• We’re looking into IHD display issues reported by some Members in our Smart meters pilot

Just to let Members who are part of our Smart meter pilot know that we’re looking into an in-home display (IHD) issue.

Some Pure Planet Members who’ve had a second generation (aka ‘SMETS2’) meter installed by us are reporting that their energy use isn’t always showing on their IHD.

When we fit a SMETS2, we also install a ‘communication hub’ on top of the electricity meter. This creates a ‘home area network’ which means it can read your meter usage and display it on your IHD.

(The comms hub also sends the usage data to us, via wider data networks).

Right now our Smart meter team is investigating why some Members’ IHDs are not displaying their energy usage. There are a few occasions where the data has shown correctly for several days after installation — electricity data on the left hand side of the IHD and gas on the right, and the cost in £ — then stopped.

Name:  Pure Planet smart meter IHD in home display.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  737.0 KB

We believe that the issue is caused by connectivity issues between the comms hubs and the IHDs.

If this is happening to you, there are a few things you can do to:

• Firstly (and sorry about this!) try the classic IT solution to everything - switch your IHD off and on again.
    • You should also move it closer to the comms hub which sits on top of your Smart electricity meter. Plug your IHD into the socket which is closest to your electricity meter
    • Check the signal strength by pressing the IHD's home button once while on the home screen then selecting ‘System status’ from the menu
    • If your IHD display is off, press any button and the screen should come back on. If it doesn’t then check the power cord to ensure it’s plugged in. If the IHD is being powered by batteries, they may need to be replaced. Batteries will last about 4 hours so you should use the power adaptor supplied with your IHD.
    • Check out this longer FAQ on using your new smart meter and IHD

If you’ve followed these steps and still not seeing any data on your IHD please contact our Member services team via WattBot in your account. It’s not a live-chat service but the team will reply within one working day.
    When you message the team it would be great if you could have some info ready for us, as this will really help us to fix the issue. This includes:

• Has the IHD displayed your electricity and gas usage? If it was, but suddenly stopped showing the data, it would be great to know the date and time (approx) when it stopped.
    • Where is the IHD located and how far is it from the meter(s)?
    • Can you think of anything which might be blocking the communication between your meter(s) and the IHD, such as thick walls, large radiators?

Thanks again for taking part in our Smart meter pilot. We know some of you have experienced frustrations with installations. This has helped us smooth out some early teething issues before we start to roll these out to thousands of our Members.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Just to let Members who are part of our Smart meter pilot know that we’re looking into an in-home display (IHD) issue.

Some Pure Planet Members who’ve had a second generation (aka ‘SMETS2’) meter installed by us are reporting that their energy use isn’t always showing on their IHD.

When we fit a SMETS2, we also install a ‘communication hub’ on top of the electricity meter. This creates a ‘home area network’ which means it can read your meter usage and display it on your IHD.

(The comms hub also sends the usage data to us, via wider data networks).

Right now our Smart meter team is investigating why some Members’ IHDs are not displaying their energy usage. There are a few occasions where the data has shown correctly for several days after installation — electricity data on the left hand side of the IHD and gas on the right, and the cost in £ — then stopped.

Name:  Pure Planet smart meter IHD in home display.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  737.0 KB

We believe that the issue is caused by connectivity issues between the comms hubs and the IHDs.

If this is happening to you, there are a few things you can do to:

• Firstly (and sorry about this!) try the classic IT solution to everything - switch your IHD off and on again.
    • You should also move it closer to the comms hub which sits on top of your Smart electricity meter. Plug your IHD into the socket which is closest to your electricity meter
    • Check the signal strength by pressing the IHD's home button once while on the home screen then selecting ‘System status’ from the menu
    • If your IHD display is off, press any button and the screen should come back on. If it doesn’t then check the power cord to ensure it’s plugged in. If the IHD is being powered by batteries, they may need to be replaced. Batteries will last about 4 hours so you should use the power adaptor supplied with your IHD.
    • Check out this longer FAQ on using your new smart meter and IHD

If you’ve followed these steps and still not seeing any data on your IHD please contact our Member services team via WattBot in your account. It’s not a live-chat service but the team will reply within one working day.
    When you message the team it would be great if you could have some info ready for us, as this will really help us to fix the issue. This includes:

• Has the IHD displayed your electricity and gas usage? If it was, but suddenly stopped showing the data, it would be great to know the date and time (approx) when it stopped.
    • Where is the IHD located and how far is it from the meter(s)?
    • Can you think of anything which might be blocking the communication between your meter(s) and the IHD, such as thick walls, large radiators?

Thanks again for taking part in our Smart meter pilot. We know some of you have experienced frustrations with installations. This has helped us smooth out some early teething issues before we start to roll these out to thousands of our Members.

• Smart meter just installed - not working properly

Yesterday I had my smart meter installed.

For hours, the gas didn't show until I went out and pushed a button in the gas meter. Seems to now show, but what doesn't appear to be happening is showing in graphical terms the current usage.

Although the electrical part of the meter shows in pence the changes in amount of electric used, the needle doesn't move. Likewise, the gas 'flame' doesn't change to show more gas being used.

Am I missing something?
  • Yesterday I had my smart meter installed.

For hours, the gas didn't show until I went out and pushed a button in the gas meter. Seems to now show, but what doesn't appear to be happening is showing in graphical terms the current usage.

Although the electrical part of the meter shows in pence the changes in amount of electric used, the needle doesn't move. Likewise, the gas 'flame' doesn't change to show more gas being used.

Am I missing something?

• Good morning @Brentstarburst
    I've moved your post to this thread. Take a look at the info above
    Hope this helps!

• Good morning @Brentstarburst
    I've moved your post to this thread. Take a look at the info above
    Hope this helps!

• Hi @Brentstarburst

Firstly thank you for being a part of our smart meter pilot

The issue you are describing is something we are aware of. We believe we may have found a solution for this issue. Can you please try turn off the IHD for 30 seconds and power it back on.

Let us know how it works out.
  • Hi @Brentstarburst

Firstly thank you for being a part of our smart meter pilot

The issue you are describing is something we are aware of. We believe we may have found a solution for this issue. Can you please try turn off the IHD for 30 seconds and power it back on.

Let us know how it works out.

• Update for you on my installation.
    The advice to check how far away the IHD and the meters are from each other and also whether there are any thick walls between them is definitely worth noting. My meters are on an outside wall with a garage and 2 thick stone walls between them and the main house. My IHD showed 2 bars of signal inside the house but wasn't receiving data and the connection to the meters would randomly drop out (probably due to interference or poor radio signal output). Moving the IHD closer to the meters has resolved the issue and it now displays everything correctly.

I just need to find somewhere in the house now that maintains signal rather than leaving it powered by batteries in the middle of the garage...
  • Update for you on my installation.
    The advice to check how far away the IHD and the meters are from each other and also whether there are any thick walls between them is definitely worth noting. My meters are on an outside wall with a garage and 2 thick stone walls between them and the main house. My IHD showed 2 bars of signal inside the house but wasn't receiving data and the connection to the meters would randomly drop out (probably due to interference or poor radio signal output). Moving the IHD closer to the meters has resolved the issue and it now displays everything correctly.

I just need to find somewhere in the house now that maintains signal rather than leaving it powered by batteries in the middle of the garage...

• Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post

Realistically speaking do you really need the IHD permanently turned on, mine is plugged in and sitting on top of electric meter cupboard, I only glance at it occasionally and it hasn't changed my energy consumption. I still turn lights on when dark, wash clothes when dirty, dry them if it's raining etc.Ths only thing I have found useful is the running totals on the display, as I used to take readings each week, now I no longer bother
  • Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post

Realistically speaking do you really need the IHD permanently turned on, mine is plugged in and sitting on top of electric meter cupboard, I only glance at it occasionally and it hasn't changed my energy consumption. I still turn lights on when dark, wash clothes when dirty, dry them if it's raining etc.Ths only thing I have found useful is the running totals on the display, as I used to take readings each week, now I no longer bother