Poll: How useful and interesting are the usage charts in the app?

• Poll: How useful is it having usage charts in the app

I'm writing this because I wonder how useful people perceive the usage charts to be, and feel free to comment on your reasons why or why not, even if the answer is that life it too short and you can't be bothered or you simply can't live without them.
    The new version of the app 7.19 has improved charts for those who are interested.
  • I'm writing this because I wonder how useful people perceive the usage charts to be, and feel free to comment on your reasons why or why not, even if the answer is that life it too short and you can't be bothered or you simply can't live without them.
    The new version of the app 7.19 has improved charts for those who are interested.
  • Hi Woz
    I find them quite interesting, but they don't make me think about my energy use other than I keep an eye on what is happening year on year rather more than month by month. If I notice an overall increase I usually investigate a little more. And I also use them to check that a week or two-week holiday is reflected in lower usage. So I'm probably somewhere between your options 2 and 3
    Stephen
    PS - saves me keeping my own spreadsheet!!
  • Hi Woz
    I find them quite interesting, but they don't make me think about my energy use other than I keep an eye on what is happening year on year rather more than month by month. If I notice an overall increase I usually investigate a little more. And I also use them to check that a week or two-week holiday is reflected in lower usage. So I'm probably somewhere between your options 2 and 3
    Stephen
    PS - saves me keeping my own spreadsheet!!
  • As a Yorkshireman I like to keep tabs on my usage and therefore spending 😀. With two young kids in the house who have a habit of leaving TV’s/lights turned on it allows me to spot any spikes in usage. As I have posted elsewhere I think there is more PP can do to make the usage information more useful.
  • As a Yorkshireman I like to keep tabs on my usage and therefore spending 😀. With two young kids in the house who have a habit of leaving TV’s/lights turned on it allows me to spot any spikes in usage. As I have posted elsewhere I think there is more PP can do to make the usage information more useful.
  • Understanding usage from month to month (or week to week or day to day) and year to year is the no 1 factor.
    I use spread sheets which assists. Currently I'm more interested watching my annual usage projection shown on the monthly statement going down as it was too high from the offset, due to the third party regulators calc v my usage projection when joining PP which is reflected by the DD.

The usage chart is a nice to have.. but its not essential.
  • Understanding usage from month to month (or week to week or day to day) and year to year is the no 1 factor.
    I use spread sheets which assists. Currently I'm more interested watching my annual usage projection shown on the monthly statement going down as it was too high from the offset, due to the third party regulators calc v my usage projection when joining PP which is reflected by the DD.

The usage chart is a nice to have.. but its not essential.
  • The graphs are still wrong in 7.19 :-(.

Really need separate graphs, as my gas 8000kWh swamps my electricity 300kWh.

Previous years overlayed as dotted lines would be useful, so the graph is only ever 12 months wide.

Blobs are too big.
  • The graphs are still wrong in 7.19 :-(.

Previous years overlayed as dotted lines would be useful, so the graph is only ever 12 months wide.

Blobs are too big.
  • I never use the 📈📉graphs. Much prefer my manual “spreadsheet” (good old ✒️pen, notebook 📒and calculator app😂😂😂), but it works for me. Know exactly what my usage is each month, and how much should be paying. Tally it with statement each month. Bobs ya uncle, Fanny’s ya aunt. Simples.

Guess it’s not for everyone, so the 📉📈 may be a Godsend for some. Not me.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I never use the 📈📉graphs. Much prefer my manual “spreadsheet” (good old ✒️pen, notebook 📒and calculator app😂😂😂), but it works for me. Know exactly what my usage is each month, and how much should be paying. Tally it with statement each month. Bobs ya uncle, Fanny’s ya aunt. Simples.

Guess it’s not for everyone, so the 📉📈 may be a Godsend for some. Not me.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I suggested left and right hand different scales to match, also in same colour- that would help.I don’t like big blobs (interesting that autocorrect changed blobs to boobs..!)
    Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    The graphs are still wrong in 7.19 :-(.

Blobs are too big.
  • I suggested left and right hand different scales to match, also in same colour- that would help.I don’t like big blobs (interesting that autocorrect changed blobs to boobs..!)
    Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    The graphs are still wrong in 7.19 :-(.

Blobs are too big.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I don’t like big blobs (interesting that autocorrect changed blobs to boobs..!)
    ​LOL SOOOOOOOO much Wozeeta 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I don’t like big blobs (interesting that autocorrect changed blobs to boobs..!)
    ​LOL SOOOOOOOO much Wozeeta 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • I did too...I very nearly posted it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    ​LOL SOOOOOOOO much Wozeeta ���������������� ���������������� ��������
  • I did too...I very nearly posted it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    ​LOL SOOOOOOOO much Wozeeta ���������������� ���������������� ��������
  • I have a weekly consumption spreadsheet; hence the app graphs are not that important. But their being wrong is just irritating. The downside of being a pedant software engineer!
  • I have a weekly consumption spreadsheet; hence the app graphs are not that important. But their being wrong is just irritating. The downside of being a pedant software engineer!
  • Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    Don't we have separate graphs now?
    Stephen
    Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Stephen
    Sorry, I probably mean separate scales. The problem with my high gas/low electricity situation is that the electricity plot is cramped at the bottom of the graph, making it virtually impossible to see any increase or decrease. (see my screenshots in the Ask the Community thread on graphs).
  • Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Stephen
    Sorry, I probably mean separate scales. The problem with my high gas/low electricity situation is that the electricity plot is cramped at the bottom of the graph, making it virtually impossible to see any increase or decrease. (see my screenshots in the Ask the Community thread on graphs).
    We're not doing too well on the communication here, are we??!!

One of the changes in this latest app version is that you can now opt for your graph to be gas only, electricity only, or both together. As soon as you opt for electricity only the scale changes and you can see the ups and downs very clearly. It definitely improves the usefulness of the graph...
    Hope that's a better explanation of what I meant!
    Stephen

One of the changes in this latest app version is that you can now opt for your graph to be gas only, electricity only, or both together. As soon as you opt for electricity only the scale changes and you can see the ups and downs very clearly. It definitely improves the usefulness of the graph...
    Hope that's a better explanation of what I meant!
    Stephen
  • Indeed you can! Just what was needed. And it's highlighted the graphing error on my electricity readings too.
  • Indeed you can! Just what was needed. And it's highlighted the graphing error on my electricity readings too.
  • later edit, strange I could only get g+e together or e alone, and now either works!!...(note to self...have finger/brain interface checked)
    The implementation is very poor, it needs 2 scales, which would have obviated the need for compressing the electricity on the dual graph then all that would be needed would be to switch either off the display, and not have to redraw.
    (sigh....)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post

One of the changes in this latest app version is that you can now opt for your graph to be gas only, electricity only, or both together.
    Stephen
    Last edited by woz; 22-04-19 at 00:20.
  • later edit, strange I could only get g+e together or e alone, and now either works!!...(note to self...have finger/brain interface checked)
    The implementation is very poor, it needs 2 scales, which would have obviated the need for compressing the electricity on the dual graph then all that would be needed would be to switch either off the display, and not have to redraw.
    (sigh....)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post

One of the changes in this latest app version is that you can now opt for your graph to be gas only, electricity only, or both together.
    Stephen
  • I personally am not that obsessive about the graphs as some may be. I like to look and see roughly how things look month to month. As I have been so impressed with the price, attitude, community and customer service I am not I overly concerned with the graphs. It has been interesting to see how they really work though as I initially presumed it was just a straightforward monthly usage thing. Have a great weekend everyone.👍😎
  • I personally am not that obsessive about the graphs as some may be. I like to look and see roughly how things look month to month. As I have been so impressed with the price, attitude, community and customer service I am not I overly concerned with the graphs. It has been interesting to see how they really work though as I initially presumed it was just a straightforward monthly usage thing. Have a great weekend everyone.👍😎
  • The graphs are gimmicky at best, but I am sure they make the readings more accessible for people who have better things to do than spending hours on data analysis and interpretation . I use a detailed spreadsheet and a proprietary smart meter with downloadable meter reading data to which I add heating degree days data for better insight..
    Last edited by DutchCaerleon; 08-05-19 at 23:29. Reason: Deleting superfluous s
  • The graphs are gimmicky at best, but I am sure they make the readings more accessible for people who have better things to do than spending hours on data analysis and interpretation . I use a detailed spreadsheet and a proprietary smart meter with downloadable meter reading data to which I add heating degree days data for better insight..