• Ask Your Smart Meter Technical Questions Here

Hi
    This thread is for any 'technical' questions about Smart Meters.

'Technical' in a broad sense, nothing is off limits, from installs, reading the screens, details about the In-Home-Display, communications...anything goes (..well almost anything...).

The idea is that anyone can contribute a reply, you don't have to be an expert, although expertise is always welcome. Hopefully over time a repository of information will build up to help all.

I know Leyton did a Q&A HERE but that's a closed thread now, so if anyone has any techy questions ask here and hopefully someone will know the answer, or maybe where to find it.

I'll start the ball rolling..
    Has anyone who has had a SM fitted by PP and who is on Economy 7 noticed any change in the timings when it switches to night rate from what they were previously, and does the In-Home-Display tell you when it switches?
  • Hi
    This thread is for any 'technical' questions about Smart Meters.

'Technical' in a broad sense, nothing is off limits, from installs, reading the screens, details about the In-Home-Display, communications...anything goes (..well almost anything...).

The idea is that anyone can contribute a reply, you don't have to be an expert, although expertise is always welcome. Hopefully over time a repository of information will build up to help all.

I know Leyton did a Q&A HERE but that's a closed thread now, so if anyone has any techy questions ask here and hopefully someone will know the answer, or maybe where to find it.

I'll start the ball rolling..
    Has anyone who has had a SM fitted by PP and who is on Economy 7 noticed any change in the timings when it switches to night rate from what they were previously, and does the In-Home-Display tell you when it switches?

• Hi, has anyone else had issues with the IHD?.
    The needle in my electric display never moves, even when I'm using quite a lot. And the green light on the front never changes from green. I assume it is supposed to change to amber and red depending on usage?
  • Hi, has anyone else had issues with the IHD?.
    The needle in my electric display never moves, even when I'm using quite a lot. And the green light on the front never changes from green. I assume it is supposed to change to amber and red depending on usage?

• hi Angela
    ​Is it communicating with the meter in other respects?
    Is an electronic version of the instruction manual for the IHD available (a pdf)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    Hi, has anyone else had issues with the IHD?.
  • hi Angela
    ​Is it communicating with the meter in other respects?
    Is an electronic version of the instruction manual for the IHD available (a pdf)?
    Hi, has anyone else had issues with the IHD?.

• Hi Woz, yes it seems to be communicating with the meter ok. It doesn't say anything on the booklet which came with it, and pdf online is the same.
    Last edited by Angelabikerbabe; 15-04-19 at 14:21.
  • Hi Woz, yes it seems to be communicating with the meter ok. It doesn't say anything on the booklet which came with it, and pdf online is the same.

• hi Angela
    Maybe your idea of a lot and theirs differ...can you post a link to the online pdf?
    Hi Woz, yes it seems to be communicating with the meter ok. It doesn't say anything on the booklet which came with it, and pdf online is the same.
  • hi Angela
    Maybe your idea of a lot and theirs differ...can you post a link to the online pdf?
    Hi Woz, yes it seems to be communicating with the meter ok. It doesn't say anything on the booklet which came with it, and pdf online is the same.

• Hi Woz, here's the link
    https://support.geotogether.com/en/s...ton-user-guide

I thought I had ssomething to do with the 'usage level' in the advanced menu, but there us no usage level button showing on my IHD
    Last edited by Angelabikerbabe; 16-04-19 at 07:04.
  • Hi Woz, here's the link

I thought I had ssomething to do with the 'usage level' in the advanced menu, but there us no usage level button showing on my IHD

• Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    Hi Woz, here's the link

Hi @Angelabikerbabe
    Niall from our Member services team is checking this out for you.
    He's emailed you asking for a bit of info
    Some pics of what the IHD is showing will be really useful.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    Hi Woz, here's the link

Hi @Angelabikerbabe
    Niall from our Member services team is checking this out for you.
    He's emailed you asking for a bit of info
    Some pics of what the IHD is showing will be really useful.

• Thanks Angela
    Hi Woz, here's the link

• Thanks Angela
    Hi Woz, here's the link

• Thererein possibly lies a clue, it says in the manual of the scaling options under advanced (I have no idea how to select advanced, presumably it's an option in the menu?)
    This option is only available whenyou have an electricity smartmeter and the usage level is notprovided by the meter.

So that tells me that the meter needs to send some information to do with the scaling of the display, and that's probably the bit that isn't working correctly. That's a complete guess based on the fact that manual scaling should be available when the meter doesn't send usage info.
    Question for @Marc, can and do PP (or have they done) change the meter configuration remotely?
    ​Also does the IHD come with the wifi module?
    Hi Woz, here's the link

Last edited by woz; 16-04-19 at 17:51.
  • Thererein possibly lies a clue, it says in the manual of the scaling options under advanced (I have no idea how to select advanced, presumably it's an option in the menu?)
    This option is only available whenyou have an electricity smartmeter and the usage level is notprovided by the meter.

So that tells me that the meter needs to send some information to do with the scaling of the display, and that's probably the bit that isn't working correctly. That's a complete guess based on the fact that manual scaling should be available when the meter doesn't send usage info.
    Question for @Marc, can and do PP (or have they done) change the meter configuration remotely?
    ​Also does the IHD come with the wifi module?
    Hi Woz, here's the link

• Hi Marc,
    yes I have replied to Nialls email with a pic.
    cheers
    ​Angela
  • Hi Marc,
    yes I have replied to Nialls email with a pic.
    cheers
    ​Angela

• @Angelabikerbabe
    hi Angela
    is there a reset settings button under advanced settings?

Hi Woz, here's the link

• @Angelabikerbabe
    hi Angela
    is there a reset settings button under advanced settings?

Hi Woz, here's the link

• Hi Woz, yes there is. Wasn't sure whether to use it, didn't want to buggar it up.
  • Hi Woz, yes there is. Wasn't sure whether to use it, didn't want to buggar it up.

• yeah it's a bit of a nuclear option, I can feel my finger twitching...maybe wait for some feedback from marc before you launch...
    Hi Woz, yes there is. Wasn't sure whether to use it, didn't want to buggar it up.
  • yeah it's a bit of a nuclear option, I can feel my finger twitching...maybe wait for some feedback from marc before you launch...
    Hi Woz, yes there is. Wasn't sure whether to use it, didn't want to buggar it up.

• Hi @Angelabikerbabe @woz
    ​Did you press the button?

• Hi @Angelabikerbabe @woz

• Just looking at the meter and it uses 5v 1A USB. So should work in the power sockers with USB built-in. Which means I don't need the 3-pin wall wart
  • Just looking at the meter and it uses 5v 1A USB. So should work in the power sockers with USB built-in. Which means I don't need the 3-pin wall wart

• hi Jowl
    I assume you mean the in-home-display?
    Does the manual say you can power it from that socket?
    Does the end of the power adapter (wall wart) go into that socket?
    Does it come with a power lead for that purpose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    Just looking at the meter and it uses 5v 1A USB. So should work in the power sockers with USB built-in. Which means I don't need the 3-pin wall wart
  • hi Jowl
    Just looking at the meter and it uses 5v 1A USB. So should work in the power sockers with USB built-in. Which means I don't need the 3-pin wall wart

• hi Jowl,(why Jowl?)
  • hi Jowl,(why Jowl?)

• Angela I think we can take it that if it bursts into flames you can blame @Marc...ahem...
    go on I dare you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Angelabikerbabe @woz
  • Angela I think we can take it that if it bursts into flames you can blame @Marc...ahem...
    go on I dare you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Angelabikerbabe @woz

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi Jowl,(why Jowl?)
    You ask a lot of questions lol

Jowl becuase my Initial plus I'm an Owl (Sheffield Wednesday fan)

Yes it comes with a Plug to USB adapter and the IHD is then powered by the USB cable. The 13A power sockets with usb will give a minimum 2.4A, sometimes shared by both sockets. But it means you can plug in the IHD and still charge your phone (albiet slowly)
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi Jowl,(why Jowl?)

Yes it comes with a Plug to USB adapter and the IHD is then powered by the USB cable. The 13A power sockets with usb will give a minimum 2.4A, sometimes shared by both sockets. But it means you can plug in the IHD and still charge your phone (albiet slowly)

• haaa, yes I did, sorry...I was just checking that the USB socket wasn't for some other function..like interrogating the device.
    (for some reason when I see your name I think of the Film Cujo...)
    I bet the IHD only takes a few hundred milliamps, plenty left for the phone (ipad might struggle just a little)

• haaa, yes I did, sorry...I was just checking that the USB socket wasn't for some other function..like interrogating the device.
    (for some reason when I see your name I think of the Film Cujo...)
    I bet the IHD only takes a few hundred milliamps, plenty left for the phone (ipad might struggle just a little)