AID of course! Same year, 13th July! OMG, Madonna was awesome, performing live from Philadelphia, with satellite link ups back then. Never forget that date, and the amazing event it was for Ethiopia Famine , by the legend Bob Geldof.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Great story Jon!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADGE.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Great story Jon!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADGE.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  • Fab pics Jon . Today at work, myself and friend were reminiscing re the Madge gigs we’d attended over the years. Lucky for her, she has an out of public sight office, so is able to have her music on, and played Madge non stop all morning. I’m doing same now home!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Fab pics Jon . Today at work, myself and friend were reminiscing re the Madge gigs we’d attended over the years. Lucky for her, she has an out of public sight office, so is able to have her music on, and played Madge non stop all morning. I’m doing same now home!

WALT WHITMAN
  • And it’s amazing realising how still know ALL the lyrics to almost every one of her tracks, no matter how many years on! Do adore singing along to VOGUE

WALT WHITMAN
  • And it’s amazing realising how still know ALL the lyrics to almost every one of her tracks, no matter how many years on! Do adore singing along to VOGUE

WALT WHITMAN
    And it’s amazing realising how still know ALL the lyrics to almost every one of her tracks, no matter how many years on! Do adore singing along to VOGUE
    Absolute radio have a madonna special on the radio at 8 crank up the volume.decided to have a day off tomorrow so i can stay up late dancing around the lounge.
    And it’s amazing realising how still know ALL the lyrics to almost every one of her tracks, no matter how many years on! Do adore singing along to VOGUE
    Absolute radio have a madonna special on the radio at 8 crank up the volume.decided to have a day off tomorrow so i can stay up late dancing around the lounge.
  • Are you pulling my plonker?!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Are you pulling my plonker?!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Do you have a plonker?
    Nope nothing important needs doing so i can have a lie in.
  • Do you have a plonker?
    Nope nothing important needs doing so i can have a lie in.
  • LOL

Well, I thought I was the only mad thing to dance around my lounge! Obvious not . Gotta be done

WALT WHITMAN
  • LOL

Well, I thought I was the only mad thing to dance around my lounge! Obvious not . Gotta be done

WALT WHITMAN
  • Aretha has left us...
  • Aretha has left us...
  • Just hearing this in full on the 1800hrs. Very sad indeed

- - - Updated - - -

Will never forget her superb duet with George Michael . “Knew you were waiting” Absolutely awesome song

WALT WHITMAN
  • Just hearing this in full on the 1800hrs. Very sad indeed

- - - Updated - - -

Will never forget her superb duet with George Michael . “Knew you were waiting” Absolutely awesome song

WALT WHITMAN
  • Absolute bliss here. Madge united on all aft and eve non stop thru the ipad . What a legend. What memories. What a talent.

I’d forgotten “Revolver” , Jon, with Lil Wayne! How good was “burning up” !

I had hoped for a lot lot more on TV and radio tbh to celebrate such a birthday but disappointing.

Happy dancing

WALT WHITMAN
  • Absolute bliss here. Madge united on all aft and eve non stop thru the ipad . What a legend. What memories. What a talent.

I’d forgotten “Revolver” , Jon, with Lil Wayne! How good was “burning up” !

I had hoped for a lot lot more on TV and radio tbh to celebrate such a birthday but disappointing.

Happy dancing

WALT WHITMAN
  • Long live Madonna.

Name:  _102968645_rt_gettyimages-162848173.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  198.7 KB

Getty Images
  • Long live Madonna.

Name:  _102968645_rt_gettyimages-162848173.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  198.7 KB

Getty Images
  • I liked Madonna's La Isla Bonita, lyrics were fab.

But my first taste of pop music was tendet age of 3. My Nanny's Teenage girls were HUGE Beatles fans in 1963 they just started. Paul drove us lasses wild wen he shook his head.

Well they dragged me up to their bedroom put She Loves You, Yeah yeah yeah single on their record player over n over again forcing me to memorise the lyrics. Well it worked. I still remember the song after all these years.

When I was 14 I was mad on Donny freakin Osmond, makes me puke now.

But I was Mahoosive Huge AbbA fan even joined their Fan club got their LP's tapes. When they split up I was in shock for days. But I still loved the Beatles early years.
    1962 -1965. I bought a Walkman n theor Red album put it on me ears n was trilling away in bed at night. My Dad told me to stop it cos he could not skeep.

But now I'm 60, too. I still love the Beatles
    Best friend comes t visit me in my flat fir our Beatles afts. We get out knitting out, I put Beatles181.FM on me iPad, I mean non stop Beatles songs! We live it. We sing all the lyrics then we chat about Beatlemanis n how she saw Paul live. Ab Fab gig she sez. Then I make us a Latté Machiato in my Tassimo, we scoff cream scones then chat about wot Beatles are doing now. Then we watch a Knitting or Crochet YT video on my telly. Perfect aft to spend with my lovely friend.

We went t Media Museum to see Avatar on the HUHE IMAX screen. Ot was better than dtugs. Boy films shud be seen in 3D the actirs looked like they were gonna come iut of the screen. Mind blowing.

Paul is still doing gigs so I'm told, but he's nearly 80. I think he should call it day.

Linda sez he will keep gigging until the last day, these groups love the buzz they get from screaming fans.

I also liked Queen n Status Quo. But in my senior years, I prefer Benny Goodman n his Big Band on YouTube, from Trad Jazz back in 1930's. N who can resisy Frank Sinatra man that guy really knew how to get a gils heart to flutter like in his skng Pugnose Dream.

Matt Munro has a voice like melted chicolate so smooth n dreamy.

I suppose u young uns are groaning at old cidgers like me posting ancient music here, well I don't like 80's stuff n songs these days are full of swearing or explucit. There is no need for that.

Give me Jonny Follar murder Mystety on YT channel n a mug of Micja coffee in my comfy recliner with me knitting or an Audiobook, get a chillpill, makes me so chillout. I don't need loud noise of nightclubs.
    You get Tinnitus if music is on t loud
    Peace and Luve

Yours in Stitches

Ory 🌏🌞
  • I liked Madonna's La Isla Bonita, lyrics were fab.

But my first taste of pop music was tendet age of 3. My Nanny's Teenage girls were HUGE Beatles fans in 1963 they just started. Paul drove us lasses wild wen he shook his head.

Well they dragged me up to their bedroom put She Loves You, Yeah yeah yeah single on their record player over n over again forcing me to memorise the lyrics. Well it worked. I still remember the song after all these years.

When I was 14 I was mad on Donny freakin Osmond, makes me puke now.

But I was Mahoosive Huge AbbA fan even joined their Fan club got their LP's tapes. When they split up I was in shock for days. But I still loved the Beatles early years.
    1962 -1965. I bought a Walkman n theor Red album put it on me ears n was trilling away in bed at night. My Dad told me to stop it cos he could not skeep.

But now I'm 60, too. I still love the Beatles
    Best friend comes t visit me in my flat fir our Beatles afts. We get out knitting out, I put Beatles181.FM on me iPad, I mean non stop Beatles songs! We live it. We sing all the lyrics then we chat about Beatlemanis n how she saw Paul live. Ab Fab gig she sez. Then I make us a Latté Machiato in my Tassimo, we scoff cream scones then chat about wot Beatles are doing now. Then we watch a Knitting or Crochet YT video on my telly. Perfect aft to spend with my lovely friend.

We went t Media Museum to see Avatar on the HUHE IMAX screen. Ot was better than dtugs. Boy films shud be seen in 3D the actirs looked like they were gonna come iut of the screen. Mind blowing.

Paul is still doing gigs so I'm told, but he's nearly 80. I think he should call it day.

Linda sez he will keep gigging until the last day, these groups love the buzz they get from screaming fans.

I also liked Queen n Status Quo. But in my senior years, I prefer Benny Goodman n his Big Band on YouTube, from Trad Jazz back in 1930's. N who can resisy Frank Sinatra man that guy really knew how to get a gils heart to flutter like in his skng Pugnose Dream.

Matt Munro has a voice like melted chicolate so smooth n dreamy.

I suppose u young uns are groaning at old cidgers like me posting ancient music here, well I don't like 80's stuff n songs these days are full of swearing or explucit. There is no need for that.

Give me Jonny Follar murder Mystety on YT channel n a mug of Micja coffee in my comfy recliner with me knitting or an Audiobook, get a chillpill, makes me so chillout. I don't need loud noise of nightclubs.
    You get Tinnitus if music is on t loud
    Peace and Luve

Yours in Stitches

Ory 🌏🌞
  • Absolutely loving the Gary Davies loop! 🎶🎶 BBC RB 1. In heaven! You just forget how good the music was back then, and the videos🎬! The memories are what makes it tho 💕💕💭💭💕💕👍. We’ve mentioned Madonna loads here, but she features as Mel C all time favourite video! Into the Groove 👍. Great choice 👏👏

WALT WHITMAN
  • Absolutely loving the Gary Davies loop! 🎶🎶 BBC RB 1. In heaven! You just forget how good the music was back then, and the videos🎬! The memories are what makes it tho 💕💕💭💭💕💕👍. We’ve mentioned Madonna loads here, but she features as Mel C all time favourite video! Into the Groove 👍. Great choice 👏👏

WALT WHITMAN