• Climate Change

Who watched Sir David Attenborough's documentary on Climate Change? Frightening prospects for our planet don't you think?

Given the number of conflicting political systems, and their apparent inability to put the brakes on fossil fuel consumption, deforestation and pollution, I am not optimistic for the future.

The scariest thing for me was watching methane flares coming from holes punched through the ice cap on an Arctic lake. Methane is many times more effective than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas, and there are millions of tons of it trapped in arctic permafrost.
  • Who watched Sir David Attenborough's documentary on Climate Change? Frightening prospects for our planet don't you think?

Given the number of conflicting political systems, and their apparent inability to put the brakes on fossil fuel consumption, deforestation and pollution, I am not optimistic for the future.

The scariest thing for me was watching methane flares coming from holes punched through the ice cap on an Arctic lake. Methane is many times more effective than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas, and there are millions of tons of it trapped in arctic permafrost.
  • I watched it.
    And to be blunt the planet will survive with some turbulent times and we may not.
    You never know we may come up with something that astounds?
    Last edited by Strutt G; 18-04-19 at 23:28.
  • I watched it.
    And to be blunt the planet will survive with some turbulent times and we may not.
  • A scary watch @Oakbank. We too thought the arctic methane flares a very worrying prospect.
  • A scary watch @Oakbank. We too thought the arctic methane flares a very worrying prospect.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    I watched it.
    Oh I don't doubt the planet will survive. Nor do I doubt ****-sapiens will survive; some of us anyway. I do have grave doubts that our nice, comfortable western civilisation will survive once half the population of this planet migrate in search of a cooler climate, high ground, drinking water, farmland and peace.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    I watched it.
    Oh I don't doubt the planet will survive. Nor do I doubt ****-sapiens will survive; some of us anyway. I do have grave doubts that our nice, comfortable western civilisation will survive once half the population of this planet migrate in search of a cooler climate, high ground, drinking water, farmland and peace.
  • ​Well Oakbank, you’ve got me at it...as you have pointed out its fairly obvious on why, where and how our civilisation has got into this position. In the west we have got so much to answer for as corporate greed continues to grow, backed up by the lack of wisdom, as in short-termism and the world powers failing to agree as one mind and direction.

If the world cannot solve poverty, then theres no hope as we can't expect poorer nations to change their approach based on the wests historical selfishness that we have benefited from.
    If a new fast-track approach is not adopted by all major powers, by the financial sectors etc then who has got the power to drive this multi faceted murky nexus.
    We appear to be sending more people to university, apparently educating to a higher level but all I see is a society suffering from increased ignorance, dumbing down, consumerism, a poor press, fake news and political parties offering false promises to get over the line. You cannot trust the system to be upstanding let alone set the right tone. Its shocking!

Not my words…. "Educated Fools from uneducated schools" - and there running things!
    Perhaps once your in the system of power the financial benefits overtakes selfless objectives, its a human trait!
    And to make the system fast-track this looming catastrophe there will need to be a whole lot more people getting out to protest, but from all sections of our society and cultures.

If we cant over come greed, the increasing in-balance and unfairness, overpopulation, depleting (fresh water) resources, migration of people, affects of overfishing, pollution, the narco industry destroying (destroyed) societies then we are stuffed.

In London I see more people dumping crap on the streets, this one topic suggests to me not much is sinking in…. knock knock..HELLO!

My view has always been we are only a guest on this planet therefore US HS's are no more important than anythings else, we just need to get over ourselves.

Hate to say this but the planet could do with humans not being around.
    Theres too many of us and then we’ve got automation…..OH tell me to SHUT UP.

Perhaps some aliens will arrive and save the day or just leave because we don't taste nice.

Last edited by Strutt G; 19-04-19 at 22:50.
  • ​Well Oakbank, you’ve got me at it...as you have pointed out its fairly obvious on why, where and how our civilisation has got into this position. In the west we have got so much to answer for as corporate greed continues to grow, backed up by the lack of wisdom, as in short-termism and the world powers failing to agree as one mind and direction.

If the world cannot solve poverty, then theres no hope as we can't expect poorer nations to change their approach based on the wests historical selfishness that we have benefited from.
    If a new fast-track approach is not adopted by all major powers, by the financial sectors etc then who has got the power to drive this multi faceted murky nexus.
    We appear to be sending more people to university, apparently educating to a higher level but all I see is a society suffering from increased ignorance, dumbing down, consumerism, a poor press, fake news and political parties offering false promises to get over the line. You cannot trust the system to be upstanding let alone set the right tone. Its shocking!

Not my words…. "Educated Fools from uneducated schools" - and there running things!
    Perhaps once your in the system of power the financial benefits overtakes selfless objectives, its a human trait!
    And to make the system fast-track this looming catastrophe there will need to be a whole lot more people getting out to protest, but from all sections of our society and cultures.

If we cant over come greed, the increasing in-balance and unfairness, overpopulation, depleting (fresh water) resources, migration of people, affects of overfishing, pollution, the narco industry destroying (destroyed) societies then we are stuffed.

In London I see more people dumping crap on the streets, this one topic suggests to me not much is sinking in…. knock knock..HELLO!

My view has always been we are only a guest on this planet therefore US HS's are no more important than anythings else, we just need to get over ourselves.

Hate to say this but the planet could do with humans not being around.
    Theres too many of us and then we’ve got automation…..OH tell me to SHUT UP.

Perhaps some aliens will arrive and save the day or just leave because we don't taste nice.