• Smart meter registration

Had a cold call from Scottish Power wanting to give me a quote against our current usages for electricity and gas. So I told him straight away my monthly charge and he totted up the annual bill. Then asked me what my smart meter registration number was. I had no idea but he said that it wasn't a problem he could find out the meter registration numbers through my address. After being on the phone for an age I was told that my meter numbers were not registered against my address and this is highly irregular. Then carried on to eventually quote me a ridiculously low monthly rate and how much I could save. Oh and he kept asking who Pure Planet is because they are so small they're not even on the list of providers. So they will probably go bust like a lot of small providers have already....Anyway I told him Martin Lewis money-saving expert. Co. UK recommended Pure Planet. I then proceeded to tell this guy on the phone that his quotation did not add up and I am happy with Pure Planet. He then graciously backed off but his parting shot was that Pure Planet should provide a meter registration number. Is this correct?
    Last edited by Electricky; 15-04-19 at 19:23. Reason: Removing my name from the email
  • Had a cold call from Scottish Power wanting to give me a quote against our current usages for electricity and gas. So I told him straight away my monthly charge and he totted up the annual bill. Then asked me what my smart meter registration number was. I had no idea but he said that it wasn't a problem he could find out the meter registration numbers through my address. After being on the phone for an age I was told that my meter numbers were not registered against my address and this is highly irregular. Then carried on to eventually quote me a ridiculously low monthly rate and how much I could save. Oh and he kept asking who Pure Planet is because they are so small they're not even on the list of providers. So they will probably go bust like a lot of small providers have already....Anyway I told him Martin Lewis money-saving expert. Co. UK recommended Pure Planet. I then proceeded to tell this guy on the phone that his quotation did not add up and I am happy with Pure Planet. He then graciously backed off but his parting shot was that Pure Planet should provide a meter registration number. Is this correct?

• hi electricky
    Not sure which number he wanted
    Your MPAN, MPRN (meter point administration and reference (registration) numbers for elec/gas) and meter serial numbers appear on the statement and in the app when you go to send a meter reading. (You can't get to the gas serial unless you enter electric first I've repeatedly mentioned this but to no avail...yet..) that said he probably wanted to check your annual usage to quote, and that info was in your original quote and expected use should be on the statement also but I'd take those statement figures with a pinch of salt - they vary month to month and are (by my calculations) wrong on my statement.
    ​Were you with SP at some point? How did they get your phone number?
    If he gave you a low rate without confirming your usage he has deliberately attempted to mis-sell and that is illegal.
    I know what I'd do in those circumstances, you might be quite savvy but there are many gullible people out there..
    Quote Originally Posted by Electricky View Post
    Had a cold call from Scottish Power wanting to give me a quote against our current usages for electricity and gas. So I told him straight away my monthly charge and he totted up the annual bill. Then asked me what my smart meter registration number was. I had no idea but he said that it wasn't a problem he could find out the meter registration numbers through my address. After being on the phone for an age I was told that my meter numbers were not registered against my address and this is highly irregular. Then carried on to eventually quote me a rediculously low monthly rate and how much I could save. Oh and kept asking who Pure Planet is because they are so small they're not even on the list of providers. So they will probably go bust like a lot of small providers have already....Anyway I told him his quotation did not add up and was happy with Pure Planet. He then graciously backed off but his parting shot was that Pure Planet should provide a meter registration number. Is that correct?
    Mark
    Last edited by woz; 15-04-19 at 19:27.
  • hi electricky
    Not sure which number he wanted
    Your MPAN, MPRN (meter point administration and reference (registration) numbers for elec/gas) and meter serial numbers appear on the statement and in the app when you go to send a meter reading. (You can't get to the gas serial unless you enter electric first I've repeatedly mentioned this but to no avail...yet..) that said he probably wanted to check your annual usage to quote, and that info was in your original quote and expected use should be on the statement also but I'd take those statement figures with a pinch of salt - they vary month to month and are (by my calculations) wrong on my statement.
    ​Were you with SP at some point? How did they get your phone number?
    If he gave you a low rate without confirming your usage he has deliberately attempted to mis-sell and that is illegal.
    I know what I'd do in those circumstances, you might be quite savvy but there are many gullible people out there..
    Quote Originally Posted by Electricky View Post
    Had a cold call from Scottish Power wanting to give me a quote against our current usages for electricity and gas. So I told him straight away my monthly charge and he totted up the annual bill. Then asked me what my smart meter registration number was. I had no idea but he said that it wasn't a problem he could find out the meter registration numbers through my address. After being on the phone for an age I was told that my meter numbers were not registered against my address and this is highly irregular. Then carried on to eventually quote me a rediculously low monthly rate and how much I could save. Oh and kept asking who Pure Planet is because they are so small they're not even on the list of providers. So they will probably go bust like a lot of small providers have already....Anyway I told him his quotation did not add up and was happy with Pure Planet. He then graciously backed off but his parting shot was that Pure Planet should provide a meter registration number. Is that correct?
    Mark