Poll: Poll: When will the majority of all cars on UK roads be electric only?

• Poll: When will the majority of all cars on UK roads be electric only?

Car = a vehicle with a full set of windows carrying up to 8 (including driver)

Electric only = no hybrids

Majority of all cars = All cars registered, not just new registrations
  • Car = a vehicle with a full set of windows carrying up to 8 (including driver)

Electric only = no hybrids

Majority of all cars = All cars registered, not just new registrations
  • Lenny I would love to see it well over 50% in next 5/10 years but with manufacturers still more concerned with their profit margins rather the ice shelves in antartica and greenland and a complete of central governmeng championing this switch as part of a zero carbon economy I fear it will be several decades in the future! But eh maybe all them climte scientists are wrong and maybe Don in the big whitehouse is right maybe its all
    just a hoax

- - - Updated - - -

Meant to lack of government support. And I hope it came across clearly enough. With a name like Trump how can he not believe in human influence on the climate???:
  • Lenny I would love to see it well over 50% in next 5/10 years but with manufacturers still more concerned with their profit margins rather the ice shelves in antartica and greenland and a complete of central governmeng championing this switch as part of a zero carbon economy I fear it will be several decades in the future! But eh maybe all them climte scientists are wrong and maybe Don in the big whitehouse is right maybe its all
    just a hoax

- - - Updated - - -

Meant to lack of government support. And I hope it came across clearly enough. With a name like Trump how can he not believe in human influence on the climate???:
  • Agreed.

Manufacturers are currently only interested in high end models.

The infrastructure required for on street parking users alone is likely to be more complex and expensive than HS2, and look how well that's going?
  • Agreed.

Manufacturers are currently only interested in high end models.

The infrastructure required for on street parking users alone is likely to be more complex and expensive than HS2, and look how well that's going?
  • I don't think this would be any time soon (If ever) as you indicated both majority of cars actually on the road as well as not hybrid.
  • I don't think this would be any time soon (If ever) as you indicated both majority of cars actually on the road as well as not hybrid.
  • If it takes 3.5 years for carbon emissions from an existing car (30mpg) to equal those from manufacture of new car and if modern cars and hybrids do much higher mpg than that - shouldn’t all that be factored in somehow?
  • If it takes 3.5 years for carbon emissions from an existing car (30mpg) to equal those from manufacture of new car and if modern cars and hybrids do much higher mpg than that - shouldn’t all that be factored in somehow?
  • hi TPart
    ​Where did that figure come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by TPart View Post
    If it takes 3.5 years for carbon emissions from an existing car (30mpg) to equal those from manufacture of new car and if modern cars and hybrids do much higher mpg than that - shouldn’t all that be factored in somehow?
  • hi TPart
    ​Where did that figure come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by TPart View Post
    If it takes 3.5 years for carbon emissions from an existing car (30mpg) to equal those from manufacture of new car and if modern cars and hybrids do much higher mpg than that - shouldn’t all that be factored in somehow?
  • Daspy, (you guys seem to know your stuff so...) may I ask what your thoughts are regarding the country's current electrical supply versus the uptake of future electric cars rising by, say, 40% within 5 years?

I genuinely have no idea how much electrical consumption an average car takes to fully recharge and whether our grid infrastructure is ready for such an uptake.

I hope it is as I think it has to be the way forward.
  • Daspy, (you guys seem to know your stuff so...) may I ask what your thoughts are regarding the country's current electrical supply versus the uptake of future electric cars rising by, say, 40% within 5 years?

I genuinely have no idea how much electrical consumption an average car takes to fully recharge and whether our grid infrastructure is ready for such an uptake.

I hope it is as I think it has to be the way forward.