• Brilliant! (Not!!!)

The number pure planet provide in their text for Magnum Utilities is invalid text says it is 01164 783783 anyone know what the correct number is as BT say this number “is not recognised”
  • Brilliant! (Not!!!)

The number pure planet provide in their text for Magnum Utilities is invalid text says it is 01164 783783 anyone know what the correct number is as BT say this number “is not recognised”

• Hi KevinandSylvie,
    It seems that this is not an unusual occurance, with gas meters not registering.

With regard to the IHD it should just show the electric meter as not everyone has gas. This could be reset by PP.
    You should contact PP via Wattbot to inform them about what is/ has happened, don't forget to start with " message the team ".
    Regarding the start reading on your new meter, yes it starts at zero, the installers send in your final readings from the old meter and a new entry is put at 0 in the app.
    Hope you get it sorted.
  • Hi KevinandSylvie,
    It seems that this is not an unusual occurance, with gas meters not registering.

With regard to the IHD it should just show the electric meter as not everyone has gas. This could be reset by PP.
    You should contact PP via Wattbot to inform them about what is/ has happened, don't forget to start with " message the team ".
    Regarding the start reading on your new meter, yes it starts at zero, the installers send in your final readings from the old meter and a new entry is put at 0 in the app.
    Hope you get it sorted.

• Quote Originally Posted by KevinandSylvie View Post
    Brilliant! (Not!!!)

Magnum's website gives their number as 01164 783 571

Stephen
    Brilliant! (Not!!!)

Magnum's website gives their number as 01164 783 571

Stephen

• hi k+s
    just to add to other reply, new meters always start from zero, and if you want to submit you should still be able to read the new meter.
    I've mentioned the gas separately issue several times...(!)...
    If for any reason you can't read the new meter just enter zeroes in the electric boxes. (it'll be close to zero anyway)
    The installer should have informed pp of the reading of the old meter. I'm not sure if that's the case about needing the gas reading, not everyone has gas and if there was no gas meter installed the installer should have configured the electric meter not to expect a reading (could be the issue, who knows..? )

Quote Originally Posted by KevinandSylvie View Post
    From what I’ve read I don’t think it will connect until the gas meter is sorted.

Tried powering off the IhD and back on again with no luck. It still says not commissioned.

It’s about 3 feet from the meter so don’t think it’s a connectivity issue

I’ve just found a number for magnum as part of the automated messages when they book the appointment so will try ringing that.

Electricity meter seems to have been set to 0000 reading is that normal when a new meter is installed and if so how will we feed readings back to pure if they don’t match up with numbers on the old meter. Is it possible to send a gas reading without electric?
  • hi k+s
    just to add to other reply, new meters always start from zero, and if you want to submit you should still be able to read the new meter.
    I've mentioned the gas separately issue several times...(!)...
    If for any reason you can't read the new meter just enter zeroes in the electric boxes. (it'll be close to zero anyway)
    The installer should have informed pp of the reading of the old meter. I'm not sure if that's the case about needing the gas reading, not everyone has gas and if there was no gas meter installed the installer should have configured the electric meter not to expect a reading (could be the issue, who knows..? )

Quote Originally Posted by KevinandSylvie View Post
    From what I’ve read I don’t think it will connect until the gas meter is sorted.

Tried powering off the IhD and back on again with no luck. It still says not commissioned.

It’s about 3 feet from the meter so don’t think it’s a connectivity issue

I’ve just found a number for magnum as part of the automated messages when they book the appointment so will try ringing that.

Electricity meter seems to have been set to 0000 reading is that normal when a new meter is installed and if so how will we feed readings back to pure if they don’t match up with numbers on the old meter. Is it possible to send a gas reading without electric?

• Hi Everybody,

I have to say that I am glad that Magnum Utilities decided to "not install" an SMETS2 in my house on the grounds that I already had an SMETS1 fitted.
    The scale of the issues covering these new installations is "staggering" to say the least.
    I find it inconceivable that these meters and systems was deemed "fit for purpose".
    I'm glad that I may have to wait for a fairly significant period of time before the software/firmware upgrade of SMETS1 to SMETS2 will be available to be rolled out.
    I'm also a little concerned about the PP choice of installer...... not much positive commentary appearing on the Community Forum. I really hope that this all comes together in the not too distant future.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Everybody,

I have to say that I am glad that Magnum Utilities decided to "not install" an SMETS2 in my house on the grounds that I already had an SMETS1 fitted.
    The scale of the issues covering these new installations is "staggering" to say the least.
    I find it inconceivable that these meters and systems was deemed "fit for purpose".
    I'm glad that I may have to wait for a fairly significant period of time before the software/firmware upgrade of SMETS1 to SMETS2 will be available to be rolled out.
    I'm also a little concerned about the PP choice of installer...... not much positive commentary appearing on the Community Forum. I really hope that this all comes together in the not too distant future.
    Gray4276

• Hi Gray
    whilst I agree that pre-rollout testing should have exposed many of these problems, and I'm also of the opinion "never an early adopter be", it also has to be balanced against the fact that for every issue raised in the community there are probably tens if not hundreds of installs where no issues have been raised, and after all isn't that what trials are for anyway?

Whilst I am disappointed that what seem like extremely predictable and obvious issues which should have been nailed down before the trial began, have arisen, I'm not really surprised (I'm cynical so I expected it). I'm not sure whether that's the fault of the installers or the manufacturers (or communication between them).

On the other hand you don't know if another installer would have done better.

I would also think that it's in Magnum's interest to minimise the issues as much as they can for obvious reasons, not the least of which will be the post-trial post-mortem.

I firmly blame the government and Ofgem for this one, the time-scales are not achievable for development testing or installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi Everybody,

• Hi Gray
    whilst I agree that pre-rollout testing should have exposed many of these problems, and I'm also of the opinion "never an early adopter be", it also has to be balanced against the fact that for every issue raised in the community there are probably tens if not hundreds of installs where no issues have been raised, and after all isn't that what trials are for anyway?

Whilst I am disappointed that what seem like extremely predictable and obvious issues which should have been nailed down before the trial began, have arisen, I'm not really surprised (I'm cynical so I expected it). I'm not sure whether that's the fault of the installers or the manufacturers (or communication between them).

I would also think that it's in Magnum's interest to minimise the issues as much as they can for obvious reasons, not the least of which will be the post-trial post-mortem.

I firmly blame the government and Ofgem for this one, the time-scales are not achievable for development testing or installation.

Hi Everybody,

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Hi Gray

Hi Woz,

I wasn't having a go at PP (or any other supplier).... my criticism is almost entirely aimed at the government and Ofgem for the way this process has been steam rollered through. Not enough time has been devoted to understanding the issues that should have been predicted. And I accept that the installers have also been given a virtually impossible task.
    I'm still glad that I will have to wait for the upgrade to my meters.
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Hi Gray

Hi Woz,

I wasn't having a go at PP (or any other supplier).... my criticism is almost entirely aimed at the government and Ofgem for the way this process has been steam rollered through. Not enough time has been devoted to understanding the issues that should have been predicted. And I accept that the installers have also been given a virtually impossible task.
    Gray4276

• As someone who was nearly involved in IHD design in the early days of the smart metering dream I have to say I am not surprised at all by the current situation.

For sure, having government set targets on things they don't understand is never a good idea. But in this instance they were inflicting their desires on a technically illiterate industry.

To put things in perspective, the project is really about developing two products and a data network to connect them to - the latter part being the most challenging when one of the products has to be battery powered. But in the timescale that this project has been running (staggering?), Crossrail has been started and almost finished. Yes I know it's late but tunnels, track, trains and stations are all nearly complete. The difference as I see it is that the rail industry knew what it was doing.
  • As someone who was nearly involved in IHD design in the early days of the smart metering dream I have to say I am not surprised at all by the current situation.

For sure, having government set targets on things they don't understand is never a good idea. But in this instance they were inflicting their desires on a technically illiterate industry.

To put things in perspective, the project is really about developing two products and a data network to connect them to - the latter part being the most challenging when one of the products has to be battery powered. But in the timescale that this project has been running (staggering?), Crossrail has been started and almost finished. Yes I know it's late but tunnels, track, trains and stations are all nearly complete. The difference as I see it is that the rail industry knew what it was doing.

• Hi @talldave,

As an ex Network Rail Project Manager..... I fully understand your sentiments regarding this, and I agree.
    Gray4276
  • Hi @talldave,

As an ex Network Rail Project Manager..... I fully understand your sentiments regarding this, and I agree.
    Gray4276

• ha - I didn't think you were (having a go at PP), but I'm quite happy to when required, it's part of the community fun!
    Fortunately they do sometimes disagree with me...
    Hi Woz,

• ha - I didn't think you were (having a go at PP), but I'm quite happy to when required, it's part of the community fun!
    Fortunately they do sometimes disagree with me...
    Hi Woz,

• I agree.
    But I also question the premises on which the project was sold to the public (who after all are paying for it). Complete nonsense telling the public it will save them money.
    What a wasted opportunity. Still, given another 20 years who knows what it might morph into. I can only hope the protocols become open source allowing people to bolt on their own smart stuff (not that I'm wishing for hackers..).
    Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    As someone who was nearly involved in IHD design in the early days of the smart metering dream I have to say I am not surprised at all by the current situation.

• I agree.
    But I also question the premises on which the project was sold to the public (who after all are paying for it). Complete nonsense telling the public it will save them money.
    What a wasted opportunity. Still, given another 20 years who knows what it might morph into. I can only hope the protocols become open source allowing people to bolt on their own smart stuff (not that I'm wishing for hackers..).
    Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    As someone who was nearly involved in IHD design in the early days of the smart metering dream I have to say I am not surprised at all by the current situation.

• At the time the project was conceived there were a lot of energy saving opportunities - 90% savings with LED lighting, new standby regulations on TVs etc, ever reducing consumption on fridges & freezers - and IHDs could have helped consumers see the reductions as they upgraded. But it's taken so long to get smart meters rolled out that all those savings opportunities have already been taken and there are only slim pickings remaining.

So the message is 10 years out of date, but nobody in government had the brains to see that and the industry is too lazy to come up with a new message and is happy to treat us all as if we have an IQ of zilch anyway.
  • At the time the project was conceived there were a lot of energy saving opportunities - 90% savings with LED lighting, new standby regulations on TVs etc, ever reducing consumption on fridges & freezers - and IHDs could have helped consumers see the reductions as they upgraded. But it's taken so long to get smart meters rolled out that all those savings opportunities have already been taken and there are only slim pickings remaining.

So the message is 10 years out of date, but nobody in government had the brains to see that and the industry is too lazy to come up with a new message and is happy to treat us all as if we have an IQ of zilch anyway.

• Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Thought I'd offer a bit of an update. So the Magnum utilities engineer came out on 4th July to sort the issues which were apparent during first installation back in April. He changed the Hub on the electricity meter initially, then replaced the gas meter completely as it still wasn't communicating properly. He then commissioned the IHD, but although his back office team could see the meters, there was an issue at the PP end of things. On that particular day, he said a number of engineers were all reporting issues with PP. The only change is that the gas meter will now show current billing, whereas the old one was always on £0.00.

I got in touch with the PP team the following week to see if they could reset the IHD. Messaged reply to say they'd look into it. I followed up a few days later and was asked to be patient and they'd let me know..

It's now over a fortnight since the meters were replaced and recommissioned, but I still don't have a working IHD. Its pretty frustrating that when an issues is raised with the team via WattBot, that they close the session once they've replied, rather than leaving it open as an ongoing, unsolved issue. From the user's end, it feels like they've made a response, but we can't be sure any action is being taken.

Our SMETS2 meters were originally installed beginning of April, but we still don't have them functioning and most of the time there's a deafening silence.. Anything we can do get it sorted @Marc please?

The IHD just shows waiting for data. I've sent in pics of the error message codes it shows via the menus. It has been set up 30cm from the electricity meter so signal is not a problem..
    Hi @Spike
    I'm flagging this up with our smart meter team.
    Have you seen this post about IHD issues?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

Thought I'd offer a bit of an update. So the Magnum utilities engineer came out on 4th July to sort the issues which were apparent during first installation back in April. He changed the Hub on the electricity meter initially, then replaced the gas meter completely as it still wasn't communicating properly. He then commissioned the IHD, but although his back office team could see the meters, there was an issue at the PP end of things. On that particular day, he said a number of engineers were all reporting issues with PP. The only change is that the gas meter will now show current billing, whereas the old one was always on £0.00.

I got in touch with the PP team the following week to see if they could reset the IHD. Messaged reply to say they'd look into it. I followed up a few days later and was asked to be patient and they'd let me know..

It's now over a fortnight since the meters were replaced and recommissioned, but I still don't have a working IHD. Its pretty frustrating that when an issues is raised with the team via WattBot, that they close the session once they've replied, rather than leaving it open as an ongoing, unsolved issue. From the user's end, it feels like they've made a response, but we can't be sure any action is being taken.

Our SMETS2 meters were originally installed beginning of April, but we still don't have them functioning and most of the time there's a deafening silence.. Anything we can do get it sorted @Marc please?

The IHD just shows waiting for data. I've sent in pics of the error message codes it shows via the menus. It has been set up 30cm from the electricity meter so signal is not a problem..
    Hi @Spike
    I'm flagging this up with our smart meter team.
    Have you seen this post about IHD issues?

• Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    As someone who was nearly involved in IHD design in the early days of the smart metering dream
    That's interesting to hear @talldave
    What was your role? I'd love to know more - in general terms, if you're allowed to talk about it!

• Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    As someone who was nearly involved in IHD design in the early days of the smart metering dream
    That's interesting to hear @talldave
    What was your role? I'd love to know more - in general terms, if you're allowed to talk about it!

• Worked for a big consumer electronics manufacturer that was also active in the ZigBee area and were asked by a big 6 supplier to design/quote for what we now know as an IHD. As I remember, the cost of the sexy colour display made it too expensive to get off the drawing board!

It was around that time that I went to a smart metering conference and really became aware of just how ignorant the incumbent suppliers at the time were on how the market could evolve. Their view was that energy would always cost the same price regardless of who sold it and the time of day it was used! It's no surprise to me that a decade on, we are where we are - or aren't!
    Last edited by talldave; 22-07-19 at 15:48.
  • Worked for a big consumer electronics manufacturer that was also active in the ZigBee area and were asked by a big 6 supplier to design/quote for what we now know as an IHD. As I remember, the cost of the sexy colour display made it too expensive to get off the drawing board!

It was around that time that I went to a smart metering conference and really became aware of just how ignorant the incumbent suppliers at the time were on how the market could evolve. Their view was that energy would always cost the same price regardless of who sold it and the time of day it was used! It's no surprise to me that a decade on, we are where we are - or aren't!

Brilliant! (Not!!!)

Hi @KevinandSylvie
    It's 01164 783 574
    Where did you see that wrong number please? Was it in the SMS text message we sent you?
    Last edited by Marc; 22-07-19 at 16:03.

Brilliant! (Not!!!)

Hi @KevinandSylvie
    It's 01164 783 574
    Where did you see that wrong number please? Was it in the SMS text message we sent you?

• Thanks @Marc. Yes I saw the post about IHD issues already. I think this problem is back-office system related tbh.
  • Thanks @Marc. Yes I saw the post about IHD issues already. I think this problem is back-office system related tbh.

• Heard back from 'the team' this morning. Apparently, because I'm "from t'North", my IHD and everyone else up here on all other SMETS2 platforms have non-working IHDs and will do so until end of September at the earliest. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here is from 'The North' and has working SMETS2 smart meters and their home device does provide information?
    Last edited by Spike; 23-07-19 at 13:51. Reason: typos
  • Heard back from 'the team' this morning. Apparently, because I'm "from t'North", my IHD and everyone else up here on all other SMETS2 platforms have non-working IHDs and will do so until end of September at the earliest. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here is from 'The North' and has working SMETS2 smart meters and their home device does provide information?

• The second (or is it the third?) industrial revolution has been postponed in the North, it's time to go back to your cardboard box...(and don't forget to doff your cap on the way)

​Telecoms feedback
    At Arqiva we welcome all feedback and would be happy to hear from you.
    E: telecoms.feedback@arqiva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Heard back from 'the team' this morning. Apparently, because I'm "from t'North", my IHD and everyone else up here on all other SMETS2 platforms have non-working IHDs and will do so until end of September at the earliest. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here is from 'The North' and has working SMETS2 smart meters and their home device does provide information?
    Last edited by woz; 23-07-19 at 15:25.
  • The second (or is it the third?) industrial revolution has been postponed in the North, it's time to go back to your cardboard box...(and don't forget to doff your cap on the way)

​Telecoms feedback
    At Arqiva we welcome all feedback and would be happy to hear from you.
    E: telecoms.feedback@arqiva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Heard back from 'the team' this morning. Apparently, because I'm "from t'North", my IHD and everyone else up here on all other SMETS2 platforms have non-working IHDs and will do so until end of September at the earliest. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here is from 'The North' and has working SMETS2 smart meters and their home device does provide information?

Hi @Spike
    Yep, that's the post I linked to in my earlier reply.
    It explains the issue, and that not everyone is affected, and not just those in the 'North' (but mostly).

Hi @Spike
    Yep, that's the post I linked to in my earlier reply.
    It explains the issue, and that not everyone is affected, and not just those in the 'North' (but mostly).