• Green electricity, hows it all work

I was wondering how green electricity distribution works.
    Ie when the its night and not windy where’s it come from? Obviously by buying ahead in a market etc but can someone give a bit of an explanation please?

If there’s an excess to the demand by green users where does the excess go?

If there isn’t enough green electricity generated how do I know what I’m driving my car with is truly green?

Cheers for your thoughts
  • I was wondering how green electricity distribution works.
    Ie when the its night and not windy where’s it come from? Obviously by buying ahead in a market etc but can someone give a bit of an explanation please?

If there’s an excess to the demand by green users where does the excess go?

If there isn’t enough green electricity generated how do I know what I’m driving my car with is truly green?

Cheers for your thoughts
  • Hey @Eastbath

What a question!!

You may be interested in reading this thread where Marc explains the 3 ways in which green energy is bought and that

"All 3 types are backed by REGOs.
    And all are limited by a common factor - time of day and night.
    In other words, it might be a calm day and no wind. Or it might be dark, such as at night time.
    How do you then get energy?"

• Hey @Eastbath

What a question!!

You may be interested in reading this thread where Marc explains the 3 ways in which green energy is bought and that

"All 3 types are backed by REGOs.
    And all are limited by a common factor - time of day and night.
    In other words, it might be a calm day and no wind. Or it might be dark, such as at night time.
    How do you then get energy?"

• Quote Originally Posted by Eastbath View Post

It's a very good point. If you you look at places which are closer to zero emissions, you often see geothermal, hydro and nuclear in the mix as they are better able to work round the clock.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Eastbath View Post

It's a very good point. If you you look at places which are closer to zero emissions, you often see geothermal, hydro and nuclear in the mix as they are better able to work round the clock.