• Quote Originally Posted by Ian31 View Post
    I had a smart meter instal which went well in terms of booking the time etc, but the engineer said he could not instal to my type of gas meter. So I have a working electricity smart meter but still have to manually submit my gas readings. I was never asked what sort of gas meter I had and didn't think there might be "wrong" sorts of meter. Don't know where i go from here as I'm missing the main benefit of automatic readings for bills. Do i need a new meter? Or a different type of smart box?
    What type of gas meter do you have @Ian31 ?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

I had a smart meter instal which went well in terms of booking the time etc, but the engineer said he could not instal to my type of gas meter. So I have a working electricity smart meter but still have to manually submit my gas readings. I was never asked what sort of gas meter I had and didn't think there might be "wrong" sorts of meter. Don't know where i go from here as I'm missing the main benefit of automatic readings for bills. Do i need a new meter? Or a different type of smart box?
    What type of gas meter do you have @Ian31 ?

• It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  • It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.
    Thanks @Ian31
    Ah, mystery solved. You've got a U16 gas meter. It's a commercial gas meter. Very rare to see these in domestic properties.
    Currently there are no smart meters for U16s.

It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.
    Thanks @Ian31
    Ah, mystery solved. You've got a U16 gas meter. It's a commercial gas meter. Very rare to see these in domestic properties.
    Currently there are no smart meters for U16s.

• So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?
  • So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?

So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?
    Hi @Ian31
    First of all you'd need to arrange a gas safe engineer to carry out a maximum load test, to see if it's safe to downgrade it to a normal gas meter.
    Assuming it is, you'd then have to wait for us to install it for you. This isn't something we're offering just yet, as we're still in the pilot phase of our SMETS2 installs.
    I think you'd be better off waiting for now.

So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?
    Hi @Ian31
    First of all you'd need to arrange a gas safe engineer to carry out a maximum load test, to see if it's safe to downgrade it to a normal gas meter.
    Assuming it is, you'd then have to wait for us to install it for you. This isn't something we're offering just yet, as we're still in the pilot phase of our SMETS2 installs.
    I think you'd be better off waiting for now.