• Quote Originally Posted by Ian31 View Post
    I had a smart meter instal which went well in terms of booking the time etc, but the engineer said he could not instal to my type of gas meter. So I have a working electricity smart meter but still have to manually submit my gas readings. I was never asked what sort of gas meter I had and didn't think there might be "wrong" sorts of meter. Don't know where i go from here as I'm missing the main benefit of automatic readings for bills. Do i need a new meter? Or a different type of smart box?
    What type of gas meter do you have @Ian31 ?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

I had a smart meter instal which went well in terms of booking the time etc, but the engineer said he could not instal to my type of gas meter. So I have a working electricity smart meter but still have to manually submit my gas readings. I was never asked what sort of gas meter I had and didn't think there might be "wrong" sorts of meter. Don't know where i go from here as I'm missing the main benefit of automatic readings for bills. Do i need a new meter? Or a different type of smart box?
    What type of gas meter do you have @Ian31 ?

• It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  • It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.
    Thanks @Ian31
    Ah, mystery solved. You've got a U16 gas meter. It's a commercial gas meter. Very rare to see these in domestic properties.
    Currently there are no smart meters for U16s.

It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.
    Thanks @Ian31
    Ah, mystery solved. You've got a U16 gas meter. It's a commercial gas meter. Very rare to see these in domestic properties.
    Currently there are no smart meters for U16s.

• So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?
  • So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?

So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?
    Hi @Ian31
    First of all you'd need to arrange a gas safe engineer to carry out a maximum load test, to see if it's safe to downgrade it to a normal gas meter.
    Assuming it is, you'd then have to wait for us to install it for you. This isn't something we're offering just yet, as we're still in the pilot phase of our SMETS2 installs.
    I think you'd be better off waiting for now.

So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?
    Hi @Ian31
    First of all you'd need to arrange a gas safe engineer to carry out a maximum load test, to see if it's safe to downgrade it to a normal gas meter.
    Assuming it is, you'd then have to wait for us to install it for you. This isn't something we're offering just yet, as we're still in the pilot phase of our SMETS2 installs.
    I think you'd be better off waiting for now.

• Remote turn-off — Mentioned just once so far in this interesting thread.

Is anybody concerned that these meters can plunge individuals, communities or all smart users into cold darkness?

As an example, for years I’ve warned friends and colleagues of the risk that Google's Chrome auto-update system has way too much power. A standard installation has permission to change any file anywhere on my system at any time without my permission. Recently the worst happened and it is only good fortune that it only effected some Mac users. See Chrome Update Impacts Some macOS Systems - Google Chrome Help.

Smart meters seem to expose people, who chose to install this tech, to a similar risk. This could happen either through some accidental finger trouble, or some malicious actor getting all hacky with our grid in an attempt to make us vote Trump...

​Discuss!
  • Remote turn-off — Mentioned just once so far in this interesting thread.

Is anybody concerned that these meters can plunge individuals, communities or all smart users into cold darkness?

As an example, for years I’ve warned friends and colleagues of the risk that Google's Chrome auto-update system has way too much power. A standard installation has permission to change any file anywhere on my system at any time without my permission. Recently the worst happened and it is only good fortune that it only effected some Mac users. See Chrome Update Impacts Some macOS Systems - Google Chrome Help.

Smart meters seem to expose people, who chose to install this tech, to a similar risk. This could happen either through some accidental finger trouble, or some malicious actor getting all hacky with our grid in an attempt to make us vote Trump...

​Discuss!

• Hi my IHD is still not working, i know there was due to be a firmware upgrade in September, its almost October. Can you please give an update as I cant find any info, is there something that i need to do?

thanks

​Paul
  • Hi my IHD is still not working, i know there was due to be a firmware upgrade in September, its almost October. Can you please give an update as I cant find any info, is there something that i need to do?

thanks

​Paul

• Quote Originally Posted by 25 quid View Post
    Remote turn-off — Mentioned just once so far in this interesting thread.

​Discuss!
    Interesting points @25 quid
    I heard about that Chrome bug. A lot of Apple users (fanboys?!) were v unhappy. Though I suppose most of them use Safari anyway...

Back to smart meters. I'm not a smart meters expert, but I know that the infrastructure has been tested by GCHQ. Does that reassure you?

• Quote Originally Posted by 25 quid View Post
    Remote turn-off — Mentioned just once so far in this interesting thread.

​Discuss!
    I heard about that Chrome bug. A lot of Apple users (fanboys?!) were v unhappy. Though I suppose most of them use Safari anyway...

Back to smart meters. I'm not a smart meters expert, but I know that the infrastructure has been tested by GCHQ. Does that reassure you?

• hi paul
    presumably you’ve tried placing it near the meter and switch it off/on?
    Send a message in wattbot type message the team and ask pp to check their end. As far as i know the update hasn’t happened yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulKerr73 View Post
    Hi my IHD is still not working, i know there was due to be a firmware upgrade in September, its almost October. Can you please give an update as I cant find any info, is there something that i need to do?

thanks

​Paul
  • hi paul
    presumably you’ve tried placing it near the meter and switch it off/on?
    Send a message in wattbot type message the team and ask pp to check their end. As far as i know the update hasn’t happened yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulKerr73 View Post
    Hi my IHD is still not working, i know there was due to be a firmware upgrade in September, its almost October. Can you please give an update as I cant find any info, is there something that i need to do?

thanks

​Paul

• My IHD has never worked for electric. Gas is fine but for electric it just says it is connected to the meter network but not receiving all electricity meter data. It has said this now for several weeks and I have tried switching it off and then back on. Any help???
  • My IHD has never worked for electric. Gas is fine but for electric it just says it is connected to the meter network but not receiving all electricity meter data. It has said this now for several weeks and I have tried switching it off and then back on. Any help???

• Hi Marc,
    I enjoyed your Fanboy jibe... ;-) Google probably has the same absolute power over Windoze folk too.

I understand the infrastructure is a separate network from the general internet which should afford some protection. Shoulds are a great starting point and ought to make it harder for some malicious actors to get access — it doesn’t mean they can’t hack onto that network from some other interconnect point, or indeed social engineer (phish) some valid credentials from an unsuspecting overworked operator (such as PP).

Which leads us onto the other aspect, finger trouble. Nobody’s perfect and mistakes happen, what about access to that big remote on/off switch inside these meters? How hard is it for PP folk to get to that option? Even if it’s hard, your systems might erroneously allow access or go fizz/pop/become-skynet-sentient and issue the turn off command to all your customers... ​The system overall is only as secure as it’s weakest link; PP might be perfect, but what of your competitors?

Melodramatic perhaps, but a risk certainly. I’ll be staying dumb, the benefits don’t win for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

• Hi Marc,
    I enjoyed your Fanboy jibe... ;-) Google probably has the same absolute power over Windoze folk too.

I understand the infrastructure is a separate network from the general internet which should afford some protection. Shoulds are a great starting point and ought to make it harder for some malicious actors to get access — it doesn’t mean they can’t hack onto that network from some other interconnect point, or indeed social engineer (phish) some valid credentials from an unsuspecting overworked operator (such as PP).

Which leads us onto the other aspect, finger trouble. Nobody’s perfect and mistakes happen, what about access to that big remote on/off switch inside these meters? How hard is it for PP folk to get to that option? Even if it’s hard, your systems might erroneously allow access or go fizz/pop/become-skynet-sentient and issue the turn off command to all your customers... ​The system overall is only as secure as it’s weakest link; PP might be perfect, but what of your competitors?

Melodramatic perhaps, but a risk certainly. I’ll be staying dumb, the benefits don’t win for me.

• I realise Marc's comment is from 17 May, but what he said then about the Geo model is different to what I currently have.

My meters were installed 17 September, and the IHD model I have is a Trio II Touch Button (no physical buttons). Now with display problems after 2-1/2 weeks.

Hey @jelockwood
    Here you go

No, we don't provide the 'touch' version. Ours has buttons.

• I realise Marc's comment is from 17 May, but what he said then about the Geo model is different to what I currently have.

My meters were installed 17 September, and the IHD model I have is a Trio II Touch Button (no physical buttons). Now with display problems after 2-1/2 weeks.

Hey @jelockwood
    Here you go

No, we don't provide the 'touch' version. Ours has buttons.

• Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post
    I realise Marc's comment is from 17 May, but what he said then about the Geo model is different to what I currently have.

Hi schase
    the difference between the two displays is the trio 2 touch button has "buttons" that you touch to activate the various functions, the trio2 touch has an interactive screen that functions like a mobile/tablet screen. The display problems seem to be par for the course

• Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post
    I realise Marc's comment is from 17 May, but what he said then about the Geo model is different to what I currently have.

Hi schase
    the difference between the two displays is the trio 2 touch button has "buttons" that you touch to activate the various functions, the trio2 touch has an interactive screen that functions like a mobile/tablet screen. The display problems seem to be par for the course

• hi schase
    can you be more specific about "display problems"?
    Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post

• hi schase
    Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post

• https://community.purepla.net/thread...ty-consumption

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi schase
  • https://community.purepla.net/thread...ty-consumption

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi schase

• How to set budgets in the IHD?

I haven't figured out how best to set budgets in the IHD. This is what I did, and am not sure if it's correct.

• I totalled my annual spend and divided that by 12, for a monthly budget.
    • I included VAT--is that correct?.
    • I included the membership fee, as the meters store the daily standing charge information.
    • I set 'Seasonal Adjustment' (no idea what the algorithm is to determine this).

The daily budget indicators are almost always indicating 'Predicted Over Budget'; I'm guessing this might be due to the fact that there is not yet four weeks worth of data (another reason I'm dreading having to possibly reset my IHD, as I assume it will lose all of the stored history).

Still trying to get my head around the usage graphs. Oh, how I wish my statement date was the 1st, not the 20th (and I did ask PP about this when I joined, with no satisfaction).
  • How to set budgets in the IHD?

I haven't figured out how best to set budgets in the IHD. This is what I did, and am not sure if it's correct.

• I totalled my annual spend and divided that by 12, for a monthly budget.
    • I included VAT--is that correct?.
    • I included the membership fee, as the meters store the daily standing charge information.
    • I set 'Seasonal Adjustment' (no idea what the algorithm is to determine this).

The daily budget indicators are almost always indicating 'Predicted Over Budget'; I'm guessing this might be due to the fact that there is not yet four weeks worth of data (another reason I'm dreading having to possibly reset my IHD, as I assume it will lose all of the stored history).

Still trying to get my head around the usage graphs. Oh, how I wish my statement date was the 1st, not the 20th (and I did ask PP about this when I joined, with no satisfaction).

• How to REALLY read my Landis+Gyr electricity meter

I had smart meters installed 17-Sep, and whilst the gas meter is easy to read, the electricity meter takes a bit more work--a lot more than than the instructions provided: "Hold button A for two seconds and the default screen will display - the total units of kWh. For additional data screens, press A again".

If only. What I have to go through:
    Press button A for two seconds: screen with garbage displayed
    Try it again: press button A again for two seconds
    Press button A again
    Press button A again
    Press...
    eventually the screen will show a display: not kWh, but 'Credit Mode Bal'
    Press Button A again nine more times, cycling through lots of information before getting to something that looks like kWh: 'Total Act Import'

I've cycled through all the display screens; there are 32 of them, displaying virtually everything save my NI number.

Being the geek that I am, I'd like to know which is the correct screen for showing the meter reading that is to be sent, as there are several with kWh displayed.

Also curious to know what button B is on both electricity and gas meters. I was told by the Magnum installer not to press it (I'm guessing that pressing it might cause a universal catastrophe far greater than global warming or a no-deal Brexit).

No luck finding current online manuals for th L+G meters
  • How to REALLY read my Landis+Gyr electricity meter

I had smart meters installed 17-Sep, and whilst the gas meter is easy to read, the electricity meter takes a bit more work--a lot more than than the instructions provided: "Hold button A for two seconds and the default screen will display - the total units of kWh. For additional data screens, press A again".

If only. What I have to go through:
    Press button A for two seconds: screen with garbage displayed
    Try it again: press button A again for two seconds
    Press button A again
    Press button A again
    Press...
    eventually the screen will show a display: not kWh, but 'Credit Mode Bal'
    Press Button A again nine more times, cycling through lots of information before getting to something that looks like kWh: 'Total Act Import'

I've cycled through all the display screens; there are 32 of them, displaying virtually everything save my NI number.

Being the geek that I am, I'd like to know which is the correct screen for showing the meter reading that is to be sent, as there are several with kWh displayed.

Also curious to know what button B is on both electricity and gas meters. I was told by the Magnum installer not to press it (I'm guessing that pressing it might cause a universal catastrophe far greater than global warming or a no-deal Brexit).

No luck finding current online manuals for th L+G meters

• Just press button B go on i dare you.
  • Just press button B go on i dare you.

• WE had our smart meters installed on Monday and the fitter left with the IHD reading "Not commissioned". He said it would connect soon. Two days later and there is no change. What information do you need to fix this?
    Thanks
  • WE had our smart meters installed on Monday and the fitter left with the IHD reading "Not commissioned". He said it would connect soon. Two days later and there is no change. What information do you need to fix this?
    Thanks

• our smart meter was installed yesterday and every since then the IHD has just said connecting to smart meter and not commissioned. The engineer said it could take up to 24 hours to come on but that hasn't been the case.
  • our smart meter was installed yesterday and every since then the IHD has just said connecting to smart meter and not commissioned. The engineer said it could take up to 24 hours to come on but that hasn't been the case.