• Smart meters update April 2019 - pilot registrations now closed, 400 more installations coming next

Hi everyone

Thanks for offering to be part of our smart meter pilots! The response has been brilliant.

The first wave of about 30 Members started in February and March. Now we’re preparing to install another 400 new 2nd generation (SMETS2) smart meters. Magnum Utilities, our installations partner, will be getting in touch with Members over the next few weeks to arrange appointments.

Registrations for the pilot are now closed. If you’d like to register your interest for a smart meter later this year, head over to the Pure Planet website where there is a form you can fill in.

We’re not going to be offering SMETS2 to anyone who has a SMETS1 as the Data Communications Company (which is responsible for managing the network which carries smart data from meters to energy companies) has given new updates on when they plan to start upgrading these. Starting later this year many SMETS1 models will become smart again - check out this FAQ for more info about the latest timescales.

We’ve also inherited more than 100 SMETS2 smart meters. We’ll be contacting these Members in due course when we’re ready to switch on the smart functionality. More info here.

I will of course keep posting updates in the community, here in the smart meters section, so keep an eye on that for latest news. We’re also adding lots of new and useful info to the smart meters section of our FAQs.

What we’ve learned so far from the pilot phase

• Some Members who offered to be part of the pilot phase have been disappointed that they’ve not had their installation, or been contacted by Magnum yet. This is because until we’re installing them at a larger rate, we’ve got a limited number of engineers available, so we’ve clustered Members together by location.
    • We should have been clearer that we’re not going to install a SMETS2 smart meter at your home if you’ve already got a SMETS1 meter which is due to be upgraded starting in the second half of 2019. This is because we want to keep wastage and costs low.
    • We’ve experienced a few teething troubles with our booking process, with not all Members booked for a smart meter getting an email to confirm their appointment. We’re working with Magnum to improve on this.
    • Some In-Home Displays are sometimes losing connectivity to their smart meters. We’re investigating these. If your IHD is not displaying energy usage, please contact our Member Services team via Help in your app.
    • Smart electricity readings are coming through faster than gas readings
    • We're still estimating that it will take about six weeks from installation before smart meter readings start to come through and appear in your app

I volunteered to be part of the pilot. Why haven’t I heard anything?
    We’re really grateful to everyone who’s offered to help.

If you’ve already registered an interest in being part of the pilot, what happens next is we check the connectivity strength in your area, check whether you have a SMETS1 meter already, and look at the availability of engineers, so we can group Pure Planet members together.

We’ve also ruled out Members with feed-in tariffs from taking part as we don’t yet support them.

This means a small number of Members who don’t have SMETS1 meters who offered to help will not make the pilot phase. Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten you. Once we’re ready to install smart meters to thousands of our Members’ homes later this year, we’ll be in touch.

What will happen to my Pure Planet account after the smart meters are installed?
    We estimate that it’ll take about six to eight weeks from the date your smart meters are installed for your account to be fully updated.

This means that you’ll most likely receive at least one email asking for a meter reading. Please keep sending regular meter readings until you see smart readings appearing in your app. You may also not receive your regular monthly statement because it won’t be automatically generated by our billing software.

After the 6-8 week period you’ll start to see automated meter readings appear in your app and your monthly statements will also return.

Please give us your feedback
    We want our Members to have a good smart meter experience as we install meters in larger numbers, so we’re working closely with our installees to find out what they did and didn’t like as part of the install process.

If you’re one of these, please let us know about:

• Your installation booking experience from Magnum - Was the date and time of the installation made clear? Were you kept in the loop about what was planned?
    • The installation - How long did it take? Was there any disruption? Was the engineer informative and helpful?
    • Post installation - Are you aware of the benefits of your smart meter? Are you happy with the information you’ve been left with?
    • Feel free to post your feedback in the replies here or send a message to our Member Services team in your app.

We’re collecting your feedback as we go. We’re using it to improve the process for the next round of installations later this year.

I didn’t put my name down to be part of the pilot, but I’d like a smart meter. What do I do?
    Once the pilot installs are done, we’ll be working on installing smart meters for all our Members who want one. Go to our website to register your interest.
    That’s it. Any questions? Let’s talk about them below.

Last edited by Marc; 04-07-19 at 08:16.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi everyone

Thanks for offering to be part of our smart meter pilots! The response has been brilliant.

The first wave of about 30 Members started in February and March. Now we’re preparing to install another 400 new 2nd generation (SMETS2) smart meters. Magnum Utilities, our installations partner, will be getting in touch with Members over the next few weeks to arrange appointments.

Registrations for the pilot are now closed. If you’d like to register your interest for a smart meter later this year, head over to the Pure Planet website where there is a form you can fill in.

We’re not going to be offering SMETS2 to anyone who has a SMETS1 as the Data Communications Company (which is responsible for managing the network which carries smart data from meters to energy companies) has given new updates on when they plan to start upgrading these. Starting later this year many SMETS1 models will become smart again - check out this FAQ for more info about the latest timescales.

We’ve also inherited more than 100 SMETS2 smart meters. We’ll be contacting these Members in due course when we’re ready to switch on the smart functionality. More info here.

I will of course keep posting updates in the community, here in the smart meters section, so keep an eye on that for latest news. We’re also adding lots of new and useful info to the smart meters section of our FAQs.

What we’ve learned so far from the pilot phase

• Some Members who offered to be part of the pilot phase have been disappointed that they’ve not had their installation, or been contacted by Magnum yet. This is because until we’re installing them at a larger rate, we’ve got a limited number of engineers available, so we’ve clustered Members together by location.
    • We should have been clearer that we’re not going to install a SMETS2 smart meter at your home if you’ve already got a SMETS1 meter which is due to be upgraded starting in the second half of 2019. This is because we want to keep wastage and costs low.
    • We’ve experienced a few teething troubles with our booking process, with not all Members booked for a smart meter getting an email to confirm their appointment. We’re working with Magnum to improve on this.
    • Some In-Home Displays are sometimes losing connectivity to their smart meters. We’re investigating these. If your IHD is not displaying energy usage, please contact our Member Services team via Help in your app.
    • Smart electricity readings are coming through faster than gas readings
    • We're still estimating that it will take about six weeks from installation before smart meter readings start to come through and appear in your app

I volunteered to be part of the pilot. Why haven’t I heard anything?
    We’re really grateful to everyone who’s offered to help.

If you’ve already registered an interest in being part of the pilot, what happens next is we check the connectivity strength in your area, check whether you have a SMETS1 meter already, and look at the availability of engineers, so we can group Pure Planet members together.

We’ve also ruled out Members with feed-in tariffs from taking part as we don’t yet support them.

This means a small number of Members who don’t have SMETS1 meters who offered to help will not make the pilot phase. Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten you. Once we’re ready to install smart meters to thousands of our Members’ homes later this year, we’ll be in touch.

What will happen to my Pure Planet account after the smart meters are installed?
    We estimate that it’ll take about six to eight weeks from the date your smart meters are installed for your account to be fully updated.

This means that you’ll most likely receive at least one email asking for a meter reading. Please keep sending regular meter readings until you see smart readings appearing in your app. You may also not receive your regular monthly statement because it won’t be automatically generated by our billing software.

After the 6-8 week period you’ll start to see automated meter readings appear in your app and your monthly statements will also return.

Please give us your feedback
    We want our Members to have a good smart meter experience as we install meters in larger numbers, so we’re working closely with our installees to find out what they did and didn’t like as part of the install process.

If you’re one of these, please let us know about:

• Your installation booking experience from Magnum - Was the date and time of the installation made clear? Were you kept in the loop about what was planned?
    • The installation - How long did it take? Was there any disruption? Was the engineer informative and helpful?
    • Post installation - Are you aware of the benefits of your smart meter? Are you happy with the information you’ve been left with?
    • Feel free to post your feedback in the replies here or send a message to our Member Services team in your app.

We’re collecting your feedback as we go. We’re using it to improve the process for the next round of installations later this year.

I didn’t put my name down to be part of the pilot, but I’d like a smart meter. What do I do?
    Once the pilot installs are done, we’ll be working on installing smart meters for all our Members who want one. Go to our website to register your interest.
    That’s it. Any questions? Let’s talk about them below.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Hi Marc

Can you let us know how Magnum will be getting in touch? Is this by email? Also is there a plan as to which area is next? I appreciate this may be Magnum’s call, but any info would be great.

Many thanks
  • Hi Marc

Can you let us know how Magnum will be getting in touch? Is this by email? Also is there a plan as to which area is next? I appreciate this may be Magnum’s call, but any info would be great.

Many thanks

• Hi @Gmac
    Great question!
    Magnum will call you. Then there's an email to confirm date and time.
    We're also looking at calls/texts the day before, just in case

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi @Gmac
    Great question!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• I'm scheduled for a Smart Meter fitting today but haven't heard anything from Magnum since my initial booking which is a little disappointing. It's a pilot and not everything will go smoothly but as with anything, communication is vital. So I think my appointment is for a PM slot but I have no idea - which means making sure somebody is in in case they do turn up. A bit frustrating!

I would have expected (and been told that I'd have) a confirmation e-mail giving times and dates of the install, contact details and a reference.
  • I'm scheduled for a Smart Meter fitting today but haven't heard anything from Magnum since my initial booking which is a little disappointing. It's a pilot and not everything will go smoothly but as with anything, communication is vital. So I think my appointment is for a PM slot but I have no idea - which means making sure somebody is in in case they do turn up. A bit frustrating!

I would have expected (and been told that I'd have) a confirmation e-mail giving times and dates of the install, contact details and a reference.

• Hey @Jowl
    Thanks for this.
    You're right, it's not great and we're talking to Magnum about improving the communication.
    For now I can confirm the engineer is on his/her way and will be with you v soon!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hey @Jowl
    Thanks for this.
    You're right, it's not great and we're talking to Magnum about improving the communication.
    For now I can confirm the engineer is on his/her way and will be with you v soon!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Thanks @Marc - yes had a missed call and then a text from the engineer to say they should be here about 2pm. I'll report back how it goes
  • Thanks @Marc - yes had a missed call and then a text from the engineer to say they should be here about 2pm. I'll report back how it goes

• Update so far. Engineer arrived on time as he said but couldn't fit the Gas meter and it requries a new, different bracket that they haven't got yet. Said they'd be in touch about that.

Electric smart meter was fitted within the hour but he's having trouble getting it connected to base. He's just working the problem with base at the moment.

Post install update:
    Electric not talking to base yet but they're working on it behind the scenes
    Gas can't be fitted yet as requires some bracket as above. I'll be contacted 'but could be a few months'
    Engineer was on time, polite and efficient and explained things as he went. No problem there.

Just the initial teething issues I guess.
    Last edited by Jowl; 24-04-19 at 14:46.
  • Update so far. Engineer arrived on time as he said but couldn't fit the Gas meter and it requries a new, different bracket that they haven't got yet. Said they'd be in touch about that.

Electric smart meter was fitted within the hour but he's having trouble getting it connected to base. He's just working the problem with base at the moment.

Post install update:
    Electric not talking to base yet but they're working on it behind the scenes
    Gas can't be fitted yet as requires some bracket as above. I'll be contacted 'but could be a few months'
    Engineer was on time, polite and efficient and explained things as he went. No problem there.

Just the initial teething issues I guess.

• so 24 hours on and the IHD is still bnot connecting to the Smart Meter. Showing only 'connecting to Smart Meter.....'

Do I have to be more patient ?
  • so 24 hours on and the IHD is still bnot connecting to the Smart Meter. Showing only 'connecting to Smart Meter.....'

• Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    so 24 hours on and the IHD is still bnot connecting to the Smart Meter. Showing only 'connecting to Smart Meter.....'

Hi @Jowl
    Yes please.
    One of the things we're still testing out in this pilot phase is all connections which have to be made between the IHD and the meters, as well as the wider area Smart network.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    so 24 hours on and the IHD is still bnot connecting to the Smart Meter. Showing only 'connecting to Smart Meter.....'

Hi @Jowl
    Yes please.
    One of the things we're still testing out in this pilot phase is all connections which have to be made between the IHD and the meters, as well as the wider area Smart network.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Jowl
    Yes please.
    so is My Smart meter talking to the network? Is there any way I can tell ? (appreciate I could probably read up/search in the forum for a bit more info on this)
    Hi @Jowl
    Yes please.
    so is My Smart meter talking to the network? Is there any way I can tell ? (appreciate I could probably read up/search in the forum for a bit more info on this)

• Hey @Jowl - I've been checking this out with our Smart team. Your electricity meter is communicating with the network, the IHD/PPMID doesn't always display information even if it's connected to the wider area network. When it does/doesn't display info is one of the things we're testing during these installs.

In this case, when your gas meter is installed (Magnum will be contacting you about this shortly) the engineer will also work on pairing your IHD/PPMID as it makes most sense to pair both electricity and gas at the same time.
  • Hey @Jowl - I've been checking this out with our Smart team. Your electricity meter is communicating with the network, the IHD/PPMID doesn't always display information even if it's connected to the wider area network. When it does/doesn't display info is one of the things we're testing during these installs.

In this case, when your gas meter is installed (Magnum will be contacting you about this shortly) the engineer will also work on pairing your IHD/PPMID as it makes most sense to pair both electricity and gas at the same time.

• Brilliant @Nataly - you must had read my mind. I was going to follow up on this and ask if my meter was communicating even if IHD is not. Good to know that it is.
    And makes total sense that we wait for the Gas meter before dealing with the IHD.

Thanks!
  • Brilliant @Nataly - you must had read my mind. I was going to follow up on this and ask if my meter was communicating even if IHD is not. Good to know that it is.
    And makes total sense that we wait for the Gas meter before dealing with the IHD.

Thanks!

• Hi.i have to say communication from Pure Planet on this has been poor. I was told I have been accepted on to the trial back in February but since then - in spite of providing the requested location details - I have had no further communication.
    I have also sent 2 or 3 private messages, which likewise have been ignored.
    When you request people to help with pilots, one of the important areas is communication.
    Can you please advise when I will receive some contact from you confirming that you've received my location details and that I am still part of the trial group?
    Thanks
  • Hi.i have to say communication from Pure Planet on this has been poor. I was told I have been accepted on to the trial back in February but since then - in spite of providing the requested location details - I have had no further communication.
    When you request people to help with pilots, one of the important areas is communication.
    Can you please advise when I will receive some contact from you confirming that you've received my location details and that I am still part of the trial group?
    Thanks

• Hi ckdash,
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, I too was accepted as part of the trial in February, I received a phone call last Tuesday and arranged installation this Tuesday 28th.
    It would seem that they are trying to group installs in areas that don't involve the engineers Criss crossing the country.
    Be patient, Your turn will come.
  • Hi ckdash,
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, I too was accepted as part of the trial in February, I received a phone call last Tuesday and arranged installation this Tuesday 28th.
    It would seem that they are trying to group installs in areas that don't involve the engineers Criss crossing the country.
    Be patient, Your turn will come.

• Thanks

Thanks Duppy. Absolutely agree it makes sense to organise by region. Still don't see why a couple of emails to that effect couldn't be sent out.
    Did you have gas and electricity? I'm interested to know what the meters are like size wise. We've got plenty of space but would be good to know.
  • Thanks Duppy. Absolutely agree it makes sense to organise by region. Still don't see why a couple of emails to that effect couldn't be sent out.
    Did you have gas and electricity? I'm interested to know what the meters are like size wise. We've got plenty of space but would be good to know.

• Quote Originally Posted by ckdash View Post
    Thanks Duppy. Absolutely agree it makes sense to organise by region. Still don't see why a couple of emails to that effect couldn't be sent out.

Hi ckdash.
    Smart meters not being installed until tomorrow, I'll let you know then.

Hi ckdash.
    Smart meters not being installed until tomorrow, I'll let you know then.

Hi.i have to say communication from Pure Planet on this has been poor. I was told I have been accepted on to the trial back in February but since then - in spite of providing the requested location details - I have had no further communication.
    Thanks
    Hi @ckdash
    Sorry that you've found the Smart meters pilot communications poor.
    We've been posting regularly here in the community. It's possible (likely in fact) that you haven't seen all of those.
    We're really grateful to everyone who put themselves forward for the pilot. We've had hundreds of Members willing to help. That's fantastic! But of course it does mean we can't include everyone.
    Also, as posted in earlier community updates, we've focused on the 'North' region of the UK first. This was due to the availability of meters and installers. (In the smart meter world, the 'North' is Manchester updwards). I believe you're in the East Midlands.
    You are indeed on our list of people interested in taking part in the trial. Given that we are still in the trial phase, this means not everyone who offered will automatically be contacted.
    Again, it's just a time/resource question, not personal!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    Hi.i have to say communication from Pure Planet on this has been poor. I was told I have been accepted on to the trial back in February but since then - in spite of providing the requested location details - I have had no further communication.
    Thanks
    Hi @ckdash
    Sorry that you've found the Smart meters pilot communications poor.
    We've been posting regularly here in the community. It's possible (likely in fact) that you haven't seen all of those.
    We're really grateful to everyone who put themselves forward for the pilot. We've had hundreds of Members willing to help. That's fantastic! But of course it does mean we can't include everyone.
    Also, as posted in earlier community updates, we've focused on the 'North' region of the UK first. This was due to the availability of meters and installers. (In the smart meter world, the 'North' is Manchester updwards). I believe you're in the East Midlands.
    You are indeed on our list of people interested in taking part in the trial. Given that we are still in the trial phase, this means not everyone who offered will automatically be contacted.
    Again, it's just a time/resource question, not personal!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Thanks Marc. I appreciate the update.
  • Thanks Marc. I appreciate the update.

• Hi ckdash. Here is the info you wanted re meter sizes

Electric
    17.5cm High
    13 cm. Wide
    17.5 cm High incl Comms unit

Gas

30cm High incl mounting bracket
    24cm. Wide
    15cm. Deep
  • Hi ckdash. Here is the info you wanted re meter sizes

Electric
    17.5cm High
    13 cm. Wide
    17.5 cm High incl Comms unit

Gas

30cm High incl mounting bracket
    24cm. Wide
    15cm. Deep

Hi @Gmac
    Great question!
    Hi Marc,

Another 6 weeks on and I’ve still not heard anything from Magnum?
    Hi @Gmac
    Great question!
    Hi Marc,

Another 6 weeks on and I’ve still not heard anything from Magnum?