• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Gabolino
    Yes, that'll be the reason.
    Did the engineer not explain that the IHD may not connect?
    He did. He asked me to keep trying for about 48 hours though.

I guess the real deal would seeing usage on the app real time... One day
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Gabolino
    Yes, that'll be the reason.
    Did the engineer not explain that the IHD may not connect?
    He did. He asked me to keep trying for about 48 hours though.

I guess the real deal would seeing usage on the app real time... One day

• Hi,

Do we have any idea how much electricity the IHD’s use.

We are concerned as we switched to batteries which lasted for only a few hours so seems like they are a heavy drain on power.

Currently with all the problems it’s not really providing anything useful so thinking of turning it off and saving on the electricity.

Would turning the IHD off have any downsides?

Regards
    Kevin & Sylvie
  • Hi,

Do we have any idea how much electricity the IHD’s use.

We are concerned as we switched to batteries which lasted for only a few hours so seems like they are a heavy drain on power.

Currently with all the problems it’s not really providing anything useful so thinking of turning it off and saving on the electricity.

Would turning the IHD off have any downsides?

Regards
    Kevin & Sylvie

• hi K&S
    none whatsoever with the caveat that you don’t accidentally leave some appliance on and forget about it.
    (but you would be in the same position if you'd never had it!)
    There was a post on here somewhere which said how much it cost a year, but I can’t find it.

​Late Edit
    The specification on the device states the input power is 0.5W, I simply don't believe that figure, you can't light up a screen and power a device like that for 0.5W, it's simply not possible. (Note: When it's lit up. Is it permanently lit or does it wake up? I don't have one to test)
    My estimate depending on the above would be between 1 and 3 watts each watt is about £1.30/year. so a few £ a year

It isn’t intended to be run for long periods from batteries but they should last longer than that, maybe the batteries weren’t good or maybe they still drain even when it's powered. (hmmm I wonder if PP will give me one to test...)
    ​I would never buy batteries for it, if I was going to use batteries I'd use rechargeables.

Anyway all that aside ...no downside that I can think of, and if you need to submit readings you can always read the meter.
    Last edited by woz; 26-08-19 at 12:46.
  • hi K&S
    none whatsoever with the caveat that you don’t accidentally leave some appliance on and forget about it.
    (but you would be in the same position if you'd never had it!)
    There was a post on here somewhere which said how much it cost a year, but I can’t find it.

​Late Edit
    The specification on the device states the input power is 0.5W, I simply don't believe that figure, you can't light up a screen and power a device like that for 0.5W, it's simply not possible. (Note: When it's lit up. Is it permanently lit or does it wake up? I don't have one to test)
    My estimate depending on the above would be between 1 and 3 watts each watt is about £1.30/year. so a few £ a year

It isn’t intended to be run for long periods from batteries but they should last longer than that, maybe the batteries weren’t good or maybe they still drain even when it's powered. (hmmm I wonder if PP will give me one to test...)
    ​I would never buy batteries for it, if I was going to use batteries I'd use rechargeables.

Anyway all that aside ...no downside that I can think of, and if you need to submit readings you can always read the meter.

• Hi K&S
    Here is a link to the Geo website

https://support.geotogether.com/en/s...t-cost-to-run-

Hope that helps
  • Hi K&S

Hope that helps

• Thanks Duppy I've edited my reply above and will be posting about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
    Hi K&S

Hope that helps
  • Thanks Duppy I've edited my reply above and will be posting about this.
    Hi K&S

Hope that helps

• Hi woz
    In answer to your question about the display, you can set it to power saving mode turning off/ wake up the display at your preset times.if you touch the home button while display is off it will come back on again
    Also states batteries only last about 3 hours and not to use rechargeable batteries, which is not very environmentally friendly
  • Hi woz
    In answer to your question about the display, you can set it to power saving mode turning off/ wake up the display at your preset times.if you touch the home button while display is off it will come back on again
    Also states batteries only last about 3 hours and not to use rechargeable batteries, which is not very environmentally friendly

• I don't believe the quoted power consumption on the Trio (IHD) website or in the manual.
    That specification defies physics, you cannot light up a screen and run the electronics for 0.5W, and what I think has happened here is one of two things, one of which is worse than the other.

Either
    1. This should say 0.5A, in which case at 5V this would be 2.5W (this would be believable)
    or
    2. It should say 5W (a bit high but possible)

The claim of <£1 a year is based on 0.5W
    At PPprices 0.5W is circa £0.65
    My estimate would be between £3 and £4 a year.

If the display is not lit and the unit is not doing anything then it is possible it could be taking less than 1W but that isn't typical.
    As I said above I don't have one to test.

(Also there is the power factor of the supply to be taken into account, which determines how much it's taking from the grid -it could have a poor power factor, which won't cost the consumer but will cost the grid)

I await someone with an accurate power meter telling me I'm wrong...(in this case I'd be happy to be wrong)
    Last edited by woz; 26-08-19 at 13:33.
  • I don't believe the quoted power consumption on the Trio (IHD) website or in the manual.
    That specification defies physics, you cannot light up a screen and run the electronics for 0.5W, and what I think has happened here is one of two things, one of which is worse than the other.

Either
    1. This should say 0.5A, in which case at 5V this would be 2.5W (this would be believable)
    or
    2. It should say 5W (a bit high but possible)

The claim of <£1 a year is based on 0.5W
    At PPprices 0.5W is circa £0.65
    My estimate would be between £3 and £4 a year.

If the display is not lit and the unit is not doing anything then it is possible it could be taking less than 1W but that isn't typical.
    As I said above I don't have one to test.

(Also there is the power factor of the supply to be taken into account, which determines how much it's taking from the grid -it could have a poor power factor, which won't cost the consumer but will cost the grid)

I await someone with an accurate power meter telling me I'm wrong...(in this case I'd be happy to be wrong)

• Thanks Duppy
    ​so they may have quoted an absolute minimum, rather than a typical.
    and the battery situation proves that to be the case.
    ​Even a poor set of alkaline should power it for longer than a few hours if it was 0.5W
    If it was properly designed it would run down to 3.0V, (nimH are nominally 1.2V) thus allowing rechargeables. I'm not impressed
    I would also argue that there is not much point in having it if it's switched to standby but that's a different argument.

The whole concept of Smart Metering isn't very environmentally friendly is it?
    Think millions of IHD's and meter electronics that weren't there before..

Hi woz
    Last edited by woz; 26-08-19 at 13:38.
  • Thanks Duppy
    ​so they may have quoted an absolute minimum, rather than a typical.
    and the battery situation proves that to be the case.
    ​Even a poor set of alkaline should power it for longer than a few hours if it was 0.5W
    If it was properly designed it would run down to 3.0V, (nimH are nominally 1.2V) thus allowing rechargeables. I'm not impressed
    I would also argue that there is not much point in having it if it's switched to standby but that's a different argument.

The whole concept of Smart Metering isn't very environmentally friendly is it?
    Think millions of IHD's and meter electronics that weren't there before..

Hi woz

• How ugly are the new generation of smart gas meters? My existing gas meter dominates the living room wall and I’m concerned that the new one will be even worse. My daughter’s first generation smart gas meter looks like one of the old meters with a couple of extra lumps bolted on.
  • How ugly are the new generation of smart gas meters? My existing gas meter dominates the living room wall and I’m concerned that the new one will be even worse. My daughter’s first generation smart gas meter looks like one of the old meters with a couple of extra lumps bolted on.

• hi Parsleigh (great name by the way)
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    There are a couple of photos on page 2 of the thread, there may be more than one type of course.
    Could it not be disguised with a box or similar?
    What's on the other side of the wall? You don't often get meters in the living room?

Quote Originally Posted by Parsleigh View Post
    How ugly are the new generation of smart gas meters? My existing gas meter dominates the living room wall and I’m concerned that the new one will be even worse. My daughter’s first generation smart gas meter looks like one of the old meters with a couple of extra lumps bolted on.
  • hi Parsleigh (great name by the way)
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    There are a couple of photos on page 2 of the thread, there may be more than one type of course.
    Could it not be disguised with a box or similar?
    What's on the other side of the wall? You don't often get meters in the living room?

Quote Originally Posted by Parsleigh View Post
    How ugly are the new generation of smart gas meters? My existing gas meter dominates the living room wall and I’m concerned that the new one will be even worse. My daughter’s first generation smart gas meter looks like one of the old meters with a couple of extra lumps bolted on.

• Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I can confirm the IHD is set in power saving mode which means 5e screen display is blank except hen one of the buttons is touched. It only stays on for a few seconds after use so don’t think the screen will be using much power.

We had it in that mode when on brand new good name batteries but they only lasted a few hours and batteries were dead. So looks like something else is draining power other than the screen.

The device seems to constantly communicate with both the gas and electricity meter and check the signal. My guess this is using the most power but I’m no expert.

I don’t have a power meter to check how much power is being drained but think I will power off the IHD as it serves little purpose. I can always power on once a month when I need to send readings (which I will have to do manually for now but can’t because of a bug but that’s another story)

If I find a way of measuring the power I’ll update.

Regards
    Kevin
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I can confirm the IHD is set in power saving mode which means 5e screen display is blank except hen one of the buttons is touched. It only stays on for a few seconds after use so don’t think the screen will be using much power.

We had it in that mode when on brand new good name batteries but they only lasted a few hours and batteries were dead. So looks like something else is draining power other than the screen.

The device seems to constantly communicate with both the gas and electricity meter and check the signal. My guess this is using the most power but I’m no expert.

I don’t have a power meter to check how much power is being drained but think I will power off the IHD as it serves little purpose. I can always power on once a month when I need to send readings (which I will have to do manually for now but can’t because of a bug but that’s another story)

If I find a way of measuring the power I’ll update.

Regards
    Kevin

• Hi KevinandSylvie,
    The IHD does indeed constantly communicate with the meters with electric usage shown almost instantly, and gas updates every half hour.
    The IHD manual states it should not be used on batteries for prolonged periods and the power supply should be used. I agree with woz about the stated power consumption, you would expect the batteries to last months
    If you intend to use the display as a means of reading your meters, I would be wary of powering off the display, as mine has not reconnected after being unplugged, it has now been a week, so waiting to see if PP can do anything their end to get it to connect.
    Last edited by Duppy; 07-09-19 at 08:56.
  • Hi KevinandSylvie,
    The IHD does indeed constantly communicate with the meters with electric usage shown almost instantly, and gas updates every half hour.
    The IHD manual states it should not be used on batteries for prolonged periods and the power supply should be used. I agree with woz about the stated power consumption, you would expect the batteries to last months
    If you intend to use the display as a means of reading your meters, I would be wary of powering off the display, as mine has not reconnected after being unplugged, it has now been a week, so waiting to see if PP can do anything their end to get it to connect.

• Hi again as said my IHD fitted on Wednesday and still not connecting it's only 4ft away from my meters as well . Not holding out much hope it will ever work . Might just bin it .👍
  • Hi again as said my IHD fitted on Wednesday and still not connecting it's only 4ft away from my meters as well . Not holding out much hope it will ever work . Might just bin it .👍

• Post Trial Instructions
    1.Place IHD in draw (take out the batteries)
    2.Wait for the update (hopefully soon but don't hold your breath)
    3.Hope for the best, try it again when problems are solved.
    4. Optional...Blame the DCC and the meter developers. Consider moving to the South if you're in the North.
    5. or choose one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zxs View Post
    Hi again as said my IHD fitted on Wednesday and still not connecting it's only 4ft away from my meters as well . Not holding out much hope it will ever work . Might just bin it .������
  • Post Trial Instructions
    1.Place IHD in draw (take out the batteries)
    2.Wait for the update (hopefully soon but don't hold your breath)
    3.Hope for the best, try it again when problems are solved.
    4. Optional...Blame the DCC and the meter developers. Consider moving to the South if you're in the North.
    5. or choose one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zxs View Post
    Hi again as said my IHD fitted on Wednesday and still not connecting it's only 4ft away from my meters as well . Not holding out much hope it will ever work . Might just bin it .������

• Smart Meter Reading

Good morning,
    My smart meters were installed on August 13th. My new account statement shows that PP are estimating my consumption for electricity and for gas. Further, my IHD can't see the meter at a distance of about 6 feet.
    Are you (or your contractor) struggling to get my meters working? Anything I can do to help?

I just submitted my own meter readings. The gas reading was 8 m^3 and the electricity 246 kWh. The system didn't like those numbers, at all! :-D

Best,
    Stephen.
    Last edited by StevieBee; 10-09-19 at 09:41. Reason: Additional info
  • Good morning,
    My smart meters were installed on August 13th. My new account statement shows that PP are estimating my consumption for electricity and for gas. Further, my IHD can't see the meter at a distance of about 6 feet.
    Are you (or your contractor) struggling to get my meters working? Anything I can do to help?

I just submitted my own meter readings. The gas reading was 8 m^3 and the electricity 246 kWh. The system didn't like those numbers, at all! :-D

Best,
    Stephen.

• My smart meter was installed early this month and only the gas data was received on the Geo display. It has never picked up any electricity readings.

No the gas has stopped working. This display only allows me to see status !!

George

- - - Updated - - -

...No the gas... should read ...now the gas...
  • My smart meter was installed early this month and only the gas data was received on the Geo display. It has never picked up any electricity readings.

No the gas has stopped working. This display only allows me to see status !!

George

- - - Updated - - -

...No the gas... should read ...now the gas...

• Quote Originally Posted by StevieBee View Post
    Good morning,

Best,
    Stephen.
    Hi @StevieBee
    Have you seen this post about IHD issues?
    And also this one about the need to keep sending us meter readings for now.
    Hope it's helpful
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by StevieBee View Post
    Good morning,

Best,
    Stephen.
    Hi @StevieBee
    Have you seen this post about IHD issues?
    And also this one about the need to keep sending us meter readings for now.
    Hope it's helpful
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Do the technical not have an answer yet?
  • Do the technical not have an answer yet?

• I had a smart meter instal which went well in terms of booking the time etc, but the engineer said he could not instal to my type of gas meter. So I have a working electricity smart meter but still have to manually submit my gas readings. I was never asked what sort of gas meter I had and didn't think there might be "wrong" sorts of meter. Don't know where i go from here as I'm missing the main benefit of automatic readings for bills. Do i need a new meter? Or a different type of smart box?
  • I had a smart meter instal which went well in terms of booking the time etc, but the engineer said he could not instal to my type of gas meter. So I have a working electricity smart meter but still have to manually submit my gas readings. I was never asked what sort of gas meter I had and didn't think there might be "wrong" sorts of meter. Don't know where i go from here as I'm missing the main benefit of automatic readings for bills. Do i need a new meter? Or a different type of smart box?

• Think my smart meter display unit is faulty.

It’s showing stupid readings.

Tried to change settings but goes back to showing extreme activity. (3kw at full needle swing.)

How do I repair/fix/get a replacement?

Trio II
  • Think my smart meter display unit is faulty.

It’s showing stupid readings.

Tried to change settings but goes back to showing extreme activity. (3kw at full needle swing.)

How do I repair/fix/get a replacement?

Trio II